Sewing Thread!

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
(lolll, sewing thread, see what I did there? :cool: )

We talked about needing a sewing thread and nobody has started one yet, so I figured I would, because I have a project I want to share! Only part of it is actually sewing, but I figure it counts!

I've been learning how to make "unlasted" shoes - meaning that the pattern is taken from the foot, instead of the shoe being formed around a rigid plastic shoe-form (aka a "last") for a while, and this is my latest pair in the making.

Most of the sewing will be done by hand (lock-stitching the upper to the midsole), but I get to use my absolute beast of an old sewing machine (pictured here) for sewing the little buckle part on. It can stitch through a quarter inch or so of leather like it's butter. Then I'll use my regular ol' sewing machine (just a cheapie little 10-year-old Kenmore) for the fabric insole, but that machine isn't as photo-worthy. ;)

54036b99aabfd001.jpg

I feel like I am more of a "designer" than a "seamstress" because making the pattern and figuring out exactly which materials to use and how they'll all go together is usually more fun and engaging than the actual assembly. For this pair I'm using a low-temperature thermoplastic material in the footbed, which will serve to bond the outsole to the midsole and ALSO allow me to mold it to cup and support where needed to keep all of my foot-and-toe bones aligned like they're supposed to be. It's a bit experimental, but I'm optimistic so far.

QUESTION: do any of you ladies get "seamstress' block"? Kind of like writer's block but where you get hung up on actually starting the process of sewing pieces together?? Because I totally do. I have a small stack of mending projects that are all pinned together but have been sitting otherwise untouched for months.

I'll also leave you with one of my favorite sewing tips to share: I like to transfer smaller pattern pieces to thicker paper or posterboard and give them a once-over on the backside with repositionable spray-adhesive (a la post-it notes), then just stick them directly to the fabric for marking and cutting. NO slipping, NO creasing/wrinkling, and gives a lot more stability while cutting.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
Finally a sewing thread

I definitely get sewers block. I’ll get a pattern and cut/pin everything only to end up losing all motivation to actually stitch the thing together and it’ll sit in the closet for years only to be repurposed by one of my kids into something else lol

Loespie has a really cute YouTube channel where she recreates vintage/historic hair and makeup but she recently started doing vintage sewing projects:

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Thank you for starting this thread! I kept meaning to but dont have any pattern files to readily post. I have been a trained seamstress/tailor for 18+ years. Custom work, alterations, you name it, I’ve probably sewn it. If anyone needs tips or advice on a project please don’t hesitate to ask!

I also designed and costumed many theatre and Opera productions. I worked professionally (and still do occasionally) in live entertainment doing wardrobe supervision for 12+ years. Did some Broadway tours and recording artist tours (Patti LaBelle, ZZ Top, Rihanna, too many to list).

Obligatory self-promoting photos of some of my costume design and construction for theatre...

Attachments

• C70AE449-5FBB-470F-A7F8-5712781CCB6A.jpeg
    C70AE449-5FBB-470F-A7F8-5712781CCB6A.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 7
  • EB5BFECC-1A70-452B-945E-E2ECF3CF3B5C.jpeg
    EB5BFECC-1A70-452B-945E-E2ECF3CF3B5C.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4E4F39F9-7676-4654-9B8D-46B17E60DECD.jpeg
    4E4F39F9-7676-4654-9B8D-46B17E60DECD.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I’d love to post my wedding dress that I made, but it would be difficult to try to crop and avoid doxxing myself. I wish I could post my Etsy shop too, but not going there.

I specialized in corsetry for awhile and did a lot of work for local Christian biker clubs.

Some custom work...

Attachments

• 70379A23-8D23-4CF6-B93B-87D52B2C443F.jpeg
    70379A23-8D23-4CF6-B93B-87D52B2C443F.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 379E4937-3A63-4E51-8C47-BC5270EA4203.jpeg
    379E4937-3A63-4E51-8C47-BC5270EA4203.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 3D527CE6-4F14-40C6-90BB-ADD17311B068.jpeg
    3D527CE6-4F14-40C6-90BB-ADD17311B068.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2A5AAFC6-9EBA-401C-ABEB-DDAED1EB6EE4.jpeg
    2A5AAFC6-9EBA-401C-ABEB-DDAED1EB6EE4.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 6
  • A4997108-AC20-405F-9842-314584A39C43.jpeg
    A4997108-AC20-405F-9842-314584A39C43.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 6

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
(lolll, sewing thread, see what I did there? :cool: )
Lollll :claps:

BTW I love your heavy duty machine and your shoe patterns! So cool. That’s one thing I haven’t done much of.

I have more sewing machines and sergers than I can count — people keep giving me Grandma’s old machines because sewing is such a dying art and I’m apparently the only seamstress they know!
Anyway, my Kenmores (20+ years and 50+ years) are my best leather workhorses. Get a good needle in and they go through anything!

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Finally a sewing thread

I definitely get sewers block. I’ll get a pattern and cut/pin everything only to end up losing all motivation to actually stitch the thing together and it’ll sit in the closet for years only to be repurposed by one of my kids into something else lol

Loespie has a really cute YouTube channel where she recreates vintage/historic hair and makeup but she recently started doing vintage sewing projects:
Sorry so many consecutive posts from me on this thread...

If you do the Instagram thing, I recommend following user callled DressedInTime. She patterns, constructs, and wears her historical garments (anything from Victorian to mid-century) and is a fantastic account to follow for inspiration.

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Beautiful costumes and clothes, Leeloo, and amazing shoes, Kitty! Please do post pics when you’ve finished them. Leeloo, I love the bodice on that green costume.

And now I’m off to explore Loespie’s videos because even though I don’t sew more than curtain seams I grew up around it and love sewing channels, especially vintage or reproduction types. I have a small dream of making myself a reproduction chemise in linen for a nightgown.

catholicmom

Sparrow
Woman
I've sewed my baby girl probably 5 of these. It's a super-easy peasant dress pattern. She's only 1 year old but the size 4/5 fits her like a long dress, and I could see her wearing them for years.
I sewed her some lace-trimmed matching aprons to go with them (no pattern) that make the whole thing have such an adorable silhouette. The trick is to make the back of the apron with elastic (hidden in fabric casing) so that the ribbons don't potentially come apart and present an asphyxiation hazard during a nap.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Beautiful costumes and clothes, Leeloo, and amazing shoes, Kitty! Please do post pics when you’ve finished them. Leeloo, I love the bodice on that green costume.

And now I’m off to explore Loespie’s videos because even though I don’t sew more than curtain seams I grew up around it and love sewing channels, especially vintage or reproduction types. I have a small dream of making myself a reproduction chemise in linen for a nightgown.

Thank you!

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Coming right along. This plastic stuff is so cool. I ended up using way more of it than I needed to... but I can just heat it up and squeeze/pull the excess out. It might not prove to be long-term durable, but it's amazing for prototyping at the very least. Now all I have left to do is clean up the edges and apply a trim, make the insole, and finish up/punch holes in the strap!
119c6542b85b026f.jpg

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Coming right along. This plastic stuff is so cool. I ended up using way more of it than I needed to... but I can just heat it up and squeeze/pull the excess out. It might not prove to be long-term durable, but it's amazing for prototyping at the very least. Now all I have left to do is clean up the edges and apply a trim, make the insole, and finish up/punch holes in the strap!
119c6542b85b026f.jpg
Those are awesome. Do you sell them? What is the name of the material?

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
Those are awesome. Do you sell them? What is the name of the material?
Thank you! Maybe someday, but for now they're just a hopeful-work-around for needing very expensive orthotics and very ugly shoes. :)

The material is usually just called "moldable plastic" or "low temp thermoplastic" and it comes in little pellets that become workable/moldable/pliable at around 150 degrees. There are a lot of places to get it, this is the brand I got: https://pollyplastics.com/

Looking at their website, they've also got sheets and strips of it... and COLORS. I might be in trouble. :blush:

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Kitty Tantrum, I love them! Please post a pic of you wearing them. I love watching videos of people making things in old fashioned ways—clothes, shoes, carved spoons, recipes....it’s so interesting. I love your machine too. My mom is a sucker for old machines. She just traded me her twenties Singer electric for my used-not-once new machine. We both consider it a good trade, lol.

I forgot I do sew some things. My mom and I make dolls for Samaritan’s Purse Christmas Shoebox ministry. She does most of the sewing of the clothes, but I do some hand sewing, embroidery, jewelry, and design. Below are a couple. The black one’s hair was wrapped in plastic so it didn’t shed. They’re SO fun to do.

6B2ABB6D-6A5F-4B60-872B-ADEC9E0CDF28.jpegB2D8F09C-395B-42BB-83CB-7285A270052D.jpeg53B4E7BB-CAE6-4111-9F36-FB1D22AABEAA.jpeg

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Wow, y'all are so talented! I had a dream of making a quilt a few years ago. I cut most of the material but never put it together. I've since collected more material but haven't been inspired to make anything with it haha. I have boxes full of yarn and fabric, maybe I'm more of a collector than a crafter :squintlol: