Sewing Thread!

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I had to take a break from the shoe-making to make myself a wrist splint. I don't know what I did to it, but it started hurting like crazy. I went and got an x-ray and the doctor told me to get a splint for it for now... and none of the ones I could buy would fit right because I have big hands and tiny pathetic wrists. So my hand and arm would be immobilized, but my wrist would just roll around all over the place in there.

For the actual rigid structure part of it I sewed a little cotton pouch (the darker brown part you can kinda see on the inside) from a pattern I cast from my hand and wrist, and stuffed some of those thermoplastic beads in there and then melted them after I sewed it shut... molded that into the structure for the brace, and then made the leather part to hold it all in place.

I stole the buckles from an old pair of boots with worn-out soles... so this is like... a basic-white-girl pseudo-DESIGNER wrist splint. :cool:

brace.jpg

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Wow, y'all are so talented! I had a dream of making a quilt a few years ago. I cut most of the material but never put it together. I've since collected more material but haven't been inspired to make anything with it haha. I have boxes full of yarn and fabric, maybe I'm more of a collector than a crafter :squintlol:
A friend of mine gave me a word for those projects began and left alone for far too long. UFO’s: unfinished objects!

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I had to take a break from the shoe-making to make myself a wrist splint. I don't know what I did to it, but it started hurting like crazy. I went and got an x-ray and the doctor told me to get a splint for it for now... and none of the ones I could buy would fit right because I have big hands and tiny pathetic wrists. So my hand and arm would be immobilized, but my wrist would just roll around all over the place in there.

For the actual rigid structure part of it I sewed a little cotton pouch (the darker brown part you can kinda see on the inside) from a pattern I cast from my hand and wrist, and stuffed some of those thermoplastic beads in there and then melted them after I sewed it shut... molded that into the structure for the brace, and then made the leather part to hold it all in place.

I stole the buckles from an old pair of boots with worn-out soles... so this is like... a basic-white-girl pseudo-DESIGNER wrist splint. :cool:

View attachment 30630
That is cool. Functional and looks good/unique!

I need to make myself one for exercise and to wear while sewing lol. I have bad wrists/hands.

Do you have a pattern you could share? Even just something basic I could alter with my own measurements.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
That is cool. Functional and looks good/unique!

I need to make myself one for exercise and to wear while sewing lol. I have bad wrists/hands.

Do you have a pattern you could share? Even just something basic I could alter with my own measurements.
Yes! I saved it so that I could flip it and make one for the left hand next!

Quick notes:

For the splint structure, I sewed the little cotton pouch and filled it with approximately a single layer of thermoplastic beads. The plastic is pretty thin, but it's plenty rigid. One tip is that I TRIED melting and flattening the beads inside the pouch with my iron (a la Perler beads), but this caused the plastic to start seeping through the cotton, and that is undesirable. A slow melt without pressure and then flattening the plastic with fingertips/rolling pin/flat object was the way to go.

The structure could also probably be made out of molded and hardened leather... although for best results for that, I'd want to have a rigid model of my hand and wrist to mold it around.

For the wrap portion, obviously I ended up rounding all of the corners... and ALSO, the thumbhole as it is on the pattern will probably end up being too small - I did it that way on purpose so I could carefully trim away exactly as much of the leather as I needed to once it was done. If you were going to sew it from something that would unravel/fray, obviously the pattern or method there would need some tweaking to make it right the first go-round.

On mine, I actually just used a little bit of the same kind of thermoplastic beads that I stuffed into my little cotton pouch to make the splint structure, sort of like a "hot glue" to adhere the splint to the wrap. I used one thin line of plastic down each of the "branches" of the splint and a little dot for the little bit that wraps around the wrist, instead of trying to glue the whole thing down, so it would keep a little more flexibility. So far it's holding up incredibly well.

splint pattern.jpgsplint structure.pngsplint wrap.png

Also I figured out when I went to add another strap at the wrist end for more stability, that it was kind of silly to sew the first two straps on. It makes a lot more sense to just cut little "belt loops" in the leather (as illustrated in sloppy fashion on the splint wrap pattern) and use detached belt-style straps. That way if a strap breaks, you just pull it out and replace it (and minimizes the amount of actual leather-sewing needed):

splint belt.jpg

I was going to upload a PDF file of the pattern, too, but those are bigger files and my email/cloud storage service is down for maintenance right now! But if the images don't work well for printing at the correct scale, I DO have PDFs! :)