Stock Market thread

aynrus

Kingfisher
Any recommendation on best (least limited) free source of trading data for stocks, which my scripts can read by sending web requests?
Quotes, historic, tech indicators, earnings, etc.

Why you should learn how to safely trade CME Futures specifically S&P 500 Emini ESx, Micro-Emini MESx and BTC futures:

Discount Futures Brokers Day Margins Emini $500 per contract, Micro-Emini $50 contract and
BTC Futures $3K+/- per 5 BTC contract. Be out by 3:30 PM to avoid overnight margins (full retail) during NYC 4PM to 6 PM futures settlement time.

or;

Retail investors can now buy at 2:30 AM London opens and then 9:30AM open a day margins - major playing field leveler - a game changer especially since BTC has recently been popping on the London Open and Retracing through the NYC open/day.

Hint goto barchart.com select technical charts at bottom select "candlesticks" barcharts and Add Technical Study: ATR defaults to 14 day - I like 20 day - Hit DRAW button defaults to 6 mos daily chart and mouse over the most recent daily Candles for that days true ATR move that day and the 20 day SMA ATR.

GOTO https://www.mypivots.com/investment-calculators/ select Daytrade Millionaire calculator

Plug in the last day candles ATR(20) in the points per day field

Emini is $50.00 per point (ESH21 Mar 21 Contract ATR(20) SMA 60.73 5Feb21)
MESx is $5.00 per point - Same ATR(20)
BTC Futures are $5.00 point (Each point times 5 BTC CME Futures Contract ATR $3,044 5Feb21)

BTC Futures are not BTC so no need to notify the IRS that you own cryptos... yet trading profits are enormous.

If the answers do not motivate you to learn CME futures trading nothing will.
Deepdiver, Thanks for the excellent rundown on CME futures.

I am considering CME trades or a Commodities mutual fund as a hedge for some business cash. I'm considering an account under my company EIN, slip some cash holdings into the fund at high-revenue periods, then let it ride. My industry was hit this last week with a large steel surcharge and I suspect other commodities are about to spike. I doubt I'll be doing high-volume trading, as this is for parking fiat that is still in the business someplace other than a near 0-interest bank account.

Does anyone here use commodities mutual funds in this fashion? Has it been worthwhile? Would you recommend going product-specific or a mutual fund to offset general inflationary trends in all commodities? If so, what pitfalls do you find (excessive transaction charges, etc.)?

GOALS:

1. Know how to anticipate price action for any electronically traded security/commodity/crypto/currency

2. Calculate best trading Entry and Exit points

3. Never lose money (via being on the wrong side of FOMO and FUD emotions)

4. Always make a profit.

As the Italians say "e molto simplice!"

i apologize if i came off as rude...just trying to better understand the takeaways!

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
i apologize if i came off as rude...just trying to better understand the takeaways!
LOL Thats OK - I still run into people who say TA is pure VooDoo (TA when implemented properly is pure mathematics) then those same people will pay $150 plus for an Astrology reading regarding their specific investments... go figure.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Most data/charting sources offer 20 min delayed Free Data and Real Time Data for a Fee with Bloomberg terminals averaging $12K Plus per year subscription.

tradingview.com offers its own scripting language

barchart.com iirc offers an api for premium subscribers...

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Interesting discussion regarding NSCC and DTCC margin requirements in regard to Robinhood and Volatility in General - this is also why CME Futures margin requirements rise during higher periods of volatility as a form of risk management for the discount brokers, CME and the Clearing Houses.

This is also why Discount Futures Brokers quote $50 Margins on S&P Micro-Emini and $500 on Emini futures contracts but can increase 5 fold during high volatility time frames and like the Article mentions the NSCC and DTCC post their margin requirements each day however their algorithms are proprietary trade secrets and not made public.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Deepdiver, Thanks for the excellent rundown on CME futures.

I am considering CME trades or a Commodities mutual fund as a hedge for some business cash. I'm considering an account under my company EIN, slip some cash holdings into the fund at high-revenue periods, then let it ride. My industry was hit this last week with a large steel surcharge and I suspect other commodities are about to spike. I doubt I'll be doing high-volume trading, as this is for parking fiat that is still in the business someplace other than a near 0-interest bank account.

Does anyone here use commodities mutual funds in this fashion? Has it been worthwhile? Would you recommend going product-specific or a mutual fund to offset general inflationary trends in all commodities? If so, what pitfalls do you find (excessive transaction charges, etc.)?
Regarding commodities rather than mutual funds or ETFs that are heavily regulated which means risk averse and not necessarily tax optimized - I prefer Royalty Streaming companies that multiply the returns on mining operations with all of the upside and nearly none of the downside risk. Royalty Streaming Companies fund mining operations with no debt or equity dilution but a discounted delivery guarantee on their commodities streams of production. Often at a 50% or greater discount to market prices at a fixed price until the Streaming Companies investment returned and then at a lower % for a number of years or for the productive life of that mine. When commidity metals hit a longer bull run Royalty Streaming Cos see significant increases in profits and stock appreciation.

Since the Royalty Streaming Companies never own a mine or equipment nor shares in mining companies they are protected by the vagaries of the markets and geopolitical risks of mine takeovers etc. They basically pre-buy mine production at a discounted price per ounce or ton. Royalty Streaming Companies run lean often with as few as 100 employees and diversify among 100 or more existing streaming production mines with dozens of Mining companies. Gold, Silver and Copper due to the combined production of Silver and some Gold from many copper mines and of course Rare Earths are the types of mining ops the Streaming Cos support expanded production or highly promising new mines.

With economic indicators signaling an imminent end to the stock bull market and turn of the business cycle to safer assets such as gold, royalty and streaming companies offer investors a way to leverage the rising price of gold for even greater gains.

Gold streaming and royalty companies do not own mines, and therefore they do not carry the risk of overhead related to gold mining operations. Instead, they provide capital to gold miners, and take their repayment in the form of greatly discounted gold or cash equivalent, which they either turn around and sell at significant profit or reap the benefit of profiting in the sale of gold and other metals.

These companies have tremendous margins, partly because they are not overhead-intensive, and generally have fewer than 40 employees. They are among the most scalable businesses, as well.

That means these companies can add far more revenue without having to scale-up and add hundreds of new employees to their business in order to grow.

That translates to the highest level of revenue per employee and market cap per employee of any S&P 500 sector.[1] Including the three top revenue per employee generators, Wheaton Precious Metals (NYSE: WPM), Franco-Nevada (NYSE: FNV), and Royal Gold (NASDAQ: RGLD).

What’s more, when you look at revenue on market cap per employee, you see that Franco-Nevada is in a league of their own with more than $400 million per employee. This is almost twice as much as the nearest competitor, Wheaton Precious Metals.

For most folks, June 11, 2019, was a date of no particular importance. But for the subscribers of Fry’s Investment Report, that date on the calendar deserves at least a sticky note, because that was the day I introduced two new gold stocks to the portfolio: Wheaton Precious Metals Corp. (NYSE:WPM) and Metalla Royalty & Streaming Ltd. (NYSEAMERICAN:MTA).

As of early December, Metalla had delivered a total return of 195% since June 11, 2019, while Wheaton had produced a total return of 79%.

Re: Rare Earths Miners (you will have to dig deeper to find any royalty streaming companies backing these RE Miners).

aynrus

Kingfisher
Most data/charting sources offer 20 min delayed Free Data and Real Time Data for a Fee with Bloomberg terminals averaging $12K Plus per year subscription.

tradingview.com offers its own scripting language

barchart.com iirc offers an api for premium subscribers...
Isn't there some non-delayed free data available?
I found several APIs mentioned online, and using finhub for now - not for real time data yet, but they claim to provide free real time quotes.
There's some free non-API real time data/Level 2 by various brokers on-screen, but I need API.
finhub makes me rate-limit to 60 reqs/min to use for free. Another, marketstack, I found only allows 1000 reqs/month which is worse. I heard of yahoo finance API, but not sure about it, and if they're planning to deprecate it soon.

I had been playing around with Tradinview scripts for a while just for practice, but these scripts normally run on series based on current chart. I need to process a bunch of tickers at once and get text output (eventually need to run them as daemons sending me notifications) In Tradingview pinescript there's a way to access other tickers data, but Tradingview seems to be per-chart oriented rather than a script processing a set of tickers in a loop and outputting text data. Am I wrong and there're ways around it?
What's attractive in Tradingview is wide availability of indicators, saving time from writing them from scratch.
finhub API offers some indicators via APIs, but frankly not sure how well-tested that stuff is, if they're just running beta testing.
(Not interested in paying for anything.)

IB mentions TWS api, but I can't find which data is free in 2021, may be will call them... they also offer FIX API but I think it's for institutional use and probably not free.

Last edited:

rainy

Kingfisher
Reading between the lines of their press releases, it looks like their plan is to find rare earth minerals in abandoned mines and old trailings left by other mining companies. I don't know enough about mining to know if that's a viable strategy. It sounds like one of those, "If we hit the motherlode, we'll all be rich!" kind of things. I'm willing to lose $100 on it, however, because at $.02 a stock, if they did hit the motherlode or a rich government contract, that would be a motherlode of gains in the stock price. The thing is, how do you keep from dropping $100 on all the hundreds or thousands of penny-stock companies promising the same thing?
It's a calculated risk for sure. But the mining industry or rare earth minerals has high demand. A domestic based company has high upside. If I were more conservative I'd wait for the PR and filings which are coming, but getting in now gets me in at a lower cost. This is a hold for me. For me I generally have 10 stocks I take a flyer on at any given time. I chart it out. I've hit on a few of these penny stocks and just hitting on 20-30% keeps me far ahead in profits.

Also currently holding

INKW
HCMC- which if they win the lawsuit with PM could boom quickly to .02-.05
RSSV
PHIL-I think is on the verge of exploding but suggest others do DD
PVDG-A solid .50 return in my estimation

My personal opinion is HCMC and PHIL are most likely to be a hit. And if either one hits it is major money.

I invest in more mature stocks as well but I've always enjoyed the rush of penny stocks and hitting on a few. I just make sure it's only with my play money.

I don't like passing on my DD because if someone takes it and it's a loss, well I don't know your financial situation. I only invest in pennies what I can afford to lose.

Last edited:

kel

Ostrich
Looks like it doubled just this afternoon, you're thinking more "explosion"? (Just asking, I don't know anything about any of these).

For me I generally have 10 stocks I take a flyer on at any given time. I chart it out. I've hit on a few of these penny stocks and just hitting on 20-30% keeps me far ahead in profits.
What kind of hit do you usually aim for, percentage-wise? That varies, obviously, but for example the HCMC target you've specified above is more than 10x its current price at the low end - is that a typical hope for you when investing in pennies?

rainy

Kingfisher
Looks like it doubled just this afternoon, you're thinking more "explosion"? (Just asking, I don't know anything about any of these).

What kind of hit do you usually aim for, percentage-wise? That varies, obviously, but for example the HCMC target you've specified above is more than 10x its current price at the low end - is that a typical hope for you when investing in pennies?
Per Phil, I do suggest doing your own DD but I'd also look into what Bryan Au is saying about it.

I never buy based on what someone else says but I do try to stay clued into the dialogue and pulse.

As for hit %, it varies. But I aim for 2/10 minimum. Some pennies never take off and I sell after a couple months. If I'm not that confident I might only buy 1K shares and see what happens, then buy more if it gains momentum. But for something like PHIL let's say you buy 150K shares for about $550. If it gets to just .2 which I think is more likely than not, that's 30K. And that kind of hit gives me more flexibility with other bets.

I try not to overthink it and have fun with it. Right after new year's I was following discussion about OZSC, did my DD and was about to pull the trigger on 100K shares at .01. But I hesitated and didn't pull the trigger. Now it's at .23 and probably going to .50-1. That's generally the type of opportunity I look for.

Meraki

Sparrow
PLRTF bout to tap $1
up about 30% rn

XXII churning according to plan around $3, and tapping new highs in pm

BTC, ETH - wow! Doubled my money in a month

BWEN, overall uptrend. Bit worried here
LI - undervalued but price action is terrible

Meraki

Sparrow
HCMC @rainy good call

take a look at HITIF for a potential play tmr or later this week.
penny stocks are exploding right now. Lots of potential.

you can practically taste the desperation in the market, a grand struggle between boomer blue longs who know little of OTC or crypto thinking they can skate on Pepsi & Apple for another 20yrs, while Z & Millenials pile in to speculation, creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

take as much advantage of this fake wealth creation as possible & then pile into actual assets

rainy

Kingfisher
My next bet is 100K shares of HBRM.

DO NOT BUY BASED ON THIS DD

Botanical Therapeutics Company which developed biodegradable, multi use patented COVID face masks
Potential merger with Tryp Therapeutics- lots of connections between the two including former founder
Capitalizing on cannabinoids and other products
New cross industry platforms/relationships
SE Asia & Euro distribution agreements(Singapore, Vietnam)(THG- British e-commerce)
Legacy debt written down
CEO & Board converted salary to stock at .30- so that's quickly the target(100K shares for $470 total now would return 30K if reached)
I was on the edge but volume went up over 3X normal to 1.25B today- it's bubbling
Affordable risk; trading at .0044 with a target of .03-$1 by EOY

Again, do not buy based on this DD. Your buying is your choice.

I just thought I would present the type of DD I complete in consideration. The above is not thorough, it's an outline.

Last edited:

Meraki

Sparrow
@rainy the fraction of a penny stuff has never been my cup of tea.
I did it years ago with PTN (which eventually hit $1) is probably more now. But the wait was excruciatin and the money was better used else where.

im also not crazy about billions in volume in these overly diluted companies, because in order for these stocks to get on most people‘s radar, they need to be above $1. That’s where the real move is, when normal ppl can call their broker and pile in above $1.

but, for a $500 gamble that’s a considerable payoff. HBRM, CIDM and a couple others came up in my searches too this week. I’ll be honing in & tossing some of the PLRTF money into one of these for sure.

what do you guys think of GLXY ?

kicking myself for not buying ANY MARA when I had been following it all year. Can’t believe it’s at $36 right now. Serious movers.

part of my overall growth strategy is to hit medium wins or bass hits and then evenly put 50% of that profit into even riskier speculatative stuff. So say, have a 20k winner, then put 10k into a long fund, 5k into HBRM, 5k into HITIF
etc. problem is, if the move doesn’t happen on your preferred timeframe it is a lot of babysitting.

im babysitting XXII right now, and even with all the dd, and that the company is legit doing good things, I don’t think they’ll see a move to 30$ like what RIOT, MARA, etc did. So I’m watching paint dry till March and can only put in $500-1k on short term weekly spec.

when they hit, they really hit. Was thinking of selling PLRTF at $1 but it’s tapping 1.20 now

Last edited:
It's a calculated risk for sure. But the mining industry or rare earth minerals has high demand. A domestic based company has high upside. If I were more conservative I'd wait for the PR and filings which are coming, but getting in now gets me in at a lower cost. This is a hold for me. For me I generally have 10 stocks I take a flyer on at any given time. I chart it out. I've hit on a few of these penny stocks and just hitting on 20-30% keeps me far ahead in profits.

Also currently holding

INKW
HCMC- which if they win the lawsuit with PM could boom quickly to .02-.05
RSSV
PVDG-A solid .50 return in my estimation

My personal opinion is HCMC and PHIL are most likely to be a hit. And if either one hits it is major money.

I invest in more mature stocks as well but I've always enjoyed the rush of penny stocks and hitting on a few. I just make sure it's only with my play money.

I don't like passing on my DD because if someone takes it and it's a loss, well I don't know your financial situation. I only invest in pennies what I can afford to lose.
What app do you use to trade penny stocks like these?

rainy

Kingfisher
What app do you use to trade penny stocks like these?
Recently, Smart Edge with Schwab. I like it.

@Meraki I get it. Everyone has their investing preferences. Right or wrong I enjoy the chase in penny stocks. But that fund is kept separate from more traditional investment vehicles, 401K, S&P 500, etc.

Currently looking into $WDLF and $TLSS.

I need to dig into $TLSS but there's rumors they expect to hit $3 per share in 2021 and return to their pre-covid valuation of $10 per share in 2022. Their AH was $750 per share so I want to understand what happened and why the positive outlook for a massive rebound.