Social distancing in gyms

RomikJan

Pigeon
Gyms still closed here in Boston but we got this one gym owner who opened and is getting 1000 dollar fine a day. He has made some money on gofund to keep it open and continues to battle with them. Claims that state troopers come in to work out there and then come back and fine him.

Also wanted to touch about these syringe emojis. Plenty of businesses also using these syringe emojis. As well as people commenting on all sorts of businesses that things either they arent coming until (syringe emoji) or its going to be like this until vaccination. All sorts of businesses from gyms to restaurants to hotels i wonder if silcon valley has social media bots out there making these comments and getting all the likes.

Mephianse

I just keep coming back to the idea of social distancing in night clubs. I might be getting off topic here but just imagine these places applying social distancing rules. It defeats the whole purpose of going out to meet someone and get some sort of intimacy.

This might be the end of the night club scene but I personally think that some of the venues will still be open. I almost feel bad for those men who still think it is a good idea to go out to meet women. Women now will have an extra excuse to reject you: "Please, let's keep social distancing, ok? teehehe"

It's physical distancing. Not social distancing. It's impossible to socially distance at a nightclub, unless you just refuse to make eye contact with anyone. Going to a nightclub is a social activity first and foremost. Let's stop using their Orwellian vocabulary.

I refuse to go anywhere that is adopting physical distancing protocols, other than weekly grocery store visits, because I come away from such outings even more stressed and less relaxed than when I went in. The act of allowing someone to replicate the actions of a normal social behavior, but then limiting it so he cannot actually connect with others is a form of psychological torture.

Go out for a meal, to enjoy pleasant table service, but instead you are served by a faceless anonymous humanoid? No thanks.
Go to a a church service where no one can share the love of the Gospel with each other, but instead look ahead in fear through holes in a mask? Never. Meet up with others but be unable to give them a handshake or hug? Not going to happen. America was socially isolated already before this pandemic. I refuse to make it any worse.

What night club? It's call RIOT. Haven't you seen girls or guys posting on instagram - let's get drunk, put on some cute riot outfit and go riot tonight!

The only place where social distancing is not enforced.

I just keep coming back to the idea of social distancing in night clubs. I might be getting off topic here but just imagine these places applying social distancing rules. It defeats the whole purpose of going out to meet someone and get some sort of intimacy.

This might be the end of the night club scene but I personally think that some of the venues will still be open. I almost feel bad for those men who still think it is a good idea to go out to meet women. Women now will have an extra excuse to reject you: "Please, let's keep social distancing, ok? teehehe"

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I... will not work out... in the pod...?

This country is unrecognizable from a year ago which is unrecognizable from 20 years ago. The cultural revolution is relentless and accelerating.
The main thing that sticks out to me is, whats the point of this? If someone is in there sneezing or coughing, or god forbid breathing rapidly because they are working out, the germs are still going to be everywhere and some plastic barriers that aren't enclosed bubbles aint going to stop that. Will you get a number at the front desk assigning you to your own pod bench that you can't leave for the rest of your workout? Not that it makes any difference overall, but I doubt it. So when people are swapping pods its a moot point anyways.

I refuse to go anywhere that is adopting physical distancing protocols, other than weekly grocery store visits
This is where we find ourselves in my family. The gym was the one spending item we're willing to commit to again, since we all use it multiple times a week but when they started reservations, distancing, and no kidzone (free childcare at our gym, a big perk for us)...

We haven't signed up again and I dragged out the weight bench today after gaining 5 or 10lbs during the shutdown.

We refuse to go to any business playing along with this nightmare. It's just easier to find an alternative.

HermeticAlly

Kingfisher
This is nuts.

Here in Georgia, my gym has been open for a few weeks and though it took some time, it's returned to regular business again. There are a few differences from before, like arrows on the floor and the basketball court not being open, plus employees constantly cleaning stuff, but other than that, it's pretty normal.

In the free weight area, nobody is wearing a mask. There's absolutely no atmosphere of worry or anything like that. But I guess I lucked out with my gym situation.

BlastbeatCasanova

Kingfisher
This is nuts.

Here in Georgia, my gym has been open for a few weeks and though it took some time, it's returned to regular business again. There are a few differences from before, like arrows on the floor and the basketball court not being open, plus employees constantly cleaning stuff, but other than that, it's pretty normal.

In the free weight area, nobody is wearing a mask. There's absolutely no atmosphere of worry or anything like that. But I guess I lucked out with my gym situation.
So funny and predictable to see the people who were absolutely dragging Kemp over reopening the state now silent on that and supporting the riots and looting.

Glaucon

Ostrich
Gold Member
I bought two kettle bells, a 12kg (26 lbs) and a 24 kg (52 lbs) more than a year ago when I got fed up how packed all gyms around me are.

I am doing kettle bell home workouts daily, and it is great. Saving time, and money. I can highly recommend.

The 12kg smaller one can fit easily in the car if you have to travel somewhere to a longer period, and you can still do workouts with it.

An0dyne

Sparrow
Returned to the gym for the first time today. There was absolutely no social distancing going on -- in fact, it was more packed than usual, I was a bit surprised. Only people in masks were the attendants and like one guy. It was slightly encouraging!

tsp216

Gyms here in NYC are still not open. They're expected to open in Phase 2, which is expected to be early July.

Getting by w/ home gym rn. Not ideal as the only place where I can train, which is in the back yard, has slightly inclined ground.

Another problem is I'm training outdoors, and this won't be super practical if this continues into winter

Wearing a mask when at the gym doing physical activities can be dangerous, as it limits oxygen intake, no?

FactusIRX

Pigeon
Planning on attending the gym tomorrow, but there's a bunch of restrictions, including booking an appointment, cannot do super sets, and cannot use the lockers in they gym. Once stock comes back for gym equipment, I'm just going to finish setting up my home gym.

droughtmeat

Woodpecker
I'm absolutely loving bodyweight workouts at the outdoor beach gym, or with rings at any park. Add in jump rope and hill sprints and I'm feeling in excellent shape. However, I'll still go to the gym for deadlifts and squats once mine reopens. No mask required while exercising. So that's OK

Peacock
Gold Member
This is nuts.

They're going to reopen basketball, but with special lanes designated by arrows, and strict NBA-style no-defense defense. Players must also stop to sanitize the ball after every pass.

Seriously though: back in May when the weather was starting to improve over here, I tried to play tennis at a local park. We had three cops barge into the court shortly after we started. Jogging and cycling were allowed, so we argued that we should also be allowed to play singles tennis as we were social distancing and always at least 2m apart. They argued that you were touching the same ball, but my friend and I had each brought sets of different color balls, orange and yellow, and we would only be touching and serving our own set of balls. The two guy cops were about to let us slide, but the third one, a butchy Karen, said that there was a chance we would be hit by a ball during play, which means that we would definitely be killing grandma tomorrow by playing tennis today. She had the last word, and told us to bug off, adding that we were lucky to slide without a $1000 ticket...

Peacock
Gold Member
What night club? It's call RIOT. Haven't you seen girls or guys posting on instagram - let's get drunk, put on some cute riot outfit and go riot tonight!

The only place where social distancing is not enforced.
Here's how to get your gym business restarted:

1- Reopen as "The George Floyd Memorial Gym"
2- Declare your gym an Autonomous Zone, hire a Raz Camacho type as the Zone Supreme Leader
3- Become the local antifa branch - add a special safe space weight room with lots of pink 2lb and 5lb dumbbells