Should dogs be kept as Pets?

lonewolf1968

Kingfisher
A few months back I had to put down an adopted dog because of bone cancer. We tried to save her by amputating one leg but it had already spreaded out. 7 years with her. Doggos are incredible creatures. I think I'll cry when my 11 year old dog, the one I grew up with passes away. He's in good health right now, but I guess the time is getting nearer and nearer. The disgust expressed by the other forum member reminds me of my younger self, I hated dogs until I got one. Cheers.

kamoz

Kingfisher
Gold Member
To answer the thread title - nah.

The phenomenon is largely American, those outside of the US (for the most part) don’t really care for dogs as pets.

If you live on a farm and you have dogs that serve a utilitarian purpose - absolutely.

One of the biggest issues that I’ve had for years is noise. I’ve lived in many different places and this is a constant. I’d say that responsible owners on this front are probably 25% or less of total recreational dog owners.

With small children, there is the risk of injury and even death. All for a “just for fun” pet that serves no other purpose.

In recent years we’ve seen young women use dogs to replace children at the behest of social pressure from the establishment (“dog moms”). Young men then follow this to chase these women. Married “dog couples” even significantly delay having children, if at all, using dogs as substitutes.

All in all too many negatives with little to no positives.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich

The phenomenon is largely American, those outside of the US (for the most part) don’t really care for dogs as pets.

If you live on a farm and you have dogs that serve a utilitarian purpose - absolutely.

One of the biggest issues that I’ve had for years is noise. I’ve lived in many different places and this is a constant. I’d say that responsible owners on this front are probably 25% or less of total recreational dog owners.

With small children, there is the risk of injury and even death. All for a “just for fun” pet that serves no other purpose.

In recent years we’ve seen young women use dogs to replace children at the behest of social pressure from the establishment (“dog moms”). Young men then follow this to chase these women. Married “dog couples” even significantly delay having children, if at all, using dogs as substitutes.

Not sure about the It's just an American thing. Nearly every society has its own particular breed of dog, ranging from Carin Terror, to Chow Chow to cocker spaniel. All of them serve a purpose, if even only to be as companions for people.

Dog's hurting children is a result of people owning animals with out any idea what they are doing and no knowledge on how to properly raise and train them.

You see this a lot with blacks who own high prey drive dogs like Corsos, pits, American Bulldogs ECT...

Most labs don't have a reputation of messing with kids.

Growing up my folks bred standard poodles (not the little fur balls people think about with toy or miniatures... they can get around 75-80 lbs) we had a male nip at me when i was a little kid while my dad was there trying to socialize it to me the first time.. Dog was gone the next day. In this case the particular animal was being aggressive around his puppies and my dad had his suspicions about the animals potential interaction hence the concern.

My folks didn't know really how to breed dogs as far as proper kennel procedures and were a little beyond their depth in that regard, but as soon as any negative behavior was witnessed the dog was gone. So dog ownership is pretty common sense if you're a responsible person.

I haven't had any issues with my American Bulldog, but I introduced him around my little kids since I've had him at 8 weeks. Now he plays with them by mouthing with them, but had never bitten them or drawn blood. He and I will wrestle, and I've got him riled up to the point where he's headbutted me and all that, but I knew what I was doing and it was part of training.

Another point worth noting is that if you have psychological issues like PTSD a dog can really help you out. Have several military friends with dogs as a result of their adjustment issues post service.

Same goes for having a special needs child. I've got that situation in my family and the dog is a huge comfort to my son, who has some serious issues and the dog always calms him down when he's in situations where things could result in a meltdown.

So I don't get the anti-dog mentality. I'm more anti-poor dog owner. I had a neighborhoor who had a pit. This dog would always try and get into my yard and go after my wife's little rat dog. Destroyed our adjoining fence. I don't have anything against pits, wife used to have one, but if you don't know what you're doing it's a huge liability with high prey drive. I had to tell them, that i wasn't replacing their stuff and if the dog gets into my yard entire i will or my wife will shoot it on site, and if it kills my wife's dog someone is gonna catch an asswhoopin. Fast forward to me getting my AB and him getting up to about 120 lbs (still growing now...) And neighbors seeing me taking him on walks and doing training in the neighboring field and miraculously the fence was fixed and the their dog wasn't a problem.

And the above is also one more reason I don't worry about being the only "white" family in a mostly black and immigrant working class suburb. Everyone knows "that's the house with the huge dog and the scary munchkin guy who always walks him at random hours of the night... Better leave them alone"

Easy_C

Peacock

For some women it’s a safety thing. My wife felt safer with dogs and got one because in her words “it’s just two girls living here”(she was living in a house with her friend at the the time) “and it was creepy coming home with the lights off and you don’t know if anyone is in there”.

I feel similarly but more pragmatically. I’d recommend taking any kind of scenario-based self defense training to learn how easily you can be ambushed and taken down even when you’re armed and expecting something to go wrong. A dog massively counters that advantage because a dog on its normal behavior becomes part of your environmental baseline. Any significant change in the dog’s behavior (or lack of the dog rushing out to greet you) is a massive cue that something is wrong that will allow you to either avoid springing a trap or to get the drop on an attacker.

FYI there’s plenty of examples of high speed special ops raids that went south quickly because someone nearby had a dog that started howling and alerted the target.

kamoz

Kingfisher
Gold Member
It’s definitely an American thing. I have family and multiple friends and acquaintances abroad and I can count on one hand the number that have dogs as pets. It is growing however, namely with young women advertising that they’re dog moms. Like a lot of other facets of westernization, this too is trickling down to other countries albeit with a several year delay.

Regarding children being injured or killed, I understand it’s not necessarily widespread. It’s also reflective of the owner, just like a car can kill you as a result of an irresponsible driver. It’s just not a risk I’m willing to take - for example, I wouldn’t let a dog owner babysit my baby or small child (nothing against them, just something I take into consideration).

My biggest issue is noise. This is something I’ve dealt with for years in many different places. To make matters worse, nobody does anything about it. Not the owner, not animal control, not the HOA, not the police, no one. It’s quite tiring.

I think what takes the cake however is that it is another visible indicator of Western decay and godlessness - namely the elevation of animal life to be equal to or greater than human life. This with the dog moms and dads.

Of course all of this only applies to the bad apples. There are plenty of responsible dog owners and I am in no way opposing the freedom to do so. But in overly dog favorable America, I am often the one to point out these negatives. As you can expect, I’ve triggered plenty of women doing so ;)

Pancras

Sparrow

Heh, I take it you haven’t been to France?… :oops: If anything the phenomenon is worse in Europe. Argentina/Brazil too. Replace American/US with Western/First World and you might have a point.

Last edited:

Pancras

Sparrow
A lot of people got mauled to death by dogs last year.
Most of them are pit bulls.
D232E795-B3AF-44D6-8A46-1241EC353B7E.jpeg
Recently I found myself in the unenviable position of being in an office building, and passed by a woman's office with a self-congratulatory sign proclaiming her adherence to various degenerate causes as an "ally." The most egregious said something very close to this:

"I am a PIT MOM and BREED ADVOCATE"

So not only do you advertise your slavish, unnatural devotion to your pet, which is a clear indicator of your internalized guilt from your failure to reproduce and have actual children, but you "advocate" for a dog breed responsible for the vast majority of injuries and deaths.

These people are utterly broken.
09B02AC2-090C-4E3C-B7AB-0ACA2E65630B.jpeg

Last edited:

Rob Banks

Pelican
Interesting topic.

My sister works as a dog trainer. She has always loved dogs. So I've had many discussions/arguments with her about this.

I've always had a problem with pets being spayed/neutered. I believe in respecting all of God's creations. Mutilating an animal in order to render it sterile (so that it will be more convenient to keep as a pet) is not good.

However, when I've said this to my sister, she points out that if pets are not neutered, then the stray population increases, and these strays end up in dog pounds where they get killed.

So I've come to the conclusion that the only solution would be to stop keeping dogs (and cats) as pets in big cities.

Maybe if you live in a rural area it's different. But I've heard stories of how, in the old days, farmers would drown entire litters of kittens or puppies because they could not afford to take care of them.

Now, if animals are mutilated in order to perform farm labor (e.g. oxen), I think this is different. I don't think slaughtering animals for meat is bad either.

I do think hunting purely for sport is bad. And by the same token, I think it's bad to mutilate animals and render them sterile just so that you can keep them for "companionship."

P.S. The dog thing is not only an American thing. I have family in South America and I lived there many years. Plenty of people have dogs as pets. There are also lots of stray dogs as well.

deerhunter

Sparrow
Gold Member
I have had dogs my whole life, well before we moved to America. Not just an American thing. Some people will always have dogs and I am one of them. Ride around in my truck, find and fetch game, act tough if someone comes sneaking in the house, happy to see me. Couldn't imagine how much less my life would have been without all my great dogs. As far as biting kids goes just put it down at the first sign of that behavior. Never had to do that but I would. No time for mean dogs.

Greyman

Sparrow
Most people are idiots. Why would dog ownership be any different for the idiotic masses...? Most dogs are accessories.

Mine? A hard-hitting, micro farm protecting, raccoon coyote killing, keeping assholes out of my small little hobby farm and my chickens protected Mountain Cur.

Y’all may want to consider grabbing some land snd good dog or two to keep your family protected from the coming bullshit.

We are going to see a return to community-based living and good ranch/farm dogs are instrumental in keeping the two and four-legged varmints at bay.

My dog sleeps outside all year, Is housebroken completely and knows all the basic commands including a few hunting specific ones…, fiercely protective of the kids, Sits on my dirtbike till I let him off, ; The greatest ideal a dog can live up to his laying down it’s life for the protection of its family… Just like my last husky shepherd did chasing off a bear that was ravaging my chicken coop With the door to my small cabin completely open and a bear not 10 feet from the entrance with my woman and myself as we slept.

I skin what we kill and it goes into feeding him....Rabbits muskrats beavers rats raccoons possums or chickens that no longer lay eggs and are too tough for human consumption etc. Screw commercial dog food except when you’re on a road trip. If y’all don’t understand because you’re silly f’in Slickers how prevalent wild animals are in most of America; get out of your coastal elite crap induced cities cupcakes. Raccoon is good eating…

Look up Joseph Carter a.k.a. the Minkman for a demonstration on mink and dogs eradicating pest animals in the Most Humane Way, God ever made… With dogs and Mink. Next Level animal training.

I love my dog. He’s my friend. He keeps coyotes and strangers off the property and doesn’t hurt my chickens or my kids. I’m not a dog dad; he isn’t my furbaby. He’s a dog. I bought him at great expense and put a lot of hours into training him. He’s functional and pleasant to have around. He’s kind of a jerk, but so am I and he seems to like me anyway. That’s enough for me.

king bast

Kingfisher
I've always had a problem with pets being spayed/neutered. I believe in respecting all of God's creations. Mutilating an animal in order to render it sterile (so that it will be more convenient to keep as a pet) is not good.

However, when I've said this to my sister, she points out that if pets are not neutered, then the stray population increases, and these strays end up in dog pounds where they get killed.

That sounds like standard normie boilerplate that she's heard and repeated without considering the truth of it. Indeed, it's the line every vet pushes, and pushes HARD.

But I can't for the life of me figure out how my male dog which is kept confined to my property, or walked on a lead, would get the opportunity to impregnate someones bitch, which is also confined to their property and walked on a lead. TBH, I wouldn't care if it did, because it would be the bitches owner who got the puppies. If they're worried about ending up with unwanted puppies, sterilising the females only would provide the same result. Absolutely no need to neuter 100% of dogs when 50% gets the same result.

Another argument they push is that it makes them "easier to manage", but I think that's just ghastly. Imagine cutting a creatures balls off, just for your convenience. A few years back I would have wondered how people could do something so monstrous without consideration, but covid pretty much answered that question.

Rob Banks

Pelican
That sounds like standard normie boilerplate that she's heard and repeated without considering the truth of it. Indeed, it's the line every vet pushes, and pushes HARD.

But I can't for the life of me figure out how my male dog which is kept confined to my property, or walked on a lead, would get the opportunity to impregnate someones bitch, which is also confined to their property and walked on a lead. TBH, I wouldn't care if it did, because it would be the bitches owner who got the puppies. If they're worried about ending up with unwanted puppies, sterilising the females only would provide the same result. Absolutely no need to neuter 100% of dogs when 50% gets the same result.

Another argument they push is that it makes them "easier to manage", but I think that's just ghastly. Imagine cutting a creatures balls off, just for your convenience. A few years back I would have wondered how people could do something so monstrous without consideration, but covid pretty much answered that question.
When I was a kid, I had lots of cats and dogs, both male and female. The male's personalities do change a lot when they get neutered, while the females don't change so much. I think this is because cutting off the balls really messes with the animal's hormones, while mere tying of the tubes does not mess with it so much.

That being said, I think it's wrong to spay or neuter any animal, regardless of gender (except in cases where it's needed for farm work, such as with oxen).

I think it's OK to use animals for farming. Of course, you should try to be as respectful as possible of God's creations. But if the animal is being killed (or neutered) as a necessity for the farm, then I'm more or less OK with it.

But to sterilize an animal just for "companionship" or to make it "easier to manage" is just flat-out wrong.

My dad's ex-GF used to have cats that she would clip the nails off of. She would also make the cats fat on purpose by overfeeding them (for no other reason than she liked fat cats). I don't see neutering as being any different from this.

If you were to amputate a dog's back legs and put wheels on it, this would be seen as cruel. PETA would be protesting, and you'd probably end up in jail. Your excuse that "I did it to prevent him from running away/attacking other dogs/whatever" would not fly. How is this any different from neutering?

Rob Banks

Pelican
But I can't for the life of me figure out how my male dog which is kept confined to my property, or walked on a lead, would get the opportunity to impregnate someones bitch
I once went over to a guy's house where he lived with his roommates. He had three (intact) male cats, and although this was not in a big city, they were indoor cats and were not allowed outside.

They had never interacted with a female cat. But they had their hormones and natural impulses. So they would spend their time humping and rubbing up on pillows and couches.

The guy whose house it was kept laughing and thought this was hilarious. I thought it was messed up.

Keeping animals in unnatural conditions (such as keeping male cats confined indoors and secluded from females) is just as bad as neutering them.

Are you familiar with the "mouse utopia" experiment from the 1950s or 60s where all the mice ended up dead after a few years because they could not adapt to their unnatural environment, despite having all their physical needs provided for?

My position may be considered extreme, but I simply don't think it's right to keep pets for "companionship" (as opposed to keeping them for hunting or farming purposes) in big cities where they will need to be neutered, confined to leashes and small spaces, or forced to live in unnatural environments.

thetruewhitenorth

Robin
Orthodox

Absolutely agree. I see this dog worshipping everywhere. These days owning a dog is a must have.

If you say you dont like dogs, people look at you as if you just clubbed a baby seal in front of them. You must be non human!

I for once sick of dog barking everywhere. You cant even escape it in a quite suburbia. A few of your neighbors will definitely have them. Yap-yap-yap at random times.

Most dog owners are one of the most unbearable characters you can come across - arrogant, entitled and usually as Leftist as it gets.

Also, constantly seeing digs poop everywhere is gross. I cant conceive how one can see his own pet crapping and then just walking away without bothering to pick it up?

At my work Im only one of a few persons indifferent to pets. Most have an odd mix of both dogs and cats at home and these people are usually either mature and single or married and childless for life due to age.

There's only one younger chap who is married and has cats. By after I saw a pic of his fresh wife, I kinda figured their pets will be their children for life....

Every guy should be a dog person because:

Lock a woman in your trunk and they're gonna be hopping mad when to open the door to let em out... Lock your dog in the truck and when you open the door theyre gonna be wagging their tails happy to see you.

Reason enough.

========
This mother was posting stuff about transitioning her child at age 3.

I really wonder wtf happened with Dad that he married this nut.

Then again I ask myself the same question.
Are these related?? :D