Sleep

kel

Ostrich
I've tried a couple different mattress-in-a-box companies and been satisfied with both especially given the price. I'm thinking hybrid - insulated coil mattress topped with foam type styff - would be ideal for me because I do like a firmer surface, but a $700 latex mattress delivered to your door in a box with a 90-day free return is nice and in general I think the industry has reached a baseline of quality. I'm looking at Bear Mattress after reading some reviews for my next one, though I hear the MyPillow mattress is, no meme, amazing so I'm considering that, too.

Diocletian

Woodpecker
I've always had problems sleeping. Some things that have helped me a lot:

Valerian root or St. John's Wort capsules as a sleep aid. I periodically switch between the two so as not to develop a dependency on either one. I've always had terrible hay fever so I take a generic benadryl on top of that.

Reduce alcohol consumption. I always sleep a lot better when I drink little or no alcohol. If you're of Mediterranean or East Asian descent don't consume any dairy other than things like aged cheese or yogurt, GI discomfort from consuming dairy will ruin your sleep. Once I stopped that my sleep did improve.

Very stiff mattress. I'm a big guy so any mattress that's softer than a concrete block doesn't work for me. I sleep on my side with my head on two stacked extra firm big pillows.

Don't watch TV before bed, especially the news--don't read it either--and don't listen to any music more exciting than the boring movements from the Brandenburg Concertos. That causes anxiety and makes it difficult to sleep.

If I wake up during the night heavy breathing usually helps me fall back to sleep.

Keto diet, this is a big one. When you're on it you have a lot more energy and need less sleep in general.

Say your prayers immediately before hopping in the sack. It puts you in a more peaceful state of mind.

MacLeod

Chicken
I've seen some of these mentioned already, but I'm going to second them.

-Light levels. If there's too much light at night, I won't get any deep sleep and will wake up throughout the night. Blinds need to be closed, all lights need to be off.

-Blanket weight. This one won't apply to everyone, but I've found that I can't sleep well with just a sheet; even during the summer, I use a heavy blanket and keep the fan on. The heat can be brutal, though.

-Food and caffeine: consuming caffeine too late in the day and eating too much right before bed will make sleeping difficult. I don't drink anything caffeinated later than 11:00 AM, and prefer to have an hour between eating and sleeping.

-Keeping your sleep schedule consistent. It's easier both to fall asleep and get up in the morning if your body anticipates doing those things at the same times every day.

Does anyone have a mattress recommendation? I'm looking to replace my 20 yr old mattress.

If you sleep on your back or stomach, take a look at a firm futon mattress. Just make sure it's on a very even surface- I actually dislike folding futon frames, as the ones I've used didn't lie completely flat. Could have just been crappy frames, though.

SouthernTory

Woodpecker
I've tried a couple different mattress-in-a-box companies and been satisfied with both especially given the price. I'm thinking hybrid - insulated coil mattress topped with foam type styff - would be ideal for me because I do like a firmer surface, but a $700 latex mattress delivered to your door in a box with a 90-day free return is nice and in general I think the industry has reached a baseline of quality. I'm looking at Bear Mattress after reading some reviews for my next one, though I hear the MyPillow mattress is, no meme, amazing so I'm considering that, too.
I have been thinking about replacing my current mattress with one of these and have been wondering how they hold up. Do they have the same lifespan as a regular one? Are they firm enough? I'm a big guy and 6ft 5 and wonder if they will be too soft? I often have problems woth my feet hanging over the end of beds really need a king size at least.

kel

Ostrich
I have been thinking about replacing my current mattress with one of these and have been wondering how they hold up. Do they have the same lifespan as a regular one? Are they firm enough? I'm a big guy and 6ft 5 and wonder if they will be too soft? I often have problems woth my feet hanging over the end of beds really need a king size at least.
I also prefer a firmer mattress, which is why I'm looking into a hybrid. All I can suggest there is find reviews that compare brands (there are sites and youtube channels that do nothing but that) and find one that's allegedly firmer than others.

I don't know what the lifespan of a regular mattress is, but both of the foam startup ones that I've had lasted years and years - I can't even tell you how long, really, the first I gave away while moving and the second I still have. Given the price difference, too, I think you're better off going with the startup ones. The mattress I currently have is less than half the cost of a decent name brand mattress at a store, based on a quick search. As I said, it's lasted for years so far, and I'm pretty confident that it'll continue to last at least as much as half the lifespan of the traditional mattress (probably the same time, honestly).

J.E.

Robin
What was the original thread about? Sleep in general or how to improve sleep?

Lately I'm sleeping a lot since I started exercising frequently and eating less. I don't find time or am too lazy to always prepare two big meals. Due to little nutrition I lack a lot of energy to keep work, exercise and other stuff afloat. Usually I have to sacrifice one or two things because I am too tired and sleep too long. The more reserve energy you have, the less sleep you need. I usually need 5 hours of sleep, due to food deprivation the sleep time is double (~ 10 hours).

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Items I have to have now for my even bed routine:

CPAP
Vicks vaporub
2 foam pillows under my knees
Back out curtains

If those are not present my sleep generally sucks

Melatonin helps me a lot, but beware of the dosage. I've got mine with 10mg pills, but I cut them in four 2,5mg parts. More than that makes me foggy and tired during the day.

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Its hot where i'm staying (been mid to late 30s c pretty much every day for last 3 weeks). I am very good in the heat, i dont burn and love the sunshine.

However at night i'm having a real issue with night sweats. I keep waking an hour or two in from turning in, with cold sweats. I sweat heavy from head and face, and cos ive got the windows open, with a light breeze in, the sweat goes cold and gives me weird fluctations and chills.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but i hate it. One minute i;m too hot, then cold from the sweat. It's like a Catch 22.

Dunno if anyone has experienced similar?

I am currently sleeping with very light sheets / covers, think i might try and add more, so if i sweat at least i stay warm.

Either way i cant wait for the temperature to level off, feels like i havent had a good undisturbed sleep for ages.

Batman_

Kingfisher
Its hot where i'm staying (been mid to late 30s c pretty much every day for last 3 weeks). I am very good in the heat, i dont burn and love the sunshine.

However at night i'm having a real issue with night sweats. I keep waking an hour or two in from turning in, with cold sweats. I sweat heavy from head and face, and cos ive got the windows open, with a light breeze in, the sweat goes cold and gives me weird fluctations and chills.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but i hate it. One minute i;m too hot, then cold from the sweat. It's like a Catch 22.

Dunno if anyone has experienced similar?

I am currently sleeping with very light sheets / covers, think i might try and add more, so if i sweat at least i stay warm.

Either way i cant wait for the temperature to level off, feels like i havent had a good undisturbed sleep for ages.
??? Turn on the AC man. Your core body temperature is supposed to drop 1-2 degrees before bedtime to signal to your body its time to sleep.

I sleep in my boxers with minimal bedding at 65 degrees f, sometimes even as low as 62 (16-17 c)...it is the single most important thing I can do for my sleep.

El Draque

Kingfisher
Orthodox
??? Turn on the AC man. Your core body temperature is supposed to drop 1-2 degrees before bedtime to signal to your body its time to sleep.

I sleep in my boxers with minimal bedding at 65 degrees f, sometimes even as low as 62 (16-17 c)...it is the single most important thing I can do for my sleep.

Id rather be warm than use ac at night.

I dont like sleeping cool, i like a cool room and warm bedding. Weird maybe, just the way i sleep best.