Should young women go to college? If not, what should they (realistically) do?

Should young women go to college?

• Yes

• No

• I don’t know

• Maybe, under certain conditions (explain)

• Other (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Arby

Pigeon
Woman
Atheist
My grandma went to a girls' college in Switzerland, basically a finishing school I think is the English term for it? That's where I'd like to go! She turned out to be a very well formed lady - although sadly thanks to today's culture two generations down the line not much of that is left in her descendants.

joy_grace

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
My grandma went to a girls' college in Switzerland, basically a finishing school I think is the English term for it? That's where I'd like to go! She turned out to be a very well formed lady - although sadly thanks to today's culture two generations down the line not much of that is left in her descendants.

Yes, finishing school! Now that's a good education for women that teaches feminine skills and good manners/etiquette. We should bring this back as a common education for women, instead of being an expensive school/course for the elite as it is now.

ChristFollower1111

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
I wish I had never gone, but I voted maybe because, despite all the insanity in our world today, I still believe that there are people that have a different path. If a woman is very talented at a particular field (and not just there to be a token female) and has a plan for what to do with her education, then why not? I think she should be aware of all of her options and if/when to plan for childbearing. There is a very small percentage of women who will not be interested in childbearing- I believe this was the case even in societies where our current feminist anti- child brainwashing didn’t exist. Point is, I still believe in accounting for individuals and uniqueness since we are not all the same, but the cultural narrative needs to change because realistically it isn’t for most of us. It probably isn’t for most men either, who are better off in trades or doing skilled labor .

kamoz

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Broadening the topic for a moment - people need to understand that for the vast majority of history, and still in most places around the world, women have worked.

The notion of women staying at home and only tending to the home and children is something that only the wealthy have enjoyed historically. Post WWII USA was a brief moment in history where a large prosperous middle class got to enjoy this. But people need to stop thinking that this is the norm. It is not.

Go to any second or third world country and women work not because of feminism but out of necessity.

If it were not for a parasitic elite pushing ideologies like feminism, first world countries should and would enjoy the luxury of women not having to work (at least for the middle class and above). But a lot of people on this forum need to understand that this is the reason why we can’t have nice things, not because it is natural.

For those men in first world countries right now during these volatile times…let me tell you that if you are unmarried and are still dreaming of that small town girl with no education, work history, or intent to work, you are misguided. Let’s say you marry this ideal girl and have a family. Now you lost your job either due to the vax (or you have to take the vax) or economic conditions, but an outright collapse has not occurred (which is honestly unlikely anyway) what are you going to do then? What will happen to the state of your marriage? Maybe you’ll figure it out, maybe your marriage will be ok. But you might not. However, had you married a woman that is able to bring in some dough many hardships could have been avoided. Redundancy for the sake of your family is necessary. Don’t be so prideful to think that you don’t need it.

It should also be noted that a woman’s faith and faithfulness are separate from her ability to work. Many men mistakenly think that they are tied together - a career woman equals a godless woman unfit for marriage. Not true, there are still women with good jobs who are strong in the faith, especially those in or from second world countries.

But back to this threads topic - women should set themselves up to support their family if need be. College is still somewhat viable, so short answer yes. Live at home, go to the local college and study something useful. However in a decade or two this may change.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Broadening the topic for a moment - people need to understand that for the vast majority of history, and still in most places around the world, women have worked.

The notion of women staying at home and only tending to the home and children is something that only the wealthy have enjoyed historically. Post WWII USA was a brief moment in history where a large prosperous middle class got to enjoy this. But people need to stop thinking that this is the norm. It is not.

Go to any second or third world country and women work not because of feminism but out of necessity.

If it were not for a parasitic elite pushing ideologies like feminism, first world countries should and would enjoy the luxury of women not having to work (at least for the middle class and above). But a lot of people on this forum need to understand that this is the reason why we can’t have nice things, not because it is natural.

Accurate post. I think this is why feminists romanticized working-class women, as well, because the vast majority came from upper or middle-class backgrounds where they were expected to marry "well" and not much else.

Blade Runner

Ostrich
Orthodox

For those men in first world countries right now during these volatile times…let me tell you that if you are unmarried and are still dreaming of that small town girl with no education, work history, or intent to work, you are misguided. Let’s say you marry this ideal girl and have a family. Now you lost your job either due to the vax (or you have to take the vax) or economic conditions, but an outright collapse has not occurred (which is honestly unlikely anyway) what are you going to do then? What will happen to the state of your marriage? Maybe you’ll figure it out, maybe your marriage will be ok. But you might not. However, had you married a woman that is able to bring in some dough many hardships could have been avoided. Redundancy for the sake of your family is necessary. Don’t be so prideful to think that you don’t need it.

It should also be noted that a woman’s faith and faithfulness are separate from her ability to work. Many men mistakenly think that they are tied together - a career woman equals a godless woman unfit for marriage. Not true, there are still women with good jobs who are strong in the faith, especially those in or from second world countries.

But back to this threads topic - women should set themselves up to support their family if need be. College is still somewhat viable, so short answer yes. Live at home, go to the local college and study something useful. However in a decade or two this may change.
What's missing here is the key concept of "necessity" that you refer to. That suggests a place, county, or region is in a condition in which women still need men. Everything in the west is complicated by the feminist and a careerist angle, you are correct, so the larger issue is the nature of survival and sanity of the current culture. It's not as if women are just going to stop working currently at this time, anyway, so this thread is fairly meaningless until a crash. They won't stop going to college until everyone stops going, as is the way generally with people and females in particular.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I can't imagine how women doing higher degree like Master and PhD.
I have a friend doing a master's right now. I wish I knew she was seriously considering it before she decided to commit. I would have told her not to do it. Her life dream has always been the same as mine: get married, have kids, and homeschool them. But now she is getting further and further from that dream. Not only that, but all of her grad school friends are secular and being a bad influence on her. I am extremely concerned about her because of the influences around her which are making her compromise her values. It is really sad to see because she still has that dream but it's slowly being poisoned by the people around her.

So no, women should not go to college and should absolutely not seek further degrees if they have already attained a bachelor's. Hard stop, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Orthodox

If the husband loses his job due to the mandate then wouldn't the woman have the same issue? I don't see how the wife having a job would help in that particular situation. Either the husband or wife could potentially go get a job or freelance a skill, but the woman having a career wouldn't necessarily help in this situation. For example, I'm a nurse by trade so if I needed to work I would have to do something different than my training anyway and the alternative "careers" wouldn't exactly pay the bills.

And if the state of your marriage depends on finances then you have bigger issues to worry about.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
If the husband loses his job due to the mandate then wouldn't the woman have the same issue?

Not necessarily. The corporate world is getting hit pretty hard right now but I haven't heard *anything* at my job about it, so there potentially could be a situation where one of us is working and the other isn't.

The service industry tends to be more flexible for women-- there are servers who only work 1-2 days a week and they pull in several hundred. I can go pretty much anywhere and get hired, while white-collar positions are a lot more competitive.

There was a girl at my work who recently started cooking Caribbean food out of her house (put order in, pick up next day) and she came in on Saturdays for consistency and tax purposes, but she was doing so well that she ended up quitting.

Everyone has a different situation; if you have a good support network (family and reliable friends) I think life is less stressful if* you hit hard times.

*edit: probably should be "when," everybody has hard times at some point

BLMeToo

Sparrow
Catholic
No. College and the modern workplace is a horribly corruptive force on women. Even for faithful, devout Christian woman, being surrounded by secularism, given enough time, she will be a 40-plus Wine:30 Cat Lady soon enough. Also, women are far more likely to go along with the crowd, and when the crowd is celebrating sin, well...

I'd say if she's entrepreneurial, she should start a business. If she isn't, try to stay with her parents and work whatever job she can, and spend her time developing domestic skills and enriching her mind, body and soul. Reading books, living a strong spiritual life, etc. I think it'd be cool if traditional women formed stronger communities, that would be a big help to reverse modern culture, or better prepare for its eventual collapse.

ChristFollower1111

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
I think most colleges are a completely toxic environment for everyone right now. The communist infiltration needs to be cleared out before they can be useful at all, in my opinion. My best friend (purple pilled- I've been trying to red pill her for years and she gets some of it) is studying psychology because she genuinely cares about people and wants to help them with mental disorders. Her heart is in the right place, and although I've tried to explain some of the problems with that field, she still feels she can help people through one-on-one counseling. She is talented and has helped people, so she's on to doing her doctorate for free. But, the problems with the university are starting to become evident even to her. She was forced to include she/her pronouns in her bio and email signature this year after trying to hold off on that the last couple of years. They are also pushing the booster, which she doesn't want, despite already getting the original vaccine. She feels that's enough, but is afraid she won't be able to finish her program if she doesn't comply with the stupid booster. Funnily enough, the program director, a very highly paid professor who is literally at the top of academia in his field, has admitted after a few drinks that he is a sociopath and got into this field to figure out how to manipulate people. Of course, it's people like that that climb all the way up the ladder and make the big bucks. It's rotten to the core and I don't know how she does it.

Arby

Pigeon
Woman
Atheist

If a woman is reasonably intelligent, she would probably be able to find some way of making money should it be necessary, even without college. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me. You might get a slight increase in money-making potential, but you also might get deeply indoctrinated. And given that pretty much every one and their dog can get a bachelor's degree these days, it might not even help your earning potential much.

Also, yes women work and always have worked But they wouldn't have worked in a corporate setting surrounded by strangers. Historically, they'd work directly for their family or tribe, leaving their children (if need be) with close relatives. Women and children being under so much outside influence is what's new, and most of the time that influence undermines the family bonds.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
The original idea of college being a complete education was for the old Wasp Patrician Class. But they studied Greek, Latin the classics etc. The modern idea retains the caricature of a complete education but now instead of Greek, Latin and the classics, they teach fake African History, Gender Studies, degenerate modern literature, etc. so total waste of time. Also the old Wasps didn’t need a career as they already had inherited wealth.

Yeah, basically (gentleman's C). I remember reading somewhere that college became more expensive over the 20th century to try to block the lower classes out, so I don't really doubt that's why college is so astronomically high now, or that it's basically useless.

Alashiya

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
I will give my opinion as I already got my BA and MA and continue to studying in a PhD programme. First, I will say what happens in my country, as i read almost every comment (You really going into a debt for college? Thats horrible!), and then my general honest opinion.
Well, I came from a country that before your 30s you should be married and have children, but also a university degree! Oxymoron right?
I studied in a public university and I met women that had relationships, were engaged (now are married), married, and others who had children (I can count more that 20 women who came to the postgraduate ceremony with their husbands and children, and 3 that were pregnant at the time).
99% of them managed to finished their degree, but the university (and the fact that they were close to their families, maximum 3 hours away) helped them. In addition the university offered 1-2 years break from the programme when they were pregnant (if they wanted) and after they gave birth, and also a daycare installed in the campus (that was also for the students and the professors who had children).
On the other hand, I also met girls that they wanted to "study"(aka live away from their parents) only for the party life. Also, I met excellent, successful and amazing women professors that they were single with no kids in their 50s and 60s. And I didnt want to end up like them.
In conclusion, I believe that if the girl/woman is really into studying and learning things and she is also good at it, then she should go to the university. Because her goal is to learn and not wasting money and time. In addition, she can have her degree and maybe get married, have children etc, if she studies near her parents' house or meet her future husband there. Now, about the wild college life and the bad influences, at some point of her life she will face the awful reality of the world. She needs to learn how to avoid and handle those situations.
On the other hand, if she just wants to experience the uni life, for the parties, boys, alcohol, or she is not smart enough (maybe I am a bit brutal but...) or the degree it's just her parents unfufilled dream, then no. She should stay at home and find something else to do. Get married and have children.

ps. I didnt meant to offend anyone :)
(thats how we do it in my culture)

triplechoc

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
I think women MUST received all levels of education and be allowed to work even if they choose to be housewives. Lets suppose a woman marries a man and he commits adultery: Thats a reason for divorce. How is she going to survive before she meets a valuable man if she doesn't have education, can't work and the state is not gonna provide her enough money to sustain herself? Aside from that, women should receive education simply because we are human beings and as such we want to learn/know about things

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I think women MUST received all levels of education and be allowed to work even if they choose to be housewives. Lets suppose a woman marries a man and he commits adultery: Thats a reason for divorce. How is she going to survive before she meets a valuable man if she doesn't have education, can't work and the state is not gonna provide her enough money to sustain herself? Aside from that, women should receive education simply because we are human beings and as such we want to learn/know about things
I washed dishes and worked in kitchens after divorcing my first husband.

No child support. No welfare. Kept a roof over our heads and food on the table AND kept them homeschooled. In a place where the disparity between cost of living and wages is about as bad as it gets.

Nobody needs a college education to support themselves and get by.

Besides that, you could spend thousands (or tens or hundreds of thousands) of dollars on a degree and years establishing a "backup" career prior to motherhood -- and very likely find that these "qualifications" are not recent or relevant enough to get you anything better than an entry-level job anyway.

It's not like I haven't known plenty of people who end up working in foodservice and menial labor in spite of being highly qualified for a career in their field.

It is foolish for a woman who wants to be a mother to count on a college education ever being of greater value than what it cost her to get it.

I believe women should seek education for the purpose of increasing their non-monetary value to their families and communities. Things like nursing and midwifery, for example, are valuable and necessary skills - and women who have the inclination to SERVE OTHERS in this way should absolutely learn how best to do so.

Education for women should not be about monetary return on investment. The expectation/requirement that women function to produce monetary profit as a matter of course and routine is systemic domestic abuse (physical and psychological) on a mass scale.

triplechoc

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
I washed dishes and worked in kitchens after divorcing my first husband.

No child support. No welfare. Kept a roof over our heads and food on the table AND kept them homeschooled. In a place where the disparity between cost of living and wages is about as bad as it gets.

Nobody needs a college education to support themselves and get by.

Besides that, you could spend thousands (or tens or hundreds of thousands) of dollars on a degree and years establishing a "backup" career prior to motherhood -- and very likely find that these "qualifications" are not recent or relevant enough to get you anything better than an entry-level job anyway.

It's not like I haven't known plenty of people who end up working in foodservice and menial labor in spite of being highly qualified for a career in their field.

It is foolish for a woman who wants to be a mother to count on a college education ever being of greater value than what it cost her to get it.

I believe women should seek education for the purpose of increasing their non-monetary value to their families and communities. Things like nursing and midwifery, for example, are valuable and necessary skills - and women who have the inclination to SERVE OTHERS in this way should absolutely learn how best to do so.

Education for women should not be about monetary return on investment. The expectation/requirement that women function to produce monetary profit as a matter of course and routine is systemic domestic abuse (physical and psychological) on a mass scale.
This sounds like a rather selfish view to me. I don't know where you're from, but where I live people can not fully sustain themselves washing dishes or working on kitches or anything that pays minimum wage. And even if they could, why should they if they could study and get better opportunities? Do you believe women are second class citizens who should not receive high education?

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
This sounds like a rather selfish view to me. I don't know where you're from, but where I live people can not fully sustain themselves washing dishes or working on kitches or anything that pays minimum wage. And even if they could, why should they if they could study and get better opportunities? Do you believe women are second class citizens who should not receive high education?
Lollerskates, m'dear. Lollerskates.

You say that where you are from, people cannot "FULLY" sustain themselves on minimum wage.

What does this mean?

Your next sentence gives it away: you are psychologically and emotionally averse to hardship and humility.

It most certainly is NOT a matter of "cannot."

As you go on to clarify, it IS a matter of "why shouldn't she?"

You appeal to tired, trite feminist/modernist tropes ("you must think women are second-class citizens") to argue for what amounts to embracing consumer dependency and comfortable living.

You are allowed to choose consumer dependence and comfortable living if you like - and to shoulder the financial burden thereof. I am not saying you should not be "allowed" to do this.

But it is not "selfish" for me to suggest that these things are not strictly necessary, or that it is foolish and naive to expect a woman's paid education to turn a monetary profit or be a sufficient safety net years down the road when every circumstance of her life and the workforce have shifted around.

I speak from many years of experience and observation: the notion of a higher education and career as a "backup plan" for women was never wise or sound. It was always a trap.

The "opportunity" that you speak of, for the vast majority of women, is the "opportunity" to be an unwitting slave.

triplechoc

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox
Lollerskates, m'dear. Lollerskates.

You say that where you are from, people cannot "FULLY" sustain themselves on minimum wage.

What does this mean?

Your next sentence gives it away: you are psychologically and emotionally averse to hardship and humility.

It most certainly is NOT a matter of "cannot."

As you go on to clarify, it IS a matter of "why shouldn't she?"

You appeal to tired, trite feminist/modernist tropes ("you must think women are second-class citizens") to argue for what amounts to embracing consumer dependency and comfortable living.

You are allowed to choose consumer dependence and comfortable living if you like - and to shoulder the financial burden thereof. I am not saying you should not be "allowed" to do this.

But it is not "selfish" for me to suggest that these things are not strictly necessary, or that it is foolish and naive to expect a woman's paid education to turn a monetary profit or be a sufficient safety net years down the road when every circumstance of her life and the workforce have shifted around.

I speak from many years of experience and observation: the notion of a higher education and career as a "backup plan" for women was never wise or sound. It was always a trap.

The "opportunity" that you speak of, for the vast majority of women, is the "opportunity" to be an unwitting slave.

I'll give an example: Poor people where I live are barely being able to eat meat nowadays. The prices are so high, especially that of meat, that these people are being forced to have vegetarian diets. They are lucky if they can get bones at the butcher shops. One thing is to go through hardships as an individual or as family, another thing is to sistematically force single/divorced women as a group into hardship, by denying this group any opportunity to improve their lives, while single men can live comfortably and wellfed. In this case, single women are essentially second class citizens

Last edited:

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
This sounds like a rather selfish view to me. I don't know where you're from, but where I live people can not fully sustain themselves washing dishes or working on kitches or anything that pays minimum wage. And even if they could, why should they if they could study and get better opportunities?

I think the point of the original comment is often that people are coming out of college with less skills than when they went in, but with debt. College does not guarantee better opportunities for anyone-- women who have degrees but get out of the workforce for a number of years come back to something they don't recognize at all, and have to start from scratch.

(Even my husband says he regrets his degree [journalism], and would probably have chosen something different if he had to do it again.)