Sleep

Vienna

Kingfisher
Gold Member
This guy also wrote a book... a fellow forum member read the book and said it changed his life.

Read his book half a year ago and it changed my life too. After finishing the book, I went and bought a continental bed and starting keeping regular sleeping hours also on weekends. It’s the best decision I made of 2019. The difference good sleep makes in your daily life is incredible, and as Walker states in his book, it can also influence if you spend your older years in a dementia daze or with your mental faculties more or less intact.

wannable alpha

Woodpecker
I currently tend to oversleep, which is probably a sign of depression. I used to sleep around 7 hours a night, but now around 9 to 10 hours.
Is it because you don't have much to do during the day? There were times in my life when this was true. Nothing much to do or anywhere to go out to hang out. Even now with COVID19 there are days when I just laze around since I work from home and meeting friends or nightlife is pretty much finished.

Callixtus

Robin
Last month when I was on my unplanned state-sponsored vacation (laid off, on unemployment) I tended to sleep quite a bit, 8-10 hours most nights, but still had trouble waking up and getting my rear in gear and in the afternoon around 4:00/5:00 PM I'd get pretty groggy and lazy for no apparent reason.

Now that I'm working manual labor again 10-12 hours a day, six days a week I'm averaging 5.5-7 hours a night and after shaking off the morning foggyness I'm raring to go all day long. There's something to be said about having a purpose and "earning" your rest in relation to the quality of your sleep I imagine. Also, dreams. I haven't had dreams this vivid and memorable in months.

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I'm a big fan of Potato Starch for massively improving sleep quality + sometimes giving you really vivid dreams. I've bought packets for a handful of friends & family and received pretty good feedback. There's a ton of upside & no or very little downside. I would definitely give this a shot as there's nothing to lose!

How it supposedly works (going off memory, so I may have a few details mixed up) is potato starch is a resistant starch which passes mostly undigested into your gut where 'good' bacteria eat it up & produce butyrate as a by-product. This butyrate floats down to your large intestine where your hungry epithelial cells eat it up & use it for fuel. A bunch of neurotransmitters & something like 90% of your serotonin is produced in your gut, so giving your gut cells a boost does wonders for general health & especially sleep.

To use potato starch, just take a heaping teaspoon & mix it in a glass of water or whatever you prefer. It doesn't really taste like anything, maybe a little bit like potato. On my end, I just put the teaspoon straight into my mouth & then slosh some water around & drink it, creatine style. If I feel my sleep is lacking or I specifically want crazy dreams, then I'll take 2-3 teaspoons. Note: It won't work the same way if you cook it. You're supposed to eat it raw. There are other resistant starches, but potato starch is the most convenient for me.

The upsides are:
Cost - Potato starch is generic baking product & it's really cheap. $2 to $5 depending on brand & size. It'll last you a couple months.
Natural - It's just potato starch. There's no other ingredients
Availability - Smaller grocery stores might not stock it, but the bigger ones usually have it in the baking aisle.
Really good for your sleep & general health + occasionally have really fun dreams
Pretty flexible when you take it - I usually take it ~an hour before bed, but you can drink it much earlier in the day.

Downsides:
Chance it doesn't 'work' for you. If it doesn't seem to work, I'd try eating a bigger dose for the next few days before giving up.
A few people experience some flatulence or a very mild headache if they take too much.
Some dreams can get really crazy.

I use the Clubhouse brand, or Bob's Red Mill (https://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-starch.html).

Anyway, hope this is helpful. I first heard about potato starch from this really old forum thread, so that may be worth a look as well: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/resistant-starch-the-latest-dietary-red-pill.13684/

Hypno

Crow
I'm a big fan of Potato Starch for massively improving sleep quality + sometimes giving you really vivid dreams. I've bought packets for a handful of friends & family and received pretty good feedback. There's a ton of upside & no or very little downside. I would definitely give this a shot as there's nothing to lose!

How it supposedly works (going off memory, so I may have a few details mixed up) is potato starch is a resistant starch which passes mostly undigested into your gut where 'good' bacteria eat it up & produce butyrate as a by-product. This butyrate floats down to your large intestine where your hungry epithelial cells eat it up & use it for fuel. A bunch of neurotransmitters & something like 90% of your serotonin is produced in your gut, so giving your gut cells a boost does wonders for general health & especially sleep.

To use potato starch, just take a heaping teaspoon & mix it in a glass of water or whatever you prefer. It doesn't really taste like anything, maybe a little bit like potato. On my end, I just put the teaspoon straight into my mouth & then slosh some water around & drink it, creatine style. If I feel my sleep is lacking or I specifically want crazy dreams, then I'll take 2-3 teaspoons. Note: It won't work the same way if you cook it. You're supposed to eat it raw. There are other resistant starches, but potato starch is the most convenient for me.

The upsides are:
Cost - Potato starch is generic baking product & it's really cheap. $2 to $5 depending on brand & size. It'll last you a couple months.
Natural - It's just potato starch. There's no other ingredients
Availability - Smaller grocery stores might not stock it, but the bigger ones usually have it in the baking aisle.
Really good for your sleep & general health + occasionally have really fun dreams
Pretty flexible when you take it - I usually take it ~an hour before bed, but you can drink it much earlier in the day.

Downsides:
Chance it doesn't 'work' for you. If it doesn't seem to work, I'd try eating a bigger dose for the next few days before giving up.
A few people experience some flatulence or a very mild headache if they take too much.
Some dreams can get really crazy.

I use the Clubhouse brand, or Bob's Red Mill (https://www.bobsredmill.com/potato-starch.html).

Anyway, hope this is helpful. I first heard about potato starch from this really old forum thread, so that may be worth a look as well: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/resistant-starch-the-latest-dietary-red-pill.13684/

Potato starch can help fix your gut biome and get you healthier, but I never had any sleep benefits from it.

Unreleated, I take a supplement L-theanine. Its an amino acid. It helps with mental focus. A side effect is it allows you sleep more deeply and regularly, and you often have more vivid dreams. I take 200 mg a day.

LoveBug

Kingfisher
Careful with melatonin. Using it for prolonged periods (more than a week straight) can lower your natural melatonin production and create a dependence.

I’m already done for.. been taking it over a year, up to 15 mg now.

It’s not something to play with though, your right

I’m not a medical advisor at all, so this is up to individual research, but as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I do believe melatonin can have some health properties.

I don’t eat a exceptional diet, and my last triglycerides check was 40. Now, I take a lot of herbs, vitamins and other things that help, but I believe melatonin has helped my lipid profile to some degree. I believe it’s thought to inhibit some cancer lines too.

This isn’t to suggest people use melatonin though. It may be a different case for others who use it, or it might be harmful for me over the long run

Last edited:

monsquid

Kingfisher
I’m already done for.. been taking it over a year, up to 15 mg now.

It’s not something to play with though, your right

I’m not a medical advisor at all, so this is up to individual research, but as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I do believe melatonin can have some health properties.

I don’t eat a exceptional diet, and my last triglycerides check was 40. Now, I take a lot of herbs, vitamins and other things that help, but I believe melatonin has helped my lipid profile to some degree. I believe it’s thought to inhibit some cancer lines too.

This isn’t to suggest people use melatonin though. It may be a different case for others who use it, or it might be harmful for me over the long run

Melatonin is very useful in when resetting your sleep cycle like when you switch time zones or changing shift for work. The slippery slope exists because your body naturally creates melatonin in sync with your circadian rhythm. When you feel sleepy at your normal bedtime that is your regular melatonin kicking in. If you take too much artificial you suppress this natural production and over time may actually damage it significantly.

I can go all day without any real anxiety, in a more or less prayerful and creative trance, but then the second my head touches the pillow at night my whole body gets flooded with energy. It’s like all the anxiety I didn’t feel during the day just attacks me all at once at night. Currently on 10mg of melatonin and 30mg diphenhydramine just to fall asleep, and even that can take a half hour or longer to work.

monsquid

Kingfisher
I can go all day without any real anxiety, in a more or less prayerful and creative trance, but then the second my head touches the pillow at night my whole body gets flooded with energy. It’s like all the anxiety I didn’t feel during the day just attacks me all at once at night. Currently on 10mg of melatonin and 30mg diphenhydramine just to fall asleep, and even that can take a half hour or longer to work.

Probably worth seeing a sleep doctor. There could be factors you are not seeing. The self medication could cause problems.

FactusIRX

Woodpecker
I have a similar issue (but not as severe), where I feel anxiety at night. I take 5mg of melatonin, which I've been taking for years. I'm going to get a sleep study done to see what's going on.

MtnMan

Woodpecker
Update: I have now lost the ability to fall asleep at bedtime as well.

The baby sleeps in our bedroom because our place is too tiny to put her anywhere else. But even when she's quiet I can't sleep.
My wife had a baby last september. I lost a lot of sleep throughout the last year, because it is very hard to sleep through a crying baby. As the year went by, I started having more and more trouble falling back to sleep or even sleeping through the night (even when the baby did).

About a month ago, the baby started sleeping through the night consistently, and my sleep completely fell apart. It seemed so strange, but my sister (who is a sleep consultant/doula for infants) said this is pretty common with dads.

For the last couple weeks I have been getting almost zero sleep and feeling extremely stressed about it. I have set up a camper out on my land and I walk out there to sleep for the night, this has helped some, but still hasn't been great.

Recently, my wife suggested I try magnesium calm, and it was like a miracle. I tried melatonn before this with no good results.

I could feel my heart rate and blood pressure reduce almost immediately. I slept like a baby and felt much better in the morning. I had trouble a few months after the baby was born with heart palpitations. I started reading about stress and magnesium deficiency.

You can read down through this page. I found the sections about Depression and Adrenal function and Insomnia to be interesting.

For me, it feels like the stress of being a new dad and sole breadwinner combined with interrupted sleep let me into a spiral of high cortisol (which apparently leads to your body consuming magnesium at a rapid rate). I have tried other supplements over the years with little or no real effect, and I was very skeptical that this would do anything, but it feels like a miracle to me. I bought a book about insomnia, but haven't gotten very far since the magnesium makes me pass out so quickly.

Its worth a try, you might find it work too.

MtnMan

Woodpecker
try magnesium calm drink, what you describe is exactly how I feel, magnesium calm had me sleeping like a baby on the first try.