Social distancing in gyms

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
You can also get fit by running two miles, but if you want to run a marathon you're going to need to run a lot more miles. It's not just about basic fitness, some people do strength training as their sport of choice and to maximize the results you have to have access to certain equipment.
Yeah, exactly. It's also a sport and a hobby.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Such nonsense. You can get strong with just dumbbells. Gyms (commercially) are just money printing machines, figure it out already! You've got more than you need. Go outdoors! Trees, trenches, gullies to jump over.... try to climb your closest hill or walk the longest nature track near you or even a park.

I find gyms ghey, breathing in other men's sweat, yuck
You can also get fit by running two miles, but if you want to run a marathon you're going to need to run a lot more miles. It's not just about basic fitness, some people do strength training as their sport of choice and to maximize the results you have to have access to certain equipment.
But if you're a sprinter you don't even run 2 miles, doesn't mean this is basic fitness.
Everyone's idea of strength is different....and functional strength is a whole another beast.

Gentlemen, what you are referring to is weight training as a form of GPP (general physical preparedness). Just like running for caloric expenditure and to not get winded walking up stairs.

For most GPP with weights provides some hypertrophy, strength in various ranges of motions, and bone density/muscle mass generated in your youth so you can prevent dynapenia / sarcopenia (muscle loss and bone loss) For this a program like Starting Strength is good... because while it doesnt address all the hypertrophy needs, it does provide a template for GPP.

Investing in a home gym is an investment in yourself. Barbell training with a rack and a bench is the most utilitarian version of this. Dumbells (while I own a lot of them) are not as practical and are cost probitive in MOST instnaces. I've got $5-6k in a home gym equipment, and the order of equipment should be in the following order for the following exercises:

-Barbell/Plates (Deadlift/ Power clean/ Overhead Press/Lying Tricep EXT/Bent over Rows/Curls/Shrugs)
-Power Rack (Squats safely/ Rack Pulls)
-Adjustable Bench (to put in the rack so you can bench/pin press)
-Then Dumbells (for accessory work)
-Then specialty equipment such as different bars and equipment (reverse hyper extension/glute ham raise) bands/ chains ect...

Gyms are mostly a racket based off of marketing. But for many its a social circle (used to be my social activity to avoid drinking).

aynrus

Pelican
Everyone's definition of strength will be different and everyone will have a different list of activities and own definition of functional strength. I did aerial circus for years, for example. It was a little hard to rig at home.
But even Olympic barbell meant for dropping and plates never cost me much.
Strength doesn't have to cost much at all. Fill those sandbags.

NY Digital

Pelican
Gold Member
But if you're a sprinter you don't even run 2 miles, doesn't mean this is basic fitness.
Everyone's idea of strength is different....and functional strength is a whole another beast.

Running a high intensity 2 mile is definitely a workout lol. That being said, the best is when you mix up high intensity with low intensity 5-6+ mile runs.

You can get a complete workout at home with a pair of adjustable dumbbells.

Before COVID hit (I prepared for it since I was looking at it unfolding in Chyna before it hit the US), I bought a pair of 100lb adjustable dumbbells, an adjustable blowflex bench, a doorway pullup bar, a dip station, and a spin bike. I was able to fit the dumbells and bench in a closet, and the dip station/pullup bar in my bedroom. Spin bike in living room. This was in a highrise apartment.

My gym consisted of me putting some foam mats in my 6x6 kitchen, and a large mirror mounted across from me. I was able to do the following routine fairly easily.

Upper:
DB Bench - 3x8
DB Row - 3x8
DB Seated Press - 3x8
Weighted Pullups - 2x8
Weighted Dips - 2x8
Hammer Curls - 2x8
Skull Crushers - 2x8

Lower
DB Squats - 3x10
Unilateral Lunges - 3x10
DB Deadlifts - 3x10
Unilateral Stiff Legged Deadlifts - 3x10

I'll tell you, the upper workout was great, but I have never in my life had such an intense lower body workout. No amount of barbell squats or deadlifts had hit my legs that hard, I felt like vomiting nearly every time.

For cardio I would just get on the spin bike.

Granted, I would obviously prefer a gym, but it was really nice being able to just lift in my kitchen and blast music, and surf the internet on my laptop between sets. No commute, no waiting on other people, no germs, etc.