Stock Market thread

username

Ostrich
Gold Member
Intel is on my radar as well, I'm thinking of picking some up soon too. The thing is I've been buying more AMD processors lately because I can get something significantly more powerfully for the same price as Intel.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
Intel looks good at $45 but it will require a lot of patience. It can also go lower if they announce another delay. I personally don't like them as a company, just like I don't like Nvidia. They would sell you the same shit in a different package every year if AMD wasn't around.

They first quad-core was released in 2007 and in 2008 they destroyed AMD with the I7 920 on LGA 1366. I bought one and overclocked it from 2.6 to 4GHz, best value for money you could get. In 2010 they already had 6-core CPUs on LGA 1366. Naturally I was expecting them to push 6-core and 8-core in the mainstream with the next generation but instead they released Sandy Bridge, 10-20% faster than the previous generation yet got a lot of praise for some reason. I guess Intel had deep pockets to throw at the press and almost buried AMD. Subsequent lack of competition meant that Intel milked the quad-core for a decade. Sooner or later their lack of innovation was going to backfire.

Last edited:

Meraki

Sparrow
SFT looks good at $6.70, could this explode like CVNA ? I was also checking VRM but doesn't look as good as either of those.
@Pointer you really nailed the bottom. I was also following SFT, but waiting for the gap to fill back around $9. VRM seems to lack to growth potential of SFT, but it all depends on your timeframe. How do you feel about SFT long into 2021? Or were you just looking to hold thru the investor presentation next week and hop off at 12$ if it taps previous highs?

Options also super bullish on it too. Good luck!

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Gold and Silver retrace - Gold Closes below $1,800 Oz and Silver below $23.00

2:06 PM PST gold price for November 27, 2020:
Gold $1787.64/oz
down.gif

2:08 PM PST silver price for November 27, 2020:
Silver $22.72/oz
down.gif

tothepoint

Woodpecker
@Pointer you really nailed the bottom. I was also following SFT, but waiting for the gap to fill back around $9. VRM seems to lack to growth potential of SFT, but it all depends on your timeframe. How do you feel about SFT long into 2021? Or were you just looking to hold thru the investor presentation next week and hop off at 12$ if it taps previous highs?

Options also super bullish on it too. Good luck!

I'm holding through 2021, looking for the big bucks :)

Didn't expect it to go lower but that jump took me by surprise.

I'm thinking of taking a position in INAQ if it goes lower and still have my eye on RKT as well.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
S&P Futures set new ATH of 3677.50 today 1Dec20 - Major 5th Wave ABC Fibonacci Extension next major resistance level 1.618 at 3764.75 a new thin wave 5-B top trend line governs now as wave 3 upper trend line was so extended in its impulse. Current S&P ATR is 56 per day. 3755 around 28 Dec 2020/First week Jan 2021 is major top institutional Target prior to a Major ABC Correction to 2600 to 2200 range in mid to late 2021 when all the Covid PPP, Unemployment extensions and Foreclosure and Eviction moratoriums end and when true extent of mRNA vaccine complications become public and many people refuse risky mass Covid vaccines:

1606875481365.png

I'm thinking of taking a position in INAQ if it goes lower and still have my eye on RKT as well.
Lol, I’m loving my long position as well.

Was so tempted to sell recently.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
As the indices hit new ATHs S&P Futures 3700, I spoke with my Institutional Stealth Advisor - he is locking in profits for EOY profits on 6 portfolios. He has targeted 3755 for Top Turning and will be stacking shorts in the 3700 to 3755 range so I am looking for top turn in the range 3755 to Fibonacci 1.618 Extension of the ABC 5th to 3765. Expecting Major ABC correction to 2600 to 2200 +/- range beginning Q1 2021.

1607218475612.png

kel

Ostrich

May I ask how much - say, as a percentage of your wealth or yearly income or whatever - you put in stuff like this. I'm a much more hands-off investor, I tend to go for big names I recognize and/or things I think have a secure future (energy/water utilities, etc). I'd like to invest a little more aggressively, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Do I, for example, put $1000 (picking a number) into ten different things, hope for one moonshot to make me real money, most to hold, a few to go belly up?

tothepoint

Woodpecker
It's hard to say. If you buy on a red day and hold for the long term you should be fine. In my experience you tend to lose money when you panic sell, the market usually comes back around. I find that for me it's not so hard to pick the right stocks, the challenge is rather when to take profits. Bear in mind that I'm not a financial advisor. I just have a background in corporate finance and I like shopping for stocks as a hobby in my spare time. Up until 2018 all my savings went into real estate and once I sorted that out I ended up with a lump of cash. I made a nice 30% return in 2019 but that was easy since the market was booming and then lost about 10% in February and March 2020. Sold everything and waited sitting on cash for a second dip which never came. I slowly started buying again in May.
In SFT I invested only 3000 euros which is less than a month's salary but I may add more if it breaks a new high.
My portfolio is tech heavy right now so I'm not diversifying as well as I should. I could've probably made more money if I shifted into the banking and oil sectors last month but I have limited time for this stuff. I'm also keeping 20% in cash for future opportunities like next week's AirBnB IPO launch. That being said I'm only 30 and have plenty of time to make up for losses if I make a bad decision.
During my studies the literature overwhelmingly showed that in the long term you're better off investing in index funds. When in doubt just go with that. However, since 2015 when online trading platforms started popping up fees are at historical lows and automatic stop losses/limits greatly reduce your risk. It would be a shame not to take advantage of a more active investing approach.

Last edited:

Meraki

Sparrow
It's hard to say. If you buy on a red day and hold for the long term you should be fine. In my experience you tend to lose money when you panic sell, the market usually comes back around. I find that for me it's not so hard to pick the right stocks, the challenge is rather when to take profits. Bear in mind that I'm not a financial advisor. I just have a background in corporate finance and I like shopping for stocks as a hobby in my spare time. Up until 2018 all my savings went into real estate and once I sorted that out I ended up with a lump of cash. I made a nice 30% return in 2019 but that was easy since the market was booming and then lost about 10% in February and March 2020. Sold everything and waited sitting on cash for a second dip which never came. I slowly started buying again in May.
In SFT I invested only 3000 euros which is less than a month's salary but I may add more if it breaks a new high.
My portfolio is tech heavy right now so I'm not diversifying as well as I should. I could've probably made more money if I shifted into the banking and oil sectors last month but I have limited time for this stuff. I'm also keeping 20% in cash for future opportunities like next week's AirBnB IPO launch. That being said I'm only 30 and have plenty of time to make up for losses if I make a bad decision.
During my studies the literature overwhelmingly showed that in the long term you're better off investing in index funds. When in doubt just go with that. However, since 2015 when online trading platforms started popping up fees are at historical lows and automatic stop losses/limits greatly reduce your risk. It would be a shame not to take advantage of a more active investing approach.
Thanks for the response earlier. Yeah, that dip freaked me out too, but I bought more in the 9$ range anyway. I'm considering selling in a few months depending on the price action, personally. Let them pump out an ER or two. Happy to see if it hits 15$ a share and will scale out.

@kel - Pointer's advice "buy on a red day" and "knowing when to take profits" is such good advice. But you'd need to understand your risk tolerance. $1000 into a handful of stocks will not do much, you need to be able to leverage a large amount of shares, on a stock that is moving with higher than normal volume. To do this, the company can be total garbage, you just need to scan for things like high volume, high % up in premarket, high % down in afterhours, etc and just try to capture a portion of that move. You really can't make sizeable money without at least $5000 per trade, and you really need to know when to let a big winner run. There's times where I took a "safe" trade at a 30% profit, only for the stock to run up another 45% the next day - so identify the timeframe you want to work with too. There's also times when I've been up 500% and had some weird, blackswan fakenews crash a stock instantly after holding a year. Luckily, if you have been in some boring bluechip stuff the past year or two, like me, it will help balance any crazy moves you make on speculation.

Pointer really appreciate you shouting out those tech stocks. I follow quite a few as well. After college, I day-traded very aggressively and have grown my account from a few k to almost 6 figures during 2016-2018. And then lost it all... for some of the reasons you mentioned. I've built it up and back about 3 times. Your advice really, really hits home - finding the stocks is the easy part. It's capturing part of the move & knowing when to take profits that is the problem. I've done idiotic things like sit on stocks that were up 400% and only sell maybe 25% of the shares, only to be burned big time. Now, after a break, I am getting back into it, but at a much slower pace, same age as you and looking at a lot of the same things.

Right now, I'm eyeing a lot of tech industries that will run a bit more as lockdowns end. No fan of China, but SMH, NIO, and semiconductor funds have been blasting off & I'm slowly getting a few shares of things like MU (which I should've just held at 30$ a few years ago) as well as a few healthcare stocks. Tesla and the stuff our parents would recognize is just completely priced out of existence right now. We can't even get in the game. I remember trading Google from 300s selling in the 800s thinking that was already lucky to have the price so bloated. Now....?? Crazy.

I think ZOOM, Amazon, etc are in for a correction, and healthcare, consumer electronics, electric cars & travel (airBnB) will see a run from 2021-22. What else are you guys looking at?

das_Mofa

Chicken
What are your thoughts on NIO stock? It is a Chinese electric cars manufacturing company. The stock price has rallied for the past couple of months. Does anybody own this stock or have researched about it?
Seems quite interesting to me but I need to search for more information.

Meraki

Sparrow
What are your thoughts on NIO stock? It is a Chinese electric cars manufacturing company. The stock price has rallied for the past couple of months. Does anybody own this stock or have researched about it?

I'm in NIO. It's one of the ones I plan on buying a few shares each month for the next year. They've got a billion dollars of Chinese govt money propping them up to compete with Tesla, and they've got a bit of an edge with their battery. That's about it. I'm in at a horrible price after sitting out on the gains MU was making. Really didn't think they'd hit 70 so soon thought there'd be a chance to get more around $59

Seems the Chinese EV, microchip & battery companies are going to explode into 2022. Even with sanctions, they have such a huge domestic population & so much funny money - regardless of the integrity of any of these companies, they'd be the best bet some gains over the next 2 years. The only thing that worries me is so many of those companies are already up so much this year... same with a lot of the vaxx stuff. MRNA is up to an insane valuation - but if their vaxx fails, they have NO other products.... the stock price is all speculation based on "approval." So I think the danger is with a lot of tech & pharma, on the surface it seems the price is baked in. How can these numbers keep going up with so many out of work? But, at the same time, the you can always trust the market to act irrational.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
I'm in it bigly. NIO was one of the first penny stocks I bought.

I don't know what they do except that they make Chinese cars and their stock made me a boatload of money. It hit $55 a few weeks ago and I wish I would have cashed out. I got a stop loss at $41.50. It's been fun, but this has gotta be a bubble.

Aloha!