Ruth Ginsburg Dead

Hypno

Crow
In reading some of the coverage, her fans in the media laud her for her determination and courage to push her extremist views, and her judicial activism (changing the law without any authority to do so, particularly from the Legislature).

Will be interesting to see if those qualities are equally recognized in her replacement. For example, and anti-abortion justice like Amy Comey Barrett.

Hypno

Crow
Sen. Ted Cruz on Friday urged his fellow lawmakers to nominate and confirm a Supreme Court justice before the Nov. 3 presidential election following the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, warning of a looming “constitutional crisis” if the seat remains vacant.

“We cannot have Election Day come and go with a four-four court,” Cruz said during an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity. “A four-four court that is equally divided cannot decide anything. And I think we risk a constitutional crisis if we do not have a nine-justice Supreme Court, particularly when there is such a risk of a contested election.”

The Texas Republican — one of President Trump’s 20 potential nominees to the court, according to a list issued last week by the White House — called on Trump to nominate Ginsburg’s successor next week.

Hypno

Crow
Guidance for Funerals, Memorials, Vigils, and Funeral Homes
Tuesday, March 24, 2020

To stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser issued Mayor’s Order: Prohibition on Mass Gatherings during Public Health Emergency – coronavirus (COVID-19). Below is guidance for funerals, memorials, vigils, and funeral homes until further notice.

Deaths Due to Any Cause:
Families and clergy should limit the amount of people gathered for funeral, memorial, and vigil services to less than the posted guidelines issued by the DC Department of Health (DC Health), with social distancing best practices implemented to reduce the spread of COVID-19. For example, distance chairs at least six feet apart, create six feet of distance between each other while sitting in a pew, and avoid handshakes and hugging.

Deaths Due to COVID-19:

Mortuary and funeral home workers should always follow existing guidelines for safe work practices (e.g. biosafety guidance). When handling human remains with known or suspected COVID-19 infection, workers must be protected from exposure to infected blood and body fluids or to contaminated objects and surfaces.
Workers should use standard precautions to ensure protection from body fluids splashing or contaminating eyes, mouth, nose, hands or clothing. At a minimum, mortuary workers should:
  • Wear latex or nitrile, nonsterile gloves when handling potentially infectious materials.
  • Wear heavy-duty gloves over the latex/nitrile gloves if there is a risk of cuts, puncture wounds or other injuries that break the skin.
  • Wear a clean, long-sleeved fluid-resistant or impermeable gown to protect the clothing.
  • Use a plastic face shield or a surgical mask and goggles to protect the face, eyes, nose and mouth from potentially infectious body fluids if there is a risk of splashing. If there is a risk of aerosol generation while handling human remains, use respiratory protection as specified.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), embalming is allowed. For deaths due to COVID-19, families and viewers should have at least six feet between them and the casket to avoid touching the body.
For more information and resources on the District’s COVID-19 response, visit coronavirus.dc.gov.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I think it was more to convince people to vote for him, like "If you vote for me, then in my next term I'll nominate at least one of these to the SC."

Now with RBG, it's an interesting strategy. What if he waits and says he'll nominate someone after the election, as a way of getting people to vote for him? Or would it be better to nominate someone now, and earn votes based on what you did as compared to what you will do?

Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Do it now. I agree that Trump has a better chance of winning the election if the seat is open, but it isn't worth the risk.

homersheineken

Kingfisher
Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Do it now. I agree that Trump has a better chance of winning the election if the seat is open, but it isn't worth the risk.

How do you figure he has a better chance? "Undecided" voters will say electors should decide? If so, they already did, in 2016 with Trump, he's still president.

Even if you don't think that, this election won't be decided by true democracy or votes, it will be mail-in malarky and lotsa lawyering.

dicknixon72

Pelican
:squintlol: I think this is the best distillation of cuckery I’ve seen. Just needs a bow tie to go with it.

“If you defeat your enemy, then they win”

Its the equivalent of crossing a busy road when you have the right of way even though you see a car speeding towards you at 45MPH. You're morally and legally correct in your actions, but you're also a dead hood ornament on a Buick.

356prober

I hope the President and Senate can confirm a new justice soon. If Trump loses the election I hope they can at least do it before Biden takes office.
Considering their success making the election a legal stalemate with mail in ballots and with no possibility of a majority to prevail in the SCOTUS, it’s more likely the Dems will have the Speaker assume the Presidency by default. By design, the opposition has metasticised the legal process.
Vote Republican in every contest and in person at your polling place. The vote is our last defense. We must take back the Congress. The CCP virus is no threat. You are fearfully and wonderfully made...

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Take it with a grain of salt.

@NeonRevolt: "Washington Insider Thread.
Claims RBG really did die in 2019, and was kept in order to roll her out at this time.
Would make sense, considering the edits I found in the Supreme Court recordings back then.
h/t 8bit
"

Last edited:

CynicalContrarian

Owl
Gold Member
Now I'm of the opinion that "rest in peace" has far more relevance than most folk give it credit for.

IE. a spiritual sleep state until the Day Of Judgement, as opposed to a direct transition to Heaven or hell.

Either way.
Ruth's spiritual scales could well weigh rather heavily...

@Stonetoss :
"Ginsburg meeting all those aborted fetuses now :hmm: "

Considering their success making the election a legal stalemate with mail in ballots and with no possibility of a majority to prevail in the SCOTUS, it’s more likely the Dems will have the Speaker assume the Presidency by default. By design, the opposition has metasticised the legal process.
Vote Republican in every contest and in person at your polling place. The vote is our last defense. We must take back the Congress. The CCP virus is no threat. You are fearfully and wonderfully made...

The Speaker assumes the Presidency if the President and Vice President die around the same time. That's unlikely. The House of Representatives will decide who becomes president if neither Trump nor Biden wins a majority of the electoral college. That's unlikely as well, as there's no strong third-party candidate. That would likely require Trump electors to defect in favor of someone else, and cause a third party candidate to win a swing state. That won't happen. A more realistic scenario is what happened in 2000, where the election is decided by a close swing state and the Supreme Court decides the election.

ball dont lie

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The Republican party in recent decades has been a bunch of cucks. It will be interesting to see if they have the courage to get a new justice confirmed soon, or if they will cave to the Democrats.

For more than 3 years now Trump has been doing all the heavy lifting. Even with 'Never Trump', impeachment, RussiaBS, everything.

I will be surprised if they really go 100% at this. Maybe a lame duck candidate and give up. But hope springs eternal!