Stock Market thread

kel

Ostrich
Those of you who do this day-trading or very short-term swing trading that seems to be discussed above - can I ask how much you might put into any one trade? As a percentage of your total worth/investment I suppose, to make it clear.

For instance, I do not do the kind of trading above (due to risk aversion and lack of time, mainly). I invest in things I either know myself and have faith in the product (which doesn't mean the financials are there, I know, but this is my metric still) or things I get a hop tip on or things I just sorta search like "Hmmm, I think water utilities will be important in the future, lemme see what water utility stocks people online say are 'good'". I buy, set a few sale points that kinda seem ridiculous but have been paying off the last few years (sell half when it doubles, the other half when it doubles again) and mostly forget about it. I invest usually about 3% of my wealth at a time like this (and I invest essentially all my savings, which is maybe risky, but losing money to inflation and missing out on how the rich get richer is also risky).

To be honest, this has been a decent strategy for me, but also you'd have to be the least lucky person in the world to have failed to make money hand over fist in the recent market, so I'm not promoting this exactly. It's what I do, and I suspect is a reasonable strategy for someone like me (yuppie who works long hours, can't be trading that aggressively unless I'm going to make it a full or part-time job and re-evaluate my current job accordingly).

Now, when I see people saying they're reaping 25% on very short-term trades, obviously that gets the noggin' joggin'. It's dangerous to think this way, but of course you can imagine "hmm, I get 25% this week, 10% the next week, 15% the following week", you're essentially doing compound interest at a very high rate and over very short periods and, strung together, you're doubling and tripling your wealth fairly quickly. But, also, you're risking it collapsing, too, naturally. I know it's not that simple, but still it makes me wonder how much those of you doing this invest in such trades, how much time you spend actively trading. Tbh I wish I had a close, trusted friend who does this kind of thing, is successful at it, and I could give him my money and say "Here, make magic".

Drazen

Ostrich
Gold Member
Hello all,
Cc: @BB1

what is your take on Hydrogen stocks such as Plug Power, itm power?
time to invest? I just bought a small position

They fell today. I'm holding on to FCEL (granted I bought at $8.85) and may buy some PLUG tommorow depending on how its doing.

Now, when I see people saying they're reaping 25% on very short-term trades, obviously that gets the noggin' joggin'. It's dangerous to think this way, but of course you can imagine "hmm, I get 25% this week, 10% the next week, 15% the following week", you're essentially doing compound interest at a very high rate and over very short periods and, strung together, you're doubling and tripling your wealth fairly quickly. But, also, you're risking it collapsing, too, naturally. I know it's not that simple, but still it makes me wonder how much those of you doing this invest in such trades, how much time you spend actively trading. Tbh I wish I had a close, trusted friend who does this kind of thing, is successful at it, and I could give him my money and say "Here, make magic".

I'm gambling on memes from WallStreetBets. I'm up 75% all time, with not a cent of that from Tesla.

At no point do I waste any time researching the fundamentals of a company or even the basics of how the stock market works. Most of the time, I barely understand what the DD that's posted there even means. I'm not exaggerating, I really am this degenerate.

Everyone's a genius in a bull market.

The market is so divorced from fundamental reality, that it is in all practicality a meme machine. There is an art to sniffing out the 1 meme with legs in a sea of frauds, and I've gotten a lot better at it over the past year. Of course, it's probably just a string of luck confirming my biases.

You don't want to follow my lead, but your strategy sounds awful quaint. I say, subscribe to WallStreetBets, and read it every day. Peruse the /new posts. There's a ton of people there, sharing massive amounts of information for free. 90% of it is trash, but if nothing else, you can decentralize a lot of the work spent discovering new tickers.

Also, I don't day trade. I use WSB to find tickers that are undervalued. However, WSB is really bad at exit strategies, so when a meme like $GME pops, I take profits ASAP. I happened to be really lucky on my timing this week.

palsofchaos

Sparrow
Are you interested in the company at all or just speculation? Just glanced at the chart - due for a red day regardless of how well the offering goes. Looks like its going to add about 30% to the overall float.

A bit of both. I'm not in love with EV and clean energy in general but I like the way OEG is going about it. OEG's business model is more realistic than some of the other low cap EV/clean energy company's. They're methodically acquiring smaller company's to build up their business. I'm much more comfortable throwing money behind this than something like a GEVO who wants to go into a lot of debt building a giant plant. I've contracted for a few investment firms before and they're a pain to work with... because they're so stingy with their funds. This is good for investors.

With this most recent stock offering OEG pays off their debt. They have a lot of capital to continue doing what they've been doing.

What is your overall price target? I could see a leg up to 4.50$ then between $5-6 but there is a key turning point at $3.60 & $4 for the range to watch. Daily chart candle doesn't look too confident on the buying. Also, historically, it seems there is huge resistance between 4.50-4.90 so breaking into 5$ is going to be hard without a bigger catalyst, as there are probably quite a few trapped longs looking to get out.

Looking at this 3.50-4 range the most recent offering, for $3.50, expires today and it ran for 3 days. In that time the stock has barely dropped below 4 and those dips are quickly eaten up. Assuming Biden is sworn in and their isn't a catastrophe in the markets I see it going up. The extra offering hurts how high it will go but the movement during these last 3 days has me bullish. If they release any kind of good news between now and Tuesday I could see that resistance around the high 4's being broken.

Their solar business (Orbital Solar Services) will take advantage of the new administrations clean energy policies.

Meraki

Sparrow
Wow guess I should’ve held BNGO a couple days longer. Judging by the chart last week I got out at the right time...

@kel I’m crazy and have 50% + of my net worth on certain trades. But like I said, I’ve got a peasant job making $14k a year, so unless I can move 1000s of shares, I’d essentially only be making enough for restaurant trips and movie tickets LOL

if you’re able to pick stuff that doubles over hits 50% over the year just stick with that. You WILL get burned hard trading. Everyone has losses you can’t win every trade. Last week I took a loser that wiped 40-50% of my wins past 2 weeks.

right now there are a few companies I have been listing that I DD on, but I also trade them. This is sort of an insurance policy in that if a trade turns south, I don’t mind bc I like the company, so I hold and have a large position in the green that I trade in and out from. The downside is you sometimes miss the huge move, but you can buy back in with gradually more shares. I have to do it this way bc I don’t have high income.

Also, Ive recently been trading no more than 2k shares of anything and have just set simple monthly goals of making a few hundred minimum extra. If something runs more, great, but it’s more about the skillset.

for finding fast trades, I just do a volume scanner in the morning and then look at which ever daily chart has the biggest historical price range. Needs to move at least .30 in a day regularly in order to capture a good candle.

sidenote bc I’m broke: Kel if it’s appropriate, if you DM me I’d be happy to email you or even do some monthly Zoom lessons or tutorials on how I look at stocks (for a small hourly rate, bc like I said, my salary is a joke)

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Interesting StoreDot fast charge batteries article:
Electric car batteries with five-minute charging times produced | Electric, hybrid and low-emission cars | The Guardian

Batteries capable of fully charging in five minutes have been produced in a factory for the first time, marking a significant step towards electric cars becoming as fast to charge as filling up petrol or diesel vehicles.

Electric vehicles are a vital part of action to tackle the climate crisis but running out of charge during a journey is a worry for drivers. The new lithium-ion batteries were developed by the Israeli company StoreDot and manufactured by Eve Energy in China on standard production lines.

StoreDot has already demonstrated its “extreme fast-charging” battery in phones, drones and scooters and the 1,000 batteries it has now produced are to showcase its technology to carmakers and other companies. Daimler, BP, Samsung and TDK have all invested in StoreDot, which has raised $130m to date and was named a Bloomberg New Energy Finance Pioneer in 2020.

The batteries can be fully charged in five minutes but this would require much higher-powered chargers than used today. Using available charging infrastructure, StoreDot is aiming to deliver 100 miles of charge to a car battery in five minutes in 2025.

“The number one barrier to the adoption of electric vehicles is no longer cost, it is range anxiety,” said Doron Myersdorf, CEO of StoreDot. “You’re either afraid that you’re going to get stuck on the highway or you’re going to need to sit in a charging station for two hours. But if the experience of the driver is exactly like fuelling [a petrol car], this whole anxiety goes away.”

“A five-minute charging lithium-ion battery was considered to be impossible,” he said. “But we are not releasing a lab prototype, we are releasing engineering samples from a mass production line. This demonstrates it is feasible and it’s commercially ready.”

Existing Li-ion batteries use graphite as one electrode, into which the lithium ions are pushed to store charge. But when these are rapidly charged, the ions get congested and can turn into metal and short circuit the battery.

The StoreDot battery replaces graphite with semiconductor nanoparticles into which ions can pass more quickly and easily. These nanoparticles are currently based on germanium, which is water soluble and easier to handle in manufacturing. But StoreDot’s plan is to use silicon, which is much cheaper, and it expects these prototypes later this year. Myersdorf said the cost would be the same as existing Li-ion batteries.

“The bottleneck to extra-fast charging is no longer the battery,” he said. Now the charging stations and grids that supply them need to be upgraded, he said, which is why they are working with BP. “BP has 18,200 forecourts and they understand that, 10 years from now, all these stations will be obsolete, if they don’t repurpose them for charging – batteries are the new oil.”

palsofchaos

Sparrow
Today will be a fun day for the markets:

Netflix: up almost 14% in afterhours/premarket after reporting earnings. The big news is that... its finally a profitable company.

Gevo: direct offering announced at $8. Down 25% in the premarket. Probably not a bad time to load up. Markets reacted very positively to the Biden cabinet news. Looks like Gevo will get their South Dakota plant.

OEG: up 10% in the premarket. If we see Biden get through inauguration without announcing there's aliens, it could pop.

Meraki

Sparrow
Bummed big time to miss out on PLUG. 30s was feeling pricey, but guess it just doesn’t matter now after the gap up. Looking more closely at PECK now that I have a small position. It will begin trading under ISUN today and has rallied 10-15% past couple days.

I'm expecting the steel market go do real good this spring. For this reason I'm heavily invested in MT and and VALE and will be holding until early summer.
Also into clean energy stocks. Holding MP for a while, they mine rare earth elements that are used in EVs, wind turbines and electronics. STPK has been going well for a while too, a SPAC which aims to acquire Stem, a company focusing on battery storage systems and battery optimization. URG and UUUU are uranium producers I hold as well, as I believe it to be completely unsustainable living on clean energy without nuclear.

palsofchaos

Sparrow
Bummed big time to miss out on PLUG. 30s was feeling pricey, but guess it just doesn’t matter now after the gap up. Looking more closely at PECK now that I have a small position. It will begin trading under ISUN today and has rallied 10-15% past couple days.
Nice call on ISUN it did well today. Took a look after you posted it but I couldn't get excited about it. Appeared like most of their business was in Vermont.

palsofchaos

Sparrow
Plymouth Rock Inc (PLRTF) is a drone stock I've been holding for about a week. Has doubled since I bought it and is trading for $0.69. This is a very risky stock.

Here's some light dd:

Focuses on security via MWV (millimeter wave technology). Their drones can scan crowds for concealed bombs or weapons essentially. They have a patent for the longest range drone MWV. They also hold a patent to use MWV in a shoe scanner. This could eliminate the need for taking off your shoes in airports.

Manufactured in the USA. Significant because the government doesn't want to use Chinese drones for security/defense.

CEO worked at Lockheed Martin. Well connected with US agencies.

Two large red flags:
1) Company is small
2) Their Revenue sucks - and they are in no way profitable.

Despite this, sentiment is up due to the capital riot and drone stocks are popular.

Meraki

Sparrow
I’ll look at it This sounds interesting for sure. I’m almost entirely tied up in ISUN/PECK now and basically put all the rest of my free cash in at $17. I saw it nearly hit 20$ yest, I’m going to check it next week and let that ride.

I looked at some of the others you & others listed, but it seems a bit late for the move on them. I’m starting to wonder if I should just get small positions in all the stocks I list and hold a bit longer - as I saw BNGO went to 9$ and JAGX carried to $3, LIVX tapped 4$ and LI rode to 37$. I tend to just play one or two at a time.

i still have LI but I sold the others early and took a $300 loss on ISR misreading the chart the other day. Starting to think I should spread out, but for the time being I’ve put about 15% of my portfolio on ISUN since mentioning it here. So far Im up a few dollars a share. Will see how it handles 20s, plan on getting out by then.

I still think the “Biden boom” only carries till March if we’re lucky. So by then, my plan is to be out of just about everything and re-position into some cheaper green stocks, a few more overseas EV, and more shares of my foreign semiconductor funds. Then is when I’ll start taking more speculative plays on the penny’s. But by all means, keep the ideas coming.
Plymouth Rock Inc (PLRTF) is a drone stock I've been holding for about a week. Has doubled since I bought it and is trading for $0.69. This is a very risky stock.

Here's some light dd:

Focuses on security via MWV (millimeter wave technology). Their drones can scan crowds for concealed bombs or weapons essentially. They have a patent for the longest range drone MWV. They also hold a patent to use MWV in a shoe scanner. This could eliminate the need for taking off your shoes in airports.

Manufactured in the USA. Significant because the government doesn't want to use Chinese drones for security/defense.

CEO worked at Lockheed Martin. Well connected with US agencies.

Two large red flags:
1) Company is small
2) Their Revenue sucks - and they are in no way profitable.

Despite this, sentiment is up due to the capital riot and drone stocks are popular.

Those of you who do this day-trading or very short-term swing trading that seems to be discussed above - can I ask how much you might put into any one trade? As a percentage of your total worth/investment I suppose, to make it clear.,

Ill bite.

For daytrading you need to manage you position strategy based on risk reward. Usually a 1-3 risk reward is the minimum to enter a position.

That means if a stock is 9.10 and nearing what I know is a support line at 9. Ill buy and set my risk (stop loss if you will) at 8.90-8.85. Thats .20-.25 risk. Need .60-.75 upside for it to be worth it.

So 1-3 risk/reward minimum. As the risk/reward increases your position size increases...makes sense as it is a less risky trade right?

Position sizing is up to you. I recommend starting with $500 per trade. You wont make much for profit, but you also wont lose much on your mistakes. As you will make more losing trades in the beginning, you will appreciate the cheap lessons.

Every week you are green. Increase your position sizing by $500. Every week you are red decrease your sizing by $500.

Thats my 5 minute answer

Last edited:

Meraki

Sparrow
NIO tapped 63, LI is holding mid 30s

ISUN/PECK has gapped up about 15$ a share - don't know what to do with this one. Sell it or hold another day - float is only 3mil - which means parabolic, incoming dilution or a big move down.

Be responsible and sell half, since my gameplan was only to swing it to 20 in the first place, and now it hit 36$ in premarket.
Edit - I sold 80% at $31 something to take the 100% profit and cover the small loss on ISR last week. Riding a small amount of shares out, that I got at $17.20

Last edited: