Sleep

Chester

Pigeon
From time to time, I also have problems in catch a dream. I often suffer from anxiety. I also have a sensitive dream and it's difficult for me to fall asleep if the bedroom lights up or the sound of the TV is heard. I noticed that it’s more difficult for me to wake up in a room where the temperature is too high for me and I suffer from tiredness all day, after that. It helped me a lot to get a healthier sleep when I replaced the mattress, chose bedding made from natural materials and started using an orthopedic pillow. If you look at the description of such a pillow on this site https://ortorex.com/p/pillow/ (there are photos from different angles), you will notice that it's not too low, not too soft and has such a shape to support your head, relieve tension from the neck and straighten your ridge. This is important for people who are prone to cervical osteahandrosis. By the way, this often causes problems with cognitive abilities, because your brain doesn't get enough air. This can be the cause of apnea. Only your doctor can make an accurate diagnosis, but I would advise you to use tips on how to make the atmosphere in the bedroom for better sleep and visit a doctor. I hope you solve this problem soon!

Can you tell a little more about your symptoms? It sounds like your main problem is frequent awakenings. Do you also feel tired throughout the day? Is your tiredness directly correlated with how much time you spend asleep, or are you still tired even if you get close to the full amount?

If it is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), there is a questionnaire called the STOP-BANG that can risk stratify you, but if it does come back as high risk ultimately you'd still need the sleep study. Are you overweight? If so, losing weight can often help with sleep apnea. With OSA your sleep would be fragmented, stopping you from getting restorative sleep even if you are getting enough hours, so you'd likely be very tired throughout the day and may find yourself dozing off at times. Most patients with OSA snore, but not all do. Not sure how good quality your video of you sleeping is, but with OSA you should see yourself stop breathing for many seconds at a time. Untreated OSA can be harmful to your health, and greatly increases your risk of high blood pressure and strokes, so it's important not to ignore it if that's what it actually is. When you say you bought a sleep apnea machine, do you mean like a CPAP? That's usually what patients with OSA need, but if you have a sleep study they should be able to help you titrate it to the appropriate levels.

If it's not OSA, there are still things you can do to try and improve your sleep. Try to keep the same hours every day and avoid staying up late or sleeping in. Avoid naps. Sleep in a cool, dark room. Avoid alcohol and caffeinated beverages (at least after noon). Avoid bright screens for couple hours before going to sleep.

Rob Banks

Pelican
Getting a good night's sleep is underrated.

If I don't sleep regularly (and by regularly I mean around 8 hours per night), I cannot function properly. It f**ks with me on a deep spiritual level. I become more susceptible to demons and bad spirits.

If I am sleep deprived, I need 2 full nights' sleep to feel normal again.

Oversleeping is also bad. If I oversleep, I am fatigued, lazy, and unmotivated the next day.

Honestly, it’s sad but the largest limiting factor for quality sleep for me is caffeine intake. If I go even one day without having any, my sleep is greatly improved.
Next is blue light/technology. Even 10 mins of meditation followed by reading a quality fiction book with minimal light or candlelight is a great way.
Sparing use of supplements can help. 0.3mg of melatonin 1 hour before, or 500-1000mg of Phenibut 5 hours before. Once in a blue moon use.
Heavy exercise always works too. Go for a run with some hill sprints before 6pm (too late hurts my sleep).

Definitely addicted to caffeine, but the quality of sleep difference is making me thinking of dropping it alltogether. Sleep is king. I truly think that is the limiting factor for most people in being the best you can be.

kel

Ostrich
Try stepping down your caffeine intake if cold turkey is too hard. Get some good decaf, start by doing half decaf half regular, gradually work up to all decaf, then nothing.

Seeker79

Kingfisher
It's very expensive and involved but having a sleep study done can help you diagnose and work towards resolving your problems.

Matianus

Sparrow
You should outfit your house or apartment with lamps that have red light bulbs. Turn them on after sunset. Yes, it will seem really strange at first but stick with it. If you have to use your computer or phone after sunset, then use a red light mode on the most extreme setting (Flux, Night Shift, etc). Once I cut out all blue light, my sleep dramatically improved.

katz

Chicken
I stick to red bulbs or candles for about an hour before I rack out. It's worked wonders. Melatonin, sleep masks, earplugs, a fan, and biphasic sleep have also helped me a great deal.

This is great advice.
Some other additions I've tried with good results:
  • Blue light blocking glasses + f.lux installed in my computer
    • It helps protect circadian rhythms disturbances
  • Taking magnesium (or ZMA) and glycine before bed
  • Taking chamomile tea before bed
  • Not using cellphone/computer/TV at least 1 hour before bed
  • Sun exposure during the day
    • If you are inside all day, your body won't know when to produce melatonin naturally
  • Invested in a better pillow (memory foam pill)
  • Regular exercise
    • I have problems falling sleep if I have too much unused energy

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
I heard taurine is good for improving sleep if taken at night. I haven't tried this, but I ordered some recently b/c it is inexpensive and has a lot of other benefits besides including sleep. I've heard a lot of positive reports on this supplement. Also, because I was vegetarian for a while, and taurine is high in meat but not as much plant-based diets, I also want to boost up my levels since I suspect they may be sub-optimal.

Magnesium is also helpful...not just for sleep but it has TONS of benefits and many people are low in it. Do some research if you want more information.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
I have been having horrible sleep problems lately. It's tempting to blame the fact that my wife recently had a baby, but I don't buy it. The baby isn't screaming through the night or anything like that. But I'm an extremely light sleeper (and always have been) and easily wake up when she gets up to nurse.

My problem isn't going to bed (which is generally easy), but not being able to fall back asleep when I wake up at night. I wake up, uncomfortably roll around in bed for hours, then finally give up and get up. What is wrong with me? I know it's not the bed/mattress/whatever because when I go to bed I'm perfectly comfortable. The room isn't too hot, I'm not looking at my phone, etc. I can get some sleep back napping in the afternoon but it doesn't remotely make up for how much I'm loosing at night. I need to get close to a full eight hours of sleep to function and right now I feel completely screwed up. And since I read Matthew Walker's book (see above), I know exactly how horrible it is to not get enough sleep for even one night, let alone on a regular basis.

Anybody here have some sort of tips or strategies that have helped you fall back asleep when you wake up? I really don't know what to do.

My problem isn't going to bed (which is generally easy), but not being able to fall back asleep when I wake up at night. I wake up, uncomfortably roll around in bed for hours, then finally give up and get up. What is wrong with me? I know it's not the bed/mattress/whatever because when I go to bed I'm perfectly comfortable. The room isn't too hot, I'm not looking at my phone, etc. I can get some sleep back napping in the afternoon but it doesn't remotely make up for how much I'm loosing at night. I need to get close to a full eight hours of sleep to function and right now I feel completely screwed up. And since I read Matthew Walker's book (see above), I know exactly how horrible it is to not get enough sleep for even one night, let alone on a regular basis.

Anybody here have some sort of tips or strategies that have helped you fall back asleep when you wake up? I really don't know what to do.

I was always a light sleeper but definitely lighter with infants in the house.* Similarly I have had problems getting back to sleep after being woken.

Best advice I have read and followed is that staying in bed and tossing and turning only makes it harder to get back to sleep, since all you are doing is getting more and more frustrated at not being able to sleep. Get up, change rooms, read a book (no screens). Return to bed when you start to feel sleepy again.

Another thing that helped me greatly in getting a solid night's sleep (dreamless, no waking up) was meditating. I only did 5 minutes, moving on to 10 minutes guided meditation first thing in the mornings but the change was immediate. YMMV. Check this forum for the meditation threads to get started.

* if you're using those child monitor walkie-talkie things, I would say get rid of it. Being a light sleeper, having that thing beside me meant I was opening my eyes at every little sound the kid makes; if there's actually a problem, the kid will cry loudly enough to wake you anyway.

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
Update: I have now lost the ability to fall asleep at bedtime as well.

The baby sleeps in our bedroom because our place is too tiny to put her anywhere else. But even when she's quiet I can't sleep.

MiroKlose

Sparrow
Download and turn this app on:

https://rainymood.com

There is also a breathing technique which works like charm

Do this as you lie down on your bed and you will fall asleep as you do it in 15 to 30 minutes

It is called the 479 breathing technique

1. Breathe in for 4 seconds
2. Hold that breath for 7 seconds
3. Breathe out slowly through your mouth for 9 seconds
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 till you fall asleep