Stock Market thread

I'd like to recommend examining this stock further: Sernova (TSX-V: SVA) (OTC:SEOVF)

In one month, it went from 0.98 USD to 1.67 USD. It is currently trading at 1.25 USD. We see Ichimoku Clouds when we examine investments over a longer period, suggesting continued growth over time.

Here is the article I used for reference: https://www.equedia.com/another-look-at-sernovas-stock-chart/

Had one invested on January 29th when the article was released, gains as high as 67% could have been realized. Holding and selling now would result in gains of 25%, all within a period of one month. However, the stock currently seems like a good buy, though you may need to be patient in holding it.

Also, heads up that I started a new page for penny stocks (those under $5) that trade on the larger exchanges (NASDAQ, NYSE, TSX) as opposed to OTC. Check it out here: https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/penny-stocks-on-nasdaq-nyse-tsx.39488/

Last edited:
Next stock I'd like to recommend keeping an eye on: Titan Mining (TSX:TI)

In one month, it has had a range of 0.60 CAD to 0.79 CAD, presently sitting at 0.75 CAD. Over a 5 year period, it has peaked at 1.50 CAD multiple times. I foresee it going up again in the long term, so it seems like a viable stock for small gains. However, I feel like a dip may come first; differing opinions are welcome.

Here is the article I used for reference: https://www.equedia.com/titan-mining-testing-a-key-break-out-level/

The stock currently seems like one worth keeping an eye on, though I am presently not inclined to buy it at current market value.

(Kindly note that 1 USD = 1.25 CAD, and 1 CAD = 0.80 USD at present)

Towgunner

Woodpecker
I'm curious to know everyone's opinion on the stock market right now. On one hand you have biden, which means more regulation and taxes. Both of those things make for lower profitability, which in turn tends to be bad for equity valuations. You also have the "woke", which is taking over corporations in ways we never thought would happen. Net: a woke women's studies graduate running a company will surely run it into the ground. So, plenty of reason to be bearish. But, I'm not. Because we have 5 trillion new money still making its way through the system that will keep equity prices, and likely all other kinds of securities and assets, elevated for a while. Plus there's another 2 trillion on the way with biden's stimulus. As such, I think the market will continue to go up but for no other reason then just inflation. And, I beginning to suspect that we're looking at inflation and even hyper inflation happening pretty soon.

aynrus

Kingfisher
Finhub had been pulling some of it's free API stock data making it subscription-only, which sucks.... Anyway it's 60 reqs/min for a free account.
I found TD Ameritrade API offers free real time data and all kinds of other stuff. 120/reqs min (but limit doesn't apply to trading/acccout-related requests)
IBKR API (TWS or IB Gateway) offers a lot of free stuff too (but seems like requires subscription for real time data). Currently they temporarily (as they say) disabled fundamentals data due to redesign. 50reqs/second (but I think there're might be additional rate-limiting such as when the same symbol data is requested)

Last edited:

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've decided to invest some "play-around" money (few hundred dollars) in a few penny stocks and some others. I checked out some of the stocks you all mentioned here, checking their financials posted online, how many employees they have, their history, etc. Unfortunately, I have found that Vanguard's brokerage won't allow me to buy certain OTC stocks and wants to charge a $50 foreign transaction fee for stocks not available through a US-based stock exchange. Since I only wanted to invest less than $100 in those foreign stocks, I decided not to buy them. Here's a few things I noticed during my research.

Palantir (PLTR) has doubled in price recently because of the WSB subreddit group. So, I'm not sure that right now is the best time to buy them. I think they have a good future, because they appear to have some solid government contracts, but once WSB stops talking about them, their stock may reduce in price a little and may be a better bargain.

Some of the rare earth mineral companies seem to have some solid potential. Of course, if they never find any rare earths, then they'll never go anywhere. But, their stock appears to be worth buying a few dollars worth, because if they hit they will really pop.

It seems that getting in on a company like PHIL, which is a key player in an emerging market (Vietnam), is a good bet. Unfortunately, Vanguard wouldn't let me buy that stock, but I think companies like that in other, developing countries are worth checking out. Which countries, like Vietnam, are emerging right now?

I checked-out some of the cruise line stocks and was disappointed to find that, overall, they're only down in price about 50%. For as shaky as the future is for those companies, I would have thought their stock would have fallen further than that. They basically have zero revenue for two years, and it may be 2-3 more years, if ever, before they get back to full operations. I would think their stock would be a fair value at about 25-30% of its peak from 2 years ago.

I've heard that the RV industry in the US may boom, because retired seniors aren't willing or able to engage in foreign travel or ocean cruises as much in the future. Unfortunately, there is no major player in the RV campground industry. KOA, for example, controls less than 10% of the RV campgrounds around the US and Canada. It seems most RV campgrounds are independently owned because there is a low barrier to entry. I wonder if investing in RV campgrounds/parks would be a good real estate investment? I suppose I should check out the manufacturers of the RVs themselves, like Winnebago. I believe that company is trying to introduce an all-electric RV, which might have some potential, especially if fuel prices go up.

I did buy a few shares in TLSS, a shipping company. Their stock, currently valued at $.05, was at $13 just two years ago. Apparently, their earnings have plummeted since then, and I can't see why. I know that's a shaky investment, because the indications are that they're going out of business. I think it probably would have been worth it to simply pick up the phone and give them a call and ask whoever answers what's going on with the company. I haven't done this before for a potential investment, but I have in other situations, and I've been surprised at how honest and willing to talk people are in that situation. I may do this with other penny stocks I look into.

Last edited:

tothepoint

Woodpecker
After the recent drop I'm looking forward to buy SQ once again. Last time I bought it at 206, sold at 255 then slapped myself as it went higher. I don't like chasing so didn't buy back. I'm waiting to see the evolution tomorrow and Tuesday, hoping for an entry under 220. This has been one of my most successful pump and dump stocks.

I really need to set alerts in my calendar a couple days before Jerome Powell speaks. Every single time he opens his mouth the market takes a dump.

Last edited:

aynrus

Kingfisher
Palantir (PLTR) has doubled in price recently because of the WSB subreddit group. So, I'm not sure that right now is the best time to buy them. I think they have a good future, because they appear to have some solid government contracts, but once WSB stops talking about them, their stock may reduce in price a little and may be a better bargain.

Some of the rare earth mineral companies seem to have some solid potential. Of course, if they never find any rare earths, then they'll never go anywhere. But, their stock appears to be worth buying a few dollars worth, because if they hit they will really pop.

It seems that getting in on a company like PHIL, which is a key player in an emerging market (Vietnam), is a good bet. Unfortunately, Vanguard wouldn't let me buy that stock, but I think companies like that in other, developing countries are worth checking out. Which countries, like Vietnam, are emerging right now?

I checked-out some of the cruise line stocks and was disappointed to find that, overall, they're only down in price about 50%. For as shaky as the future is for those companies, I would have thought their stock would have fallen further than that. They basically have zero revenue for two years, and it may be 2-3 more years, if ever, before they get back to full operations. I would think their stock would be a fair value at about 25-30% of its peak from 2 years ago.

I've heard that the RV industry in the US may boom, because retired seniors aren't willing or able to engage in foreign travel or ocean cruises as much in the future. Unfortunately, there is no major player in the RV campground industry. KOA, for example, controls less than 10% of the RV campgrounds around the US and Canada. It seems most RV campgrounds are independently owned because there is a low barrier to entry. I wonder if investing in RV campgrounds/parks would be a good real estate investment? I suppose I should check out the manufacturers of the RVs themselves, like Winnebago. I believe that company is trying to introduce an all-electric RV, which might have some potential, especially if fuel prices go up.

Palantir doubled shortly after IPO, in November, based on Biden being elected most likely (the lib cronies and all the covid- and political enemy-spying business they'll give to them). I seriously doubt wallstreetbts can move Palantir (they tried to pump it just recently near last earnings report but it fell instead, that reddit was full of disappointed posts showing losses). PLTR had been only falling since end of January, it's comical.

RV industry had been booming like crazy in 2020. Not only focus on domestic travel but increasing homelessness are the drivers.

kel

Ostrich
Unfortunately, Vanguard wouldn't let me buy that stock,
How attached are you to using Vanguard's brokerage services, versus something like eTrade (or Robinhood - I don't know anything about them, though)? eTrade lets you buy just about whatever, though if it's OTC you pay a $7 commission versus no commission for the past few years (like more brokerage firms) on "normal" securities.

I'm new to investing, and I neither have the time nor the interest to hunt for bargain deals so I've put a large pot of money in safer bets: MSFT, NVIDIA, AMZN, AAPL, SQ, AVGO, and stocks that I'd say are more risky .. NET, ABNB, LMND etc. Big and boring. I have no plan to touch them for a few years and if they can yield 2-4x in 5 years, I'm perfectly happy with that.

Meraki

Sparrow
Some brief DD on CTXR ($2 ish)

Technicals: 1hr, 4hr & daily chart looks great for a rebound. I think a big technical breakout can happen past $2.15. Stock is low float, and has about 30mil in cash to cover operating expenses for the considerable future. This is uptrending in a similar matter to XXII, and in a similar price range. Price is just pushed down due to overall market & a recent offering.

Fundamentals: Leadership is big name, old guys from Roche pharma and a few other co I have traded before. They have a big stake in the company and own 35%+ of the shares. Their phase 2 (2b) results were stellar. 0% patient discomfort & significantly more efficient than their nearest competitors. They are expected to have a meeting in March & post phase 3 results in April.

Immediate price target is $3-6 range.

If P3 goes as well as P2, possibly above $8-10 a share

I’m going to read more, but generally I like this sort of disruptive companies like XXII where they will have the only product in the market. CTXR is worth looking at, and playing into the hype for April. I’ll scale out by then and only save 30% or so for the binary of P3.

Quick read:

Last edited:

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've been researching more on rare earths and found that my assumptions may be wrong. According to what I've read, rare earth minerals are not that rare. The problem is that there is only one factory in the world that can process them, and it's in China. China recently announced that they would restrict processing of minerals at that plant from foreign sources, and that has, for the moment, made harvesting of rare earth minerals from outside of China by non-Chinese companies dead in the water.

Apparently, there is a perception that the processing of rare earths is extremely toxic for the environment. So, the leftist governments of the US and Canada, which kotow to radical environmentalism, may currently be unable or unwilling to build a rare earths processing plant. The wild card may be Australia. Doesn't Australia have a conservative government right now? If they were to build a processing plant, I imagine the stock value of Australian rare earths mining companies would skyrocket. In the meantime, it might be a good play to invest a few dollars in the various non-Chinese rare earth mining companies, hoping that some Western government will finally get the gumption to build one of those plants.

Meraki

Sparrow
Quick DD update....

$CTXR chart looking beautiful. Turns out, their only competitor just got a letter from the FDA preventing their product from immediately being approved... this opens the door for CTXR next month. Up 10% out of the open thru a resistance point.

My cash didn’t clear yet so I was only able to pick up a whopping 50 shares... far cry from my goal of 7-10k...

Profit potential here is real. I sold a few of my swing shares of XXII for an .89 profit per share from 2.55 - 3.44 so that I can start scaling into CTXR

typtre

Robin
I've been researching more on rare earths and found that my assumptions may be wrong. According to what I've read, rare earth minerals are not that rare. The problem is that there is only one factory in the world that can process them, and it's in China. China recently announced that they would restrict processing of minerals at that plant from foreign sources, and that has, for the moment, made harvesting of rare earth minerals from outside of China by non-Chinese companies dead in the water.

Apparently, there is a perception that the processing of rare earths is extremely toxic for the environment. So, the leftist governments of the US and Canada, which kotow to radical environmentalism, may currently be unable or unwilling to build a rare earths processing plant. The wild card may be Australia. Doesn't Australia have a conservative government right now? If they were to build a processing plant, I imagine the stock value of Australian rare earths mining companies would skyrocket. In the meantime, it might be a good play to invest a few dollars in the various non-Chinese rare earth mining companies, hoping that some Western government will finally get the gumption to build one of those plants.

White Mesa Mill of Energy Fuels ($UUUU) supposedly has some form of REE processing capability. It is a good play nonetheless just for Uranium.
Appia Energy ($API) is also interesting because the superpositioned Canadian government has in an instance of right-wing extremism authorized the construction of a REE processing plant in its vicinity.
Supposedly there is some sort of collaboration with Australian Lynas Company and some company (Blue something, not listed on any exchange) in the US to build a plant as well, but I have not done the research on that.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
White Mesa Mill of Energy Fuels ($UUUU) supposedly has some form of REE processing capability. It is a good play nonetheless just for Uranium.
Appia Energy ($API) is also interesting because the superpositioned Canadian government has in an instance of right-wing extremism authorized the construction of a REE processing plant in its vicinity.
Supposedly there is some sort of collaboration with Australian Lynas Company and some company (Blue something, not listed on any exchange) in the US to build a plant as well, but I have not done the research on that.

If they allow other companies to process their ore at their plant, then that may open things up for other Canadian companies like REEMF and AVLNF. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Canadian government restricts Appia from processing outside ore in order to appease the greens.

aynrus

Kingfisher
How attached are you to using Vanguard's brokerage services, versus something like eTrade (or Robinhood - I don't know anything about them, though)? eTrade lets you buy just about whatever, though if it's OTC you pay a $7 commission versus no commission for the past few years (like more brokerage firms) on "normal" securities.
Isn't Etrade most terrible of all brokers out there? I know that getting to their phone customer service takes hours and no callbacks. I had Etrade account, which I never used, and I know that they sold my most private information which went way beyond the usual "sharing with affiliates" (I believe they even shared my SSN with another entity) - I have FINRA and multiple other agency complaints going right now on this matter. The can do some sharing to enable their operations, but what happened went way beyond.
I read about people having their accounts frozen by Etrade and no one can explain them how to get the money out.
Vanguard supposedly allows penny stock trading...one might need to call in and get it activated.
Vanguard also is supposed to have free OTC trades (unless this is outdated info)

Last edited:

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
Isn't Etrade most terrible of all brokers out there? I know that getting to their phone customer service takes hours and no callbacks. I had Etrade account, which I never used, and I know that they sold my most private information which went way beyond the usual "sharing with affiliates" (I believe they even shared my SSN with another entity) - I have FINRA and multiple other agency complaints going right now on this matter. The can do some sharing to enable their operations, but what happened went way beyond.
I read about people having their accounts frozen by Etrade and no one can explain them how to get the money out.
Vanguard supposedly allows penny stock trading...one might need to call in and get it activated.
Vanguard also is supposed to have free OTC trades (unless this is outdated info)
Yes, Vanguard allows free OTC and penny stock trading, except for certain OTC stocks that are on the "gray list" or something like that. Also, OTC stocks that are not available through the US-based exchanges get a $50 "overseas stock" fee, even though one of the companies I tried to buy, Titan Mining, is a Canadian company. I'd say about half of the OTC stocks, mentioned in this thread, were on Vanguard's banned list.

Otherwise, Vanguard is very easy to use. I buy/trade the stocks within my Roth IRA account so I won't get a capital gains tax when I sell them. Although, at the amounts I'm buying (less than $1000 total), there probably wouldn't be much capital gains taxes unless any of those stocks really shoot through the roof on price.

With Vanguard, you can get exposure to most non-penny small and mid-sized company stocks (like Palantir) through one of their funds or ETFs. Palantir, for example, is part of the portfolio in their mid-cap funds and ETFs, a couple of which I have money in. So, I'm using Vanguard's brokerage for penny stocks because those stocks (some of them) are only included in Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index Fund, which dilutes the advantages you would potentially gain with careful stock picking.