Speed dating? Yes or No? Advice.

Edelweiss

Sparrow
Hey guys,

with all the populace masked outside, social life dead...meeting women has become nigh impossible.
I always courted women during the day: buying groceries, at busy malls...but this is currently not possible.

A friend told me about this speed dating event happening in town and that we should got for fun.
However, because of the "sanitary situation", it will be online.

I am sceptical of such events, more importantly, I don't like online dating - even if in this case it will be a live chat - and prefer to meet a woman in a normal day.
But, I am also a curious person and up for fun stuff.

This leads me to my question: do any of you have experience in such events? Would you try it? Any advice?

Cheers!

surfdog

Sparrow
I was outside today and I talked to some cute woman who was out walking her dogs. Neither one of us had a mask on. We talked for around 10 minutes. Imagine the stories you will be able to tell your grandkids that you and grandma met during a pandemic when everyone else was hiding inside. Telling them you met at a "virtual speed dating sanitary situation": Nope.

Lionheart

Sparrow
The only guys who ever benefited from speed dating were the top 5% in looks. It is a meat market and if you aren't the prime cut over everyone else you get thrown away. If you want success with women you want to separate yourself from the herd, not join it. There are still churches meeting with many of them having groups for singles in the congregation and women usually outnumber men in churches.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
First of all, why can't you talk to women during the day?

Second, speed dating is kind of fun.

A friend of mine was dating a girl who had speed dating as a side hustle. She would charge people a small fee and get them into a bar for an afternoon of fun. The bars would not charge, as they were slow during this time and would make some decent money on the bar. She was always desperate for men, so once in a while we would help her out.

I enjoyed it a lot, actually. The quality was certainly lower than I would generally find (I too always met women in public). But most were pretty fun and often just shy. Otherwise they would probably have made pretty good girlfriends. And once in a while there would be a few very attractive girls who were new to town and just looking to be social.

If you do go for it, talk to the organizer first. If they give you the vibe that they are #metoo don't do it. A lot of the fun from speed dating is the quick riff that happens. You get pretty good at the 'elevator pitch' and often crossing the polite line gets the best results - certainly the most fun!

But back to #1. Just approach attractive women on the streets. There are a lot of very lonely women out there right now, and after 7 months of manic online life many just want to grab a hold of the real world again. I was approached by an attractive woman today with a classic Roosh 'Elderly Ramble'. I chatted with her a bit and it was nice, but when she started pushing a bit I backed off. I also find that times I have started casual conversations with women its gone great, certainly better than pre covid.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
If you're on an app it wastes alot of your time , and the chicks seem to always want a video call or two beforehand anyways.

Why not just schedule it in and see how it goes. It'll be a couple hours and you can have some online chats and maybe meet someone.

I've never actually done it. Online I think will be a little easier as you don't have to leave the house, but it will be harder to assess chemistry.

GWYW2015

Woodpecker
I did speed dating a couple of times many years ago and thought it was a good idea. But you only get limited time, maybe 10 minutes or less to ask her questions. It's nice to see them face to face and form an impression, but I didn't find anyone appealing to choose from.

Edelweiss

Sparrow
Many good answers there, thanks.

I was going to sign up just for the fun of it, and talked to the organiser. This is where I decided to let go: too pricey, you don't get any info about the girls before (Pics, age...)...so a potential waste of time and money.

GWYW2015

Woodpecker
Many good answers there, thanks.

I was going to sign up just for the fun of it, and talked to the organiser. This is where I decided to let go: too pricey, you don't get any info about the girls before (Pics, age...)...so a potential waste of time and money.
Good points. I figured I would try it once just in case, but you don't know anything at all about them and only a very short time to find out.
You need to have your notes prepared with questions to ask, but if you aren't attracted at all, you can just make small talk until the bell rings to move on to the next one. It's bad though when you look around to survery and can't find anyone you are attracted to. Gulp.

stugatz

Pelican
I'd see speed dating as a serious prospect if women didn't have so many other options these days. Sure, if it's quick and short, though - why not? (I'm chuckling right now, because that movie 40 Year Old Virgin had a great portrayal of speed dating - it wasn't taken seriously even back in 2005.)

I'd say that a man has a better chance meeting women if he takes up something like swing dancing and gets decent to good at it. You're demonstrating higher value there. Or karaoke. Some kind of central event you can all have in common. (Trivia, no, people tend to retreat into their teams and not want to talk as much.)

Cervantes

Woodpecker
I tried speed dating a few years ago. It was fun, sort of. But all the women were fugs.

Any reasonably attractive woman gets more than enough attention online. These structured in-person events seem to get the kind of women who are low enough on the attractiveness scale that online doesn't work for them.

It might be different in some highly curated speed dating event.

A tip: At these events all the women will choose the same 2 guys out of the 20 there. If you go and get positive matches with half the women, then cancel the speed dating. At the next event the organizers will call and ask you if you want to do it at no cost. Don't ask me how I know.

nicolahcm

Pigeon
But back to #1. Just approach attractive women on the streets. There are a lot of very lonely women out there right now, and after 7 months of manic online life many just want to grab a hold of the real world again. I was approached by an attractive woman today with a classic Roosh 'Elderly Ramble'. I chatted with her a bit and it was nice, but when she started pushing a bit I backed off. I also find that times I have started casual conversations with women its gone great, certainly better than pre covid.

Approaching women on streets for being lonely and in a lustful state might be dangerous for yourself. It's just a little boundary and you start indulging over: "hey I could talk with this other beautiful woman, what's wrong after all? And with this and that and the other one. It's an innocent thing after all ..." . While lusting over to their bodies.

Not saying that you shouldn't talk with women in the streets at all. You could even find your future wife in this way. You should first set things right in your mind. Otherwise everything becomes "innocent" and a bit takes you to another place.

GrantGrace

Chicken
I tried speed dating after a breakup with my boyfriend last summer. It was a very difficult breakup because of his cheating. When I found out about it, I didn't really understand what to do after cheating. But after much thought, I realized that I could not forgive his betrayal. I was very bad and my friends came up with different things for me to do. Speed dating was my best friend's idea and I'm very grateful to her for it. It was a lot of fun and helped me relax. I don't think you can really find a long-term relationship on such dates, but as a way to communicate with different people, it's great.

Last edited: