Single women in their 30s/40s are starting to realize they will die alone

!!!???!!!

Sparrow

Plus I would prefer that my daughter be educated in the USA. Why not bring her to the USA where woman is queen instead of raising her here in Colombia where man is King.
Presumably so she doesn't turn into the type of woman you flew all the way to Colombia to avoid marrying. It's safe to say you consider yourself a good man, who will be a good husband and father and your wife is attractive and will be an excellent wife and mother....so why not raise your daughter in a culture that will make a woman like your wife, so she can find a man like you? Why bring her to a nation that creates such trash people and terrible woman that you literally flew to another continent to find a wife? Why subject your daughter to that?

That's a genuine question btw. I cannot follow your line of reasoning.

WEDO

Woodpecker
There are fewer economic opportunities for both men and women in Colombia ... But men are definitely on top here...and it is a zero sum game as far as I can see...in that the opportunities afforded men here are directly proportional to the lack of opportunities for women.

If I had had a son I would wait longer to bring him to the USA....just so he never learned to identify with the average imasculated male in the US. But I still would have brought him here for educational and economic reasons.

I think I can teach my daughter to stay away from dead beat dad's just like I would have taught my son to stay clear of welfare mom's.

My daughter will understand that marriage is for procreation and that she will need a husband to make her life complete.

!!!???!!!

Sparrow
My daughter will understand that marriage is for procreation and that she will need a husband to make her life complete.
But how though? How will you fight against every magazine, tv show, movie, celebrity/entertainer and the entire education system? What will keep your child from rebelling when every authority figure other than you tells her the opposite, and she watches her friends live a live that looks like incredible amounts of fun (until it leads to disaster)

I'm genuinely not trying to be insulting. I just don't see how you will succeed. Do you feel your wife is underserved or under appreciated? Has she been stunted or limited by Colombian society?Like I said, she ended up with you, which is presumably a good thing. Why not raise your daughter to be like her mother, and keep her in the same environment that helped mould her mother?

I have a sneaking suspicion that men with daughters are one of the reasons gynocracy is such an issue in the west. That's not an a dig at you, my world would probably change along with my perceptions if I had a daughter.

ginsu

Sparrow
If you don't have any other choice financially then I get it. Is your quality of life going to improve significantly by moving the US ?.
If you have the option to choose is it worth it risking your wife and daughter becoming one of these 30s/40s single women that this thread is about. just because you think a 35 yr old with a child is not a catch doesn't mean every other younger white man isn't going to hunt her as soon as she gets out there in the US.

In Colombia you have infinitely more status then you will have in the USA and you're setting yourself up for a lot more work to keep the relationship under control. You know how your relationship works in Colombia but moving it to the USA is an unknown.

Another option is to send your kids to be educated ( learn an income skill ) for a few years to the USA or anywhere else you want. That way they get those credentials from a known school but you don't have to expose your family to western culture their entire childhood/teenage years.

Economic opportunity is not just limited to location anymore, remote work will continue to be adopted and there is plenty of good online education that can replace a typical American university. Much more so 15years from now when she is old enough to learn a profession. To learn English you also don't have to send her to the USA where education goes hand in hand with feminist brainwashing. There are successful expats in Colombia as well that might have opportunities for her to be taken under their wing in whatever online business they run if you make the right connections.
You could even set up your own businesses for them to later inherit and take over.

The west is dying why go back to participate in a failed system of education if you can instead prepare her for the future way of working and learning (digital/remote) and freelancing. If you stay in Colombia she can take advantage of the lower cost of living as well. The west is past its best days in regards to economic opportunities and quality of life, while the rest of the world is developing fast and catching up by the time she's 20 the world will look very different.

Last edited:

scotian

Crow
Gold Member
How many of you guys who are criticizing WEDO's decision to leave Colombia with his family have spent any time down there? It's not like he's leaving say Taiwan or Japan, this is Colombia we're talking about here, if you think that US society is messed up then you probably haven't spent a significant amount of time in Latin America.

How many of you guys who are criticizing WEDO's decision to leave Colombia with his family have spent any time down there? It's not like he's leaving say Taiwan or Japan, this is Colombia we're talking about here, if you think that US society is messed up then you probably haven't spent a significant amount of time in Latin America.
Right. Aside from that Colombian society is changing at lightning speed, and not for the better.

Some here might have a romanticised image. They think that Colombia still only means old rancheros drinking guaro and singing vallenato. Whilst the young folk dance reggueton, do some small time narco stuff, put lot of status into appearance, have a clear sense of masculinity/feminity and have at least a nominal religious background

That Colombia still exist, but it's being overtaken FAST by imported degenerative ideologies from, you guessed it right, the USA

Colombia has one of the most 'progressive' Constitutions in the world. Gay marriage, therefore, was easily legalised. Up until a few years, when I was there, it wasn't much of an issue though. A gay was still a marika and the acceptance of homosexuality was rather low.

Now you have massive LGBT demos, and I see many videos on FB of superfeminine gays in public acting like some sort of high key celebrity. No public reaction anymore. Same with trannies. Fun fact: in the comment sections it's usually the guys being against this sort of degeneracy and the (higher educated) women in full support. Shocker!

Last year an old school Paisa took down a massive rainbow flag from Pueblito Paisa, cut it up, and threw it in the trashcan.

One day later he was arrested. Imagine that, you can shoot up three narcos in broad daylight and the police won't care. Remove a gay flag and they'll come after you.

Same with the feminist man hating stuff. You got the same demos, this time manned by short haired overweighted and angry looking feminists. Usually shouting against the patriarchy, God, pro-life and who knows what else. This feminist rage is spreading like wildfire amongst higher educated women. Guess where it comes from

One of their main yapping points is feminicidios, which stands for a woman killed by a man. Whenever a woman gets killed by a man the media jumps onto it and makes a huge fuss out of it. The fact that 90-95 percent of the homicide victims are male apparantly doesn't matter anymore

It's quite shocking how many of my female Colombian friends have started spouting this nonsense, especially the younger ones. They are now two grades more unpleasant, always with a chip on their shoulder

Don't want to sound too much of a doomer but the writing is on the wall. If this is how much a country can change in 5 years, imagine how things will be in 10 or 15 years.

Keep in mind that Colombian families have been largely disfunctional for decades, with one of the highest births-out-of-wedlocks rate in the world. You got massive violence and drug addiction issues, poverty and generally a quite unhealthy attitude towards drugs and sex (some of my female students got pregnant at age 13/14 and the boys got addicted and dropped out at roughly the same age)

Colombia is still great. It has a lot to offer in every facet and the people have an amazing attitude and mentality. But the times are changing

EDIT: One final note, even the race stuff gets imported from the States. Its very disappointing, really. First time I was in Colombia I never heard the word Afro-Colombian, despite living on the Caribbean Coast. Blacks in general were outgoing, upbeat, friendly, considerate and accommodating

And they still are, but you now also got the angry, nasty Blacks. Champeta has now become Afro-Champeta. The food from the Pacific coast has now become Afro food. The festival Petronio Álvarez has now become in celebration of the Afro culture.
When I was there it was just to for the people from the Pacific coast, regardless of ethnicity.

My ex girlfriend (as black as a coal miner) started growing her natural hair after she was introduced to Frantz Fanon at her University. Kept on yapping about a war on black people and their hair.

Asked her who was waging this war against her hair. 'The system'. Asked her who the system was. No answer and lots of angry looks.

My rant is over but it's just disappointing. I didn't think this would happen. That makes it extra disappointing

Last edited:

!!!???!!!

Sparrow
Asked her who was waging this war against her hair. 'The system'. Asked her who the system was. No answer and lots of angry looks.
This is such a common reaction to questions like that. You would think people would stop and think about why they can't answer, but no, anger is the only response.

ginsu

Sparrow
Wedo should do whatever he sees fit of course. It's not a critique but out of concern. It's fair that people point something out for the sake of discussion when he brings up things that attract attention.

If Wedo had given different reasons than economic opportunities and women being queens in the USA no one would have raised an eyebrow.
That reasoning is why there is a trend of 30's single women and why this thread was started in the first place.

You're right I haven't spent any time down in Latin America. But this discussion has been had countless times by people with extensive experience and the conclusion is always the same if you bring back your GF/wife that you found from a less developed country back to a western one it's playing with fire.

I don't see what Colombia being a mess has to do with it. It was his decision to go there and if it was a problem for him he would not have gone to live there to start a family and could have picked any number of other places to do so.

Why do guys go to places like Colombia and succeed in finding love, but then take their ''profits'' home and break the cycle for others to find love in the same way they did. If it was good enough for his wife why not for his daughter. Generational hypergamy is a real thing, wanting your children to trade up out of good intentions. But at the same time exposing them to other risks you didn't have because those risks are in your blind spot.

I mainly dated Latinas that are in the southern European countries and had 2 serious Latina girlfriends. The ones that spent a significant amount before their 20's in Latin America and only later moved to Europe where fantastic. While the ones who were born or grew up here from a young age were just like the western girls and often worse. It could be that girls from other continents/races when placed in a different culture during their formative years rebel more.

I also had a serious Eastern European girlfriend that came from a strong family with a successful entrepreneurial father, he only had 2 daughters. He pushed his daughters to become educated in the west and to maximize economic opportunity and strive for success. They didn't want their daughters to experience the same hardships they did in order to achieve a good life. While completely understandable it is also misguided.
She would have made a great mother but wasn't willing to let go of her career path to follow mine. And as far as I know, she's going into her 30's still focussing on the career.

It seems you can't have it both ways. Either you have a less developed society and better women or you have more economic opportunity which sends them down the wrong path in life while their biological clock runs out.

The problem is that by treating your daughters as if they were sons and planning their life in terms of economic opportunities and education or success you make it harder for them to establish families. You're contributing to the problem, which results in these single 30s/40s women. Education and economic success for a girl are in direct conflict with family creation.

As hard as it may be for a father to steer their daughters away from better economic opportunities and towards more humble ones it seems that it is needed if you want them to have the best chance for an early and stable marriage with children.

Last edited:
As this is getting off topic, this will be my last post regarding this subject in this thread. I will create a new thread on this subject.

What is eyebrow raising about this theory and his book is all this was published in 2003. Imagine someone telling you we will have total war with China around 2025 in 2003. You would look at them like they were crazy. Today, in 2020, it doesn't seem so far fetched anymore....
There are many dimensions where this is playing out and each one of them independently would lead to a war. For instance, China's large population, social unrest thus driving them to conflict, its as old as the sands. Moreover, her disproportionately large male population. And then you have the emergence of China as an economic power. Apparently its still #2 and who knows where that goes after this Covid crisis but by sheer mass alone, consumption x population, China seems destined to exceed the US and probably the West. Then there is the all the maneuvers to dethrone the USD from global reserve currency status. Much work has been done here. Does anyone actually think the US will just sit by and not do try to conserve its reserve currency status? This status is heart of our hegemony.

Frankly losing it would bad bad, but, I do think its going to happen. One thing that will be good is that we'll have to become, at least from a government standpoint, a lot more frugal, so, in a post US dollar world, I don't think we'll be financing feminism and other social engineering programs.

Less reported and emphasized is that fact that we do live in a multi-polar world. Namely caused by China and Russia.

Then there is the new Silk Road initiative. Post Covid-19 world notwithstanding, if they ever complete this it will be a big deal and it will relegate the US as a region power controlling the Western Hemisphere, or maybe just North America. The road will dissect the largest land mass on the Earth. It will be a marvel of engineering. It will likely result in Chinese hegemony. I think about how it will also enrich all of the sh$t countries that the US has been trying to "demoncratized" over the last 20 years. The Chinese will succeed because they won't force their values onto the local population. And the benefits will be material to these people, I liken it to the multiplier effect caused by the interstate highway system created in the US.

CynicalContrarian

Peacock
Gold Member
Perhaps someone should point this chick to this thread.
Or let her make her own mistakes...
Heh.

Unpopular Opinion: Guys Who Split The Bill On Dates Are Douchebags
If you make me split the bill on a date with you, don’t expect me to go out with you again.

It’s a topic that everyone has a different view on, but as far as I’m concerned, if a man insists we split the bill on a date, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Splitting the bill on dates sets the precedent for a relationship, one where everything is straight down the middle. And where does that end? Does that mean we should keep monthly spreadsheets and document when we give sexual favors and how much we give emotionally to ensure we’re even every month?
I’d never given the idea of going Dutch much thought until I started dating a guy who made a big statement with his wallet as to what sort of person he was.
We had an amazing first date, but things went downhill quickly after the bill arrived at the table and I got the expectant look. Every date or outing after that saw him make it glaringly obvious that he expected me to pay my way in our relationship, despite the large pay gap due to his generous salary.
This date later became the heated topic of conversation among my friends and I as to whether it’s possible to still call yourself a feminist, while accepting a paid meal from someone. After all, if we want equal rights, we should be prepared to split the bill equally, right?
Sorry, I disagree.
We need to ask ourselves what our values are and what we’re really looking for in a potential partner. You might be fine to split the bill, but I see it as an indication for (worse) things to come. If he’s stingy with his wallet, it’s guaranteed he will be with other things, too.
Some say I’m old-fashioned, but I believe we all need to have standards, and one of mine is I won’t date a stingy man who wants to split the bill, because I value generosity.

We need to ask ourselves what our values are and what we’re really looking for in a potential partner. You might be fine to split the bill, but I see it as an indication for (worse) things to come. If he’s stingy with his wallet, it’s guaranteed he will be with other things, too.
Some say I’m old-fashioned, but I believe we all need to have standards, and one of mine is I won’t date a stingy man who wants to split the bill, because I value generosity.
This of course is totally schizophrenic. You're old-fashioned ... with things that suit you. You value ... other people's generosity.

WEDO

Woodpecker
But how though? How will you fight against every magazine, tv show, movie, celebrity/entertainer and the entire education system? What will keep your child from rebelling when every authority figure other than you tells her the opposite, and she watches her friends live a live that looks like incredible amounts of fun (until it leads to disaster)

I'm genuinely not trying to be insulting. I just don't see how you will succeed. Do you feel your wife is underserved or under appreciated? Has she been stunted or limited by Colombian society?Like I said, she ended up with you, which is presumably a good thing. Why not raise your daughter to be like her mother, and keep her in the same environment that helped mould her mother?

I have a sneaking suspicion that men with daughters are one of the reasons gynocracy is such an issue in the west. That's not an a dig at you, my world would probably change along with my perceptions if I had a daughter.
Most women are limited in Colombian society. Of course there are well off women that do just what they want here....but most women here don't have near as many options to get ahead in life as they do in the US.....But then again neither do the men. The men in Colombia are only better off relative to the women here.

Most women here truly believe that they love their husbands and boyfriends and if you date here you will soon realize that women in general are much more interested in men.... than women are in the USA. But the truth is that Colombian women need a man much more than American women do. Oh, the Colombian women will tell you that is a lie. But, unless you believe women in Colombia are some how genetically predisposed to wanting men more that the average American women then just how do you explain their behavior. Trust me good father figures aren't the reason.

Now, I don't know what will happen in the future....but my daughter will obviously be influenced by both Colombian and American cultures.
And nobody will be more disappointed than me....if my daughter wakes up one day a 40 year old childless spinster. But if she gets knocked up by some loser Colombian that would be just about as bad.

My only two worries are that my daughter would some how get into the US drug culture or get hooked up with a Colombian guy. There are some good Colombian guys here.....but most are just not what a father would want to see their daughter with. If I had to sum up the attitude of Colombian men in general when it comes to women ....it is that they believe women were put on this planet to please them. I guess I might be a bit of a hypocrite because I fully embraced that attitude for many years here when I was single. But I think my daughter would have a better shot with a guy from the USA.

WEDO

Woodpecker
Wedo should do whatever he sees fit of course. It's not a critique but out of concern. It's fair that people point something out for the sake of discussion when he brings up things that attract attention.

If Wedo had given different reasons than economic opportunities and women being queens in the USA no one would have raised an eyebrow.
That reasoning is why there is a trend of 30's single women and why this thread was started in the first place.

You're right I haven't spent any time down in Latin America. But this discussion has been had countless times by people with extensive experience and the conclusion is always the same if you bring back your GF/wife that you found from a less developed country back to a western one it's playing with fire.

I don't see what Colombia being a mess has to do with it. It was his decision to go there and if it was a problem for him he would not have gone to live there to start a family and could have picked any number of other places to do so.

Why do guys go to places like Colombia and succeed in finding love, but then take their ''profits'' home and break the cycle for others to find love in the same way they did. If it was good enough for his wife why not for his daughter. Generational hypergamy is a real thing, wanting your children to trade up out of good intentions. But at the same time exposing them to other risks you didn't have because those risks are in your blind spot.

I mainly dated Latinas that are in the southern European countries and had 2 serious Latina girlfriends. The ones that spent a significant amount before their 20's in Latin America and only later moved to Europe where fantastic. While the ones who were born or grew up here from a young age were just like the western girls and often worse. It could be that girls from other continents/races when placed in a different culture during their formative years rebel more.

I also had a serious Eastern European girlfriend that came from a strong family with a successful entrepreneurial father, he only had 2 daughters. He pushed his daughters to become educated in the west and to maximize economic opportunity and strive for success. They didn't want their daughters to experience the same hardships they did in order to achieve a good life. While completely understandable it is also misguided.
She would have made a great mother but wasn't willing to let go of her career path to follow mine. And as far as I know, she's going into her 30's still focussing on the career.

It seems you can't have it both ways. Either you have a less developed society and better women or you have more economic opportunity which sends them down the wrong path in life while their biological clock runs out.

The problem is that by treating your daughters as if they were sons and planning their life in terms of economic opportunities and education or success you make it harder for them to establish families. You're contributing to the problem, which results in these single 30s/40s women. Education and economic success for a girl are in direct conflict with family creation.

As hard as it may be for a father to steer their daughters away from better economic opportunities and towards more humble ones it seems that it is needed if you want them to have the best chance for an early and stable marriage with children.
I personally enjoy living in Colombia....if I didn't have a daughter I would probably never move back to the USA.

My daughter is going to see the joys of having children and a family....and also the economic and educational advantages of the USA. How she ultimately lives her life will be up to her....I'm not going to just keep her in Colombia and limit her choices. But I do hope she wants a family sooner rather than later. She will be able to see both sides of the coin ....up close and personal. There is no way I will be able to keep her out of Colombia either. If she really doesn't like living in the USA then she can live in Colombia....I just want her to have a choice.

I'm not really worried about my wife as much as what I feel is good for my daughter.....the wife is on the same page....our daughter comes first.

WEDO excellent points and I agree on all fronts. More so your strong desire to give your Daughter the best options in life and I agree that in your situation that option is in the USA. More so her access to a better education/options in life. I am one who has lived and worked in Colombia a long time as well, you learn a lot more than the average guy who is here for short term stints. You also meet a variety of Colombians from all tiers of society. The one silver-lining or best option to living and staying longterm in Colombia with a wife and kids IMO comes down to two factors the biggest one you eluded to is $....without good money your living a basic lifestyle....fine if your single...with a family no thanks.

Secondly; (related to money) is getting your children access to the best education available in Colombia. IMO that is gonna be the top private international schools here in Colombia. Mainly, so your child learns and receives a top western education (Bi-lingual) with access and options to the best University's in the world upon graduation. More importantly her "bubble and social-networking" is super important....she will be raised with the top elite Colombian's and her chances of entering into the top circles of Colombian society are much more vast. These schools are not cheap......(USA you can still find good public schools).....and you rarely see foreigners at these schools unless they are here on USA embassy/DEA/DEPT of Defense contracts, majority of these students come from UBER wealthy Colombian families and the yearly tuition fee's are on par with Univ cost's in the USA....this factor alone pushes most foreign/colombian families out of Colombia.

I have been working and paying into a private retirement fund for years...being abroad and out of the USA a long time I do not pay into the Social Security system anymore.....can you elaborate more on the Social Security benefits for your wife and kid? I was under the belief those payments would payout once you were deceased and IF your wife and child had USA citizenship as well? Again I am unclear on all this so any light you can shed on this would be valuable info as I am halfway to earning basic SS benefits (from years ago working in USA).....but that would involve me working abroad for a company that pays into SS benefits or returning to the USA to reach the min benefits.....(I imagine the goal-posts will keep being moved on SS)

Again nice to hear views from an older expat and a veteran of Colombia.....someone who has walked the walk and lived longterm in Colombian Society.... It's rare to see a lot of foreigners make a life and family work here longterm.

Max Roscoe

Sparrow
I'm questioning these supposed great opportunities one's daughter would gain in the USA. The right to have an abortion? To experiment early and often with sex? The opportunity to learn about gender theory? The chance to eat a bad diet and become fat? To grow up with no access to health care? To be a social media influencer? A great atheist thinker? To eat GMO foods and develop a chronic disease? To succumb to victim culture? To understand that rape is not a violent sexual attack against an unwilling female, but instead uttering triggering words or manspreading?

Yes, one can raise a family in a traditional household in America. But it is *extremely* difficult. I still have not decided if I would prefer to raise a family at home or abroad, as I live in the US now. But I do know that if I was already living in another country, liked it there, and had a nice quality of life, a home, job, friends, etc. there is NO WAY I would give that up to return to America, particularly, for the supposed reason that it would somehow benefit my offspring, and not me, as the OP has stated he is happy and would prefer to stay in Columbia, but that somehow the USA Is going to help his daughter.

Can you enumerate the ways your daughter would be helped by the USA? I really don't get it. You want her to focus on her career? You want her to learn English without an accent? I'm really struggling to understand a single thing a child would gain by being raised in the USA other than access to USA relatives/grandparents and the benefit of holding a US passport for travel purposes, which I would be very wary of gifting to my daughter.

There's a very tiny argument to be made for raising a son in the US.... but a daughter? Sorry I just don't see it. Post some specifics so we can discuss them.

PixelFree

Woodpecker
Most women are limited in Colombian society. Of course there are well off women that do just what they want here....but most women here don't have near as many options to get ahead in life as they do in the US.....But then again neither do the men. The men in Colombia are only better off relative to the women here.

Most women here truly believe that they love their husbands and boyfriends and if you date here you will soon realize that women in general are much more interested in men.... than women are in the USA. But the truth is that Colombian women need a man much more than American women do. Oh, the Colombian women will tell you that is a lie. But, unless you believe women in Colombia are some how genetically predisposed to wanting men more that the average American women then just how do you explain their behavior. Trust me good father figures aren't the reason.

Now, I don't know what will happen in the future....but my daughter will obviously be influenced by both Colombian and American cultures.
And nobody will be more disappointed than me....if my daughter wakes up one day a 40 year old childless spinster. But if she gets knocked up by some loser Colombian that would be just about as bad.

My only two worries are that my daughter would some how get into the US drug culture or get hooked up with a Colombian guy. There are some good Colombian guys here.....but most are just not what a father would want to see their daughter with. If I had to sum up the attitude of Colombian men in general when it comes to women ....it is that they believe women were put on this planet to please them. I guess I might be a bit of a hypocrite because I fully embraced that attitude for many years here when I was single. But I think my daughter would have a better shot with a guy from the USA.
Thank you WEDO for sharing your experiences here. I've got a few theories on this type of thing, although actually speaking to someone going through it in real life.

Have you costed or considered local Colombian private / international schools? I mean those fancy ones where you'd get a USA standard of education (or better), more of an international mindset/culture, probably taught in English and your daughter would network with the children of local politicians and CEOs.

It won't be cheap but surely cheaper than a semi-private in a Western country and overall still cheaper to keep you in Columbia. Schools like these.

That was one of my options for these types of countries (EE for me).

I'm questioning these supposed great opportunities one's daughter would gain in the USA. The right to have an abortion? To experiment early and often with sex? The opportunity to learn about gender theory? The chance to eat a bad diet and become fat? To grow up with no access to health care? To be a social media influencer? A great atheist thinker? To eat GMO foods and develop a chronic disease? To succumb to victim culture? To understand that rape is not a violent sexual attack against an unwilling female, but instead uttering triggering words or manspreading?
I trust your assessment on the USA, but you are pretty far off if you think Colombia is the opposite of everything you wrote above

In chronological order:

* 7 month old baby gets killed in the womb by the mother + state (Colombian equivalent of the satanic Planned Parenthood, ProFamilia) . They later came up with some bs cover up story about the mother suffering from psychological issues

Father did everything in his power to give his son a chance to live. It didn't help

* Oeff. Have you ever been to Colombia? Colombian women, barring a handful of evangelical Christians, are on par with US women in terms of sluttiness

Sex permeates Colombian society on every level. Both men and women have very few morals when it comes to cheating, seducing, lying. Rape and harassment, and with that I mean the real rape and the real harassment, are definitely a thing.

On top of that there is a culture of older men preying on barely legal girls, often trying to get into their pants by using the innocence- money/status angle.

Not a nice thought when you have a young daughter walking around

* Gender theory is relatively new in Colombia, but it's gaining influence fast. Most lower class girls are simply not interested in that sort of thinking but it's different for the upper class

Aside from that Colombian universities have been hotbeds for classical Marxist thinking for decades. The intellectual cadre of ELN and FARC are recruits from these universities.

An anecdote: some of the professors of La Universidad Javeriana in Cali smoked weed on college campus, looked like a lost leftist French poet, were handing out Marxist pamphlets and talked with great admiration about Lenin and Mao

* Have you ever tried empanadas, arepa con queso, bandeja paisa or papa rellena?

Traditional Colombian food is starchy, sugary, deep fried and heavy on carbs. No wonder Colombians balloon as soon as they start doing office work.

Some of them don't even care, especially guys that are a bit older. For some being fat is still a sign of affluence

Good thing is that the gym culture and the emphasis on the superficial keeps a large portion of the younger women in shape. Even so 'curvy women' are popular in Colombia, and sometimes being bigger just means being fat and having insane glutes/quadriceps

* Public health care is a joke in Colombia, those aren't hospitals, they are death houses

Private health care is remarkebly good and affordable, for the middle class at least.

So I'll give you that one

* Do you really think social media influencers don't exist in Colombia? Again, that part of the culture is as toxic as it is anywhere else. It's a development on the macro-level

Download Instagram and start checking out profiles in Cali, Medellín or Cartagena. It'll make you blush.

* I'll give you that one. Atheism is not really a thing and even the people that don't really follow any Church usually say something along the lines of 'solo creo en Dios'

* Chronic diseases are incredibly common in Colombia. The younger generation has fallen hard for the gym culture, which can be bad but in this case is a good thing.

Every male above 30-35 walks around with a beer gut and an aversion to exercising - except dancing. The women, especially the lower class women, look like walking potatoes. The diet is the traditional cuisine described above. Snacks are salchipapas, pony malta and patacon with as much mayonnaise as possible.

Alcohol intake is pretty high too.

Another anecdote: many years ago I crossed paths with a female compatriot that designed prosthesis. I told her work was necessary here because of the many amputees limping around, and I mentioned the war. She said that there were actually very few of those. Basically all of them were often very young diabetes patients.

Same with kidney failure.. Nearly every family seems to have a member with kidney failure.

* About the last two things. You are right about those two. 'rapeculture' isn't a thing in Colombia. Though the real rape culture kinda is..

Last edited: