Silver Squeeze?

presidentcarter

Ostrich
Gold Member
Is there any place that tracks the premium over spot of the various coins or of the ASE alone? I'd be interested in that.

I've noticed pretty large swings where at times the ASE cost is lower despite spot being higher and vise versa.

Hypno

Crow
Is there any place that tracks the premium over spot of the various coins or of the ASE alone? I'd be interested in that.

There is a small coin dealer Franklin Sanders who publishes a daily and weekly commentary. At the bottom of his commentary, you can see his bid and ask prices for different types of bullion, and he helpfully expresses the premium as a percentage because not everything is an even troy ounce.

I have never bought from him but his commentary is pretty good, and he is a Christian who hates the IRS.

If you want to now what premiums are over time, you just need to watch them over time.

What will happen is silver will eventually start moving. When it does, people get the fever, and buy indiscriminately. Local coin shops sell out and everyone raises their premiums because their volumes go down. Buy prices inch up, but slowly. Then the price drops, no one buys even though the metal is on sale. Premiums decline.

Its been a while since I bought anything, but coin dealers pay premiums to the manufactures, even Uncle. Losest premiums i've ever seen on ASEs or Canadian Maples has been low $2s in volume, usually $3-4. Silver rounds usually a buck over, maybe a buck fifty for something really nice. Larger sizes like 10 and 100 oz bars premiums are usually less than a buck.

Jünger

Pelican
There is a small coin dealer Franklin Sanders
I used to buy silver from him years ago. His site says he quit selling in 2019.

He is referring people here:

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
Physical or PSLV is the way to go.
Agree 100% . I feel alot stronger about the physical lately. There is a sense of relaxation in not watching the daily price.

A little breakdown from uneducated economist on how the COMEX changed their margin requirement today to push silver down. $30 is incredibly cheap. Thinking of buying more.

I am just thinking about how the price got shaken down due to the change in margin requirements,... it smashed down the price today. But imagine that the people IN the silver will now be using less leverage.

The paper market is continuing to push down the price of physical silver, with the price opening at $27. However, since they cut down margin speculation. Their next steps will be in making more SLV stocks or getting rid of reserves at a discount, both of which will cost JP Morgan and other investment firms big time.

Peacock
Gold Member
I don't think they have to buy silver to cover their position, only in short positions do you need to do this.

The other thing is that the silver supply is much, much bigger than the GME stocks, so I am not sure if the dynamics are the same here.

One of the most important points George makes is that the "Average Joe", guy who gets in on the action after it becomes a popular narrative for the layman, always loses, paving the cashing out for institutional investors who are ahead of the curve.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I don't think they have to buy silver to cover their position, only in short positions do you need to do this.

The other thing is that the silver supply is much, much bigger than the GME stocks, so I am not sure if the dynamics are the same here.

One of the most important points George makes is that the "Average Joe", guy who gets in on the action after it becomes a popular narrative for the layman, always loses, paving the cashing out for institutional investors who are ahead of the curve.

I'm going to give this a watch in a moment. I'd check out that article I posted about Sprott, it really lays out the case for physical.

Silver is a larger market, but prices were already bumping up against $30 before the redditors created the narrative. The redditors & GME bros are joining the Silver Bugs.

I bought physical silver and there's been a whole lot of people believing in it prior to the narrative bump from the GME crew. I am just hoping this finally pushes it over the top.

The silver market is alot bigger yes, but the prices right now are perfectly fine in my opinion. You wouldn't be buying into GME as it flies through the roof on the basis of taking some short sellers to town. People would be buying an ounce of silver at what is debatably a historically low price.

Yes if the layman buys silver, there will be sellers. But the layman will be fine with his sheckles of silver. Especially as we head into themes like "no cash", "digital currency".

zoom

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I have checked out both the American and Canadian mint websites.

They both seem like rip-offs. The prices are often twice or more the actual value of the silver content.

Read the article. It's about the U.S. Mint's coin production not their retail sales.

Pelern

Pigeon
Read the article. It's about the U.S. Mint's coin production not their retail sales.
I read something similar yesterday on zerohedge.

You mentioning US mint just made me check their prices and I had checked the Canadian prices last week.

I guess I'm just curious as to how third parties can sell so much cheaper than the actual mint does.

I read something similar yesterday on zerohedge.

You mentioning US mint just made me check their prices and I had checked the Canadian prices last week.

I guess I'm just curious as to how third parties can sell so much cheaper than the actual mint does.
They only sell bullion coins to bullion dealers. It's similar to buying a car in the distribution system.