Solzhenitsyn Correctly Predicted the Decadent Collapse of America 40 Years Ago

Amwolf

“We cannot avoid revising the fundamental definitions of human life and human society. Is it true that man is above everything? Is there no Superior Spirit above him? Is it right that human life and society's activities have to be determined by material expansion in the first place? Is it permissible to promote such expansion to the detriment of our spiritual integrity?” - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Solzhenitsyn was a prophet. He's had more influence on my life than any other author I've read, and it's difficult for me to not quote him in every conversation I enter. I only wish he could have seen the good in the West the same way he could see the good in Russia, even under the Soviet yoke.

One thing many people don't know about Solzhenitsyn is his relationship with the Old Orthodox, the Russian Christians who had been persecuted by the established Church for their refusal to adopt Greek liturgical customs. In August of 1974, Metropolitan Philaret, the first hierarch of ROCOR, wrote to Solzhenitsyn asking how the Church abroad could help persecuted Christians in Russia. Solzhenitsyn responded with an essay begging him to end the schisms between Russian Orthodox in the US, especially the Old Orthodox. A month later, the synod of ROCOR lifted the anathemas against the old rite, opening the door for reunion.

People remember Solzhenitsyn mostly as a philosopher, but he was also a dedicated son of the Church.