Self-Defense

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
This is the only self defense video you ever need:

Seriously though lots of groin kicks, hits in the vulnerable areas ect.

But mostly fights are about being as violent as possible.

I wouldn't advise fighting unless you're in a situation you need to kill someone though because if things go south that very well could be what happens to either party.

Physical fitness and having the coordinator to demonstrate this is a large part of it.

Caramasão

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
And I agree with the poster above about BJJ. Learning an escape or two is important in case you do end up on the ground (meaning you already got yourself in a bad position to begin with), but if someone tries to play guard with a KM practitioner in real life it will probably not go well for them (and the stabbing example is also good, that’s exactly what I learned in KM).
What do you mean, you think a krav maga practitioner could do something inside the guard of a bjj guy?

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Here's a real life self-defense situation I saw recently:

Notice that the perpetrator approached the victim in a friendly way, then attacked him when he was off-guard and in a compromised position. So, you can see how some of the self-defense techniques espoused in this and other threads would have been of use here, namely:

1. Carry yourself in a way that looks at least somewhat intimidating. I suspect that the attacker sized-up the victim as he was approaching and decided that he would be easier to subdue than most.

2. If a stranger who looks like that makes a beeline for you in a sketchy area, as happened here, assume a defensive posture or take an alternate route to avoid him. If he still comes after you, you can try running away before he gets his hands on you. It looks like the victim tried to pull out a can of pepper spray and you can see how well that worked. Looks like the attacker used a simple judo move to get the victim on the ground.

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member
Here's a real life self-defense situation I saw recently:

Notice that the perpetrator approached the victim in a friendly way, then attacked him when he was off-guard and in a compromised position. So, you can see how some of the self-defense techniques espoused in this and other threads would have been of use here, namely:

1. Carry yourself in a way that looks at least somewhat intimidating. I suspect that the attacker sized-up the victim as he was approaching and decided that he would be easier to subdue than most.

2. If a stranger who looks like that makes a beeline for you in a sketchy area, as happened here, assume a defensive posture or take an alternate route to avoid him. If he still comes after you, you can try running away before he gets his hands on you.
Man, that is tough to watch.

These scumbags are pretty adept at reading a target. If you're walking around stoned or just unaware, they're going to choose you over someone with their head on a swivel who they can see identifies them as a threat. Predators like that usually take the path of least resistance, feed off fear and are more dangerous when cornered. I am very concerned that more of them have moved into territory with weak gazelles and young females. But I think even a small woman can present a hard target, and even a threat to safari game with regular defense and firearm training.

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Regarding the possession and use of firearms:

I try to read both sides of the argument. The other sides claim that possession of firearms leads to unecessary violence. This is crucial for a Christian. We don't want to murder someone just to protect our TV. How do you discern their intent?

I see these scenarios:
1) You make your possession of a gun known to the invader. He either runs away or he shoots back, in which case one of you will get injured or die. If you die you leave your family defenseless.
2) You sneak up on them and shoot them on the leg. Is this considered self defense by the law? In any case, the target is not incapacitated and if armed he will surely fire back.
3) You sneak up on them and you kill them. This is the physically safest option, but potentially spiritually deadly. Plus, I highly doubt the law will see this as self-defense.
4) You run away with your family and let them take whatever they want. Call the police. Only use your gun if the invader goes after you.

Conclusion: you cannot discern invader's intent in the thick of action. You must have Rules of Engagment decided before hand for every scenario based on your local laws.

Having said that, if you guys have resources to share on this topic please post them here.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich

I try to read both sides of the argument. The other sides claim that possession of firearms leads to unecessary violence. This is crucial for a Christian. We don't want to murder someone just to protect our TV. How do you discern their intent?

I see these scenarios:
1) You make your possession of a gun known to the invader. He either runs away or he shoots back, in which case one of you will get injured or die. If you die you leave your family defenseless.
2) You sneak up on them and shoot them on the leg. Is this considered self defense by the law? In any case, the target is not incapacitated and if armed he will surely fire back.
3) You sneak up on them and you kill them. This is the physically safest option, but potentially spiritually deadly. Plus, I highly doubt the law will see this as self-defense.
4) You run away with your family and let them take whatever they want. Call the police. Only use your gun if the invader goes after you.

Conclusion: you cannot discern invader's intent in the thick of action. You must have Rules of Engagment decided before hand for every scenario based on your local laws.

Having said that, if you guys have resources to share on this topic please post them here.
If I see a person in my home i don't know i am going to tell them not to move and will give them complaince commands like hands up ECT... If they move in a manner non compliant (reach for their waist). I will shoot them until they no longer present an option of a threat.

You're gonna get sued in that situation. It will happen. But better to be litigated than dead.

You have no idea what someone will do in your house. They could be stealing your TV or they could be there to kidnap your kids, tie you up, rape your wife/kids all because they are possessed by demons.

If you shoot someone (leg/arm/face)
you are using deadly force... doesn't matter where. Just like of you stab them, or hit them with a baseball bat ect.

You are only legally authorized to shoot someone until you have neutralized their ability to pose a threat...

So if you see them: you either shoot first and ask questions later or tell them to not move/hands up/on your belly ect... Either way when the authorities come you have to make clear your fear for your life ECT.

Hopefully you don't live in a commie state where the castle doctrine isn't around.

Having been robbed before as well as burglarized...I would encourage all men and women to get proficient with a gun and take a concealed carry course which will go through the law and these scenarios.

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member

I see these scenarios:

Essentially, the escalation of force guideline, which can be applied to civilian scenarios too, is that you only use lethal force to protect your own life and the lives of those around you.

Being scenario-minded is an excellent way to consider self-defence, imo. But your scenarios really scare me. In no way should you ever sneak up on someone and shoot them in the leg. I understand where you're coming form but this is a terrible way to think of it (FYI if you ever do choose to fire a weapon at anyone, unload center mass, don't waste your time aiming at a body part).
If someone's trying to take my TV, my car, my stuff, I wouldn't use even non-lethal, let alone lethal force in most cases. Usually if an intruder is aware that you're awake, and they have an exit without feeling that they're being immediately threatened, they will leave. I'd just put my phone on speaker and have a loud conversation with the cops, ideally.

I wouldn't go around brandishing or declaring my weapon to intruders or attackers either. Like many here have pointed out, making yourself seem imposing is the key, not saying you have a gun.

If I were training you, I'd run you through some home-invasion and mugging role-play to help you get over the fear of assault and to realize that a gun is only a part of your self-defense tool-kit.

Last edited:

NickK

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Being scenario-minded is an excellent way to consider self-defence, imo. But your scenarios really scare me. In no way should you ever sneak up on someone and shoot them in the leg. I understand where you're coming form but this is a terrible way to think of it (FYI if you ever do choose to fire a weapon at anyone, unload center mass, don't waste your time aiming at a body part).
If someone's trying to take my TV, my car, my stuff, I wouldn't use even non-lethal, let alone lethal force in most cases. Usually if an intruder is aware that you're awake, and they have an exit without feeling that they're being immediately threatened, they will leave. I'd just put my phone on speaker and have a loud conversation with the cops, ideally.

I wouldn't go around brandishing or declaring my weapon to intruders or attackers either. Like many here have pointed out, making yourself seem imposing is the key, not saying you have a gun.

If I were training you, I'd run you through some home-invasion and mugging role-play to help you get over the fear of assault and to realize that a gun is only a part of your self-defense tool-kit.
Thanks.
My scenarios are hastily thought out. I tried to include the most aggressive and most passive ones I could think of.
I still have much to learn about this.

Cartographer

Pelican
Gold Member
Thanks.
My scenarios are hastily thought out. I tried to include the most aggressive and most passive I could think of.
I still have much to learn about this.
Seems like you have the right attitude. It's definitely a scary thing to think about but sometimes the world forces us to consider it. What you really need is an experienced person who can teach you basic self-defense knowledge. The problem is there are many viewpoints and a lot of bad information/teaching techniques for such a dangerous subject.

I would suggest you find a good jiu jitsu gym (or krav, I've done both and yes, I know you guys hate each other :squintlol: ), then just talk to law enforcement or military personnel who you'll likely find there about the topic. Your local gun range can be a good place to get exposure to information too but it's hit or miss so take info with a big grain of salt.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
In your home, having a first line of defense is either a yapper little dog, a big territorial dog who's got a big bark are your starting point.

I personally keep a small dog in the living room/one of the kids rooms that yaps and my American Bulldog in my room by the door or in the living room. Most people do not want to deal with dogs and the fact that dogs means someone is home.

Even less so, most people are not mentally prepared, to take on a large aggressive dog. My brother got attacked by an English bulldog 60Lbs doing his job a couple years ago working for the city and doing mapping. He was unarmed and got really messed up. While I know I could kill a dog with out a weapon, It is going to break an arm at a minimum if it gets ahold of you. Compare that to my 120lb American Bulldog or a Cane Corso... Those are the sorts of dogs that are bread to be highly athletic and fight pigs/predators, are very territorial and have virtually ZERO quit in them. You're going to kill that dog or its going to kill you.

With a little dog added in you get the best of both worlds: Hype man and a bruiser. (Think Master-Blaster)

Also makes a great deterrent in case you're like me and are in working class neighborhood and the only white people on the block. Take the beast out for a walk every time you get home and see neighbors out and about and nobody wants to knock off that house...

fortyfive

Woodpecker
Most dogs are the best alarm system, and some dogs are one of the best-guarding partners you can have. Dogs are territorial, pack animals, and they will protect members of their pack every single time.
We got a Belgian malinois last year from a reputable police line breeder, and she is so naturally protective that it is sometimes even a little annoying.
But she is on the watch 24 hrs constantly, and my wife wouldn't walk without her anywhere, especially after dark.
If you could afford to have a dog, I highly recommended having one.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Dogs are great. We have a big 100 lb lab mix and just got a terrier puppy, so hoping they will form a good combo of early warning system and brawn. Unfortunately my Rottie/GSD mix who is the best dog I've ever had passed away earlier this year.

As far as ROE for a home invasion, to me if you break into someone's house at 3 am you're there to kill or rape unless your actions show otherwise. If, by the time I get downstairs, you're already running out the door carrying my TV I'm not going to shoot you in the back, I'm not a sociopath. But if you're carrying any sort of weapon or if you attempt to make any sort of move towards my wife or my kid's room or if you charge towards me, you made that decision for yourself.

And we live in a cul de sac in a very safe neighborhood which is the most important thing.

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
This practitioner, Roy Elghanayan, has the most technically perfect Krav Maga I've ever seen. This video is basically him showing off his skills, with some movements added that are more flourish than technique, but will give you a good idea of what the highest possible level KM looks like. That said, as indicated in my last post, this is not representative of what a real fight is like in any way. It looks great when Roy does it against someone who knows how he or she is supposed to attack and position themselves, without actually striking back or in any way attempting to gain control over a scenario. The more you practice the higher chance you'll pull it off in real life if you have to, but it *never* will look as clean as this. And whether it's spiritually healthy to train like this is a different question altogether, as you can see that Roy uses what looks like a devil as the logo for his school (might be a bull) and it's definitely not a Christian mentality to be as aggressive as KM necessitates. A lot of what he does in this video could get you imprisoned for a long time if you did it in real life as well.

This is exactly the sort of "attacker role plays" that are such bs.

Look at his attackers, where's their intent? Watch the video and focus on them.

They will all be students of his, happy to be playing along with their leader. On a psychological level its supplication that you see all the time in the self defence industry.

What you are watching here are people doing rehearsals for pretend violence.

That's not to say this guy isnt proficient, he no doubt has dedicated his life to this, but this is utter snakeoil.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
My 70 year old parents have been broken into this week again. 38 years in business and I sure it's the same "usually black youths" (we use another word) and spent a couple hours explain in physical security and surveillance ops. But after I got robbed at gunpoint at 16 old man takes it serious.

In this case it was likely an indigent black walking by and hit up the work shed and then got spooked once the lights came on and the little dog with a big bark woke up as this fellow swept the glass into a corner and didn't touch the 10k in tools...

Praise God. Except...

If they return they aren't looking for pawn goods but cash and jewels....

Dad wanted to take the shotgun i had given them with a light and give to moms side of the bed. He figured he'd beat to death an intruder (likely so and at 70 he's a scary enough man)... Anyway I convinced them to buy some more guns and that I'd see em both next weekend for gun training... They've already installed cameras for their dog...and have a wierd sensation that they are looking forward to another breech.

For perspective mom is a daughter of a Holodomor survivor immigrant and Dad is a heritage American Scotsman with ties to the early Virginian settlers and the youngest of 5 (raised by foster parents) both as are upset and doing everything they can to prevent a reoccurring incident... But as are cold hearted about sjw lies around them especially in east Texas.

Old man is pissed because they broke into his shed and didn't steal anything...even swept the hard glass into a corner either out of fear or because they didn't value his tools enough to give him the dignity of theft. According to him, He's survived 2x heart attacks not to be insulted that way....

May the lord have mercy if they try...

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
This is exactly the sort of "attacker role plays" that are such bs.

Look at his attackers, where's their intent? Watch the video and focus on them.

They will all be students of his, happy to be playing along with their leader. On a psychological level its supplication that you see all the time in the self defence industry.

What you are watching here are people doing rehearsals for pretend violence.

That's not to say this guy isnt proficient, he no doubt has dedicated his life to this, but this is utter snakeoil.
This is what they teach to the Israeli military and many LEOs train this style as well. The video is of a belt test and some demos, as it clearly states.

I would say more than 90% of the outcome of any altercation is about who gets the drop on who. Even a lesser skilled, less coordinated opponent could do some major damage on a much bigger, imposing, or threatening man. Head on a swivel is right, but also how you walk, how you move, your speed. I would also look into concealed self-defense mechanisms. There are many options, here are some I am tinkering with making more applicable and stronger for a potential drugged out aggressor to stun or incapacitate them so as to not bring down the cops on you, remember only cops can kill joggers, and both are allowed to kill you with impunity, don't you dare defend yourself goyim:

I would be careful with blades unless you are good with a knife, if your attacker takes it from you he could be stabbing you repeatedly before you know it.

Getting a blade attached to your arm or wrist would work if you train with it, for dangerous urban protection, I would say get two blades matching the length of your forearm, triple folded ideally, and have them sitting in sheaths that run along your radius bone so it wouldn't get in the way of folding your hands if extended. Think the stupid assassins creed blade, but more practical like baraka's blade from mortal kombat, an extension of the arm:
there are other versions of this but I think one video is enough to get the idea into the mind.

The only potential in a fight with those would be if it is firmly attached to your arm and the attacker could not turn it on you, then you could defend yourself and potentially cut them with any chance they make to grab you. Of course, well-trained adepts in most martial arts don't need such gimmicks.

This kid made the smallest flamethrower I could find, good ingenuity:

Probably my favorite concept so far, looking to expand on what this guy started to make a brighter flash:

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I would say more than 90% of the outcome of any altercation is about who gets the drop on who. Even a lesser skilled, less coordinated opponent could do some major damage on a much bigger, imposing, or threatening man. Head on a swivel is right, but also how you walk, how you move, your speed. I would also look into concealed self-defense mechanisms. There are many options, here are some I am tinkering with making more applicable and stronger for a potential drugged out aggressor to stun or incapacitate them so as to not bring down the cops on you, remember only cops can kill joggers, and both are allowed to kill you with impunity, don't you dare defend yourself goyim:

I would be careful with blades unless you are good with a knife, if your attacker takes it from you he could be stabbing you repeatedly before you know it.

Getting a blade attached to your arm or wrist would work if you train with it, for dangerous urban protection, I would say get two blades matching the length of your forearm, triple folded ideally, and have them sitting in sheaths that run along your radius bone so it wouldn't get in the way of folding your hands if extended. Think the stupid assassins creed blade, but more practical like baraka's blade from mortal kombat, an extension of the arm:
there are other versions of this but I think one video is enough to get the idea into the mind.

The only potential in a fight with those would be if it is firmly attached to your arm and the attacker could not turn it on you, then you could defend yourself and potentially cut them with any chance they make to grab you. Of course, well-trained adepts in most martial arts don't need such gimmicks.

This kid made the smallest flamethrower I could find, good ingenuity:

Probably my favorite concept so far, looking to expand on what this guy started to make a brighter flash:
Physical reality is 2/3 of it.

But a violence of action mindset is what separates a boxing match from a war...

I'm a short stocky guy who lifts weights and does martial arts as a hobby.

I'm sure im physically imposing at 225 to most men, looking like a dwarf with the beard and stoutness... but I've met some real physical monsters in my life and had my ass kicked and in many cases kicked their ass on the mat... At a certain point it's experience and mindset...

You can't be afraid of death. You need to find a martial art that will make you ok did letting go. Or if you have kids enroll them with you and everyone start over together.

Cheers...

For me... After work and the old lady and church it's powerlifting... But with 5 kids karate or tae Kwan do is next.

Merica!!!!

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
This is what they teach to the Israeli military and many LEOs train this style as well. The video is of a belt test and some demos, as it clearly states.

TBH all services train the same stuff, because you cant re-invent the wheel at this point.

And the merit of any average person who wants to tune up some self defense skills in joining something like Krav Maga is very low IMHO.

Far better to get down your local boxing / Muay Thai / MMA gym and take classes. KM is marketing to any kind of average person. I'd argue it's actually bad for them, as the 'one weird trick' aspect of it leads to false confidence, that when it meets real world 90 miles an hour violence, will be useless.

C-Note

Hummingbird
Gold Member
There was a rash of attacks by groups of black youths on middle-aged white men on the subways in my city a couple of years ago. I believe it was a variation of the "knockout game." The liberal/globalist big city newspaper ignored it, but it was reported in the local news (somewhat) and on the social media pages of some of the local independent journalists (this one of the only benefits of social media).

Anyway, I researched what would be a good, and legal self-defense weapon to carry with me and decided on tactical gloves. Tactical gloves are gloves with a hard plastic shell over the outside of the fist. They're completely legal anywhere, if I understand correctly, because they are not considered to be weapons. But, if you punch someone with it, it has almost the impact of brass knuckles. Also, the hard plastic can severely scratch their skin and it makes it easier to keep a grip on them if you end up grappling.

I kept the gloves finger-end down in the outside pocket on my briefcase, out-of-sight. If a group of "urban youth" entered my train car, I could stick my hands down directly into the gloves inside my briefcase pocket. Then, if they started to approach me, I could just drop my briefcase to the floor and my hands would be ready to come up ready to go. I have not yet been in a situation in which I needed to use them.