Rush Limbaugh dead at 70

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
Wow, what a shock (even though we knew we should have been ready for it) and what sad news.

He was brilliant in his thinking and plans. He always questioned premises that were loaded, traps or deceiving. He always took the top off or blew the lid off of liberal schemes with absurdity (because of their absurdity) and with humor. Just when you thought the liberals were speaking truths he'd show you how it was all a scam filled with lies.

He too was always vindicated even if it took 4 or 5 years for science (or any other institute) to catch up. But like Reepicheep, the fictional Narnian mouse that volunteered to go to the other side, I'm sure Rush bravely faced the roller-coaster ride that is death and now he most assuredly does not want to return to earth from his place in heaven. It was his time to go.

So in fact, for his desire to remain in heaven, this should bring us great joy - even through and in spite of that empty feeling we have on the inside.

John 3:16

budoslavic

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
0c19cf49863e6d78.jpeg

Link to above screenshot post.

Edit.

Last edited:

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I remember one time walking into a traveler's hotel (like Motel 6 or La Quinta) in Southern California to check in around 1990 and they had Limbaugh's radio show playing over speakers in the lobby! An elderly lady was checking in in front of me and she was listening and chuckling to what he was saying. I asked her, "So, you like Rush?" and she replied, "I never miss his show if I can help it. He's one of the greatest things to happen to radio in my lifetime."

In the late 80s and early 90s, restaurants and bars in the South and Midwest would have "Rush rooms." Rush's show was usually broadcast live in the middle of the day (then broadcast again as a recording at night), so they would use the daytime broadcast to attract lunch crowd customers to their venues. I remember walking into restaurants in Mississippi and Louisiana in those days and seeing people eating lunch in the Rush rooms listening to the show. It was usually working class or lower-middle-class people of all ages. I had my car radio preset to the local talk radio station so I could listen to him during the day if I was driving around.

Some of his radio skits were really funny, especially during the Clinton presidency. He had voice actors mocking the Clintons over their Travelgate and other scandals. He also had a long-running joke in which whenever he said the word "Hillary" Hail to the Chief would automatically play in the background. His mockery of the Clintons was very influential and I think likely led to the push to impeach Bill. I watched his short-lived TV show also. It was very funny. I'm not sure why it didn't last longer.

Liberals tried to copy his show, but their efforts never succeeded. One reason, of course being, that it's much easier to mock liberal lunacy than time-tested conservative ideals, and their criticism of him sounded mean-spirited and whiney. One time I was in the cafeteria at the Pentagon around 2000, and a dweeby-looking, middle-aged government civilian in front of me at the cashier was ridiculing Rush about his recently diagnosed hearing loss. I responded, "I think celebrating someone getting a serious medical condition is vile and hateful. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy." The guy immediately and defensively replied, "Oh, I didn't mean it that way..."

I think the Bush presidency that followed Clinton may have actually hurt Limbaugh's influence. He seemed to be at his best when he was mocking the Clintons while they were in power. He was a leader in the "resistance." It's too bad that the "revolution" he helped lead ended up getting a neocon in office like Bush instead of someone with a more populist platform, like Buchanan.

Last edited:

Peacock
Gold Member
Such an important man in my opinion. He was always appreciative and respectful of his callers, unlike the other conservative talk radio hosts who became bored, arrogant and banal.

He also never fell for the “never Trump” idea, because he, like Trump, actually understood what Americans are like. He once said something like: “people who are shocked at Trump’s campaign don’t understand how America talks.” I thought that was insightful.

He cannot simply be dismissed as a “boomer”, because American conservatives are indebted to him. We only see so far because of dissident boomers like Rush.

Limbaugh was not a dissident, never was, he was all over the airwaves, a well-funded, highly promoted mass media pundit. He's there to keep the conservative Boomers in the neoliberal/neocon plantation, a Hegelian dialectic where they're told that all their problems are because of "libtards", not the people who fund him and push civnat open borders, outsourcing ("free trade"), or selling endless war for Israel as patriotism.

The Rush Limbaugh concept of conservatism is the same social agenda that the liberal had 10-15 years before, combined with a lot harder shilling for zionist wars. In the 1990s when liberalism was still relatively benig (remember, even Obama was against gay marriage in 2008), liberals of that era seemed actually saner than conservatives, who at that point fell completely under neocon control, with stalwart real conservatives like Pat Buchanan and Phyllis Schlafly being pushed aside.

If you understand that isn't much difference between the Clintons and the Bushes, you will understand why Limbaugh was just a gatekeeper.

SilentCal

Robin
Limbaugh was not a dissident, never was, he was all over the airwaves, a well-funded, highly promoted mass media pundit. He's there to keep the conservative Boomers in the neoliberal/neocon plantation, a Hegelian dialectic where they're told that all their problems are because of "libtards", not the people who fund him and push civnat open borders, outsourcing ("free trade"), or selling endless war for Israel as patriotism.

The Rush Limbaugh concept of conservatism is the same social agenda that the liberal had 10-15 years before, combined with a lot harder shilling for zionist wars. In the 1990s when liberalism was still relatively benig (remember, even Obama was against gay marriage in 2008), liberals of that era seemed actually saner than conservatives, who at that point fell completely under neocon control, with stalwart real conservatives like Pat Buchanan and Phyllis Schlafly being pushed aside.

If you understand that isn't much difference between the Clintons and the Bushes, you will understand why Limbaugh was just a gatekeeper.
As far as I know, he was a dissident in the world of mass media, in the sense that there were no other conservative voices in the news media when he got started.

He supported Trump too, which was not the neocon position.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich

While I agree that Rush wasn't intellectually in the same light as Pat Buchanan, I don't agree here. He embraced Populism, and paved the way for the MAGA movement by identifying with the cultural identify of Heritage Americans. Having grown up listening to Rush with my father as part f my childhood, he provided a means for everyone to get involved in political discourse, educated them on the Constitution, and offered insight to counter the liberal talking points promoted by the fake news media.

Rush was not always right on every issue... but then again, name me one viable political figure who gets everything right. He pushed the Overton window in the correct direction. Buchanan, the original modern American Firster wasn't politically viable. His books and material are spot on, but the political means weren't there.

For that we are all sorely missing a part of our civic participation and education.

Peacock
Gold Member

Rush was not always right on every issue... but then again, name me one viable political figure who gets everything right. He pushed the Overton window in the correct direction. Buchanan, the original modern American Firster wasn't politically viable. His books and material are spot on, but the political means weren't there.

For that we are all sorely missing a part of our civic participation and education.

Buchanan was actively neutralized, it wasn't that his ideas weren't politically viable, in fact they are far superior as a real conservative across the line to those you hear on AM radio, and more rooted into the American conservative heritage. The whole neocon established actively conspired against Buchanan, that's why his influence waned. For example, they funded Dole to run against him in the primaries, and they pushed him out of publications like the National Review that they took over.

Bob Dole was actually a decent candidate, perhaps the best GOP candidate before Trump, but he was clearly promoted in order to steal Buchanan's thunder. Buchanan was also more dangerous to neocons because he was Catholic, and as such, less prone to zionist programming and more aware of cultural dynamics, American Catholics being more grounded into their cultural heritage as Irish, Italian, Polish etc.

Dusty

Peacock
Gold Member
While I agree that Rush wasn't intellectually in the same light as Pat Buchanan, I don't agree here. He embraced Populism, and paved the way for the MAGA movement by identifying with the cultural identify of Heritage Americans. Having grown up listening to Rush with my father as part f my childhood, he provided a means for everyone to get involved in political discourse, educated them on the Constitution, and offered insight to counter the liberal talking points promoted by the fake news media.

Buchanan was vehemently against W’s Iraq invasion, while Rush was a major cheerleader for it. I have to say, I listened to Rush in those days and I was pro-invasion because of that, and I was very wrong. Buchanan was right, but I dismissed him.

If I recall, Buchanan was even against the first Iraq war in 91. He made a comment about guys with names like Leroy and Deshawn dying for the interests of guys name Irving and Hirsh, and took a lot of heat for it.

edit, found the actual quote.

1990: In an August 25,1990, column, Buchanan criticized commentators urging military intervention in Iraq, naming Abe Rosenthal, Richard Perle, Charles Krauthamer and Henry Kissinger :alien: :alien: :alien: :alien:. On August 29th, he wrote the following:

"’The civilized world must win this fight,’ the editors thunder. But, if it comes to war, it will not be the ‘civilized world’ humping up that bloody road to Baghdad; it will be American kids with names like McAllister, Murphy, Gonzales, and Leroy Brown."

Last edited:

renotime

Ostrich
Gold Member
I went to visit my liberal cousins for Christmas. My right wing aunt randomly brought up that Rush would die soon and all my cousins basically started cheering. But they would have put their head in the sand if you brought up Obama droning women and children or Kamala keeping potentially innocent black men on death row.

When McCain and Bush died all the democrats shed their tears for great men. Haha. All those clowns ever did was push for war war war.

Rush never hurt a soul, unless it was with words. A true titan of free speech. Rest in peace.

What "well funded" are you speaking of? Liberals went after his sponsors and did the usual noisy boycott thing. Snapple being a case in point--they owed much of their growth to his show, then caved when put under pressure. And he grew to be all over the airwaves because ordinary people liked what he had to say and AM radio stations had been written off as irrelevant and were not under oligarch control--unmanaged capitalism at work. And liberals tried to undo that by threatening FCC "equal time" or whatever.

What was well funded was Air America, the failed liberal radio network that was started to counter Rush and kept going, until they threw in the towel ten years ago, by $1M diverted from the Boys & Girls Club in NY, and $4M loan from an oligarch.

Up until Rush there was no popular voice of conservatism in media that actually got to ordinary people. The people tuning in were mainly working class, who could tune in during work hours, and as they outlived their usefulness to the Democrats, he directed them to the other side. I remember seeing an Onion lampoon of "truck driver to address nation today" by calling into Rush's show. Well excuse me Onion, I suppose people who earn their living doing things we actually need should be excluded from politics. I understand the Onion is a lampoon, but the underlying current to the joke was that hourly workers should shut up, enjoy their bread and circuses, and vote Democrat.

I do not see the point in damning someone for not being completely perfect in hindsight, when they were one of the very, very few to have done anything positive that actually reached a number of people. Had it not been for him, the liberal, and only the liberal, point of view would have dominated unchecked for years.

stugatz

Pelican
I never loved Rush as much as my parents did, and found much of his show to be boomercringe Reagan worship - keep in mind, though, that without him there would have NEVER been an alternative media. I doubt Fox News would have ever been thought up in the early 2000s, since Limbaugh proved that there was a very strong desire for right-slanted commentary and news.

That 1994 takeback of both the House and Senate was in large part egged on by his radio show. (The Republicans controlled the Senate for much of Reagan's presidency, which was already a sea change - but I think the last time they controlled both chambers was briefly during Harry Truman. Before then - I don't know, maybe pre-Roosevelt? Republicans had really not controlled Congress for the better part of the 20th Century.)

The Republican party has certainly been a mixed bag since Reagan changed the party - I'd argue somewhat more towards the negative, as a lot of our current problems can be blamed on policies they pushed. However, Rush was a gateway drug towards voices that were anti-establishment, and I can't see that as anything but a positive.

I also liked his relationship with his audience. One reason I struggle to watch Nick Fuentes regularly is because he's an egomaniac that braces himself before reading his annoying superchats. I understand that a lot of them are going to be terrible - but they support you and just sent you money, Nick. You don't have to kiss your audience's butt, but you ought to suck it up and appreciate that you'd be a nobody if it wasn't for them.

Last edited:

Peacock
Gold Member
What "well funded" are you speaking of? Liberals went after his sponsors and did the usual noisy boycott thing. Snapple being a case in point--they owed much of their growth to his show, then caved when put under pressure. And he grew to be all over the airwaves because ordinary people liked what he had to say and AM radio stations had been written off as irrelevant and were not under oligarch control--unmanaged capitalism at work. And liberals tried to undo that by threatening FCC "equal time" or whatever.

I do not see the point in damning someone for not being completely perfect in hindsight, when they were one of the very, very few to have done anything positive that actually reached a number of people. Had it not been for him, the liberal, and only the liberal, point of view would have dominated unchecked for years.

What you had instead was a fake left-right dialectic, where both parties to this piece of political theater where in favor of gutting the middle class through NAFTA and globalist "free trade", open borders, and fighting forever wars for Israel, which his working class audience was manipulated into supporting. I get that some guys have a soft spot for the man, having grown up with their pop listening to Rush, but the guy really doesn't stand the most basic scrutiny.

By this time you should have figured out that there is no substantial difference between the Bushes and the Clintons. Rush got half the country to hate the latter while believing that the former were good guys working for them.

A true America First conservative would have never seen the airwaves of commercial radio. Limbaugh was launched by radio stations like WABC, WOR (NYC), WJNO (Palm Beach). If you think those media outlets are run by pure "unmanaged capitalism", you really haven't figured what these media are for. Guys like E. Michael Jones who have a real conservative message have toiled in obscurity for decades printing out newsletters and magazines from their basement while Rush is on 600 radio stations including the Armed Services Network...

I think you're right. Rush wasn't as much of a nationalist as I would have wanted, but it's false to assume that if only he was further to the right, supported Buchanan, pushed different candidates, etc. that it would have solved or dramatically changed where we find ourselves today. If Buchanan won he would have been gobbled up and neutered by the swamp. Consider Rush's strong support of Trump to be the delayed endorsement of Buchanan's political ideas. Even Trump with all of his mass media experience, business sense, innate political talent and massive popular support was checked by the demonic evil that rules DC, if you're not on the same page as them it doesn't even matter if you are president.

The degeneration of present-day Western society is a terminal disease, there aren't "legislative solutions to civilizational challenges", even the best, moral policies will be rejected by a sinful and degenerate populace. They were just replaying an interview Rush did with Clarence Thomas who was saying that when he was being viciously attacked during his confirmation, he and his wife treated it as spiritual warfare and responded to it with intense prayer in a close circle of friends. The revival of the Christian West begins with a very personal, spiritual renewal among individuals and families, most importantly among us men, the leaders and protectors of our families.

Whether Rush had been threatened to not cover certain subjects or he thought it would limit his audience and reach, he dropped enough truth bombs to let you know where his heart was. For a moderate Republican in a lot of his positions, he sure got more vile hate than anyone else on the right until Trump. It's a stretch to say he did it all for money, from the choked up guest hosts to crying callers these past days, you can see it wasn't an act. He also spoke favorably of Sam Francis a few years ago, one of the most based ever political writers on the right.

A few quotes from Rush:

Speaking about the NBA on his shoe in 2004: 'I think it's time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs.'

During one of his shows in 2013, Limbaugh said: 'If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world.'

Addressing a Central American migrant caravan heading toward the US in 2018, Limbaugh said: 'The objective is to dilute and eventually eliminate or erase what is known as the distinct or unique American culture... This is why people call this an invasion.'

A few reflections worth reading:

RIP Rush

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I think you're right. Rush wasn't as much of a nationalist as I would have wanted, but it's false to assume that if only he was further to the right, supported Buchanan, pushed different candidates, etc. that it would have solved or dramatically changed where we find ourselves today. If Buchanan won he would have been gobbled up and neutered by the swamp. Consider Rush's strong support of Trump to be the delayed endorsement of Buchanan's political ideas. Even Trump with all of his mass media experience, business sense, innate political talent and massive popular support was checked by the demonic evil that rules DC, if you're not on the same page as them it doesn't even matter if you are president.

The degeneration of present-day Western society is a terminal disease, there aren't "legislative solutions to civilizational challenges", even the best, moral policies will be rejected by a sinful and degenerate populace. They were just replaying an interview Rush did with Clarence Thomas who was saying that when he was being viciously attacked during his confirmation, he and his wife treated it as spiritual warfare and responded to it with intense prayer in a close circle of friends. The revival of the Christian West begins with a very personal, spiritual renewal among individuals and families, most importantly among us men, the leaders and protectors of our families.

Whether Rush had been threatened to not cover certain subjects or he thought it would limit his audience and reach, he dropped enough truth bombs to let you know where his heart was. For a moderate Republican in a lot of his positions, he sure got more vile hate than anyone else on the right until Trump. It's a stretch to say he did it all for money, from the choked up guest hosts to crying callers these past days, you can see it wasn't an act. He also spoke favorably of Sam Francis a few years ago, one of the most based ever political writers on the right.

A few quotes from Rush:

Speaking about the NBA on his shoe in 2004: 'I think it's time to get rid of this whole National Basketball Association. Call it the TBA, the Thug Basketball Association, and stop calling them teams. Call 'em gangs.'

During one of his shows in 2013, Limbaugh said: 'If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world.'

Addressing a Central American migrant caravan heading toward the US in 2018, Limbaugh said: 'The objective is to dilute and eventually eliminate or erase what is known as the distinct or unique American culture... This is why people call this an invasion.'

A few reflections worth reading:

RIP Rush
People like to criticize after the fact... but often lose sight of the person in the context of their criticism.

There is legitimate criticism regarding any public official... But Rush continued keep on the correct side of the culture war, and was not down with the PC crap. Even last 2 weeks he was making fun of AOC for her fake me too movement while boomer soy men were calling into the show to say he was a big doodoo stinkie head.