Slavery in the Bible

Padouk

Kingfisher
As our liberties get taken away during this covid plandemic, what are the forum's views on these quotes on human ownership from the Bible?
-------------
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ” (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. (1 Peter 2:18)

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. “But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given.” (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.’ If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves. (1 Timothy 6:1-2)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

------------

Uponthisrock

Sparrow
Here's a few things I always try to tell people who bring up the slavery thing.
First I ask what the original crime in slavery is? Most people can't answer that, so I tell them it's kidnapping.
According to Exodus 21:16 Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death.
It's not a suggestion, it's not a should, could or may. It's a must. Must be put to death.

Every group has been slaves, no one gets to act special, join the club here's your sticker.

The Bible speaking on a subject is not an endorsement for said subject.

The required treatment of slaves is completely different from what our view of slave is.

Most "slavery" spoken of in the Bible is indentured servitude. An agreement entered into willfully.

Padouk

Kingfisher
The Bible speaking on a subject is not an endorsement for said subject.

The required treatment of slaves is completely different from what our view of slave is.

Well, it's pretty straightforward the way I read it:

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.

In the King James Bible you don't find the word slave. Slave is only written in the modern satanic Bibles to program people to accept their fate as slaves to the antichrist. The KJV uses servants. Which you are when you're an employee. And there's a difference, obviously. Or it speaks of indentured servitude under conditions. Not slavery as in yessa massa I be good nigga. Which the Marxist satanists want you to be

**And by the way. Next time some commie gets onto you about slavery in the usa, remind them that the very first court case in the USA that brought forth slavery was a black man vs a black man in Virginia. Anthony Johnson vs John Casor. Johnson was an indentured servant brought to VA. And after he was free became a wealthy tobacco farmer who challenged his own negros servitude thus establishing it in the USA. Casor was found guilty, and sentenced to slavery for life to Johnson.

Last edited:

Padouk

Kingfisher
In the King James Bible you don't find the word slave. Slave is only written in the modern satanic Bibles to program people to accept their fate as slaves to the antichrist. The KJV uses servants. Which you are when you're an employee. And there's a difference, obviously. Or it speaks of indentured servitude under conditions. Not slavery as in yessa massa I be good nigga. Which the Marxist satanists want you to be

Well, in some of the quotes the word "servant" is used but the relationship between servant and master sounds as if the master owns the servant.

For example:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
It seems clear from Scripture that the institution of slavery itself wasn't so much an issue for early Christians as was the way slaves and masters treated each other. I believe there are examples of early Saints who were against it as a whole, but St. Paul sent Onesimus back to his master - after the conversion of Onesimus - because legally, he was the other man's property and his becoming a Christian didn't change his legal status. If memory serves, St. Paul asked Onesimus to treat his master well and exhorted his master to treat Onesimus well. If the two people are treating each other with respect, then I don't really see how it's much different from just having an employee that happens to live on your property and can't go work for someone else instead (but presumably, they wouldn't want to anyway if they were being treated well to begin with). What obviously is a sin regarding slavery is the treatment of human beings like objects or lower animals.

By the fonts and different translations used I can tell this was a copy & paste from some website trying to talk bad about Christianity. Ask the people who shared this who ended world wide slavery. So what is the problem you have with these verses? You supposed to be a good worker and obey your employer you cant have an attitude for someone thats helping you to house clothe and feed yourself. If your crops failed or you come out of a war or you cant pay back your debt people used to go & sell themselves into slavery so they could survive or else they would starve. There were still laws for "slaves" work from sunrise to sunset, the weekends off, the boss cant be too hard on you etc, if you have sex with the slave girl you have to marry her and cover all her expenses & love her for the rest of your life etc

It seems clear from Scripture that the institution of slavery itself wasn't so much an issue for early Christians as was the way slaves and masters treated each other. I believe there are examples of early Saints who were against it as a whole, but St. Paul sent Onesimus back to his master - after the conversion of Onesimus - because legally, he was the other man's property and his becoming a Christian didn't change his legal status. If memory serves, St. Paul asked Onesimus to treat his master well and exhorted his master to treat Onesimus well. If the two people are treating each other with respect, then I don't really see how it's much different from just having an employee that happens to live on your property and can't go work for someone else instead (but presumably, they wouldn't want to anyway if they were being treated well to begin with). What obviously is a sin regarding slavery is the treatment of human beings like objects or lower animals.
In todays world the "slaves" own the "slave masters" they have unions, against them, they dont have respect for them & feel entitled to more money & force minimum wages on the boss, they sue the boss for all kinds of dumb things to get more money out of them, the world is upside down now

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Peter Helland on the topic. I listened to this 6 months or so and it made an impression, thought I would repost.

Part of being Christian is accepting slavery, because its often only a material thing if your slavemaster is a decent Christian, and doesn't push you into sin but is forthright, then you are better than a freeman with material things and filthy masters as we see more often than not today.

Also consider the fact its very often an alternative to being killed.

The times that God doesn't permit Israel to take such plunder is when said cultural contamination as a result of conquest would lead to Idolatry(Canaan).

Or that such a people is too dangerous to be left alive(Amalek) which when combined with food shortages caused by constant enemy raids and loss of most fertile land led to God's command to Saul to wipe them out without permission to take any captives(because of the dire economic situation including enough food to go around) not long after their first victories over the Philistines after the Army was forced to hide in caves.
saulcolor.jpg

In Wartime people are usually taken as plunder(Deuteronomy 20:12-15, 21:10-14). For Israel to be able to handle the Logistics of sending Armies far away. It would have to assume enough fertile land and economic strength to take plunder. Which would be more true later on under the reign of David/Solomon:
davidcolor.jpg

The dominion map of Saul compared with the entire land of Canaan:
dominion.jpg

Last edited:

Edek

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
By the fonts and different translations used I can tell this was a copy & paste from some website trying to talk bad about Christianity. Ask the people who shared this who ended world wide slavery. So what is the problem you have with these verses? You supposed to be a good worker and obey your employer you cant have an attitude for someone thats helping you to house clothe and feed yourself. If your crops failed or you come out of a war or you cant pay back your debt people used to go & sell themselves into slavery so they could survive or else they would starve. There were still laws for "slaves" work from sunrise to sunset, the weekends off, the boss cant be too hard on you etc, if you have sex with the slave girl you have to marry her and cover all her expenses & love her for the rest of your life etc
These days, we are taught to love the freedom to sin, not the peace of freedom from sin.

Under that modern banner, a free man on the street begging in order to pay for their vices is preferable to a bond servant who has meaningful work and who obeys his master's rules of good conduct.
The homeless drug user is free in their way, and the servant is free to live and work virtuously all day, perhaps freer in that sense than a freeman business owner who is facing economic hardship and spiralling into the booze.
And as for underclass free people who live half on low paid jobs, half on welfare, and half under the table (so it don't count), you can decide whether most of them would have objectively better lives as bond servants until the age of around at least 30, instead of doing what they do and ending up how a lot of them end up.

The times that God doesn't permit Israel to take such plunder is when said cultural contamination as a result of conquest would lead to Idolatry(Canaan).

Or that such a people is too dangerous to be left alive(Amalek) which when combined with food shortages caused by constant enemy raids and loss of most fertile land led to God's command to Saul to wipe them out without permission to take any captives not long after their first victories over the Philistines after the Army was forced to hide in caves.

In Wartime people are usually taken as plunder(Deuteronomy 20:12-15). For Israel to be able to handle the Logistics of sending Armies far away. It would have to assume enough fertile land and economic strength to take plunder
I remember Israel (I think under king Saul) was supposed to kill

Or that such a people is too dangerous to be left alive(Amalek) which when combined with food shortages caused by constant enemy raids and loss of most fertile land led to God's command to Saul to wipe them out without permission to take any captives(because of the dire economic situation including enough food to go around) not long after their first victories over the Philistines after the Army was forced to hide in caves.
saulcolor.jpg

In Wartime people are usually taken as plunder(Deuteronomy 20:12-15, 21:10-14). For Israel to be able to handle the Logistics of sending Armies far away. It would have to assume enough fertile land and economic strength to take plunder. Which would be more true later on under the reign of David/Solomon:
davidcolor.jpg

The dominion map of Saul compared with the entire land of Canaan:
dominion.jpg
God told Saul to wipe out Amalek but he didn't kept some of them alive, fast forward and there is a WW2 memorial at the Hague thats literally says:

REMEMBER WHAT Amalek DID YOU... ... DO NOT FORGET IT. DEUT : 25.17.19.

They say Adolf Hitler is from Amalek

I remember Israel (I think under king Saul) was supposed to kill

God told Saul to wipe out Amalek but he didn't kept some of them alive, fast forward and there is a WW2 memorial at the Hague thats literally says:

REMEMBER WHAT Amalek DID YOU... ... DO NOT FORGET IT. DEUT : 25.17.19.

They say Adolf Hitler is from Amalek

The problem is there is no good evidence that the raiders of the Middle East somehow settled in Europe. And birthed Hitler.

Likewise in the passage. Saul did kill every Amalekite aside from King Agag who was subsequently killed too by Samuel. The cattle was spared. So I don't see how there should have been a continuance.

The problem is there is no good evidence that the raiders of the Middle East somehow settled in Europe. And birthed Hitler.

Likewise in the passage. Saul did kill every Amalekite aside from King Agag who was subsequently killed too by Samuel. The cattle was spared. So I don't see how there should have been a continuance.
From what I remember there were some woman spared that some took as wives & I think some of their babies, there are some theories that Hitler is a descendant of Amalek not saying they all true or not but its interesting because it came back to bite the jews

Edek

Robin
Orthodox Catechumen
The problem is there is no good evidence that the raiders of the Middle East somehow settled in Europe. And birthed Hitler.....So I don't see how there should have been a continuance.
Amalek is a type, a sort of national spirit that can settle over a people and make them inexplicably against sea mites. Judah's people are promised an enemy (against whom they may rise and strike first) in every generation, according to how they see it.

Adam Green is not a Christian, but nor is he an atheist, so it's not cringe that way. This long video talks about how Western nations are Amalek.

And maybe Mr Bad Moustache was a self-fulfilling prophecy of Amalek

Last edited:
These days, we are taught to love the freedom to sin, not the peace of freedom from sin.

Under that modern banner, a free man on the street begging in order to pay for their vices is preferable to a bond servant who has meaningful work and who obeys his master's rules of good conduct.
The homeless drug user is free in their way, and the servant is free to live and work virtuously all day, perhaps freer in that sense than a freeman business owner who is facing economic hardship and spiralling into the booze.
And as for underclass free people who live half on low paid jobs, half on welfare, and half under the table (so it don't count), you can decide whether most of them would have objectively better lives as bond servants until the age of around at least 30, instead of doing what they do and ending up how a lot of them end up.
& A job is also seen as slavery in our modern times, look at the health & safety and labor laws hanging on the walls at companies & tell me if they are more just than how a slave and a slave master must relate to each other, I find the modern "slave owner" is under the thumb of the "slave" (employee). Also if the boss commits some sexual assault crime against a female employee besides a little fine or something the female worker is in no way taken care of the old bible laws were much "harsher" the boss would have to marry the girl & look after her financially for the rest of her life and still love her

Amalek is a type, a sort of national spirit that can settle over a people and make them inexplicably against sea mites. Judah's people are promised an enemy (against whom they may rise and strike first) in every generation, according to how they see it.

Adam Green is not a Christian, but nor is he an atheist, so it's not cringe that way. This long video talks about how Western nations are Amalek.

And maybe Mr Bad Moustache was a self-fulfilling prophecy of Amalek

That is the problem. The expansion of this definition beyond its original people group is a great way to justify the worst atrocities. When it is something that is only done strictly only by God's command when he was still a Theophany among the Israelites before the Incarnation.

From what I remember there were some woman spared that some took as wives & I think some of their babies, there are some theories that Hitler is a descendant of Amalek not saying they all true or not but its interesting because it came back to bite the jews

Contradicted the Biblical Text and Historical Data. I don't think it was all of Amalek that was targeted for Cherem at all by the command God gave Saul.

As our liberties get taken away during this covid plandemic, what are the forum's views on these quotes on human ownership from the Bible?
-------------
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ” (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel. (1 Peter 2:18)

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. “But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given.” (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.’ If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever. (Exodus 21:2-6 NLT)

All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare of their slaves. (1 Timothy 6:1-2)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl’s owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

------------
I read something once that explained that the term slave in biblical times did not always have exactly the same connotation as it does today, and was often something more akin to a kind of indentured servitude. Perhaps somebody knows a bit more about this, whether this is accurate or not.