Should dogs be kept as Pets?

This is intrinsically related to the other post I made about how 'Nationalism' is becoming out of date in the modern world.

The US has a population of 300million. Many love dogs but there certainly must be many who dislike dog ownership (in cities) equally so for reasons posted above and others.

The problem is those with negative views are basically silenced as they are a minority who have to respect the National Laws that allow for dog ownership. This 'minority' could be upto 150mill people.

It doesnt make sense to attempt to 'force' one set of values over so many people.

People who dont like dogs should have the freedom to go and live in cities or towns where pet dogs are banned. But these towns and cities do not exist because there is an idea that these things are a part of National culture or laws.

Douglas Quaid

Kingfisher
Absolutely. Dogs are called Man's best friend for a reason, and a significantly better companion than most people. Obviously make sure to feed them right, give them plenty of exercise, put in the effort to properly train them and appreciate their love and affection.

Today someone had their old labrador sitting outside. I started petting him and it was a great feeling to see the appreciation in his eyes and his tail wagging. It turned a so so day into a great one.

I wish I had appreciated how amazing dogs are when I was growing up.

dog-cat-gif.gif

source.gif

Animals love to be around us - even some wild animals sense that there is something special going on with us.

Obviously in the rather congested and sometimes badly designed cities rules have to be enacted to keep things proper, but it's still worth it.

buja said:
TooFineAPoint said:
If you live in a tiny space, get a small dog or a cat. Don't be an idiot and curse an animal that requires tons of exercise by shoving them into a cell.

There are idiots (former neighbors) who have dogs who never walk them because "they live on a quarter acre". One of their dogs barked all the time and another died of cancer.

I know someone with a Golden Retriever who lives in an apartment and the dog is healthy and happy and doesn't bark.

Guess which dogs got walked every day?
(hint: not the ones who lived on a quarter acre)

A dog doesn't want to walk around in circles all day...so the yard of a typical single family home is not enough, the dog still needs to be walked.

The amount of space a dog lives in is not nearly important as how well the dog is taken care of...

Agreed. I used to sit any dogs in the neighborhood of which I was a friend. My ex-GFs dog, a neighbor down the block, etc.

I lived in a bachelor suite at the time.

Puppers got fed, pet, wrassled as needed. And got walked (to shit/piss) minimum 3X a day.

Those dogs loved to hang with me. And they were good buddies in return.

As I type this, our cat is perched on my legs. Pleased as punch, and purring.

The animals just want some care and some space to operate. Not hard for a thinking/planning individual.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Not in apartments. I live in a 750 sqft 1 bedroom, and the unit next to me I am assuming is roughly the same size, the lady has two dogs and they bark all the time. Very annoying and I feel sad for those dogs kept in this tiny place. Inhumane.

Edit: Oh yeah the solution to the barking problem at 6 am? The lady next door told me she would put heavy blankets over their crates when she leaves in the morning early(School teacher) to calm them down and muffle any barking. It works for the most part but man, I would hate to be a dog stuck in a crate all day with a heavy blanket over it.

RIslander

Hummingbird
A friend of mine had the perfect system for interacting with dogs. He volunteered at The Seeing Eye in Morristown, NJ (the original school for seeing eye dogs) by taking out the dogs that failed training and were awaiting adoption. The guy would come home with 5+ numbers a day dropping game in the town square telling girls he was volunteering to walk retarded dogs.

Felix88

Kingfisher
I was reading Lives by Plutarch and this paragraph fit quite well with the topic at hand.

"Cæsar once, seeing some wealthy strangers at Rome, carrying up and down with them in their arms and bosoms young puppy-dogs and monkeys, embracing and making much of them, took occasion not unnaturally to ask whether the women in their country were not used to bear children; by that prince-like reprimand gravely reflecting upon persons who spend and lavish upon brute beasts that affection and kindness which nature has implanted in us to be bestowed on those of our own kind. With like reason may we blame those who misuse that love of inquiry and observation which nature has implanted in our souls, by expending it on objects unworthy of the attention either of their eyes or their ears, while they disregard such as are excellent in themselves, and would do them good."

The ancients knew what's up.

Felix88 said:
I was reading Lives by Plutarch and this paragraph fit quite well with the topic at hand.

"Cæsar once, seeing some wealthy strangers at Rome, carrying up and down with them in their arms and bosoms young puppy-dogs and monkeys, embracing and making much of them, took occasion not unnaturally to ask whether the women in their country were not used to bear children; by that prince-like reprimand gravely reflecting upon persons who spend and lavish upon brute beasts that affection and kindness which nature has implanted in us to be bestowed on those of our own kind. With like reason may we blame those who misuse that love of inquiry and observation which nature has implanted in our souls, by expending it on objects unworthy of the attention either of their eyes or their ears, while they disregard such as are excellent in themselves, and would do them good."

Makes sense that a guy who can't appreciate the loyal company of a dog would eventually get stabbed to death by some of his friends.

Felix88 said:
A lot of people got mauled to death by dogs last year.

70%+ of those due to the infatuation of Mestizos with pitbulls and other kinds of dogs which are hard to deal with (not impossible, but most people are legions away from Casear Milan).

2-period-14-years-dog-bite-fatalities-2005-2018@x2.jpg

If I looked at stats like that I would order mandatory training and high high insurance premiums for those owners. Anyone who has had strong aggressive breeds or has had experience with them like I did, then you know that they are not your normal pets, but must be treated very differently and far more careful than your average mutt that you can let run around freely.

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
Felix88 said:

Nah, dogs are great in moderation and in the right environment, with the right owners.

Go back just a bit further...The REAL ancients knew what's up:

[attachment=42597]

But I do see your point about modern dog owners.

[attachment=42598]

Attachments

• Dog1.jpg
    Dog1.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 615
  • Dog2.jpg
    Dog2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 639

invester

Chicken
Zenta said:
Not in apartments. I live in a 750 sqft 1 bedroom, and the unit next to me I am assuming is roughly the same size, the lady has two dogs and they bark all the time. Very annoying and I feel sad for those dogs kept in this tiny place. Inhumane.

Edit: Oh yeah the solution to the barking problem at 6 am? The lady next door told me she would put heavy blankets over their crates when she leaves in the morning early(School teacher) to calm them down and muffle any barking. It works for the most part but man, I would hate to be a dog stuck in a crate all day with a heavy blanket over it.

I live in 750ish sqft. Working from home helps a lot. Walk the pup 3-4x a day and play fetch. She sleeps for like 2-3 hours at a time after all the exercise.

Donfitz007

Kingfisher
I think Dogs should be kept as pets as long as they feel apart of a pack. What I mean by apart of the pack is having a role, such as a hunting dog, guard dog, or some sort of protector/aggressor. Having a sedentary dog is torture. Hell even cats should be left to hunt for most of their food to help keep the house pest free.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
I wouldn't go as far as some in this thread, but I absolutely think apartments should ban dogs. I've had plenty of bad experiences dealing with other peoples' big dumb angry unhappy apartment dogs.

They're fine as family pets and living in places where they have enough room to function as nature intended.

I think fish are underrated. An aquarium can be as simple or complex as you wish, cheap or expensive as you wish. No need for daily walks or obedience training. The aquarium can be a calming meditative piece adding a touch of nature to your home. (Especially important in cities.) There are even aquascaping competitions.

FdAhtbd.jpg

lHL3I3R.jpg