Should dogs be kept as Pets?

Peacock
Gold Member
Heh, I take it you haven’t been to France?… :oops: If anything the phenomenon is worse in Europe. Argentina/Brazil too. Replace American/US with Western/First World and you might have a point.

It's not a specifically American phenomenon, but a modern western social trend. As cultures like those in S. America or east Asia westernize, you see a rise in dog ownership there as well.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Are these related?? :D
Well, its undoubtedly true that my dog is a much better companion than my ex-wife. That being said, neither have been locked in a car by me...and I would also be much more sad if my dog was hit by a car vs my ex-wife whom I would not feel any sorrow for in the event she were to say... get hit by a bus....

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Cant believe there's a thread questioning this. They're called man's best friend for a reason. I'm always somewhat suspicious about someone who does not like dogs. Almost a red flag IMHO.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
Pretty sure the OP likes dogs and was just asking if it is inhumane to keep a dog, which loves to run around outdoors and sniff things and pee everywhere, trapped inside a tiny apartment. It's a bit like prison for the dog, except with good food and a loving warden.

I think as long as you love the dog and play with it a lot and give it frequent walks, it's probably happy with the situation, but I do agree city folk keeping pets indoors does seem a bit wrong (I am one though I live in a house with a large yard and dog access doors to come in and out).

WhiteWolf

Robin
Pretty sure the OP likes dogs and was just asking if it is inhumane to keep a dog, which loves to run around outdoors and sniff things and pee everywhere, trapped inside a tiny apartment. It's a bit like prison for the dog, except with good food and a loving warden.

I think as long as you love the dog and play with it a lot and give it frequent walks, it's probably happy with the situation, but I do agree city folk keeping pets indoors does seem a bit wrong (I am one though I live in a house with a large yard and dog access doors to come in and out).
I used to have a huge dogo argentino when i lived in a small apartment. He was very happy but i would take him on long bycicle rides every day untill he was exhausted. When he got old i had a house with a garden, he really needed that, having a big old dog that cant hold his pee and needs to pee like 10 times a day in a small apartment would be hell for him. So my opinion is young dog in apartment with plenty of excersise is very doable, old dog needs garden.

jeffinjapan

Sparrow
Orthodox
I have two house dogs (toy poodles) and to be honest, I can’t stand them. They’re needy and yappy, especially the older one. Unless you REALLY loves dogs and are willing to devote a lot of time and effort towards their care, then stay away.

I was reading Lives by Plutarch and this paragraph fit quite well with the topic at hand.

"Cæsar once, seeing some wealthy strangers at Rome, carrying up and down with them in their arms and bosoms young puppy-dogs and monkeys, embracing and making much of them, took occasion not unnaturally to ask whether the women in their country were not used to bear children; by that prince-like reprimand gravely reflecting upon persons who spend and lavish upon brute beasts that affection and kindness which nature has implanted in us to be bestowed on those of our own kind. With like reason may we blame those who misuse that love of inquiry and observation which nature has implanted in our souls, by expending it on objects unworthy of the attention either of their eyes or their ears, while they disregard such as are excellent in themselves, and would do them good."

The ancients knew what's up.

Caesar would go nuts with the modern Americans who call their dogs and cats "fur babies!" Lol I despise the term... And often the people who do this, don't of course have children.

I'm an expat in the Philippines, and ordinary/poorer Filipinos seem to generally only like small and barely medium sized dogs. The love of big dogs capable of great violence to humans seems to be very frowned upon. And if they get loose they quickly end up being culled by the community. I suspect they are seen as a potential threat to small children.

In America I remember how big angry dog ownership is a popular thing, and with it, the attendant attacks and problems. But as they say, "a dog is a reflection of his/her owner."