Stock Market thread

Lone Wolf

Sparrow
yes, the fed just killed the market. Powell said something along the lines of "not considering negative interest rates". And today, the market completed a heads and shoulders pattern. I expect the sp500 to go to 2600 soon

bali

Sparrow
Do you think 2600 will be the bottom for the sandp or do you think it will drop
more?
It seems like the record unemployment since the depression sounds bad.
Will we fall into another depression over the summer if jobs are not improved?

What are you guy's thoughts on investing in mutual funds vs individual stocks?
Stick to ETFs and Mutuals. Research broad market funds that capture the whole market. I invest through Charles Schwab, but Vanguard would be a bit better.

Here some I own and can attest to appreciation and dividends.
SCHD, SCHB.
For oil XLE
For bonds TLT, SWAGX

With the exception of the bond funds, all are down, XLE has been creamed. Bonds are making their run now and may be to late. However, I hedge my equities with TLT.

Only invest money you will not need for 5 to 10 years. Thus, you can weather the meltdowns. I have been through Black Monday 1997, the dot com bust, and the great recession, and now this. All my investments recovered and principle increased quite a bit.

Now is a fantastic time to buy assets and an absolute horrible time to sell equities.

BB1

Robin
@BB1

Has the recent turmoil changed your thesis on the likes of AYX, TTD and MDB in the long term at all?

Cheers.

Not at all. MongoDB (MDB) and The Trade Desk (TTD) have hit all time highs this month, despite the Covid-19 fear. Alteryx (AYX) has bounced back well and will probably hit all time highs again in a few more quarters.

Another of my strong recommendations, Shopify (SHOP), is killing it.

Im currently looking at adding ROKU to my portfolio.

Not at all. MongoDB (MDB) and The Trade Desk (TTD) have hit all time highs this month, despite the Covid-19 fear. Alteryx (AYX) has bounced back well and will probably hit all time highs again in a few more quarters.

Another of my strong recommendations, Shopify (SHOP), is killing it.

Im currently looking at adding ROKU to my portfolio.

Hey BB1, what's your bull case for Roku?

I agree both Shopify and The Trade Desk are strong buys with Shopify seen as the anti-amazon and The Trade Desk being the future of online advertising.

One of the most niche and best performing stocks in my portfolio is Games Workshop Group - wide moat, loyal and passionate consumer base and very strong fundamentals.

Seems like the tough call is if coronavirus is legit or not. If not, then it is time to move back to the traditional stocks that got slaughtered under coronavirus (airlines, banks, etc.). If it is legit, then I guess tech/biotech is the way to go.

I need to get into this more. I have a small stock account I have never used. My big stock investing is just dollar cost average investing into balanced mutual funds.

Looks like yesterday's late sell off was largely due to coronavirus cases starting to spike again. The potential for a 2nd shut down looms, even in the summer months. All those stupid protests might have spread the virus around like crazy.

EndlessGravity

Kingfisher
Looks like yesterday's late sell off was largely due to coronavirus cases starting to spike again. The potential for a 2nd shut down looms, even in the summer months. All those stupid protests might have spread the virus around like crazy.

This is probably not the case. Powell's talk yesterday was very bad (and he's the most optimistic in the world) and he didn't agree to control yield curve, which the market is already expecting.

This is probably not the case. Powell's talk yesterday was very bad (and he's the most optimistic in the world) and he didn't agree to control yield curve, which the market is already expecting.

I know his speech started the sell off yesterday afternoon. From what I understand they don't plan to change interest rates until 2022.

Blade Runner

Kingfisher
It's time to live life with this minimal risk and disobey the overbearing powers. Everyone should have their investment plans in order before this year's election: food/supplies, protection, stores of value (gold, bitcoin, etc) and then the remainder goes to investments or other commodities, in the hope that we can somehow get out of this mess with very little traumatic disturbance. Plan for the worst, but be smart and hope for the best.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
A Classic 3-5-3 Major A down B up C down developing...

At 1:45 PM NYC Eastern Time, we are down 150 pts on S&P Futures and down 1500 pts on the Dow.

We broke below the 9 day moving average to resistance on the 20 Day moving average which is just above the red 200 Day moving aaverage.

If we break below the 200 DMA (3,010) in the next few days we are in an official change of trend down into a Major C-Wave with a target of 2000.

Live Chart action:

https://www.tradingview.com/chart/ESM2020/FDMq0E0r-A-Classic-3-5-3-Major-ABC-SPX-Futures-developing/

C Hit 2174 (1223 C)= 36% correction down

Close to 1.618 times A leg or new 3 Wave Trending down
followed by a 5 wave retrace up to
3231 - 2174 = 1057 retrace.
3231 - 1223 = 1998 (2000) C leg target in a fast ABC like the Major A leg down.

2:45 PM Tested 3,005 - The 200 DMA now down to 3006

Let's see if we close below the 200 DMA today...

Today is the S&P Futures Contract cutover day from the June ESM2020 to the Sept ESU2020 contracts.

Remember News is Noise (Covid Surge in 20 states thanks BLM and Antifa - Fed economy etc.)

The Market Does what it is Supposed to do!

Last edited:
Interest rates at 0 until 2022.....expecting higher in nominal terms.

Just look at the fed's balance sheet. Where do you think all that money is flowing? Into assets. They'll keep propping markets up until they can't. Luckily USD has worldwide demand (servicing debt) otherwise this ponzi would have already collapsed.

Off topic...but Trump really screwed the pooch by allowing debt ceiling to be increased. Bubbles on bubbles on bubbles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 2.34.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 2.34.11 PM.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 6

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Brilliant Brit says Fiat Currencies Bomb by Year End as fiat goes to zero everything priced in those fiat currencies go to zero.

Best to convert all assets now except short term amounts to cover petty cash expenses... Best to buy physical gold and silver while both are still being sold.