Church Russian Orthodox Church

Kadikoy

Banned
Orthodox
Does anyone have recommendations for systematically curated Russian Church content, in the Russian language with English subtitles? For example, my impression is that the reposed Father Daniel Sysoev created a lot of highly-edifying media content, but only a small amount of it is translated into English:

Anything like documentary series, or translated sermons, etc.

A lot of it has been translated into English. My home parish has many of his books in English.

nagareboshi

Kingfisher
Orthodox
There is a TV show called "My Path to God" produced by a Russian priest, and it is very interesting, with some full English translations available:

Back from the other world
A story about Vasily Lazarev who died, saw Christ and came back to life (+VIDEO)

“I Ran Out of the catholic Church, Vowing Never to Return" (Includes Video)

“What kind of a Professor are you, if you don’t know the Lord’s Prayer?” (Includes Video)

“I understood that there was no Truth in what I was doing” (includes Video)
Interview with Ivan Katanayev, a former skinhead

“I Read a Ton of Anti-Christian Books and… Understood the Truth of Orthodoxy.”
Interview with Alexander Lyulka, former atheist (includes VIDEO)

The Ouija Board Spelled, “Evil”
The story of Elena Smirnova, a former witch

"Everything that Neo-Pagans said about Christianity was A lie"
Interview with former neo-pagan Ivan Liskov

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox

RUSSIAN CHURCH CANONIZES NEW MARTYR MIKHAIL KRASNOTSVETOV

During its session in Moscow yesterday, the Holy Synod of the Russian Orthodox Church added another name to the Synaxis of the New Martyrs and Confessors of the Russian Church.

Having heard a report regarding the relevant petition from His Eminence Metropolitan Dimitry of Tobolsk and Tyumen, the Synod resolved to canonize Fr. Mikhail Krasnotsvetov, to be celebrated on September 30/October 12, the day of his martyrdom at the hands of the godless Bolsheviks, reports Patriarchia.ru.

Holy Hieromartyr Mikhail, pray to God for us!

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox

OrthoSerb

Robin
Orthodox
Is this not the case?
It is the case. I guess the logic is that the Moscow Patriarchate is not in communion with the Patriarchate of Alexandria ever since they recognised the schismatic structure in the Ukraine and now they're being petitioned by priests who don't want to be in communion with the schismatics either. And therefore if you're not in communion the territorial jurisdiction is a moot point. I can't claim to be an expert in canon law but that's my dumbed down lay person's understanding of the position.

OrthoSerb

Robin
Orthodox
Technically in the canons Alexandria's jurisdiction goes only to the southern tip of Sudan.
I heard something to this effect recently. However this wouldn't by itself justify the decision for a couple of reasons:

(1) there is no reference to this territorial distinction i.e. the MP is accepting all priests from the Patriarchate of Alexandria, not just the one's that are south of the point you mention.

(2) the 17th canon of the 4th Ecumenical Council sets a time limit for raising territorial disputes of 30 years i.e. if a Bishop exercises de facto control over a territory someone can't come in and dispute this centuries later. This canon was actually cited by the MP in relation to the dispute in the Ukraine where the EP suddenly claimed to still have jurisdiction after more than 300 years of saying nothing. If we're consistent, you can't only discover your lack of recognition of someone's territorial claim when it becomes convenient.

Again I'm a lay person and if I'm saying something incorrect then please say so. For the record I support the MP's position in Ukraine, I'm just trying to be objective.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I am just curious as laypeople as to where we all get to pass judgement on where church politics end and where the Truth begins. I dont think the Russian Church is wrong or the EP is right or anything of the sort one way or the other...

I know nothing and dont presume to know anything...I am asking as a position of inquiry... Maybe someone more learned in the local areas can opine...

But at what point do rival factions get to claim being in/out of schism as a reason for new patronage?

josemiguel

Robin
Orthodox
Some good news, Craig Trulia and Father John Whiteford talked about the MP Exarchate in Africa.

In short no it is not a case of parallel jurisdiction, no 2nd altars have been setup by the MP like the situation of the US, rather the existing altars flipped jurisdiction, so technically not a violation of the canons. In the case of Ukraine, the Schismatics had set up 2nd altars, which the EP then recognized as legitimate.

Fr John did say he would be against such an action, even if canonical, if Alexandria hadn't communed with Schismatics.

OrthoSerb

Robin
Orthodox
I am just curious as laypeople as to where we all get to pass judgement on where church politics end and where the Truth begins. I dont think the Russian Church is wrong or the EP is right or anything of the sort one way or the other...
We should try to stay on the Royal Path. We can't totally ignore things if they affect the Church. For example, that may lead to us neglecting the suffering of those who are having their churches seized in the Ukraine. At the same time we are not personally called to resolve these problems ourselves, issue statements or pour fuel onto the fire out of a misplaced sense of zeal. I personally know enough that I'm not neutral on what happened in the Ukraine and have no problems explaining why if someone asks me. On the other hand, apart from prayer for everyone involved, there is little else I can contribute so I stay largely silent.

Father Seraphim Rose has covered these type of topics on Church politics from a pastoral perspective in many places and always offers a measured and discerning approach. The below is some advice in relation to a different time and set of issues but still applicable in this situation.

At the height of the correctness mania in 1976, Fr. Seraphim explained to one convert why his path could not be with this type of "zealotry." "Their 'strictness,'" he wrote, "forces them to become so involved in church politics that spiritual questions become quite secondary. I know for myself that if I would have to sit down and think out for myself exactly which shade of 'zealotry' is the 'correct' one today—I will lose all peace of mind and be constantly preoccupied with questions of breaking communion, of how this will seem to others, of 'what will the Greeks think' (and which Greeks?), and 'what will the Metropolitan think?' And I will not have time or inclination to become inspired by the wilderness, by the Holy Fathers, by the marvelous saints of ancient and modern times who lived in a higher world. In our times especially, it is not possible to be entirely detached from these questions, but let us place first things first."

In another letter he wrote: "We who wish to remain in the true tradition of Orthodoxy will have to be zealous and firm in our Orthodoxy without being fanatics, and without presuming to teach our bishops what they should do. Above all we must strive to preserve the true fragrance of Orthodoxy, being at least a little 'not of this world,' detached from all the cares and politics even of the Church, nourishing ourselves on the otherworldly food the Church gives us in such abundance."

I know nothing and dont presume to know anything...I am asking as a position of inquiry... Maybe someone more learned in the local areas can opine...

But at what point do rival factions get to claim being in/out of schism as a reason for new patronage?
We're already at that point, or rather past it. For a number of years now the Moscow Patriarchate and the Patriarchate of Constantinople have not been in communion.

NickK

Banned
Orthodox
Some good news, Craig Trulia and Father John Whiteford talked about the MP Exarchate in Africa.

In short no it is not a case of parallel jurisdiction, no 2nd altars have been setup by the MP like the situation of the US, rather the existing altars flipped jurisdiction, so technically not a violation of the canons. In the case of Ukraine, the Schismatics had set up 2nd altars, which the EP then recognized as legitimate.

Fr John did say he would be against such an action, even if canonical, if Alexandria hadn't communed with Schismatics.
It is clearly a violation of multiple canons.
Not surprising from the "Patriarchate" that sunctioned multiple spoons for Divine Communion, encouraged vaccination, signed the Havanna document with the Roman para-Synagogue and has endorsed and continued Sergius' phronema (i.e. to be a lapdog of the secular Russian KGB-led state).

Last edited:

OrthoSerb

Robin
Orthodox
Not surprising from the "Patriarchate" that sunctioned multiple spoons for Divine Communion, encouraged vaccination, signed the Havanna document with the Roman para-Synagogue and has endorsed and continued Sergius' phronema (i.e. to be a lapdog of the secular Russian KGB-led state).
This is a very uncharitable and unnecessary statement which doesn't reflect well on you. It would be one thing to simply speak dispassionately of the canons, but you're just throwing mud at a local Church in a red-blooded manner. The defamatory statements actually have nothing to do with the canons you are alluding to and variations of these statements could equally be leveled at the EP. However nothing positive will result from such back and forth. We should have more self-control.

Yallbeparticular

Sparrow
Orthodox
MP is giving a gut punch to the Greeks in retaliation over EP’s wrongdoing in Ukraine. What is sad to me is that the bishops care so much about their power and territory, but, as you mention, they try to outdo each other with who can kiss the Pope’s ring. Ecumenism is the biggest threat the Church faces now.