Simple and fast yet glorious food

estraudi

Pelican
Gold Member
Sliced Tuscan loaf slices sprayed with EVOO, avocado spread and cheese sprinkled on top.
Broil @ 500* for 5 minutes.
Remove from oven and slice into cubes.
Serve with cubed ribeye bites. Ribeye is grilled at 500* for 4 minutes per side.
I serve this appetizer all the time(with toothpicks in the cubed bits) and it's always a hit.

Ah_Tibor

Robin
Woman
Ok this may seem crazy but I updated my grilled cheese and I’m in heaven in regards to food. Instead of the usual but still delicious stove top grilled cheese soaked in butter I lightly spread some garlic butter spread on ciabatta bread and put 3 different cheeses on and put in oven for 5 minutes then slapped on some tomatoes and mayo and I felt like I was in heaven foodland. It was the most amazing grilled cheese I ever made. Does anyone have super simple and super delicious food ideas? Took less than 5 minutes to put together.

Did you ever make a grilled cheese with mayo instead of butter? It's an old restaurant trick to make it golden and crispy.

Ok this may seem crazy but I updated my grilled cheese and I’m in heaven in regards to food. Instead of the usual but still delicious stove top grilled cheese soaked in butter I lightly spread some garlic butter spread on ciabatta bread and put 3 different cheeses on and put in oven for 5 minutes then slapped on some tomatoes and mayo and I felt like I was in heaven foodland. It was the most amazing grilled cheese I ever made. Does anyone have super simple and super delicious food ideas? Took less than 5 minutes to put together.
If you like grilled cheese you might like this. Make the grilled cheese how you like it but on top put one or two poached eggs. Then mix some melted butter, egg yolks, cayenne pepper, salt, garlic powder, lemon, and tomato paste together to make hollondaise tomato sauce. It's basically a combination of a grilled cheese and eggs benedict.

Ah_Tibor

Robin
Woman
I’ve made it with both but never without butter. Butter is kind of my crack. I need rehab to stop using butter. And salt.

I like softened butter on saltines lol. My first (over-the-table) job was in a deli and a lot of old people would ask for butter with their soup crackers and I was like "wtf that's weird" and then I tried it. It's great.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
Omelettes are quick, easy, and can be made as gourmet as you like or with whatever left-overs you have. This morning I made a two egg omelette with a handful of fresh roughly chopped spinach, about 3 tbsp of feta, a sprinkle of fresh parmesan, oregano, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Really good, healthy too.

Tip: When making omelettes, I like to over-beat/whip the eggs a bit so they’re extra frothy that way when they cook they plump up a bit and have a crisp on the outer layer but are fluffy on the inside.

Jen18

Pigeon
Woman
Cut up some corn/flour tortillas in half. Place ~4 half tortillas on the bottom of a 9x13 sprayed pan.

Whisk together enchilada sauce and salsa verde (or whatever else you have in the pantry.)

Mix together chicken (from a can, leftovers, etc.) with 1 tsp of onion powder, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of chili powder, and again, whatever else you like from the pantry.

Place about 1/3 of the chicken on top of the tortillas, then 1/4 of the enchilada/salsa sauce and then shredded cheese. Tortillas, chicken, salsa/enchilada sauce, cheese. Keep completing the layers, depending on how many tortillas you have, with the final topping being the rest of the enchilada sauce/salsa.

Bake COVERED at 350 for 40 minutes. Uncover, bake for 15 more minutes. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to actually settle. Chop cilantro/toppings. And voila!

Can also make ahead, tortillas will be softer.

Fry a jumbo egg in a lot of butter, but not too long so the yolk is still runny. When its ready put it on top of a piece of buttered toast made from good bread. Pour the extra melted butter from the pan over the egg on the toast. Sprinkle with some salt and plenty of red pepper flakes.

Here's an old Italian recipe. Take a small fresh trout, clean the outside and gut it but leave the head and tail on. Season the cavity with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Take a lemon slice, cut it in half, and stick the pieces in the cavity. Wrap the trout in prosciutto. In a pan saute the trout in some olive oil on each side until done, 4-7 minutes each side, more or less depending on the size of the trout. After the trout is done put it on a plate and pour some dry vermouth in the pan to clean the bits off the pan, then pour that over the trout.

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
This made me think of this thread!

Ice cream sandwich cake. I saw the idea on the internet once upon a time, and decided to try it out when I wanted to make an ice cream cake on short notice. This one has fudge (ganache with a little corn syrup added) and cookie crumble (processed oreos and butter baked into bits) in between the ice cream sandwich layers and on top for decoration, but you can just stack the sandwiches together plain, too. Then it's frosted with whipped cream stabilized by sweetening with powdered sugar; the tiny bit of corn starch in the powdered sugar prevents the cream from deflating in the freezer.

It was a pretty big hit.

IMG_1663.jpg

TexasJenn

Sparrow
Woman
This is super simple and healthy: My favorite snack lately is a small bowl of frozen blueberries heated until soft. I read that freezing blueberries preserves more of their nutrients - and you get this delicious juice in the bowl when you thaw them out. I've used those blueberries on top of pancakes and needed hardly any maple syrup because that blueberry juice is so darn delicious.

Fair warning: this blueberry juice can stain your fingers and teeth a bit, but it's worth it!