Sewing Thread!

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I had to take a break from the shoe-making to make myself a wrist splint. I don't know what I did to it, but it started hurting like crazy. I went and got an x-ray and the doctor told me to get a splint for it for now... and none of the ones I could buy would fit right because I have big hands and tiny pathetic wrists. So my hand and arm would be immobilized, but my wrist would just roll around all over the place in there.

For the actual rigid structure part of it I sewed a little cotton pouch (the darker brown part you can kinda see on the inside) from a pattern I cast from my hand and wrist, and stuffed some of those thermoplastic beads in there and then melted them after I sewed it shut... molded that into the structure for the brace, and then made the leather part to hold it all in place.

I stole the buckles from an old pair of boots with worn-out soles... so this is like... a basic-white-girl pseudo-DESIGNER wrist splint. :cool:

brace.jpg

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Wow, y'all are so talented! I had a dream of making a quilt a few years ago. I cut most of the material but never put it together. I've since collected more material but haven't been inspired to make anything with it haha. I have boxes full of yarn and fabric, maybe I'm more of a collector than a crafter :squintlol:
A friend of mine gave me a word for those projects began and left alone for far too long. UFO’s: unfinished objects!

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I had to take a break from the shoe-making to make myself a wrist splint. I don't know what I did to it, but it started hurting like crazy. I went and got an x-ray and the doctor told me to get a splint for it for now... and none of the ones I could buy would fit right because I have big hands and tiny pathetic wrists. So my hand and arm would be immobilized, but my wrist would just roll around all over the place in there.

For the actual rigid structure part of it I sewed a little cotton pouch (the darker brown part you can kinda see on the inside) from a pattern I cast from my hand and wrist, and stuffed some of those thermoplastic beads in there and then melted them after I sewed it shut... molded that into the structure for the brace, and then made the leather part to hold it all in place.

I stole the buckles from an old pair of boots with worn-out soles... so this is like... a basic-white-girl pseudo-DESIGNER wrist splint. :cool:

View attachment 30630
That is cool. Functional and looks good/unique!

I need to make myself one for exercise and to wear while sewing lol. I have bad wrists/hands.

Do you have a pattern you could share? Even just something basic I could alter with my own measurements.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
That is cool. Functional and looks good/unique!

I need to make myself one for exercise and to wear while sewing lol. I have bad wrists/hands.

Do you have a pattern you could share? Even just something basic I could alter with my own measurements.
Yes! I saved it so that I could flip it and make one for the left hand next!

Quick notes:

For the splint structure, I sewed the little cotton pouch and filled it with approximately a single layer of thermoplastic beads. The plastic is pretty thin, but it's plenty rigid. One tip is that I TRIED melting and flattening the beads inside the pouch with my iron (a la Perler beads), but this caused the plastic to start seeping through the cotton, and that is undesirable. A slow melt without pressure and then flattening the plastic with fingertips/rolling pin/flat object was the way to go.

The structure could also probably be made out of molded and hardened leather... although for best results for that, I'd want to have a rigid model of my hand and wrist to mold it around.

For the wrap portion, obviously I ended up rounding all of the corners... and ALSO, the thumbhole as it is on the pattern will probably end up being too small - I did it that way on purpose so I could carefully trim away exactly as much of the leather as I needed to once it was done. If you were going to sew it from something that would unravel/fray, obviously the pattern or method there would need some tweaking to make it right the first go-round.

On mine, I actually just used a little bit of the same kind of thermoplastic beads that I stuffed into my little cotton pouch to make the splint structure, sort of like a "hot glue" to adhere the splint to the wrap. I used one thin line of plastic down each of the "branches" of the splint and a little dot for the little bit that wraps around the wrist, instead of trying to glue the whole thing down, so it would keep a little more flexibility. So far it's holding up incredibly well.

splint pattern.jpgsplint structure.pngsplint wrap.png

Also I figured out when I went to add another strap at the wrist end for more stability, that it was kind of silly to sew the first two straps on. It makes a lot more sense to just cut little "belt loops" in the leather (as illustrated in sloppy fashion on the splint wrap pattern) and use detached belt-style straps. That way if a strap breaks, you just pull it out and replace it (and minimizes the amount of actual leather-sewing needed):

splint belt.jpg

I was going to upload a PDF file of the pattern, too, but those are bigger files and my email/cloud storage service is down for maintenance right now! But if the images don't work well for printing at the correct scale, I DO have PDFs! :)

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
They're not 100% done (still working on the insole), but they won't really look any different when they are. Went to take a picture of them "in action" and got photo-bombed by my cat... but did not think anyone would mind! :blush:

View attachment 30736

I love them! And cats always improve any area they’re in. :D I love the splint too. You’re so....can’t find my words.. clever, capable....

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
Coming right along. This plastic stuff is so cool. I ended up using way more of it than I needed to... but I can just heat it up and squeeze/pull the excess out. It might not prove to be long-term durable, but it's amazing for prototyping at the very least. Now all I have left to do is clean up the edges and apply a trim, make the insole, and finish up/punch holes in the strap!
119c6542b85b026f.jpg
I thought of your project When I came across this tutorial on making a leather Bible cover.

@Leeloo had shared using leather in sewing projects too.

thanks for sharing how to make shoes too.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I’m currently working on making curtains for a friend. Next up is a car seat cover project and a leather collar replacement on a blazer.
I will post completed photos when I’m finished and progress shots if anyone is interested in the leatherwork.

Jessie

Sparrow
Woman
(lolll, sewing thread, see what I did there? :cool: )

We talked about needing a sewing thread and nobody has started one yet, so I figured I would, because I have a project I want to share! Only part of it is actually sewing, but I figure it counts!

I've been learning how to make "unlasted" shoes - meaning that the pattern is taken from the foot, instead of the shoe being formed around a rigid plastic shoe-form (aka a "last") for a while, and this is my latest pair in the making.

Most of the sewing will be done by hand (lock-stitching the upper to the midsole), but I get to use my absolute beast of an old sewing machine (pictured here) for sewing the little buckle part on. It can stitch through a quarter inch or so of leather like it's butter. Then I'll use my regular ol' sewing machine (just a cheapie little 10-year-old Kenmore) for the fabric insole, but that machine isn't as photo-worthy. ;)

54036b99aabfd001.jpg

I feel like I am more of a "designer" than a "seamstress" because making the pattern and figuring out exactly which materials to use and how they'll all go together is usually more fun and engaging than the actual assembly. For this pair I'm using a low-temperature thermoplastic material in the footbed, which will serve to bond the outsole to the midsole and ALSO allow me to mold it to cup and support where needed to keep all of my foot-and-toe bones aligned like they're supposed to be. It's a bit experimental, but I'm optimistic so far.

QUESTION: do any of you ladies get "seamstress' block"? Kind of like writer's block but where you get hung up on actually starting the process of sewing pieces together?? Because I totally do. I have a small stack of mending projects that are all pinned together but have been sitting otherwise untouched for months.

I'll also leave you with one of my favorite sewing tips to share: I like to transfer smaller pattern pieces to thicker paper or posterboard and give them a once-over on the backside with repositionable spray-adhesive (a la post-it notes), then just stick them directly to the fabric for marking and cutting. NO slipping, NO creasing/wrinkling, and gives a lot more stability while cutting.
That is such a good tip. My dad taught me to copy patterns onto muslin to reuse for later, but it sounds much easier to trace poster board. And your shoes are amazing.

TexasJenn

Woodpecker
Woman
Wow! I'm so impressed that you made your own shoes!!!

I recently sewed some beautiful white eyelet curtains for the bedroom.

Today I'm starting on a baby blue (called "angel blue") silk chemise/short gown for myself. The hardest part will be making the spaghetti straps, since I don't have the proper tool for the job and will have to get creative with the safety pin method.