Starting and Growing a Successful Business

Gringuito

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Krusyos said:
As someone in the process of the college search, do you have any advice for me while I am in college? I want to, like most of us here, become location independent and well off.

There are tons of opportunities in college. You should be looking for a professor to mentor you. I was very lucky to find a great one in grad school that really helped. The right one may have research projects you can work on (slave labor) to get experience. It's much easier to get hired if you've already worked on a project for a company. I was also working my way through college to help pay the bills.

You'll naturally find like minded people as you go through college. But remember that your first year is the weeding out period. Don't let yourself waste time with people that will be flunking out or changing majors. You'll be tempted to party every night if you're living on campus. Try to hold off for the first semester while you get acclimated to college life.

It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing what degree you're interested in.

Gringuito said:
Krusyos said:
As someone in the process of the college search, do you have any advice for me while I am in college? I want to, like most of us here, become location independent and well off.

There are tons of opportunities in college. You should be looking for a professor to mentor you. I was very lucky to find a great one in grad school that really helped. The right one may have research projects you can work on (slave labor) to get experience. It's much easier to get hired if you've already worked on a project for a company. I was also working my way through college to help pay the bills.

You'll naturally find like minded people as you go through college. But remember that your first year is the weeding out period. Don't let yourself waste time with people that will be flunking out or changing majors. You'll be tempted to party every night if you're living on campus. Try to hold off for the first semester while you get acclimated to college life.

It's hard to give more specific advice without knowing what degree you're interested in.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about a Bachelor's in either Entrepreneurship, Business Admin, or International Business.

BasketBounce

Woodpecker
OP makes a statement about learning investments early.

They say the best teacher is experience. Would the experts here say working for an investment firm is the best way to learn how to invest wisely? Yes, there are a ton of books out there but at the end of the day reading is and investing are two different things.

Gringuito

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Krusyos said:
I was thinking about a Bachelor's in either Entrepreneurship, Business Admin, or International Business.

International business would be nice, do you speak any other languages? Being location independent is a goal many in the anglosphere have.

Gringuito

Woodpecker
Gold Member
BasketBounce said:
OP makes a statement about learning investments early.

They say the best teacher is experience. Would the experts here say working for an investment firm is the best way to learn how to invest wisely? Yes, there are a ton of books out there but at the end of the day reading is and investing are two different things.

I never worked for an investment firm exactly. I do private equity investments but I learned by owning companies and investing my own money. I invest my money more for wealth preservation then for appreciation. I make my money elsewhere.