Skirts only

Kitty Tantrum

Woodpecker
Woman
I pretty much only wear dresses. Nothing against skirts in theory, but I have to wear them really low on my hips for it to be comfortable (I have a thing about waistbands anywhere near my belly button) and most nicer tops aren't long enough or ride up. OR I can tolerate a very high-waisted, flared retro style skirt pretty well, but then I basically HAVE to wear a blouse that tucks in, and that's a whole 'nother set of sensory/tactile issues. So dresses for me!

I stopped wearing any kind of pants/shorts entirely (except for certain types of exercise) about six years ago and haven't looked back. And I haven't been able to do any really strenuous exercise these days, so pretty much the only time I've worn pants in recent history has been to physical therapy appointments where the PT needs to be able to see how my hips and knees and such are aligned and moving.

Bloomers, pettipants, knee-length leggings, basic bike shorts, etc. are a good add-on option if you need the technical benefits of pants (modesty, anti-chafing, etc.) without having to actually wear pants. :)

Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
I don’t now, but I went through a stage a few years ago where I wore skirts almost exclusively for a couple of years if not longer (don’t remember). I prefer skirts/ tops rather than dresses. I still own and wear a lot of skirts. I cant remember the last time I bought a new one. I get them at thrift stores. I love dresses too but find them physically uncomfortable for reasons I’ve never been able to articulate.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I don’t usually but I wish I did more. The reason I don’t is mainly that I’m afraid I’ll ruin them and pants/leggings are cheaper than a dress/skirt that fits well (in my experience). After whelping and nursing four kids (yes, an excuse...) my body is just more difficult to find clothes for. I’m not overweight and am in my BMI but I’m more top heavy now with a naturally high waist/short torso so most dresses/skirts end up looking really frumpy on me.

It’s just so frustrating. I used to be able to find anything off the rack that fit and looked amazing. Now, I don’t really have the time, money, or vanity to really search out proper fitting dresses/skirts (or clothes in general). I wear a “misses” size but they don’t fit my “mom” body right and the “women’s” styles are really old ladyish and don’t fit right either lol... /cry

Since joining the forum, I’ve felt more compelled to head cover (I’ve felt this longing for many years) but I know I would feel hypocritical covering while still wearing pants. I feel like head covering and wearing dresses/skirts more regularly (eventually exclusively) are baby steps? As in “some is better than none” but with the end goal as “always”?

Last edited:

dragonfire00

Sparrow
Woman
I wear dresses, I find it easier to do that than to match skirts and tops. Dresses are more comfortable to me too. I wore skirts when I was younger but they were of the mini variety...I don't do that anymore lol.

muhtea

Robin
Woman
Not exactly related to skirts only, but I thought this was useful, especially the questions to ask yourself. (Not that you have to go this minimalist or anything, but for me, it doesn't take much for me to be overwhelmed and I just end up wearing the same 5 or 6 items all the time, so everything else is a bit superfluous.)

I'm forever trying to create a simple, versatile wardrobe and not quite succeeding and am currently doing another round of decluttering (spring cleaning!) and (slowly) acquiring what I hope will be some good quality pieces that I can adapt for year-round use within reason (we have very cold northern winters and it can get pretty hot in the summer as well).

Part of that is I want to wear more skirts and dresses and less el cheapo stuff as well as do as much as possible to eliminate man-made fibers. Not that it has to be extravagant, I do spend most of my time at home after all and don't go anywhere "posh" so have no need for fancy stuff, but just a bit more put together while also being simple and understated - and of course, modest.

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
Not exactly related to skirts only, but I thought this was useful, especially the questions to ask yourself. (Not that you have to go this minimalist or anything, but for me, it doesn't take much for me to be overwhelmed and I just end up wearing the same 5 or 6 items all the time, so everything else is a bit superfluous.)

I'm forever trying to create a simple, versatile wardrobe and not quite succeeding and am currently doing another round of decluttering (spring cleaning!) and (slowly) acquiring what I hope will be some good quality pieces that I can adapt for year-round use within reason (we have very cold northern winters and it can get pretty hot in the summer as well).

Part of that is I want to wear more skirts and dresses and less el cheapo stuff as well as do as much as possible to eliminate man-made fibers. Not that it has to be extravagant, I do spend most of my time at home after all and don't go anywhere "posh" so have no need for fancy stuff, but just a bit more put together while also being simple and understated - and of course, modest.
Thanks for sharing the video. We are moving and I have been faced with decluttering my wardrobe. I would love to have a simple, versatile wardrobe. I would also like to start wearing dresses more often. I find it difficult in the winter because stockings are too restrictive, and i find that the easiest way to stay warm in a dress or skirt.

muhtea

Robin
Woman
Thanks for sharing the video. We are moving and I have been faced with decluttering my wardrobe. I would love to have a simple, versatile wardrobe. I would also like to start wearing dresses more often. I find it difficult in the winter because stockings are too restrictive, and i find that the easiest way to stay warm in a dress or skirt.
For winter my plan (next year, getting a bit late now for this year) is to try wearing a warm skirt over either fleece leggings with long socks or long underwear with long socks over. I really don't like stockings at all and don't find even the thicker ones very warm.

I'm glad someone found the video useful!