Stock Market thread

tothepoint

Woodpecker
800 points is a joke, the DOW is higher than 1 year ago which is crazy to me. Imo, 19000 seems more in line with reality, a 30% discount from current prices.

I had my entry points for a dozen stocks to buy after the election and I'm off by 10 to 20% for a lot of them. Only INTC went below and looks very attractive right now.

Last edited:

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
The market is going to go up after they pumped all this money into circulation, right?

Hard to say, its already in pretty decent shape considering the economic slowdown.

Invest with caution. If you are going in, nibble your way in every month, or quarterly... don't put a big lumpsum in all at once.

nathan

Robin
Hard to say, its already in pretty decent shape considering the economic slowdown.

Invest with caution. If you are going in, nibble your way in every month, or quarterly... don't put a big lumpsum in all at once.
I ended up sticking a bunch of cash in real estate earlier this year because hey, if it crashes, then at least I still have a house and land. And if it goes up then I make solid returns. Plus I am in Texas so it really shouldn't crash.

Yall want to hear what the rich people are doing? So there's this guy who posts for Seeking Alpha. He's not an insider, so this is legal, but he'll do some research on stocks that he thinks are overvalued. He'll write a report about them and then call all his clients to tell them to short it before he releases the report. Then he releases it, and it's top of the SERPs for a while when anyone searches for the stock, and a lot of people sell it. Does the stock tank because it had poor fundamentals as he has researched, or does it tank because he wrote a big news report about it and occupies a position of influence that he leverages for personal gain? Probably a bit of both, but it still seems a bit rigged. Should he not be allowed to do that? Not exactly. But this is how it works at that level. And that's not even the top level, it's like guys with a net worth in the 5-20 million range.

BB1

Robin
RE: 2017 Stock Market thread

I believe The Trade Desk (TTD) has great potential in the $650 billion dollars global advertising industry.

They IPO'ed last September and shares are currently at $51

More info here :

http://www.campaignasia.com/article/trade-desk-ceo-ipo-funds-will-fuel-asian-expansion/438090
I posted the above on July 16, 2017. Since then TTD has been crushing the market. Their stock has increased in value from $51 to $819 - a 1,500% return in 3 years 4 months. It demonstrates the wisdom of finding exceptional founder led companies, and sticking with them for the long term. Ignore all the idiots and traders on CNBC, etc.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
Spanish banks took off with 20% gains yesterday.
There's good money to be made if you can time it right...I wish I was doing this as a full time job.

Video game companies are taking another beating this week, I will buy some more of that. The stocks are cheap if you compare them with Netflix, Amazon, Zoom or any other company that has ridden the corona wave. Many games were delayed to 2021 because of issues with the work from home situation and coronavirus is far from over. In Europe most countries have lockdowns for the next 6 months.
Additionally, their operating costs are going down while retail video game prices are going up.
Even without the virus, there will be a massive shift towards gaming as a service once the new consoles reach the market. I believe investors are underestimating this fact. Almost all the video game companies launched or are launching Netflix type subscriptions and their customer base is growing, thus making them less reliant on big titles.

Last edited:
Will have to wait until they file an S-1, but what is attractive about Robinhood is that they are extremely innovative, and have a loyal client base of young investors.

But out of those companies I listed, Snowflake looks to be the best. Unfortunately the best quality IPOs these days are coming out at insane valuations.
Are you invested in SNOW now @BB1 or do you think they are rated too high already?
Thanks for the Zscaler suggestion by the way :) - worked out nicely. Now there is a lot of jitter lately with them

BB1

Robin
Are you invested in SNOW now @BB1 or do you think they are rated too high already?
Thanks for the Zscaler suggestion by the way :) - worked out nicely. Now there is a lot of jitter lately with them

Snowflake is an fantastic business, but I cannot recommend investing at the current price of $234. I would start to get interested around $160.

Snowflake is an fantastic business, but I cannot recommend investing at the current price of $234. I would start to get interested around $160.
Thanks, I think the same, actually.
waiting for Confluent ;-) ? I am for sure. Hope it will not be crazy overvalued such as SNOW at IPO.

the other question is when to get out of Biontech, Moderna and CureVac.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Alternative Investments... $1.9M for one bird.

Biz model breed champion pigeons and sell to crazy rich asians... Much lower capex costs and feed costs than Race horses. I knew tumblers and homing pigeons could bring $25k per bird but $2M that could be eaten by a hawk or falcon seems risky... I suppose racing bird insurance could be another emerging markets biz op.... Now back to the gold, btc and NYC Market indices all at or near all time highs.

BB1

Robin
I brought a full position today in Teledoc Health (TDOC) at $177.

It is posted strong growth in virtual visits in Q3, climbing 109% to $288.8 million. Teladoc says its current customer base accounts for only about 1% of the 1.1 billion potential customers in its addressable markets.

Does eBay not represent a well established brand dating back to the beginning of the internet, in a growing industry that has recently made its platform much more seller friendly Vs Amazon? Talk me out of it at a P/E of 13.

Arado

Pelican
Gold Member
I brought a full position today in Teledoc Health (TDOC) at $177.

It is posted strong growth in virtual visits in Q3, climbing 109% to $288.8 million. Teladoc says its current customer base accounts for only about 1% of the 1.1 billion potential customers in its addressable markets.
It has a no-moat rating from Morningstar. What's preventing others from coming into this space?