Stock Market thread

NoMoreTO

Pelican
RE: 2017 Stock Market thread

I sold 3 positions today. Increasing cash.

Corona hasn't taken a dollar out of the market. It's gotta be a risk if it becomes widespread.

Plus we are just bloated.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
gework said:
Anybody have tips for assets to hold for recession?
Cash is often a good bet, because you can buy stuff for dirt cheap when everyone is selling. Although not quite the same as a simple recession, go back and determine which stocks and sectors did the best during the 2008 financial panic. As a general rule, pick items, often inexpensive items, that people cannot or will not give up (food, clothing, alcohol, medical devices, etc.). See this article for a hint:

Stocks that have proven themselves recession-proof:

To review, these are seven of the best stocks to buy in preparation for a recession:

Hasbro (HAS)
Ross Stores (ROST)
Walmart (WMT)
Amgen (AMGN)
Anheuser Busch Inbev (BUD)
H&R Block (HRB)
Dollar Tree (DLTR)
https://money.usnews.com/investing/slideshows/7-stocks-that-soar-in-a-recession

I am not sure about Hasbro, but all the others make perfect sense.

white22

Sparrow
Tail Gunner said:
gework said:
Anybody have tips for assets to hold for recession?
Cash is often a good bet, because you can buy stuff for dirt cheap when everyone is selling. Although not quite the same as a simple recession, go back and determine which stocks and sectors did the best during the 2008 financial panic. As a general rule, pick items, often inexpensive items, that people cannot or will not give up (food, clothing, alcohol, medical devices, etc.). See this article for a hint:

Stocks that have proven themselves recession-proof:

To review, these are seven of the best stocks to buy in preparation for a recession:

Hasbro (HAS)
Ross Stores (ROST)
Walmart (WMT)
Amgen (AMGN)
Anheuser Busch Inbev (BUD)
H&R Block (HRB)
Dollar Tree (DLTR)
https://money.usnews.com/investing/slideshows/7-stocks-that-soar-in-a-recession

I am not sure about Hasbro, but all the others make perfect sense.
I don't know how recession-proof HAS is, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting into it at a discount. They're selling out preorders on Baby Yoda toys especially the animatronic. They should have a few good quarters on that alone, look at what BY did for Build a Bear.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
HASBRO has been reckless with their spending on their quest to become an "entertainment media" company. The E1 deal was garbage.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
white22 said:
BB1 said:
jbkunt2 said:
@BB1 - MDB and AYX have been absolute smash hits. Thank you very much for the tips. Have you got your eye on any new positions for 2020?

Thanks again.
No worries. AYX, MDB and others I have recommended here like SHOP and TTD are some of the most exciting publicly traded companies in the world. It is really hard to find other companies of such high quality with little meaningful competition. So when they pulled back in Oct/Nov I was backing up the truck. AYX is up 75% in the past 4 months.

Companies I will be looking at in 2020 are Snowflake, Robinhood and Github who are all expected to IPO this year.
@BB1 Are you still bullish on Robinhood with nearly every brokerage going to no fees? I do realize there is a whole mass of investor who enjoy RH's simplicity, who continue to use for that reason. Also, those using it for cash management and to avoid 65¢ option fees. I also see many new investors dumping RH as they become more seasoned. Or does it all come down to their evaluation?
My guess is that people leave robinhood as they currently don't have a cash management option in full release. Cash earns nothing while it sits with them and to move it out to another platform you are stuck without it for however long it takes to transfer back in to the platform.

godzilla

Pelican
Cash earns 1.8% on robinhood at the moment. Regardless, Robinhood is really easy to use compared to a few other online brokers. I have schwab acct which is also good though

jbkunt2

Woodpecker
Anyone buying this correction?

I think there is legitimate reason to be worried for this year, but my time scale is 10 years plus so I am happy to put money in off of highs.

I've been fairly aggressive this last week. Holding some cash to put in for the next 5% drop(s).

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
jbkunt2 said:
Anyone buying this correction?

I think there is legitimate reason to be worried for this year, but my time scale is 10 years plus so I am happy to put money in off of highs.

I've been fairly aggressive this last week. Holding some cash to put in for the next 5% drop(s).
Not to be a buzzkill, but tomorrow is the end of the investment month -- and the Ivy Portfolio signal may go negative. Of course, there is always the possibility of a whipsaw. Just something to consider. See post number 1818 for more information.

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-74643-post-2062124.html?highlight=portfolio#pid2062124

kel

Kingfisher
I just got back in the market and a lot of it is down, just my luck. I did buy NVAX a week or so ago, which is up, but I didn't put much in it compared to what I have elsewhere.

Investing is (mostly) a long-term game, though. I'm not really an active trader, I just ride it out.

It’s more than a correction, since entire companies have been interrupted by Coronavirus to the point where they can’t function. The market was due for a correction but this is correction + global event, so it’s a little different than the usual “buying the dip” depending on which companies you’re talking about.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
MichaelWitcoff said:
It’s more than a correction, since entire companies have been interrupted by Coronavirus to the point where they can’t function. The market was due for a correction but this is correction + global event, so it’s a little different than the usual “buying the dip” depending on which companies you’re talking about.
Some heavy-hitters agree. Noted economist Mohamed El-Erian said this several weeks ago, on February 5th:

“For a long time I thought the market sentiment was so strong that we could overcome a mounting list of economic uncertainty,” El-Erian said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” program. “But the coronavirus is different. It is big. It’s going to paralyze China. It’s going to cascade throughout the global economy.

“Importantly, it cannot be countered by central bank policy. So I think we should pay more attention to this, and we should try and resist our inclination to buy the dip.”
https://moneyandmarkets.com/mohamed...dium=Email&utm_campaign=Daily-Article-Traffic

NoMoreTO

Pelican
I've been unloading. Sold all the following positions recently. I am over 50% cash so I am going to stop now I think.

Name & Date Sold
Latin America 40 ETF 06-Feb
Johnson & Johnson 05-Feb
Zero Hedged Bonds ETF 24-Feb
Scotia Bank 24-Feb
BMO International Div ETF 24-Feb
Vanguard FTSE Dev ETF 25-Feb
BMO 26-Feb
DIJA ETF 28-Feb

I also reduced a lot of positions last year so have been missing the recent bump in prices...which hurt a little. Until now.

Emancipator

Hummingbird
Gold Member
It was clear when China went full shutdown mode that markets were going to go to shit, there was a month heads up.

Sold out weeks prior of most positions (decided not to incur the tax hit from selling holdings outside of registered accounts, most nearly a decade of ownership, not paying you Trudeau !!!) surprisingly holding well for remaining positions not sold (speculative picks, tech and biotech)

It looks like people are holding cash or shorting? Even the safe havens (gold ect) are dropping.

Either way I'm likely not to try to time the bottom, individual purchases that passes the eye test, otherwise I'll wait for the presidential election outcome.

Short near/long term Canada

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
Emancipator said:
I recommended Inovio and Gilead.

What do I get? Molson ? :lol:
Those are two that I bought big

Ive got no plans to go to Israel but do go to Hawaii from time to time. Lets meet at Kona's and Ill buy you your own truck

kel

Kingfisher
Still worth maybe buying CODX, Inovio, etc? Making money on NVAX, would like to make more elsewhere obviously but also don't want to be buying Bitcoin at 19k.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Emancipator said:
Even the safe havens (gold ect) are dropping.
Yep, investors are de-leveraging. Even gold and BitCoin dropped. It happened in 2008, too. Gold will have its day, just not now.

Investors rushed to sell the precious metal to generate cash to cover losses in the stock market, which continued to plunge on rampant worries about the spread of COVID-19 epidemic and its effect on the global economy, analysts said.

“Investors absolutely see gold as a safe-haven, but the yellow metal is now succumbing to deleveraging pressure,” said Peter Grant, vice president of precious metals at Zaner Metals. “This is when investors sell profitable positions to raise cash during a market rout. Frequently the cash is used to cover margin calls in other markets.”
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/g...ars-fail-to-spur-safe-haven-buying-2020-02-28

BTW: The monthly Ivy Portfolio signal went to cash today. See post 2163.

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-74643-post-2063077.html?highlight=portfolio#pid2063077