Stock Market thread

What does everyone think of Cathie Wood? I'm seeing her name everywhere now.

I'm so sick of seeing her already. Like, get lighter-weight lens in your glasses. I do wonder why they're pushing her so hard, even with the attention on ARK. Apparently Wood is a serious Christian but I don't know much about that part of her life.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
A lot of traders follow her moves, she's like the female version of Warren Buffett. Her ARKK ETF looks interesting although I don't like her positions in TSLA, CRSP and TDOC.
TSLA is disruptive but massively overvalued. If Elon retires tomorrow I bet the stock will lose 50% of its value. It has become a meme at this point. EV is the future sure but all car manufacturers will catch up in the next 3-5 years. European cities are making it harder and harder to own a car, not only you can't find parking, many are also reducing the number of traffic lanes. With the rise of apps like Uber, declining birth rates and work from home initiatives I don't think global demand for automobiles is likely to increase. There's a limit on how much TSLA can grow imo.
CRSP could be good for a 10-20 year investment horizon if they can deliver a product but I think there are better ways to invest your money in the next 5 years. Right now this is a black hole.
TDOC did well last year but in Europe you can have a video conference with your doctor through the public system. You also get it by paying for a cheap private insurance. I just don't see what is the added value here.

Yes, looks like Corsair might be a candidate for a short squeeze. I just bought three shares @ $31.60 before market close. I know that's chicken feed, but I'm just trying to get a feel for playing squeezes before trying larger amounts in the future.

Anyway, looks like the market is partially rebounding today. I was kind of hoping it would decline for a few days to a week to give me some discounting on some more penny stocks I was hoping to buy in the immediate future.

I don't like that drop on Friday morning. I think the next 3 weeks will be rough. Going to sit on the sidelines until I see at least 3 green days in a row.
Right now I think CRSR is fairly valued but there is still room to go lower in the 20s if the market does not stabilize. A good strategy here would be to average down buying smaller amounts instead of going all in.
I'm bullish that they will keep growing in the future: there's a shortage of hardware due to the crypto mining craze and PC gaming is growing faster than ever. I don't see this one sitting under 40 for a long time with or without a short squeeze.

Last edited:

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
Update on the rare earths (RE) situation in the US. For some reason, it was hard to piece together the current picture in the US, but here it is as I understand it:

- MP Materials (NYSE: MP; $39.40) currently operates the only operating rare earths mine in the US: the Mountain Pass mine on the California/Nevada border. It also operates the only RE processing plant, which is at that mine. However, the plant does not process all of the ore, only a few select elements. The rest of the ore is shipped unprocessed to China. A Chinese company, Shenghe, owns between 8-10% of MP.

- Rare Element Resources (REEMF; $2.62) is developing an RE mine in northeast Wyoming. It plans to operate a processing plant in the nearby town. It has yet to produce any ore or revenue, but it has harvested some raw ore which it has in storage.

- Texas Mineral Resources (TMRC; $2.62) is developing an RE mine (Round Top) in southwest Texas near El Paso. As of 2021, according to its website, it has ceased exploration because it ran out of money. They were apparently hoping to get a government contract to fund further development, which has not come through (see below). They have a formal partnership with USA Rare Earths (see below).

- USA Rare Earths (USARE) is a private company which appears to want to be a management, exploration, and processing company of REs in the US, but not to actually mine them. It's only partner so far is TMRC, to whom it helped fund their exploration in Texas until recently. USARE reportedly plans to issue an IPO or a SPAC sometime this year to allow them to fund further exploration at Round Top and to build a processing plant in Colorado. According to TMRC's website, if the Texas mine goes into full operation, the processing plant will eventually relocate to Texas. I suspect that USARE wants to build the plant in Colorado so it can process ore from MP, REEMF, and TMRC as well as any other companies that start production in the Western US. If they go public this year, their goal is to have the plant in operation by 2023.

All of these companies were hoping to get a huge grant or contract from the US Department of Defense (DoD) to continue their exploration, start their mines, and/or build processing plants. It didn't happen. Instead, last month the DoD awarded the contract to the Australian company Lynas (LYC; $6.10), which will build its plant in Texas (Hondo) and ship ore from Australia to be processed there. They have not said if they would be willing to process ore from any of the American companies listed above.

That's the situation with rare earths in the US. I can think of one big question: Will the Biden Administration continue to fund American RE independence from China? If Trump was President, I think the answer would clearly be "yes." But, I don't know with Biden/Harris.

Last edited:

Castelnau

Kingfisher
Coca Cola (KO) might be a good buy.

I heard they are going to buy a controlling stake in Bodyarmor which looks poised to overtake Gatorade as the #1 sportsdrink.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
Coca Cola (KO) might be a good buy.

I heard they are going to buy a controlling stake in Bodyarmor which looks poised to overtake Gatorade as the #1 sportsdrink.

Coca-Cola is one of the top dividend paying stocks I have, and its certainly less volatile or risky than the others (tobacco and oil companies).

Worth it, if getting dividends is your thing.

Castelnau

Kingfisher
Coupang (CPNG) is about to debut.

Saw this detailed post on Reddit.

typtre

Robin
Coca-Cola is one of the top dividend paying stocks I have, and its certainly less volatile or risky than the others (tobacco and oil companies).

Worth it, if getting dividends is your thing.
Altria has not skipped a year since they started paying a dividend in 1972 and is currently yielding 7,14%, double the dividends of Less-White-Cola.

But I have no idea how to measure future risk - they both provide unhealthy products.

typtre

Robin
Update on the rare earths (RE) situation in the US. For some reason, it was hard to piece together the current picture in the US, but here it is as I understand it:

I will add:
Separated Rare Earth Products Produced in Europe from U.S.-Sourced Feedstock is Expected to Strengthen and Diversify U.S. and European Rare Earth Supply Chains

TORONTO and LAKEWOOD, CO, March 1, 2021 /CNW/ - Neo Performance Materials (TSX: NEO) ("Neo") and Energy Fuels Inc. (NYSE American: UUUU) (TSX: EFR) ("Energy Fuels") are pleased to announce a new rare earth production initiative spanning European and North American critical material supply chains. The initiative will produce value-added rare earth products from natural monazite sands, a byproduct of heavy mineral sands mined in the southeastern United States. Energy Fuels will process the monazite sands into a mixed rare earth carbonate ("RE Carbonate") in Utah for use as feed material for Neo's value-added separated rare earth production plant in Europe. Energy Fuels is also continuing to evaluate developing additional value-added U.S rare earth production capabilities in Utah in the future.

Under an agreement in principle signed today by the companies' respective affiliates, subject to completion of definitive agreements, Colorado-based Energy Fuels will process natural monazite sands into an RE Carbonate beginning in March or April 2021 and ship a portion of that production to Neo's rare earth separations facility in Sillamäe, Estonia ("Silmet"). Neo will then process the RE Carbonate into separated rare earth materials for use in rare earth permanent magnets and other rare earth-based advanced materials. Because of increasing demand for value-added rare earth materials in European manufacturing, Toronto-based Neo seeks to expand and diversify its current supplies of rare earth feedstock at Silmet, which is the only operational rare earth separations facility in Europe. Silmet has been separating rare earths into commercial value-added products for more than 50 years.

In addition to supplying RE Carbonate to Neo, Energy Fuels is also evaluating the potential to develop U.S. separation capabilities at its White Mesa Mill, or nearby, as it works to increase its monazite sand ore supplies, thereby fully integrating a U.S. rare earth supply chain in the coming years, in addition to supplying RE Carbonate to European markets.

What the task force will recommend wasn’t immediately clear, but the lawmakers are interested in U.S. dependencies on foreign imports like semi-conductors, rare-earth minerals and battery technology with uses for the defense and commercial sectors ― as well as medical supplies, where shortages might cripple the military.

Coming from heartland manufacturing states, both were open to fixes that involve reshoring of U.S. manufacturing and change through positive incentives for businesses.

Cuchulainn2016

Woodpecker
Altria has not skipped a year since they started paying a dividend in 1972 and is currently yielding 7,14%, double the dividends of Less-White-Cola.

But I have no idea how to measure future risk - they both provide unhealthy products.
I meant that coke is pretty safe, people are always going to drink it. Tobacco and fossil fuels.....?

Still relatively safe, but 20 years ago dividends on shares in banks was considered safe.

I just really consider them a nice side revenue stream that I forget about, and I only check the account they go into once a year.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
I recently reactivated a dormant tastytrade account now that they developed extensive CME Futures trading:
tastytrade now offers a beginner futures trading course featuring videos, written content, and quizzes, all for free!

Yes they include the enormously volatile huge ATR BTC CME Futures contracts as well as Micro Eminis:

As with every trading platform Schwab, Fidelity, Etrade, Ameritrade, etc etc it pays to learn the ins and outs of the platform from an experienced user with patience to teach you both the basics and the useful hacks - Here it is How to Use Tastyworks to Trade Micro Emini Futures for Fun and Profit...

Beats How to Raise Chinchillas for Fun and Profit Believe Me You!

and;
Day Trading Micro Futures

BOOK: More info at Amazon: http://bit.ly/daytrademicros Organized to speed your learning.. All the info you need in one place.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
I meant that coke is pretty safe, people are always going to drink it. Tobacco and fossil fuels.....?

Still relatively safe, but 20 years ago dividends on shares in banks was considered safe.

I just really consider them a nice side revenue stream that I forget about, and I only check the account they go into once a year.
From an Old Elliott Ness Movie speaking to Frank Nitti - Al Capone's Enforcer...

Nitti: The Problem with you Ness is you FIGHT Human Nature...

We will always win because we SERVE Human Nature!

Winners; Cannabis, Tobacco, Alchohol, Gambling/Gaming, Sports Bets Draft Kings Fan Duel, OnlyFans, Gentlemen's Clubs, Fast Foods/Snacks, Surf and Turf Carnivores Restaurants, Hydrocarbons for Trucks, Cars, Planes and Heating, Dr. Gundry's Plant Paradox Cookbook to recover from a lifetime of the former... My Investments Strategy in a Nutshell.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Harry Dent's latest rant - the $1.9T fiscal stimulus is driving markets higher in the short term - his revised S&P Market top before his Zero Hour beginning of the next Great Depression is in the range of 4,000 to 4,050 then a great retrace in all securities combined with a major Real Estate Correction - he does not mention BTC but history, as a guide traders sell most of their liquid assets to cover margin calls so cryptos now up wildly, will not be immune to a serious correction.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I've been repositioning some of my portfolio in anticipation of a market meltdown/correction for a couple of years now. I'm ready for it. It would be nice if it hits before the end of this year.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
What the gentleman above is saying makes no sense to me. How will people afford to gamble and buy weed if they'll struggle to buy food, especially since these types of people are usually low income ? With higher inflation these industries will suffer the most imo. They're already inflated because millions of people are bored sitting at home. Once countries start opening up their stock prices will correct, kind of a lose lose scenario unless politicians suddenly decide to pass more favorable legislation.
Then he mentions tech stocks taking a beating. A lot of tech companies have grown considerably in the past year and as opposed to weed or gambling, I don't think this is temporary. People who have gotten used to buying their groceries online will not suddenly rush into traffic to spend hours in lines. I'd say the NASDAQ has been consolidating recently and it may continue to stay flat for most of 2021. That wouldn't be such a bad thing, it just means that after 3-4 quarters of fundamentals catching up the whole market will take off.

Last edited:

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
S&P 500 ES1! Continuous CME Futures Chart from 2 March 2009 low to current high.

Longest Modern Interventionist Fed Bull Run now on a Covid-Recovery Money Heroin Highs - about to run smack dab into the Biden-Obama- Harris-Bernie-AOC far left new Taxation and Re-Regulation pro Chinese Communist anti USA business Agenda - Nationwide Foreclosures and Evictions moratorium extended through Sept 21 - About when vaccine herd immunity to be achieved therefore no more forbearance. Can you say SHTF Perfect Storm scenario a.k.a a dramatic ALL Markets correction (Stocks, Commodities, Equities, Real Estate and Cryptos):

1615748970584.png

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
And when this mega bubble pops Katie get out of the way of the door as the Herd stampedes out right off a cliff!

Castelnau

Kingfisher

Feels like now is the time to buy Alibaba (BABA). Everyone is nervous about how hard the CCP will come down on it and Jack Ma but I think after this punishment they'll go back to printing money again. If all they're going to do is levy a fine and force it to divest media and other periphery businesses (which I think will actually benefit Alibaba since now they will be super focused on its core business) then Alibaba should come out of this relatively unscathed.

Of course nobody knows if the CCP will punish Alibaba even more but as they say the riskier the road the greater the profit.