Self-Defense

Basics of create distance and defensive posture are not engrained in most individuals who grow up watching movies and maybe have been in 1 playground fight their whole life.

I second the comment about weightlifting. If he had a 17 inch neck i bet he wouldn't be getting floored the way he did.

But if a black man approaches me in a bad area, and I take up a defensive posture, I must be racist! I admit to actually feeling that way. "I must not be judgmental, no matter what!" Lol I have lived in some relatively bad areas with a mix of decent and bad blacks. I am kind of amazed that I was never mugged, but I let my beard and hair grow out, which gave me a "street look" in the eyes of people. I never was mugged, but I made my fellow whites quite nervous. Cops fortunately did not have a serious problem with me. And ironically, once I got lost in a bad hispanic neighborhood only to have the local kids say to me, "I can tell you're a cop!" I wasn't, but I liked their false assumption that may have saved my neck.

One of my golden rules for physical security when walking, was to try to stay along busy main roads, where there are lots of people and places to run for safety.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
But if a black man approaches me in a bad area, and I take up a defensive posture, I must be racist! I admit to actually feeling that way. "I must not be judgmental, no matter what!" Lol I have lived in some relatively bad areas with a mix of decent and bad blacks. I am kind of amazed that I was never mugged, but I let my beard and hair grow out, which gave me a "street look" in the eyes of people. I never was mugged, but I made my fellow whites quite nervous. Cops fortunately did not have a serious problem with me. And ironically, once I got lost in a bad hispanic neighborhood only to have the local kids say to me, "I can tell you're a cop!" I wasn't, but I liked their false assumption that may have saved my neck.

One of my golden rules for physical security when walking, was to try to stay along busy main roads, where there are lots of people and places to run for safety.
Looking like a cop is never a bad thing.

Unless your working undercover... Then it's obviously a bad thing.

Looking like a cop is never a bad thing.

Unless your working undercover... Then it's obviously a bad thing.

Back in the late nineties, before the establishment of the TSA, I was an airport checkpoint supervisor. At the time it was a low respect sort of job, but law enforcement officers did have to check in with me, by showing their badges, before boarding the plane. But by doing this, they were not subjected to the security screening. I would sometimes see men lurking at the far end of the concourse, waiting for things to be dead, and then they would come running over and reveal themselves.

I met some cops and feds who I would not have guessed in a million years were in undercover law enforcement. They seemed too small, too skinny, or too short. But of course a person like that would be ideal for the work. But acting skills mattered too, and I remember a very large guy who was undercover in a biker gang, and when I saw him outside my checkpoint, he seemed very mentally slow, to say the least. The other men in his motorcycle mafia treated him affectionately, but also like he was somewhat of a dimwit. But when they all left he finally came through, and the lights were on behind his eyes, as if he had just magically gained quite a few new IQ points! Lol

But then there were some, maybe half of the cops and feds who came through, where I felt like saying, "who are you possibly trying to fool?" They just seemed to scream "cop" in their appearance/demeanor, despite being dressed as a biker or whatever. "The Federal Bureau of Bikini Inspectors" seemed especially to have this problem. I hope they have since fixed it!