Slack vs Alternatives

Maddox

Woodpecker
Protestant
I'm trying to figure out the best business messaging software for my needs here. One thing that bothers me about Slack is that it seems like you can't paste an image from the clipboard into a Slack message. Am I wrong?

What messaging app do you guys use...and how does it compare?

KingCorfu

Pigeon
Other Christian
I spent WEEKS going through all of them and come from a complex project background. After much heart break and expense we have reverted to cloud storage (google drive), a decent standardised file naming process and a discord server. Its fantastic. Slack, Monday.com etc all ended being WAAAAAAAY more faff then you actually need. it ended up looking like we needed a dedicated administrator to get any benefits.

Sargon2112

Robin
Protestant
We use Slack. In the Android Slack app, you can enable and disable the clipboard. Using the website from a pc, you can just use ctrl-v and paste into a message.

What bugs me about Slack, the website anyway, is that I can't use the enter key to start a new paragraph lol. Hitting enter posts the message.

MountainWestPipeSmoker

Chicken
Protestant
Look into Matrix, with Element as the mainstream client. The client is exceedingly heavy, being an Electron/Node abomination, but it's self hosted, supports a range of devices, supports bridges to other protocols if you care, and is self hosted. In a normal configuration, it's federated so that your homeserver can talk to other domains, but you can also run it in a standalone mode without federation, if you just want it for private communication on your domain from people with accounts.

The problem I have with Slack, Discord, and most of the other clients is that you're not hosting them yourself. Yes, it's easier, there are free tiers, reliability is someone else's problem, but the flip side is that your data is (in the case of Slack) held hostage to you paying someone else, and Discord seems awfully eager to ban anyone who leads to bad press for them. A self hosted Matrix instance has none of these problems.

Of course, you have to be able to host software to do that, but the tradeoffs, IMO, are well worth it.

Wreckingball

Pelican
Catholic
What bugs me about Slack, the website anyway, is that I can't use the enter key to start a new paragraph lol. Hitting enter posts the message.
Shift+Enter should work, no?

I like slack, main problem I had is that for specific teams/channels/threads (don't recall the name) it was not possible to have a file directory.
I use MS Teams. Also not perfect, but works better than Slack imo