Social distancing in gyms

aeroektar

Pelican
Returned to the gym for the first time today. There was absolutely no social distancing going on -- in fact, it was more packed than usual, I was a bit surprised. Only people in masks were the attendants and like one guy. It was slightly encouraging!
I went yesterday (in a free state, not a blue state) for the first time since March. Same experience, no one masked or social distancing, full of people, it was great. If they change things and try to install pods or some retarded shit I'll cancel my membership.

I did see a pale white out of shape Karen with her kids there, all standing in line getting signed up. They were the only ones masked and she asked if they had to wear them, to which the guy at the desk said "no it's obviously too hard to workout in a mask". She came back 5 minutes later and said "what is this green tape on the floor? Are we doing something wrong? I want to make sure we dont break the rules" to which the guy said "we were trying something don't worry about it".

Other then that it was full of people not giving a shit about covid. The only other place I've seen that level of freedom taking place is gun stores (zero masks or social distancing either). It feels good seeing people mingling like normal. I know the gym isn't a necessity like food but it's absolutely worth going and I'd say it's more useful to a man then academia at this point.

Last edited:

Captainstabbin

Hummingbird
Went back starting yesterday. The gym usually isn't crowded when I go (late night or early afternoon) but there were only 4 people yesterday and 2 today. The desk workers are supposed to be washing machines and benches every 15 minutes but they're not. No one wears a mask. Gym capacity is still limited to 30 people but they've never come close to reaching it. The guy working the desk said that, when membership billing restarted on June 1, hundreds of people cancelled and the gym will probably close in a few months anyway.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
My gym went bankrupt.

I was pretty sad to hear that, but since this bullshit lockdown I have worked out better, smarter and more often. With the sun rise, with my son, every day.

Lost almost 10 pounds, too.

If my gym finds a buyer, I am torn on if I actually want to go back to a gym. But I miss the iron therapy and the people.

kel

Pelican
I'm absolutely loving bodyweight workouts at the outdoor beach gym, or with rings at any park. Add in jump rope and hill sprints and I'm feeling in excellent shape. However, I'll still go to the gym for deadlifts and squats once mine reopens. No mask required while exercising. So that's OK
Do you have a routine you're following? I do pullups at the park, pushups and stuff at home, but the gym closure has been frustrating for me, I don't feel like they're very effective workouts compared to the gym.

I'm quite sure that steroid induced bro physiques are going to become less and less attractive to women as 150lbs antifa types beat random bros half to death in the streets.

This is the time of the endurance sport male. Finally the sickly "I can't fight, but I can run for 2 hours" physique will get its day in the sun.

droughtmeat

Woodpecker
Do you have a routine you're following? I do pullups at the park, pushups and stuff at home, but the gym closure has been frustrating for me, I don't feel like they're very effective workouts compared to the gym.
Regarding the exercises, I always do pushups, dips, pullups, ring rows with my entire bodyweight off the ground. For legs pistols, hill sprints, jump rope (though this is more cardio of course).

I have a horrible answer regarding the routine, because simply depends how I feel. I've been trying this workout with the ring dips and ring pullups. On good days I'm "advanced", whereas on others I'm around that intermediate level. I understand the importance of pushing through fatigue, but I don't want to sacrifice form and risk injury.

Sets and Reps
  • Beginner: 4 x 4 (16 dips, 16 pull-ups)
  • Intermediate: 6 x 6, (36 dips, 36 pull-ups)
  • Advanced: 8 x 8 (64 dips, 64 pull-ups)
  • Elite: 10 x 10 (100 dips, 100 pull-ups)

I'm quite sure that steroid induced bro physiques are going to become less and less attractive to women as 150lbs antifa types beat random bros half to death in the streets.

This is the time of the endurance sport male. Finally the sickly "I can't fight, but I can run for 2 hours" physique will get its day in the sun.
I know this is satire ....but strong people are always harder to kill. Reference the video where the guy ko's the Antifa jabronie after he catches the baton.

I dropped my globogym account and spent the last 3 months doing heavy barbell exercises (you can do the standarst Starting Strength Novice Linear Progressioin) and eating more doing a power-lifting slip, and its been more effective than the hours of curls and stepmill I was doing post military. Plus I was getting pretty tired of seeing all the yoga pants and cell phone recordings by fat Mexican girls yelling at eachother in spanish whilst squating 95 lbs to put on their instagram. I'll never get another gym membership and the Wuhan Flu has been the catalyst to spend the money I saved not drinking at the bars on weights in the early months of the pandemic.

Instead of a lets run to death sticky, how about a home gym discussion. Once prices return to normal, a rack, plates, a barbell, and a adjustable bench can all be acquired relatively cheaply compared to what some people are paying in Gym dues. ($600 a year plus) Also, things like a sled you can plate load and drag are a lot better physical fitness builders as being able to carry a load for distances is much more realistic physical fitness activity vs 2 hours of running. There is a reason the .mil does conditioning hikes pre-deployement vs just using runs for combat readiness.

Everyone should do a couple years of heavy lifting imo, but I'm not sure it really helps that much after that. You also spend so much time trying to gain an extra inch or your bicep for 2.5% extra Tinder success.

What if you spent that time boxing, rowing, sailing, hiking, rock climbing? I bet you'd be more interesting and have a better Tinder profile and your physique would still be impressive (provided those couple years of heavy lifting).

I'm considering Crossfit myself, because the founder made fun of BLM. Might be a self selecting patriot group lol.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
I bought two kettle bells, a 12kg (26 lbs) and a 24 kg (52 lbs) more than a year ago when I got fed up how packed all gyms around me are.

I am doing kettle bell home workouts daily, and it is great. Saving time, and money. I can highly recommend.

The 12kg smaller one can fit easily in the car if you have to travel somewhere to a longer period, and you can still do workouts with it.
Smart man. I had loaded up some dumbbells within the last couple years (for the same reason as you). Now there's a serious shortage of all of this type of equipment thanks to the COVID situation. I may have to look into kettle balls.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
Man. I hope these images are the extreme case the media likes to showcase to set the tone.

Gyms aren't open yet in my province in Canada. I've been on the slide since March, and honestly a little before that.

I ran short jogs the last couple days outside. I'm hoping to get into a groove and start to build up. I am going to start hitting the gym 3x/week with my brother who has a squat rack and some basic weights.

I've had trouble monitoring junk food around the house all day. Its easier at the office when you're in your cube and only eat at certain times.

Tactician

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I feel really guilty & shameful about this because early last year I picked up a squat rack for my garage, but I've been kinda sick/dizzy recently & slacked during lockdown. Consistency is the most important thing, so I can't wait to get back into it.

I know some STRONG cats at a local rec center, but it's been closed so many months now they must be hurting.

Also, I don't know how they're gonna do 'social distancing' because the cats hitting big #s on the bench generally want a spotter & people hang out between sets. Social distancing is just silly.

Anyway, for those just starting the home route, you can get brutally strong with a chin-up bar. Use a backpack hanging sideways from your hips by one strap to add weight. It's pretty comfortable & will last you a long time. When it stops being comfy then it's time to get a cushy dip-belt.

JGerman

There’s so little logical reasoning behind many of the Covid precautions.
I’m glad to have a home gym and not have to worry about what would likely be a similarly “sterile environment” to be working out in.
This world will hopefully come to some awakening that death isn’t the worst we can do to ourselves... those silly jogging pods are the ultimate proof we’re loosing our minds.

La Águila Negra

Woodpecker
Regarding the exercises, I always do pushups, dips, pullups, ring rows with my entire bodyweight off the ground. For legs pistols, hill sprints, jump rope (though this is more cardio of course).
A good leg workout is the only thing missing in my routine. Can't get that type of weight resistance training anywhere but in the gym

I tried to develop some sort of substitute. It actually works pretty well, my legs are completely sore and feeling bruised for up to 2/3 days later. Size and strength seem to be the same as before

Leg day 1.

I put a backpack on with 4 or 5 1.5 liter water bottles inside. Make sure the backpack is tight

25x 30 meter frog leaps. Make sure to do the whole squat movement when jumping. If necessary keep the muscle tensed when landing

10x 25 meter 'skating jumps'. Jump from one leg to the other, as if you are skating. Keep the muscle tensed during the whole exercise

At this point I take my backpack off

6x 30 meter lunges. I use a 25kg sack of rice for this exercise. Put it on one shoulder. Balancing might be a tad difficult. Focus on form and make sure your knee almost touches the ground whilst doing this exercise

6 sets of standing lunges. You can use a chair for this. I usually hold a bucket (filled with gravel/sand) in each hand

6 sets of bridges. I do this on the sofa and put the 25kg sack of rice on top of me

--

Leg day 2.

10 sets of Romanian deadlifts. I use a 25kg sack of rice and gradually build up the weight till 45kg (add other smaller sacks)

15 sets of calf raises. One bucket of gravel in one hand and the other hand to stabilise

kel

Pelican
I've been trying to do more muscular endurance work since I can't up the weight - hold a squat for thirty seconds, release, repeat for however many sets/reps. I admit I've been lazy about it, though, because it just doesn't feel that effective and takes so long. I should try to spread it more throughout the day. I have alerts set in my phone to do little workouts periodically, but they always seem to land right when I happen to be busiest at work.

LeoniusD

Sparrow

Remember the Black Mirror episode with the cycling "job"? Add to it this insane social distancing crap. In that episode by the way all the people were forced to generate energy by relentless cycling - guess because no one had any job and the elite was just keeping them around for fun and giggles.

This entire system resembles increasingly a Black Mirror episode.

Glaucon

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've been trying to do more muscular endurance work since I can't up the weight - hold a squat for thirty seconds, release, repeat for however many sets/reps. I admit I've been lazy about it, though, because it just doesn't feel that effective and takes so long. I should try to spread it more throughout the day. I have alerts set in my phone to do little workouts periodically, but they always seem to land right when I happen to be busiest at work.
Try slow workouts, like with squats,count 6 sec down,6 sec up.Also, make sure your muscle is used throughout the movement, you do not go full down or fullup, where the muscle can rest 1-2 sec. It is brutal this way

CSFurious

This is absolutely absurd. I will just keep on working out at home. You can get a good workout in by doing yoga and using kettlebells. There is a guy named "Pavel" who has good e-books. I have "Simple & Sinister" for my kettlebell workout. Push-ups are also a great exercise. I use a local park that has an exercise circuit which includes monkey and pull-up bars.