Should young women go to college? If not, what should they (realistically) do?

Should young women go to college?

• Yes

• No

• I don’t know

• Maybe, under certain conditions (explain)

• Other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Is red hair a problem?
As a red haired woman, I hope not! Lol. But seriously, I too am curious where @Ah_Tibor ’s facts come from. Most ancient studies show that the wealthy in those times fashinably shaved their hair and wore wigs, exclusively. Very few people, mostly servants would have known the natural hair color of their masters, and of those few, almost none could have recorded that information as written skills were beyond the grasp of even fewer scribes. So If this is modern DNA conclusive, I’d still be very curious to read the studies. Red hair in ancient times was not rare, but highly unlikely in that particular dynasty.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
I’ve responded about the college thing, but as for the second part of the OP question… a young woman should learn a trade or skill, or at least be well versed in the home skills.
I went to school to become a seamstress, designer, and ultimately a master tailor. In this day and age, modern women simply don’t teach their daughters these skills: so they are now much in demand. I can work anywhere and anytime. I learned everything from spinning my own fibers to building any piece of clothing you can think of, to designing a runway collection and marketing it. And to save my future household money on repairs and alterations in clothing and even furnishings/upholstery for a lifetime.

*Note: this was a skill my mother DID teach me, but I went the path of university certification at my father’s urging, to become trained and self-sufficient if need be, and not rely on college for husband-hunting.

So in that vein, whether college or otherwise, a young woman should learn and master a household skill to take with her for life. Mine was in the fabric arts, but any skilled trade is important- culinary, early childhood development, floral/gardening, hair artistry, cleaning/laundering, etc. With a good background in family morals and values, a good useful feminine skill is necessary. If I ever had daughters, they would be raised to know everything I know about making and altering clothing and working with fabric to improve the home.

Edit to add “feminine skill”

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
As a red haired woman, I hope not! Lol. But seriously, I too am curious where @Ah_Tibor ’s facts come from. Most ancient studies show that the wealthy in those times fashinably shaved their hair and wore wigs, exclusively. Very few people, mostly servants would have known the natural hair color of their masters, and of those few, almost none could have recorded that information as written skills were beyond the grasp of even fewer scribes. So If this is modern DNA conclusive, I’d still be very curious to read the studies. Red hair in ancient times was not rare, but highly unlikely in that particular dynasty.

The shaven head thing is true, so portraits of her as a redhead probably means the hair came from a slave somewhere. She did have a schnoz though.

A family friend (Greek who married a Bulgarian) always told me that Cleopatra was a redheaded Greek; ancient Greeks weren't the same as modern ones, especially an inbred elite bloodline. I don't think those AI recreations look at all accurate (they're also creepy in an uncanny valley way).

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
The shaven head thing is true, so portraits of her as a redhead probably means the hair came from a slave somewhere. She did have a schnoz though.

A family friend (Greek who married a Bulgarian) always told me that Cleopatra was a redheaded Greek; ancient Greeks weren't the same as modern ones, especially an inbred elite bloodline. I don't think those AI recreations look at all accurate (they're also creepy in an uncanny valley way).
Ah I see what you’re saying, especially about the bloodlines and slave hair. Makes total sense. I’ve seen those weird recreations — eek! Very uncanny valley. See it in modern AI depictions of Jesus too and it looks just bizarre.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Ah I see what you’re saying, especially about the bloodlines and slave hair. Makes total sense. I’ve seen those weird recreations — eek! Very uncanny valley. See it in modern AI depictions of Jesus too and it looks just bizarre.

ahhh I think I know the one you're talking about. My mom always watched those shows that popped up around Western Easter like "Shroud of Turin, REAL or FAKE" and there was that creepy AI Jesus.

Does anyone look good on a coin, though?

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
ahhh I think I know the one you're talking about. My mom always watched those shows that popped up around Western Easter like "Shroud of Turin, REAL or FAKE" and there was that creepy AI Jesus.

Does anyone look good on a coin, though?
This comment makes me chuckle… when I was little, for years I thought it was my grandfather on the US dime. My grandparents also had a framed photo of Pope St. John Paul II on their wall as well. In my child mind, the man depicted on the dime and in the photograph could only be one and the same— the only older stern man in my little world. Who else would be so important as to be on the wall and on the coins my grandparents gave me as small treats and tokens?? Franklin D. Roosevelt and Pope JPII were one and the same person, my Papà — and my Papa was on a coin!

She had a big nose and red hair. I think all of these reconstructions are generous, actually, lol, considering a lot of them had serious genetic abnormalities (King Tut had club feet, an overbite, etc).

Woah. Cool it with the Paddy discrimination. :squintlol:.

But then again it is probably justified :hmm:

There are some theories online that the Egyptian Pharoahs and Irish are somehow related.

Solitarius

Sparrow
Woah. Cool it with the Paddy discrimination. :squintlol:.

But then again it is probably justified :hmm:

There are some theories online that the Egyptian Pharoahs and Irish are somehow related.
This is interesting, I have a book on the history of the Irish written in the 1930's that goes into this a bit. There are some points in which the Celtic languages resemble the Egyptian, Berber & Semitic languages, the order of words for instance is verb, subject, object, whereas in all the other Indo-European languages it's subject, verb, object, or subject object verb. There are other things too but I don't have the books to hand right now.

We was kangz, ayyye
f95d820c-a38c-4087-989a-741345008de1.jpg

This comment makes me chuckle… when I was little, for years I thought it was my grandfather on the US dime. My grandparents also had a framed photo of Pope St. John Paul II on their wall as well. In my child mind, the man depicted on the dime and in the photograph could only be one and the same— the only older stern man in my little world. Who else would be so important as to be on the wall and on the coins my grandparents gave me as small treats and tokens?? Franklin D. Roosevelt and Pope JPII were one and the same person, my Papà — and my Papa was on a coin!

I wondered how you would have reacted if you saw this bust instead of that coin.

Caesar.jpg

Something about the way it was done just made the people depicted look so noble.

christie2

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox
Amen! It's a chicken and egg situation. If women are supported and nurtured to surrender to dependency on the family/marriage/village, shown that it's a good way to go, more will do it. That responsibility falls to parents of daughters, and would-be husbands of daughters.
I was just thinking about what comes first, the chicken or the egg, and I think the answer is the chicken.(women)
Women must surrender to dependancy on the family/marriage/village BEFORE being shown that it's a good way to go.
Completely blind and childlike trusting faith that they will be supported and nurtured.
Incredibly frightening really. Particularly when women may not be used to seeing examples of masculine, capable men.

I am at a loss on how to do it without fear.

I was just thinking about what comes first, the chicken or the egg, and I think the answer is the chicken.(women)
Women must surrender to dependancy on the family/marriage/village BEFORE being shown that it's a good way to go.
Completely blind and childlike trusting faith that they will be supported and nurtured.
Incredibly frightening really. Particularly when women may not be used to seeing examples of masculine, capable men.

There is wisdom in ensuing that you end up in the shade of the right tree. On the other hand I think (1 Peter 3) has good advice on this.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Incredibly frightening really.

It takes a leap of faith, and some unlearning. But most importantly the right husband, or right prospective husband with Christian values.

On a personal level I had to learn the value of compromise along with letting go of prideful behaviour as a “self-sufficient” woman not “needing help from anyone nor asking.”

I came from a household where there was no biblical life, was raised Christian but husband and wife relationship was far from biblical. Education was praised by the family men who were educators and administrators.

Thirty years of conditioned behaviour to be self sufficient was very difficult to undo- let alone relay on someone else to provide and to support. But I prayed and listened to God and let my husband lead.

One will argue, “well look at the foundation you created with an education, savings, and retirement funds. You can submit because you have some security.” In all honesty I would have been just as secure if I stayed with family, worked to save until marriage. But that was not God’s plan.

God does not make mistakes His plans are perfect and different for everyone. And He gives us so many answers to our prayers, and blessings - especially when we put our faith and trust in Him.

Glory be to God, and appreciation for His Son Christ.