Soulmates and the idea thereof...In Christianity?

pitbullowner

Pelican
I remember an old reddit Redpill forum post from 2013 that there no such thing as soulmates and that the idea of it was just all incentive to get men wrapped up in subverted idealistic romance. While being a romantic is a guys natural inclination... I've safeguarded my heart against illogical notions at this point.

I am curious as to the spiritual upgrade of how this forum has matured and what you guys consider as a realm of possibility/impossibility.

i personally don't believe in the idea of soulmates, But I do believe when you're mature enough through Gods Providence you'll have the discernment to pick out the right woman when the time comes along with you spiritual readiness, financial readiness, and physical readiness.

Tell me if this is spiritually selfish or something you could agree with. I'm reshaping a lot of my inner belief systems still due to the ever rapidly changing globalist world.

God bless

@mods
*move this to courtship and relationship thread of you'd prefer*

Rob Banks

Pelican
I don’t know about soul mates (i.e. the idea that everyone has exactly one specific person who they’re predestined to be with), but I know that Hollywood and pop culture purposely make the idea of true love seem corny and stupid so as to turn men away from it.

I even hesitate to use the term “true love” (or even just “love”) because of the sappy Hollywood connotations that term conveys. I find myself using terms like “deep spiritual connection” instead.

DenizenJane

Pigeon
I will tell you this... there's probably no such thing as soul mates, but there's plenty of matches made in hell that were never meant to work out. Think of some of the aristocratic daughter-dealing that they used to do in Europe. Some of them went fine, some of them it took the mother hinting at the murder of some bloke her daughter actually liked so they could proceed with the wedding of prince Whocares of Whateversbury.

My point isn't that casual dating is the way to go, its that thrusting any two people together to the point of a sham marriage is pretty insulting to the whole institution.

Matchmaking as a conversation is practically a taboo topic these days. But the rare times when you do hear people discuss it, they get all giddy- its weird. Maybe this classifies as gossip. I don't know.

I think you get a happy feeling talking about it because it was designed to be that way. You won't be making 'soul mates', but you might help prod a some of the unmated along.

Last edited:

AnonymousBosch

Crow
Gold Member
From what I remember, Romantic Love as a concept began to be popularized during the Georgian and Regency Period, and found particular favour with the Romantic Movement in the 1800's.

Before that, husbands were chosen for women by their Fathers, based on Reason - a Faculty of the Spiritual Soul, understanding they were the Spiritual and Bodily guardians of their daughters, and were passing that responsibility onto a man who was worthy of being the same.

Romantic Love is making the choice of partner based on Sensibility - a Faculty of the Animal Soul, where the Demonic is given permission by God to inflame the passions, leading people astray via making poor, unreasoned choices. A common thing I heard from Divorcees during the largely-successful 70's / 80's destruction of the nuclear family, was saying they married the first time for love, the second time for security, which is part of the reason why I had such contempt for adults.

Your protection against this is to crucify your passions, exactly as Jesus tells you to do.

Understand that this is nothing new: the 1811 Novel by Jane Austen, 'Sense and Sensibility' is about two Sisters, the elder, who acts on Reason to choose a match to provide for her widowed sisters and mother, whilst the younger chases Romantic Love, only to almost ruin her reputation but is saved towards the end by the King of Beta Bucks, of whom the social network would never dare criticize his choice of partner because $$$.

But, having said all that, you do have a soulmate. God.

Your eventual destination in the spiritual journey a wedding between the Soul and God in the very highest grade of prayer, and this is said to be the goal of our physical life, whether married, religious or single. You'll go through the Meditative Grades of Prayer into the Contemplative Grades, and, eventually, attain Union. Between Early Infused Contemplation and Union are the Spiritual Espousals.

Understand that I'm attempting to use Human Language to describe what is indescribable, as is the Common Understanding of attempting to talk about the Mystic States. I can only explain what I went through a couple of weeks back, none of which is outside the Catholic Church's understanding of the Higher Mystic states, and is beyond our sensible conception of male and female roles.

I was at Daily Adoration, and was suddenly pulled into The Prayer of Quiet, then... I was pulled into a kneeling position and held upright, without the usual balance issues I'd have in that position. Understand in the Prayer of Quiet you are experiencing what is known as the Ligature of the Limbs, meaning, your will has been captivated by God and you are unable to move your limbs at all because your will is no longer your own, meaning, if my body was moved, it was God's Will, as I would be incapable of moving on my own.

So, whilst kneeling, I understood that a proposal was made for a marriage, and I accepted, understanding that I have no conscious idea of it's tomorrow or twenty years from now, but know a date has been set and the engagement is on. With this, I'm being given engagement gifts, such as Spiritual, not Sensible Acts of Love that I wish I had the words to describe the intensity of, and it breaks my heart to realise how long I clung to the stupid little pleasures of the world and how deeply I thought I loved my pleasurable sins, having no idea of how vastly beyond our sensible conception of 'pleasure' the spiritual love of God is, and I could spend the rest of my life apologizing for my stupidity but even if I had a million lifetimes I couldn't even make one cent of reparation towards Our King. I simply beg everyone to understand the truth of what I'm saying: everything you give up for Him he will return to you a thousand fold, so be brave and bold in detaching from the world and crucifying every part of you that draws you away from him.

Since then, every time I walk down the aisle for Communion, I understand the deeper significance of what I'm doing. I'm approaching the Bridegroom, and, eventually, we'll become one.

The traditional Catholic understanding is that 'The Song of Songs' is a parable about every soul and their eventual marriage with God. St Bernard of Clairvaux's 4 volume 'Sermons on the Song of Songs' is the go-to Saint here.

Heh. I just understood the significance of my spiritual knowledge received on Divine Mercy Sunday. That my mother was no longer in Purgatory, and was being clothed and crowned and felt beautiful and loved for the first time in her entire life.

She too was about to walk down the aisle.

"Soul mates" can exist. Are souls conjoined into one in some weird abstract metaphysical manner? Who knows.
Can history/present/future exist without God? If God/Logos is behind all that happens now and ever - aren't all the "mates" your "soul mates"?
If Father decides to show me enough divine signs to satisfy my "God checks" and check all the prospects I seek in my romantic mate, who am I to argue with Him? Time is fleeting and one day unfortunately she can be my "soul mate" and the next not. What Grace Father can grant us or to people around us to help us praise and adore His will, can he also take away. Frankly the thought of us being able to question or worry about some concepts seem humanly selfish and without trust to the only thing driving time forward to begin with - God our Father. Surrender yourself to Logos and appreciate what you're given: be it a "soul mate" (From teenage years to death) or a dog. It's beyond our contemplation.

There's no such thing as a soulmate but there is God's plan for each specific person. His end goal for each specific individual is their salvation. Maybe God's plan for you is to be in a horrible marriage, because that's what it will take to soften your heart.

pitbullowner

Pelican
There's no such thing as a soulmate but there is God's plan for each specific person. His end goal for each specific individual is their salvation. Maybe God's plan for you is to be in a horrible marriage, because that's what it will take to soften your heart.

:hmm: :hmm: :rolleyes:

So you're in the belief that God should put a man through a trial where his aim is to have a Godly relationship with a woman and still have a terrible marriage... ?
what kind of logic is that and how does God work in providential ways like that on purpose? That sounds like a will of Satan... I guess I should say hypothetically speaking the man has a heart after God's like King David, and that he tries to be a true provider for the family he is fostering the growth of ,a patriarch and a masculine defender that protects the people he cares about.

With that being established ...is a soul mate an opportunity or something that we should seek or is it still kind of land of Hollywood make belief that was popularized by Disney sagas ?

I'm still very much in the camp of the latter and I don't believe there is a specific Soul that's going to be United to you and has been planned out for you ever since you're Inception but I am of the belief that there is a type of person for you out there... that God will mould and work out your inefficiencies as well as the other person that you're going to stumble across to have a union with Him

I do not believe in soul mate, but some couples I know have such a strong connection between them that they seem like brothers. THEY seem to live a life in harmony with a perfect harmony.
I think it is perfect when a woman submits to the man willingly and he also, something like being able to explore various skies and land by my side.

:hmm: :hmm: :rolleyes:

So you're in the belief that God should put a man through a trial where his aim is to have a Godly relationship with a woman and still have a terrible marriage... ?
what kind of logic is that and how does God work in providential ways like that on purpose? That sounds like a will of Satan... I guess I should say hypothetically speaking the man has a heart after God's like King David, and that he tries to be a true provider for the family he is fostering the growth of ,a patriarch and a masculine defender that protects the people he cares about.

With that being established ...is a soul mate an opportunity or something that we should seek or is it still kind of land of Hollywood make belief that was popularized by Disney sagas ?

I'm still very much in the camp of the latter and I don't believe there is a specific Soul that's going to be United to you and has been planned out for you ever since you're Inception but I am of the belief that there is a type of person for you out there... that God will mould and work out your inefficiencies as well as the other person that you're going to stumble across to have a union with Him
My opinion and preferences don't dictate the will of God. Each person has their own flaws and suffering helps us to repent from them.

God has salvation in mind for each of us. What's the alternative to salvation? God would rather you suffer now and wake up a bit than have you lost forever.

And how do we end up in bad marriages? Does God force us into them? Are we at gunpoint made to do it? No, we stupidly march into them. Sometimes it's a total blindside, but then that's your martyrdom. Your reward will be great if you endure. Such is the nature of this short time we have on earth.

One story to help elucidate what I'm talking about, a real story. A man prayed to God intensely for a wife that was beautiful and educated. He was granted his wish and even said that "in the beginning, I worshipped her more than God." The woman ended up becoming absolutely unbearable, and eventually the marriage completely lacked any amount of peace. In this case his error was idolatry, and God gave him exactly what he desired in order to wake him up.

With all that said if both partners dedicate themselves enough to God then after many trials and bearing the cross the marriage will become beautifully harmonious. Such is the highest blessing on earth.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
I remember an old reddit Redpill forum post from 2013 that there no such thing as soulmates and that the idea of it was just all incentive to get men wrapped up in subverted idealistic romance. While being a romantic is a guys natural inclination... I've safeguarded my heart against illogical notions at this point.

I am curious as to the spiritual upgrade of how this forum has matured and what you guys consider as a realm of possibility/impossibility.

i personally don't believe in the idea of soulmates, But I do believe when you're mature enough through Gods Providence you'll have the discernment to pick out the right woman when the time comes along with you spiritual readiness, financial readiness, and physical readiness.

Tell me if this is spiritually selfish or something you could agree with. I'm reshaping a lot of my inner belief systems still due to the ever rapidly changing globalist world.

God bless

@mods
*move this to courtship and relationship thread of you'd prefer*
I don't believe in soulmates. That's a sin of pride, to believe that you're destined for a "perfect" mate. No one is perfect, and no one is perfect for you. We do not get to taste perfection in this world except through Jesus Christ.

Where is the source of the "soulmate" idea today? Pop songs, secular female magazine articles, and modern left-wing Hollywood movies/TV shows. That should tip you off right there this is idea is both bull manure and also dangerous.

The belief in soulmates is both New Age mysticism and a secular idea that you can have a relationship with no problems or very minor ones, and therefore the right relationship does not take any work. Thus, it degrades marriage as a sacrament that takes work to be faithful to and to make work.

If a person believes in soulmmates, they have an easy out to bail, cheat, or get a divorce: "Well, we weren't haaaapy, or we were having problems, which means s/he wasn't my soulmate!" or "Yes, I cheated, but he's the one who broke up with me. If we were soulmates, he would have forgiven me. Therefore, its ok we broke up and ok that I cheated, we weren't soulmates!"

You see how the idea of believing in soulmates is dangerous to healthy marriages.

That said, God sends women into your life who would be good wives to you and good mothers. I blew a chance with a good woman in my college that I still kick myself over, although I know that I would not have been good for her (would have cheated, given my non-religious nature then), she was non-religious and fiercely (although naively) Democrat.

I pray God allows me to have another.

Last edited:

Er Miqué

Sparrow
About the soulmates thing I think it doesn't come to be but when you have spent a long time married with a woman establishing a deep link through such things as praying together and getting to know each other to a full level then you establish such a link. It's not that there's a woman somewhere out there just for you just as you want her, but that when rightfully marry according to God's will He will bless your marriage and allow you to connect with your woman to such extent you'll be soulmates: a couple not only joined through a legal status of marriage but through their spirit. I'd see that as the ideal marriage: something spiritual and beyond hormones and disney romanticism.

Whenever I have heard anyone reference the idea of "soulmate" in a positive manner, the idea always seemed to be that the other person was specifically made for you, and only you - the perfect match 'made in heaven', as the saying goes.

Interestingly, there was actually one such biblical occurrence of this:

Genesis 2:18, 21-24. - The first (and only) 'soulmate' marriage, directly created and performed by God himself.

Perhaps ^this^ lone/factual example is where everyone else has drawn their respective/incorrect "soulmate" concepts from?

About the soulmates thing I think it doesn't come to be but when you have spent a long time married with a woman establishing a deep link through such things as praying together and getting to know each other to a full level then you establish such a link. It's not that there's a woman somewhere out there just for you just as you want her, but that when rightfully marry according to God's will He will bless your marriage and allow you to connect with your woman to such extent you'll be soulmates: a couple not only joined through a legal status of marriage but through their spirit. I'd see that as the ideal marriage: something spiritual and beyond hormones and disney romanticism.
So God doesn't create "Soulmates"; that happens afterward, with the continual bonding actions of the couple. Beautifully expressed, sir.

Mark 10:7-9

Last edited:

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I agree with the people attributing such notions to God's will.

Spiritual legalists will use the concept to come up with all kinds of ways to ruin their own life and the lives of others. "I missed my chance with (x). She was my soulmate. Now all I can do is stalk her relentlessly because I will never be happy with anyone else anyway", or some such nonsense.

God has a plan for us and sometimes we screw it up, but he often gives us second and third chances. I think most of us can remember at least one girl in our past who we discarded at the time for petty and sinful reasons but who, looking back, ticked every (non-sinful) box we now seek. Most of us could have been happily married by 18 if we didn't lead such dysfunctional lives in such a dysfunctional society.

So God scraps plan A and gives you plan B, and if He's feeling really generous maybe even plan C.

infowarrior1

Hummingbird
I agree with the people attributing such notions to God's will.

Spiritual legalists will use the concept to come up with all kinds of ways to ruin their own life and the lives of others. "I missed my chance with (x). She was my soulmate. Now all I can do is stalk her relentlessly because I will never be happy with anyone else anyway", or some such nonsense.

God has a plan for us and sometimes we screw it up, but he often gives us second and third chances. I think most of us can remember at least one girl in our past who we discarded at the time for petty and sinful reasons but who, looking back, ticked every (non-sinful) box we now seek. Most of us could have been happily married by 18 if we didn't lead such dysfunctional lives in such a dysfunctional society.

So God scraps plan A and gives you plan B, and if He's feeling really generous maybe even plan C.
I am sure if Adam and Eve passed the test. That Humanity would have been glorified once they reached a certain number.

Its not as if God would be lost if Adam and Eve didn't fail.