Shaving

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Does anyone know if there is a shaver (electric) that can be used for both a close facial shave and use to trim hair?

I found a few by Braun that were for both facial shaving and beard trimming - looks like they might have been usable at a hair clipper too, but not sure.

Otherwise, does anyone have a good recommendation for a travel hair clipper? Looking to reduce bulk.

I started using Braun pocket shavers in the mid-late 80s. Minimalist design, inexpensive (about $20-25CDN) very effective and lasted for a long time. They even had a pop-out beard trimmer on the side. The current day iteration looks more elaborate but I would give it a shot. Price-wise very reasonable.

This is what they used to look like:
1609357523035.png

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I started using Braun pocket shavers in the mid-late 80s. Minimalist design, inexpensive (about $20-25CDN) very effective and lasted for a long time. They even had a pop-out beard trimmer on the side. The current day iteration looks more elaborate but I would give it a shot. Price-wise very reasonable.

This is what they used to look like:
View attachment 27999

What do/did you use this for?

What do/did you use this for?
Shaving. Did the job for morning shave and for quick pre-inspection (in the army) touch-ups, for which the pocket size was a bonus. Evening touch-ups as well. Did not have moustache/beard at the time so can't comment on the trimmer.

I used them for several years but only bought 2 in that time, so like I said, value for money was great.

Durden347

Robin
I don't know. I just find the cheapest razor packs I can find in the Dollar Store and a big can of shaving cream. Don't shave too often though and have patchy facial hair. I only keep my goatee.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
I don't know. I just find the cheapest razor packs I can find in the Dollar Store and a big can of shaving cream. Don't shave too often though and have patchy facial hair. I only keep my goatee.

It seems that Gilette, a radical, liberal, far-left, agitate, evil corporation has a monopoly on such items.

I can't think of having seen any displays in shops where there was anything other than Gillette and Wilkinson Sword. Sometimes it's only Gilette. Wilkinson Sword is owned by Gilette.

Buy mainstream razors and you are supporting globalism.

Diocletian

Woodpecker
It seems that Gilette, a radical, liberal, far-left, agitate, evil corporation has a monopoly on such items.

I can't think of having seen any displays in shops where there was anything other than Gillette and Wilkinson Sword. Sometimes it's only Gilette. Wilkinson Sword is owned by Gilette.

Buy mainstream razors and you are supporting globalism.

Feather DE razors are supposed to be the sharpest around, at least that's been my experience. You can buy them online from stores that aren't Amazon. They're made in Japan, I don't think they're owned by any Globohomo corps.

DeWoken

Robin
Badger and Blade is a great shaving forum.

DE blades have subtly different metallurgy and manufacturing processes, resulting in different feel and performance. Basically, experienced DE shavers recommend you try out different blades to see what suits you, as no one blade suits all. Often times with increasing sharpness there is a decrease in perceived smoothness. For example I wouldn't personally use Feather blades anymore unless I was experimenting.

Unfortunately, many of the top DE blades are owned by Gillette (P&G). But fortunately, they are quite economical so you aren't giving them much money by buying them. The above site mentions the company manufacturing each blade.

Braun electrics seem to get good reviews. In general, from discussions I've read, electrics seem to be greatly improved over models from decades past. I recently picked up an Phillips Oneblade and it's okay for shaving in a hurry (but I try to minimize EMFs next to my brain).

I bet shaving is even less popular these days with these damn face diapers.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I have been shocked at how inferior the alternatives to Gillette are. Their Mach 3 has been the standard for me for years. I purchased 100 blades on ebay for $100 years ago and when they finally ran out, I took advantage of an offer to try the newest Schtick 4 blade razor. It was awful. I couldn't even get it to remove short facial hair with a brand new blade.

When Gillette went full anti-male I began looking in earnest for alternatives. The Feather razor blades got top marks from many, but I ended up buying the Costco Kirkland brand razor and it is fantastic. Better than the Mach 3, and the blade seems to last longer, though I've been growing out my beard lately so I can't comment too much on that. But I'm still on the same blade from when I bought it months ago. The handle is also heavier and better than Gillette. It's similar price to the Mach 3, maybe a bit cheaper. I would highly recommend it. Get a buddy with a Costco membership to pick one up if you don't have one. If nothing else, that can be your travel razor, if you are using something larger like the Feathers.

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Disposable razors generally leave stubble and razor burn. Commercial shaving cream is full of testosterone-lowering chemicals. I made the transition to a double edged razor / homemade cream a few years ago and never looked back.

- Merkur Double Edged: German quality engineering, clean steel that lasts a lifetime. Have had mine for several years already, still in mint condition.
MRK23C-3_1200x.jpg

- Feather razors blades: Mentioned earlier by @Diocletian, these are the sharpest razors on the market. Japanese quality, think katana-level shaving. Non globohomo owned, as an added bonus.

Feather-Razor-Blade.jpg

Badger Hair brush: Brand doesn't really matter here, as long as it's made of badger hair. Use this brush with a bar of soap to make your own shaving cream. Super simple, just brush the soap in circles til it turns into cream. Make sure to use soap without those testosterone-lowering chemicals; French milled is generally a good choice. Tons of videos on the topic of lather as well.

shaving-lather-4.jpg

This is all you need to have a quality shave for the rest of your life. Every time the Feather glides across my face I come out the other side with baby-smooth skin. Hard to beat the feeling. Cannot recommend the above set up enough. Haven't touched a disposable or a can of shaving cream since. 4 years and running.

DeWoken

Robin
Disposable razors generally leave stubble and razor burn. Commercial shaving cream is full of testosterone-lowering chemicals. I made the transition to a double edged razor / homemade cream a few years ago and never looked back.
You are far from being a mere initiate, bravo. :)

- Merkur Double Edged: German quality engineering, clean steel that lasts a lifetime. Have had mine for several years already, still in mint condition.
However, your knowledge of steel is lacking.

This is a discussion from 7 years ago over on B&B and there have been many discussions like it since. Just search their board for "zamak".

Number of thread about their modern pot metal razors snapping off due to corrosion - lots
Number of threads about their modern pot metal razor corroding under the plating, or flaking issues - lots

Number of threads about their stainless steel razor showing rust spots - some

Number of threads about plating flaking off their 40+ year old vintage razor - few
Number of threads about heads snapping off their 40+ year old vintage razor - few
Number of threads aboutmetal corrosion on their 40+ year old vintage razor - few

The standard Merkur and Edwin Jagger razor is a plated zamak, known pejoratively as "pot metal". Over a few years the plating breaks down to reveal a fragile core. One fall from chest height could be the end and decades of continued use is not likely. Traditionally razors were made of brass and then plated. Brass has the advantage of being resistant to shatter, and although not completely resistant to corrosion they will fare better than zamak when cared for. Vintage razor enthusiasts get their favorite pieces re-plated in a variety of metals.

To alleviate this problem of pot metal vendors have responded by coming out with razors in full stainless steel and aluminum. Italian Barber has managed some impressive looking offerings that are not much more expensive than standard zamak razors. Their most well known series is the Game Changer.

Just for fairness I'll mention that another large online vendor is Maggard Razors, and for slightly smaller there is Shavenation, run by YouTube's Geofatboy. (Defund Amazon! ... just don't look at the surname of the IB owner ;)).

Italian manufacturer, Fatip, makes some nice razors in the traditional style of plated brass.

Feather's disposable straight razor (shavette) system - Feather Artist Club - has a strong following on B&B.

My favorite soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat, with Proraso Red coming in second. I don't use aftershave very often these days, opting for just witch hazel to gently cleanse.