Space X

My opinion of Elon Musk wavers back and forth. Right now I am rooting for him.

It is remarkable how one person can set his mind on starting a rocket company and actually achieve in sending men into space. You can argue that he has the money to hire the best rocket scientists, but in the end him, one man, was responsible for pushing it through. Space X even beat out Boeing in the race to manned space mission even though Boeing has years of aerospace experience. Everything, financing, management, technology have to all come together to pull off a project of this magnitude.

I was annoyed by Starlink. I felt it is creating trash and debris in the lower earth orbit. He wants to put 12,000 satellites into orbit. Imagine the amount of junk floating in space. They also obscure astronomers who want to observe the stars.

I was also put off by the amount of carbon emission from each rocket launch. But upon further research, I found out that each rocket launch uses only as much fuel as a transcontinental 747 flight, and produces the same amount of carbon foot print. That's remarkable. According to Elon, he can get each rocket launch to the same cost as a transcontinental flight. So as much as I am irritated by Starlink, it is a means to an end. It will bring in the necessary income for Space X to fund their ultimate mission to Mars.

Although he can be an idiot clown at times with his tweets and crazy girlfriends, Elon's ability to accomplish these mega projects is just incredible. Building giga factory in China in 1 years?! Most of us spend a decade deciding whether we are going to quit our job and start a small business.

bucky

Pelican
I don't believe there will ever be a successful manned mission to Mars. The distances involved and the various technical challenges seem too much to overcome. Landing a spacecraft softly enough through the thin Martian atmosphere so that you don't kill the astronauts, the radiation levels, a lot of other things I'm forgetting. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

KingDavid

Sparrow
Watching the launch I couldn't help but think it was a ritual of worship of technology. These missions have no purpose other than to give hope to those who believe in that false god, and if you listen to Musk himself he'll tell you that you're in a computer simulation before acknowledging the afterlife.

There's nothing wrong with technology but it's a servant, nothing more.

Some of the challenges can be overcome with brute force and money, while others are more difficult.

I foresee multiple 10-20 or more unmanned mission to mars first. The unmanned mission will drop off sufficient fuel for the return trip, supplies for a temporary colony. There will also be a lot of remote robotic construction of the housing facility on mars. All these are doable with current technology if we have enough money.

The thin atmosphere is not an issue with Space X rockets. I am sure they plan to land the rocket vertically using propellant method. It will not be any kind of parachute. This way the rocket will be ready for the return trip.

The biggest issue is radiation. The long term affect of cancer will not impact the journey, however there are possible immediate neurological affects of high dose radiation. And I also cannot foresee a spaceship anymore than 1/10 the size of the space station. That is one tiny, claustrophobic space for an 8 month journey and back. So many things can go wrong. I can see some kind of VR technology that allow the astronauts to take virtual trip to an open space for some exercise. Might also need some psych meds to get through all this.

It will be one heck of a journey that's for sure.

Jeff Bezos is supposedly a hardcore proponent of space industrialization and colonization. And so I keep wondering when he will put his money where his mouth is, and make his vision a reality. He definitely has more resources than Elon Musk...

Competition is good. It will spark innovation. Right now Musk is ahead of Bezos and probably will be for the next decade. But once Bezos is tired of making money at Amazon and really pour his resources into Blue Origin, the playing field may change.

Keep in mind though, $100 billion in terms of investment in space exploration is really pocket change. The Apollo program cost about $150 billion in todays money. In that regard I still have to give Musk and his team credit for their ingenuity in having done so much with so little.

I wonder how much humanitarian work could be done with the "space exploration" money. Doesn't seem very Christlike for one to go on joyrides through space when they could be providing necessities for those that need them. Not saying he doesn't give money at all to charity, but there is a clear discrepancy between the long term impact for Christ humanitarian work has vs space exploration.

kel

Pelican
Humanitarian work has been happening for ages and largely seems to be at best a black hole and at worst a grift operation for middle men to wet their beaks.

IMO the only charity worth a damn is when you give a helping hand to your fellow man in your community because you know him to be an honorable man who will pay it forward. Anything involving writing a check to some organization is just buying an indulgence.

estraudi

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Watching the launch I couldn't help but think it was a ritual of worship of technology. These missions have no purpose other than to give hope to those who believe in that false god, and if you listen to Musk himself he'll tell you that you're in a computer simulation before acknowledging the afterlife.

There's nothing wrong with technology but it's a servant, nothing more.

The whole history of mankind is in utilizing his inborn pioneering traits to conquer the world around him. Only this time now that the earth has been conquered he will focus on the WORLDS around him.

I see nothing wrong with that. Look how decadent we've become as humans. We have jackshit to do. Why not space? Nothing but the space frontier is staring us in the face begging us to go out there and discover our universe. To not do so would be like me telling you that you can't go travelling around the world or visiting places because that has no purpose other that giving hope to you that you may find a happy place or a false god elsewhere. No?

I am raising my son to have an active interest in science, astronomy, telescopes, transformers movies and the really good sci-fi flicks so that when he's older and making moves in the science/tech world it will no longer be called sci-fi but sci-reality. This seems to fit his natural disposition to exploring and doing it happier than a pig in shit. For if I bring up astrology and his birth sign(Sagittarius) you would understand that this type of person is driven to explore and soon he will hopefully explore more than this world, MANY worlds. And by the time he's an adult(16yrs from now) who knows what tech will be invented or be being invented to help not only him but mankind, reach these lofty goals we humans like to set for ourselves.

Elon Musk is definitely doing very impressive work. The launch of the manned Space X shuttle, while the US was burned down by savages, was extremely symbolic.

It shows directly the choice that mankind has. Towards the light or to crawl in the shadows. This is a real choice.

I'm also absolutely convinced that NASA has been failing due to SJW bs and affirmative action. Space X launch was all heritage america. No need for H1Bs or hidden figures.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Elon Musk is definitely doing very impressive work. The launch of the manned Space X shuttle, while the US was burned down by savages, was extremely symbolic.

It shows directly the choice that mankind has. Towards the light or to crawl in the shadows. This is a real choice.

I'm also absolutely convinced that NASA has been failing due to SJW bs and affirmative action. Space X launch was all heritage america. No need for H1Bs or hidden figures.
How ironic that Musk himself is an African American.

NASA itself was never failing. Tons of women and POC work at companies like SpaceX. It's not 1969 anymore. The President and Chief Operating Officer of SpaceX is a woman (Gwynne Shotwell). Apparently, she is one of the few people who can put up with Musk's constant bullshit.

I'm Latino and I started working in the aerospace industry in 1997, mostly designing and building geosynchronous telecommunications satellites. Back then there were hardly any minorities in aerospace. There were more women but not a huge number. Today there are lots of women and minorities in aerospace. I started to notice this in the mid-to-late 2000's when I started seeing more and more young women in the hallway (a lot of them legit good looking, too, Hahaha).

Last edited:

questor70

Ostrich
I wonder how much humanitarian work could be done with the "space exploration" money.
Well, given how much Bill Gates has been demonized I'd say you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Yes. Space flight, manned space flight in particular, is a symbol of successful teamwork, something the country sorely needs.

The crazy thing is how chronically mismanaged Tesla is, despite its stock flying high.

I don't know why SpaceX seems to run so much smoother than Tesla but it is.

That being said, the one universal constant is Musk's willingness to risk lives by using humans as beta-testers. With Tesla it's autopilot and with SpaceX it's with astronauts.

At this point it's safe to say that the Falcon 9 is a Smithsonian grade piece of engineering. A real game-changer. The Starship, however, is very different from Falcon 9. SpaceX might be better off trying to execute Mars missions with a series of Falcon Heavy launches because it's now a tried and true architecture. But everything about the Starship is experimental and I have my doubts it will work. Musk is way too optimistic and naive. If you trial and error your way through a manned space program a lot of people are gonna die.

Lots of smart women and smart minorities.

Can't hire them because they are women or minorities though. Just one affirmative action hire destroys the feeling of belonging to excellence.

I get the impression that Musk does not pander and that's why he succeeds.

Rob Banks

Pelican
There's nothing wrong with technology...
Competition is good. It will spark innovation...
The whole history of mankind is in utilizing his inborn pioneering traits to conquer the world around him. Only this time now that the earth has been conquered he will focus on the WORLDS around him.

I see nothing wrong with that...

estraudi

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Rob Banks, concerning my quote I don't get what you're trying to say by just posting a link to a post I've already read.

As for me I never claimed tech is my religion nor my sons. It would be disingenuous to stifle where our discussions in this thread were headed because you decided to drop the godpill on us as if that's going to be the end all to what beliefs we have for what frontier mankind now wants to explore.

And if that's what you intend to dispute then ok, I'll play.
Think of colonizing space(hence taking our human beliefs & religion with us) as all the myriad groups of evangelicals who head deep into 3rd world forests to show them the historicity of the Bible. Space-X will now be that group of evangelicals spreading the gospel but boy did they need an abundance of tech and wizardry science to be able to reach those in the deep and far away forests of distant planets in distant star systems to show those beings the good book they've been missing out on.

You know, there was a time Galileo had to stand trial for his beliefs about the earth revolving around the sun. For simply stating facts that at the time were deemed heretical.
What if this thread is completely heretical now and into the future? Shall me and my boy pack our rags and get imprisoned for exercising our free will to explore our universe?
Again, by that logic, you shouldn't be exploring anything around your neighborhood either because as an introverted recluse I find it heretical for people to leave their dwellings therefore they should not leave their dwelling lest they aquire the wrath of god for having those beliefs.

questor70

Ostrich
there was a time Galileo had to stand trial for his beliefs about the earth revolving around the sun. For simply stating facts that at the time were deemed heretical.
You do realize there's a flat earth thread here where the theory is actually taken seriously, right?

You do realize there's a flat earth thread here where the theory is actually taken seriously, right?
And Roosh closed it, most likely out of embarrassment! :p

But from what I saw of the thread, they were discussing/debating if the Bible really did teach that the Earth was flat. And not so much if the Earth actually was flat.