Saints Saint Paisios

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Thought I'd start a thread on Saint Paisios with a few words he had on clergy...
– Geronda, someone brought an Orthodox priest wearing only trousers [without his cassock] to the monastery. Should we have asked for his blessing?

What blessing? You should have told the person who brought him, no matter how important he was, “Forgive us, but it is a rule in our monastery to give cassocks to priests who are not wearing one. To have a priest come to an Orthodox women’s monastery wearing only his trousers! That is inappropriate.” When the person who brought him has no shame, and when the priest himself is not ashamed for having come without his cassock, why should you be embarrassed to ask him to put one on? I once met a young archimandrite wearing laymen’s clothing at an airport. He was going abroad and introduced himself, “I am Father so and so,” he said. “Where is your cassock?” was my answer. Of course, I did not prostrate in front of him.

– Geronda, some people claim that a modernized clergy will be better able to help people.

When Patriarch Demetrios visited the seminary of the Holy Cross in the United States, a few pious American students went up to him and said, “Your Holiness, don’t you think it’s time for clergy to be more up to date?” The Patriarchs response was, “Saint Cosmas said that when clergy turn into laymen, laymen will turn into demons.” Wasn’t that a good answer? Then they prepared this luxurious suite for him with a fancy bed and so on. The moment he saw it, he said, “Is this where I am supposed to stay, in this room? You’d better bring me a simple cot. When a clergyman becomes worldly, he becomes the devil’s candidate.” (Spiritual Counsels vol. I, pp. 358-359)
I love straight talkers.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
My Godmother gave me this photo of him mounted on a piece of wood. Much like Elder Ephraim, it is hard to look at him and not be comforted. He doesn't seem of this world. His life is amazing. As a young man he enlisted in the Army to fight the communists though he took a job as a radioman so he wouldn't have to kill. He postponed becoming a monk in order to do his duty to support his nation. He even reprimanded his commanding officer for blaspheming.
1618031824151.png

Grow Bag

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Thought I'd start a thread on Saint Paisios with a few words he had on clergy...

I love straight talkers.
Oh Roosh what timing, I just finished reading Dionysios Farasiotis's The Gurus, the Young Man, and elder Paisios yesterday evening. It was my second reading of the book as my path isn't a 100 miles from that of Farasiotis. I may just take your post as a Godly sign, as I'm very attracted to hesychasm.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Father Spyridon refers to Fr. Paisios in the last pages of his book ''Orthodoxy and the Kingdom of Satan''. Fr. Paisios as Fr. Spyridon is very based on contemporary issues. I'm actually surprised at how based these priests are, they know the global Satanic system better than many commentators. Full scope knowledge. Fr Paisios is quoted as saying that the digital currency/ID system that is coming in is nothing short of Satanic and Spyridon adds that this will be the system with which the antichrist will rule the earth. He also states that we must all focus on our own faith primarily, for the resistance can only be spiritual and not worldly. If we focus on our personal faith and combine that to a collective faith, then we are strong. Therefore the takeaway for me was don't worry too much about the state of others and convincing them, but on yourself and if possible directing them in the right direction. But that can only be the case if they want to see the truth, which usually is not the case.

OrthoLeaf

Sparrow
Orthodox
Are there any additional online resources about this man and his writings / stories? I am curious about him but would prefer not to buy a physical book until I got more of an idea of what he is like.
The two videos I provided in the thread are a great place to start. The aforementioned book "The Gurus, the Young Man, and elder Paisios" is another must read and can be found online here:

eldkv

Chicken
Father Spyridon refers to Fr. Paisios in the last pages of his book ''Orthodoxy and the Kingdom of Satan''. Fr. Paisios as Fr. Spyridon is very based on contemporary issues. I'm actually surprised at how based these priests are, they know the global Satanic system better than many commentators. Full scope knowledge. Fr Paisios is quoted as saying that the digital currency/ID system that is coming in is nothing short of Satanic and Spyridon adds that this will be the system with which the antichrist will rule the earth. He also states that we must all focus on our own faith primarily, for the resistance can only be spiritual and not worldly. If we focus on our personal faith and combine that to a collective faith, then we are strong. Therefore the takeaway for me was don't worry too much about the state of others and convincing them, but on yourself and if possible directing them in the right direction. But that can only be the case if they want to see the truth, which usually is not the case.

Excellent article I recently read on this subject, about both Saint Paisios and Porphyrios: St. Porphyrios On Prophecy and Repentance in Times of Peril

Before Christ there existed prophecies about His coming as well as warnings for repentance to the people of God, as in the case of Jonah and Ninevah.

However, these prophecies were sent by God for those few good and pure people of each era, as I said before, because they had the goodwill to receive the messages and know what to do.

Elder Porphyrios acted with this in mind, calling people to approach Christ with love and not the fear of terrible events.

He knew but he did not say. He spoke laconically and in codes, understanding that in our era there was a great gap between the spirituality of people on Mount Athos with the outside world.

For this reason he sent a man to notify Elder Paisios to stop speaking about the Antichrist, the mark, imminent wars, etc.

Not because it was wrong that which was informed to Elder Paisios through Divine Illumination, but because the spiritual measure of the world is at such a level that fear has no practical effect and that the only approach needed was love for Christ.

For if man loved God, then God, when people change, will change history. The same happened with the imminent destruction of Ninevah.

The Elder would say: “Our time is like the time of Christ. Then the world had reached a terrible state. But God spared us. And now we must not despair. I see through the calamity to appear some very important person of God, who will rally and unite the world for good.”

It was one of the few occasions when the Elder spoke about that which we are living and is upcoming. He stressed that the justice of God is changing and that our situation is miserable.

But he saw that the mercy of God will once again visit mankind. Elder Paisios said the same thing when visitors approached him with evident anxiety about upcoming events and when he was asked when the wrath of God will come. He would say: “We need to ask that His mercy comes, not His wrath.”

Penitent

Woodpecker
Orthodox
An interesting thought that I had about St. Paisios: after reading the (completely unrelated) book Dirty Electricity by Sam Milham I began to wonder if this wasn't the reason for the Elder's cancer. Elder Paisios died of stomach cancer. He also happened to be a radio operator when he served in the military. A likely scenario is that all of the accumulated EMF radiation from carrying and using the radio during his military service was the reason why he ultimately ended up developing the cancer that he eventually died from.

Viktor Zeegelaar

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Excellent article I recently read on this subject, about both Saint Paisios and Porphyrios: St. Porphyrios On Prophecy and Repentance in Times of Peril
Great article. Sadly we live in a world, at least in the West, where most people never have known God from their childhood onwards. The only way to come to Christ and hence the truth is through suffering. I see no other way why someone would forsake the path of the world (which is the path of Satan). I certainly had still been on the path of the world if I didn't suffer tremendously through desillusion in game/materialism. In hindsight that was only God's grace. This article underlines the need to keep ourselves immersed in the truth, that does not change, regardless of the changes we see outside, the evil, the panic, the immorality, the blasphemy. I find it increasingly difficult to see these things everywhere around me being in the belly of the beast in the NL, but there's no other way to cope with the current world and the way it's heading. Only that will keep you at ease spiritually.

tractor

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Great Saint. I ordered a book of his conversations with nuns, the first book in the series of six. And I'm impressed so I have to buy another five :D
"modern" Saints is definitely a good place to start for someone who's a spiritual baby. The writing style of the Church fathers and early Saints is very... special, hard to read sometimes. Paisios has a very sharp mind and is very straightforward. He also often uses parables to make a point.

Very based on demons and "wordliness" (which he even criticizes some monks for).

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
Two new miracles of St. Paisios, appearing to people who were poisoned, instructing them to receive the Eucharist to be healed, and they were, glory to God! St. Paisios pray for us! Let us remember that the Body and Blood of Christ heals and does not spread disease.

Fr. Timothy Ntumba of the Church of St. Nicholas in Bunia, Democratic Republic of the Congo, recently spoke with the Orthodoxia News Agency about two recent miracles of St. Paisios the Athonite experienced by his parishioners.

The first miracle occurred with an 11-year-old girl named Daniela who was poisoned by a classmate who envied her for her success. She lost a lot of weight very rapidly and was on the brink of death. She turned pale and was experiencing heart pains. Then she had a dream that she told her mother about. A few days later Daniela went to find Fr. Timothy at the church, following the advice of the person in the dream. On Sunday, with unbearable pain in her heart, she went to Holy Communion, and that same day, she felt healed and is still feeling fine today.

And a few days ago, a 30-year-old woman named Eva suddenly began to feel excruciating pain all over her body. She was also suffering from vomiting and diarrhea. And the situation became unbearable every night. Hospital examinations showed that she too had been poisoned, but the prescribed drugs made the pain in her chest even worse. Then, on the eve of the feast of St. Paisios, on July 11, a man appeared to her twice in a dream, telling her: “Eva, in the morning, go to church and find your priest. Commune at the Divine Liturgy and you’ll be healed.” In the morning, despite the excruciating pain, she went to church and communed at the Divine Liturgy.

An hour after the service, she asked to speak with the priest and told him about her dream. All the details given by both Daniel and Eva describe St. Paisios the Athonite, and they both recognized him from his icon, despite not having known much about him before he appeared to them and healed them.

Last week, OrthoChristian reported about a young Moldovan boy who was healed by the relics of St. Dionisie (Erhan) of Cetatea Alba and Ismail.

Eusebius Erasmus

Pelican
Orthodox

OrthoLeaf

Sparrow
Orthodox
Just as vaccine mandates are being introduced and as Covid tyranny is amped up. Perhaps he’s sending the Orthodox Christians hope?
Kontakion 1

Let us believers with one voice all praise him who was sent by God in these times of trial for our comfort and guidance, Paisius the wonderful, who struggled graciously and pleasingly for the Master, burning with love for the whole world and pledged his heart for us and for our salvation. And let us call out to him in thanksgiving, saying: Rejoice, Blessed Father Paisius, enlightener of the latter times!