Stock Market thread

jbkunt2

Woodpecker
@BB1

Has the recent turmoil changed your thesis on the likes of AYX, TTD and MDB in the long term at all? Do you think this is a good opportunity to load up?

Cheers.

void

Pelican
Don't know how aware the analysts are, but there are and will be more manufacturing shutdowns coming in all affected countries. Don't see the bottom yet.

jbkunt2

Woodpecker
I'm buying a bit every day.

You will never time the bottom. It's dropped around 30%. That seems a great entry point to me if you are in this for 3, 5, 10, 30 years...

joost

Kingfisher
@void and @jbkunt2

I think you both are right.

Positive side:
I see blue chips that pay good dividends and if you take Dividend Aristocrats or even Dividend Kings, they're paying a huge dividend. And after paying consistently for so many decades (from 25 to 50), they will do what's possible to maintain the dividend during a bad quarter o even a year (years for energy stocks like Exxon and Chevron).

Negative side:
Plenty of layoffs, people wanting government to bail them out, government bailing everything. Not good for long term.
Price/Earnings still very high for most of the blue chip companies.

Since nobody can predict the bottom, I will continue to buy on the way down. This time way more slowly.

Johnnyvee

Pelican
Silver seems like a good opportunity at the moment. I`m holding on a bit though, as I expect it go below 10 soon. But it`s sure to go up 50-70% from current values eventually...if you have time to wait. (Not being leveraged is key obviously.)

I think JB has the right attitude here. Nobody can time the bottom of a correction or bear market perfectly, at least not consistently over time, so if you’re in it for the long haul then just buying on sale and holding for years seems like the best approach.

I’m not buying any more silver at the moment but I’m also not selling a single ounce. I didn’t buy it to trade, I bought it to hedge against a potential collapse of fiat currency and a temporary drop in price doesn’t affect that plan.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
I went fully cash last Monday. I got into Silver today. Also bought a little physical which I will have to pick up.

I'm currently about 25% Silver, with the rest split beween USD and CAD.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
Which industries will benefit the most from the current economic stand down? Perhaps,

- Home exercise (Peloton)
- Teleconferencing
What else?

Also, travel and tourism-related stocks might be at bargain basement values soon. I think cruise lines might already be there. Cruise lines will recover. People love cruising even though it's obvious those ships are petri dishes.

myrica

Pigeon
C-Note said:
Which industries will benefit the most from the current economic stand down? Perhaps,

- Home exercise (Peloton)
- Teleconferencing
What else?

Also, travel and tourism-related stocks might be at bargain basement values soon. I think cruise lines might already be there. Cruise lines will recover. People love cruising even though it's obvious those ships are petri dishes.
i worked on cruises since 2011.
Cruise line stocks were really stable until virus happened. Now 50 usd stocks became 9 usd stocks. And trust me, cruises WILL come back. It's an industry which has %30 growth rate per year, f.king INSANE.
On top of that, they didnt even cover %10 of US population. Vast majority of US/EU population never been on a cruise.

If anyone who wants to make stupid amounts of money when this virus stuff is all over, cruise stocks are way to go.

NoMoreTO

Pelican
I had thought about this a while. I don't think it is explicitly counter biblical, or properly biblical I do not view it as the best path. Almost all corporations are evil and run by evil forces, this seems clear today more than ever

I had a thought a while back that people in communities all over middle America, my hometown, dump so much of their money and savings into stocks for retirement. In the old days they may have helped their children come up, built their homes, and their children would have taken care of them.

I was trying to make an exit out of the stock market, and I did. I will buy more stocks, I recently bought a silver ETF. It is smart to make proper moves if you can, but I personally don't want it to be the largest part of my savings. Better to handle your own affairs is my take. Imagine the things these companies do, and when we associate them, we shirk some of our moral responsibility. Your wealth has great power to help those around you, and the stock market isn't the best place for it.

Then again, I want to have a bison farm someday so maybe I'm just strange hehe.

^That’s largely what the video was about, how Christians can/should invest given that every single fund indexing the SP500 or Dow includes companies promoting anti-Christian activities. If you’re investing in Vanguard or through Betterment, for example, you are profiting from sin and your money sponsors pride parades.

redbeard

Hummingbird
MichaelWitcoff said:
^That’s largely what the video was about, how Christians can/should invest given that every single fund indexing the SP500 or Dow includes companies promoting anti-Christian activities. If you’re investing in Vanguard or through Betterment, for example, you are profiting from sin and your money sponsors pride parades.
If only someone made a thread to discuss this.......

:angel:

Morally Responsible Investing

MichaelWitcoff said:
Can you please send me a link. I do not find your channel.

bali

Pigeon
Does anyone think there will be another drop in the Dow?
I'm surprised the dow is rallying back so high
with the record unemployment but perhaps the govt
is willing to pay the unemployment benefits for the next year
or six months to those people.
I suspect restaurants will be closed or severely under-staffed for
takeout only until the fall. Leisure, Travel, and hosptiality jobs
will all be gone and will those companies shut down.