Share your 9-5 workplace stories...

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
This is such a great insight. I always wondered why these corps would give in to this hogwash when they have plenty of resources and longevity to do as they please. For conglomerates whose god is capitalism, it always seemed so counterproductive for them to suddenly embody these practices that are shooting themselves in the foot, in the name of social virtue signaling. Great point, overcompensation for past indiscretions makes total sense. Never thought of it that way before.

My husband works in medical journalism and the staff is white and Asian. His boss jumps on *every* stupid trend that comes up-- we need more women, we need blacks, we need to change our gendered language, etc. It's for covering their butt if somebody complains. If the tides shifted, so would they.

That's probably why true-believer ideological lefties think there's a right-wing conspiracy. Plus I think a lot of what's going now is just the collective result of people growing up with the internet.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
“Kids these days don’t know how good they have it.”
-Boomer

My husband during the “Great Recession”:
“… 60 year old PhD’s are applying for my entry level job…”

DelMarMisty

Woodpecker
Woman
Orthodox
Middling corporate office work is just a jobs program for lazy, useless imposters. It’s not much different than public sector at this point. 90% of these Outlook jockey roles exist out of fiat, processes born out of processes. Meetings about meetings, etc. Becky expects her reports at 9am sharp! They are just layers of mostly pointless redundancies and easy busy work to obfuscate whatever productivity actually happens (little). Most of these people think meetings, powerpoints, and emails ARE work, and on top of that they think need an “education” to do it. They are viruses to an organization that only replicate through their own incompetence.
Why do these types have that small pupil gaze, freaks me out!

Atlas Shrugged

Robin
Woman
Love this. First 13 years of work was in finance. I hated it, knew it wasn’t for me. It truly was the typical office shit you see on TV. Two women had babies by same dude, Christmas parties always ended with a bang and everyone knew my Monday what happened. Couples getting caught in the janitors closet. Bosses acting like they are family and care about you. Then there were the customers that got angry or cried when I didn’t approve them. Love it when people think the credit score they got a hold of is what I see. Nope. So I went into healthcare. Specifically the lab where I can help people but never deal with them. You still get your crazies but it’s usually one super psycho per lab probably due to the chemicals we inhale. The worst that happened work wise was getting hit In the eye with prostate juice and getting squirted on the lip after cutting a sebaceous cyst. Both times I yelled for bleach but settled for alcohol. Which is better cause I can’t imagine bleach by the eye! Yes i should have been wearing a face shield but does anyone. No, except for maybe a newbie. The most epic was a mini explosion in front of my face but thank God that was one of the few times i wore my goggles. Chemicals in the lab are no joke. Especially when a lazy coworker doesn’t follow the rules and you come in after them to clean up their mess and boom! I’m still alive. The lab is never boring.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Not an office story, but on Sunday everyone called out so I was the only grill cook on the most high volume day of the week for 9 1/2 hours (for context, the line would have 5-6 working, we had two-- me cooking, with a manager working the window. Occasionally we had somebody in and out making eggs). I've been getting pins and needles up and down my arms since then (on Saturday night they had me make 200 pancakes at the end of the night for to-go orders, too).

I'm ready to have another baby, lol