Sport leagues and players fighting 'systematic racism'

Thomas More

Hummingbird
I am at a bar, where they have a hockey game on. They had all the players standing while the national anthem was sang from a flag bedazzled stage. I thought this seemed pretty good!

Unfortunately, they followed with the athletes remaining standing while some other song was sang, which I guess must have been the so called 'black national anthem'.

I hope $1 billion is lost for this incident alone.

BLM is being treated as gospel when in fact it's just a biomarxist dogma akin to some Stalin stooge screaming something about the evil bourgeoisie which pretty much encompassed almost everyone who was a cut above dirt-poor. Now it's everyone who is white and christian.
Interesting, about 5 years ago the NBA signed a new giant TV contract due to rating surges in Europe and China. I wonder if the viewership droppage is reflected in Europe and China as well. If so, and if this doesn't reverse soon, then they will have to slash the NBA TV contracts and as a result these pampered athletes will see their bloated salaries crash back down to earth. I certainly hope so.

The salaries were so bloated an above average player like Mike Conley Jr. signed a contract just after this new deal worth nearly $30 million per year. Yes, you heard that correct, a guy in the NBA you maybe never head of is making $30 million per year. There is no way this can continue if their ratings are crashing.

Yes, you heard that correct, a guy in the NBA you maybe never head of is making $30 million per year. T
and will still end up bankrupt within five years of leaving. I wonder how many of their 'agents' end up giving them bad advice and getting them into debt, huge management fees, etc.

I wonder if the viewership droppage is reflected in Europe and China as well.
I am hoping it is part of a permanent trend. While some form of spectator sport has always been popular - there were actually huge martial combat tournaments in the late middle ages - - the type we're seeing now is usually only associated with decadent empire.

homersheineken

Woodpecker
NBA ratings for the Finals LOWEST EVER, TWICE! :squintlol::squintlol:

NBA Finals Ratings Crash Again, Reaching Back-to-Back Historic Lows

Instead of a methodical seven game march towards an NBA championship, the 2020 NBA Finals have turned into a methodical march to the historic depths of television watching futility.

Game 1 of the Finals brought with it the lowest viewership since 1994, and Game 2 was the lowest ever on record. But wait! That was before Game 3, which beat out Game 2 by becoming the least watched Finals game in NBA history.

Game 2 earned a paltry 4.5 million viewers, while Game 3 submarined that number by peaking at 4.395 million. Mind you, this is a nearly 70% decline from last year’s Finals numbers which included a team from Canada. Not only that, unlike this year’s audience, last year’s audience was not on lockdown and did not include the game’s best player, LeBron James.

As Breitbart’s Warner Todd Huston reports:

This horrific collapse should not be surprising after polls have found that many fans now believe that basketball is far too political.
A Sept. 2 Harris poll found that 39 percent of respondent who identified as sports fans felt that the league was too political. And another 19 percent said that they had turned off pro basketball because of the NBA’s deep links to China.
The 2020 post-COVID season launched with the heavy-handed presence of the anti-American Black Lives Matter agenda.
And the BLM agenda stayed as a constant throughout the duration of the season. While LeBron James makes more than enough money to offset the ratings hit his league will take from his social justice activism, the vast majority of the league is not nearly as financially able to do so. A factor which should make for some very interesting player meetings and union meetings before the next collective bargaining session.

BoiBoi

Kingfisher
I have played basketball for 25 years and counting. MJ and Dirk were my role models. I used to watch a bunch of NBA every season and never missed a game during the finals.
Now, for the first time in years, I haven't watched a single game of the finals and canceled my NBA subscription.
This phony woke show is just unbearable to watch. Millionaires lecturing me about privilege, yeah right. I watch sports to relax with a couple of friends and not to have politics stuffed in my face.

estraudi

Kingfisher
Gold Member
GAME 3 AN EVEN LARGER LOSS IN RATINGS THAN GAME 1 & 2!!!!
"black lives don't matter our ratings matter". Sad how fast these libs change their core beliefs when the $ is effected.
Chimphoop Monkeydunk is done for. People don't like social movements being shoved into sports, who would have thought!

JiggyLordJr

Woodpecker
So after letting it have the spotlight during the opening weekend, the NHL has put the Hockey Diversity Alliance on full ignore.

Are ”Black and Brown people” unable to pick up a hockey stick of their own volition? Would they not seek out the sport themselves if they were interested in playing? I’m not seeing the point of this organization - the HDA - to get particular group interested in a particular sport. People seek their own hobbies, no need to force it on anybody.

Yatagan

Pelican
Gold Member
Are ”Black and Brown people” unable to pick up a hockey stick of their own volition? Would they not seek out the sport themselves if they were interested in playing? I’m not seeing the point of this organization - the HDA - to get particular group interested in a particular sport. People seek their own hobbies, no need to force it on anybody.
Well, when you believe in blank slate theory and egalitarianism, then clearly the reason why there aren't more blacks and browns playing hockey is because of "systemic racism". It's just like with all the vanity projects about getting more women into certain careers.

Blitz

Sparrow
Up here in Canada the narrative is that because hockey is so expensive (new equipment every year or two, $1000 likely) we need to subsidize black and brown kids into playing hockey. Nearly every black person in Canada is a recent African immigrant or a bit of a legacy Caribbean immigrant (small population of slaves escaped from US and descendants been here for 150 or so years, tiny population of pre-Canada African slaves). There's obviously nothing that every African kid wants to do more than gosh darnit strap knives to their shoes and slide around this ice they're so familiar with.

Our immigrants only care about soccer and I guess basketball; now we have to pretend soccer is cool as our minor league soccer has become the second or third featured sport on the sports channels because the ratings and interest are being driven up by the flood of soccer playing immigrants.

What's really going on with the diversity alliance is the hockey gods in Canada see which way the demographic winds are blowing and are desperate to get Africans and Middle Eastern kids into hockey so the funding train keeps rolling their way. In 30 years the excellence of Gordie Howe, Gretzky, Lemieux and Crosby will be a memory replaced by mediocre soccer players.