Stock Market thread

tothepoint

Woodpecker
STNE looks like a solid choice right now. This was one of my first picks in November at a similar price in the low 60s. It triggered my stop loss at the beginning of March and sold it at a nice 20% gain. I could've made more if I had sold earlier but I wasn't expecting such an aggressive selloff.

What makes me bullish on this: cash is still king in Brazil, there's still lots of room to grow in the future with the inevitable shift to digital payments, stock never really took off (in went from 40 something before pandemic to 60s in November 2020 and March 2021 which makes it good value compared to other tech companies), selloff is mostly due to the media scaremongering about the impact of coronavirus (Bolsonaro is now the new Trump...) and has nothing to do with the fundamentals, it didn't help that all of this happened at the same time as the inflation concerns.

Last edited:

Cortés

Woodpecker
Gold Member
STNE looks like a solid choice right now. This was one of my first picks in November at a similar price in the low 60s. It triggered my stop loss at the beginning of March and sold it at a nice 20% gain. I could've made more if I had sold earlier but I wasn't expecting such an aggressive selloff.

What makes me bullish on this: cash is still king in Brazil, there's still lots of room to grow in the future with the inevitable shift to digital payments, stock never really took off (in went from 40 something before pandemic to 60s in November 2020 and March 2021 which makes it good value compared to other tech companies), selloff is mostly due to the media scaremongering about the impact of coronavirus (Bolsonaro is now the new Trump...) and has nothing to do with the fundamentals, it didn't help that all of this happened at the same time as the inflation concerns.

I wouldn't say that cash is king in Brazil. Even in the countryside here 95% of vendors accept my international credit card. What's blowing up is an app called Pix, basically Brazilian venmo. If I'm not mistaken it's owned by one of the major banks here.

I would agree that Bolsonaro is the new Trump, and with that populism comes strong opposition from the establishment and elites. Right now, the lockdowns are the strictest they've ever been here, and i think they are running a campaign to destroy the economy and make it look like Bolso is fumbling the vaccine rollout and his nonchalance to the virus is causing all this. Exactly what they did to trump leading up to the election. Also Lula just got out of prison and will be eligible to run. Everyone, and i mean everyone says Bolsonaro has 0% chance of winning if he's up against Lula. My optimism in the future of Brazil has dropped quite a bit in the last month.

I'm not familiar with that stock but personally I wouldn't touch any investment in Brazil right now (aside from buying cheap property) unless there was some paradigm shift and it was looking like Bolsonaro had a good shot at winning reelection. From what my nationalist friends here say is that best case scenario there is a military intervention in the Lula case/election. Bolso still does have a very large loyal following

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
So far this morning it looks like the fire sale on stocks is entering its third straight day. I sure wasn't expecting it with the stimulus checks starting to roll out this week. We'll see if it picks back up. I hope it goes up for another month or so at least before the Big Correction and Downturn, but as I've said before I'm hopeless about predicting these things.

Blade Runner

Pelican
Exactly. Physical metals, land, and food stores.
Even though we have quite a few back and forths on bitcoin, I don't have an issue with any of these: my point is that BTC is for the % probability that things aren't totally awful as in end of the world awful (that's why it's even more important to have, I argue, since that scenario is a loser for everyone, big time). What do you think is the best way to have several months of "food stores"? Or are you a work the land guy?

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I read in one of the investment forums in Quora that the recent 2 1/2 day selloff in the stock market was due to bond traders promoting an exaggerated rumor that severe inflation was on the horizon. Apparently, the bond people were generating an artificial bump in the bond market so they could cop a quick profit.

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
Fascinating Technology could revolutionize EVs - but do we really want this tech in our cell phones... New Biz Opp Geiger Counter Apps and Sensors that plug into cell phones like the Square CC Reader...

“Forever” diamond battery takes up to 28,000 years to run out of charge

California startup Nano Diamond Battery (NDB) says it has designed a battery made from nuclear waste that will take up to 28,000 years to run out of charge. The “forever” diamond battery was developed for use in deep space and other niche applications, but a consumer-facing prototype is also in the works.

The firm said that the latter model will be able to last for nine consecutive years. It can power smartphones, electric vehicles and other devices. When powered by the “forever” battery, machines will never have to be recharged for many years.

Harnessing energy from nuclear waste
NDB’s new battery will derive its power from radioactive isotopes recycled from nuclear waste such as radioactive graphite. Each unit will contain a single crystalline diamond that absorbs energy from the isotopes. As the isotopes have lifetimes of several thousands of years, they will keep emitting energy and the battery will never have to be recharged for a long time.

“This battery has two different merits,” NDB CEO and co-founder Nima Golsharifi said in an interview with Future Net Zero last October. “One is that it uses nuclear waste and converts it into something good. And the second is that it runs for a much longer time than the current batteries.”

For safety, the radioactive diamond will be wrapped in multiple coatings of extremely durable synthetic diamonds. These will act as a tamper-proof protective layer to prevent leakage. NDB also claims that the radiation levels from a cell will be less than what the human body emits, making the battery safe for use in a variety of applications.

The technology has all the potential to revolutionize battery making and solve the energy crisis. It can power off-grid communities and lead to battery packs that can be pulled out of an old device and installed in a new one, avoiding the need for new batteries and thereby reducing battery waste.

The use of nuclear waste will also offer significant cost reduction and environmental benefits. Radioactive waste is extremely dangerous, expensive and difficult to store. It persists in the environment due to its long decay times. As such, recycling it will significantly cut back radioactive waste sitting interminably in storage near power plants.

Diamond battery still just a proof of concept, will be available in three years

The firm hasn’t produced the batteries yet but has a proof-of-concept design, called “Diamond Nuclear Voltaic,” which has been tested at a lab last year at the University of Cambridge. Researchers have been able to achieve a breakthrough 40 percent charge, which is a substantial improvement over the 15 percent charge collection efficiency of commercial diamonds.

“With the NDB battery, we have achieved a massive, groundbreaking, proprietary technological breakthrough of a battery that is emission-free, lasts thousands of years and only requires access to natural air in order to power devices,” Golsharifi shared in a statement last year.

He said in the interview that the firm is currently focused on developing the consumer version, which he estimated would be available in around three years. (Related: Revolutionary battery can self-assemble and charge your phone in SECONDS.)

Other companies are also working to create better batteries. Last year, Chinese battery giant Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Ltd. announced that it was ready to produce a “million-mile” battery pack. Chairman Zeng Yuqun said that the battery lasts for 16 years or 1.24 million miles, which would allow electric cars to go for 400 miles between charges. Warranties on available batteries cover only eight years or 150,000 miles.

In February last year, the firm signed a two-year deal with Elon Musk’s Tesla Inc. to supply batteries for the latter’s electric vehicles. It was reported later that year that the million-mile battery pack would be used very soon for Tesla’s Model 3 sedan, which would be rolled out first in China.

Follow Inventions.news to stay updated about the latest news on technology.

Sources include:

EnergyLiveNews.com

FutureNetZero.com

NewAtlas.com

Mining.com

Bloomberg.com

CNBC.com

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I'm learning a few things by experience in investing in individual stocks. It seems, at least with my Vanguard brokerage account, that if you want to buy a stock immediately, you should do a "market" order, as it will execute immediately. However, unless you're in a hurry, it's better to do a limit order and set the upper limit at either the market price or a few cents lower. It appears that the Vanguard trading algorithm is set to wait on buying the stock on a limit order if its price is dropping, and won't execute the order until it pauses or starts to go back up. Doing limit trades like this has saved me a few dollars by buying the stocks at a slightly lower price than I had asked for. I don't know if all brokers do this or not.

NoMoreTO

Ostrich
I'm learning a few things by experience in investing in individual stocks. It seems, at least with my Vanguard brokerage account, that if you want to buy a stock immediately, you should do a "market" order, as it will execute immediately. However, unless you're in a hurry, it's better to do a limit order and set the upper limit at either the market price or a few cents lower. It appears that the Vanguard trading algorithm is set to wait on buying the stock on a limit order if its price is dropping, and won't execute the order until it pauses or starts to go back up. Doing limit trades like this has saved me a few dollars by buying the stocks at a slightly lower price than I had asked for. I don't know if all brokers do this or not.

Yes. One caveat is that if the stock moves up from there your order might not be taken. It would need to wiggle down to it to grab your bid.

I use limit orders to buy a stock at X price. Try not to place your limit buy and sells at round numbers, this is a common thing and there are usually lots of limits piled up at these amounts.

For instance, if you want to buy a stock if it dips down to $25 , put your limit in at $25.02 not $25.00. But for the investor with even a 3 month time horizon this is probably immaterial. Still, counting your pennies and being precise adds up in the end.

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
Yes. One caveat is that if the stock moves up from there your order might not be taken. It would need to wiggle down to it to grab your bid.
What I do in this situation is if I really want the stock, I'll put in a limit order then watch the quote dashboard for that stock while the market is open. If the price starts to climb up, I'll change it from limit to a market order and it will immediately execute.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
I wouldn't say that cash is king in Brazil. Even in the countryside here 95% of vendors accept my international credit card. What's blowing up is an app called Pix, basically Brazilian venmo. If I'm not mistaken it's owned by one of the major banks here.

Read somewhere that 1 in 4 Brazilians don't have a bank account or have not used a bank in the past 6 months. Brazil does seem to be under attack lately on mainstream media but the company is solid.

Pix was actually mentioned in the earnings transcripts:

This movement tends to accelerate the secular trend of payment digitalization, increasing our addressable market. Years ago, we decided to build a preparatory API-driven banking platform that will enable us to offer PIX solutions to SMB and digital clients and provide our Banking-as-a-Service infrastructure to integrated partners such as software companies, wallets, among others. We will help merchants with technology and security to capture transactions through PIX QR codes, enable e-commerce transactions, and help disrupt boletos. We can then monetize on these transactions, made without intermediaries such as issuance and brand fees, offering a value proposition to our clients, which will accept and use a faster and cheaper payment method.

Last edited:

kel

Ostrich

I haven't followed IPOs in years, though it used to be a pretty consistent way of quickly getting a 10% return on hype.

tothepoint

Woodpecker
Coinbase had a lot of hype, maybe it will take off next week. Cathie Wood is buying so there is some potential for quick short term gains although I would be careful holding it. CRSP has a lot of bag holders that were riding on the hype at the end of last year.

ABNB has been choppy, although it did hold up quite well during March. I just don't see much upside for the risk of dropping at least 30-40% from current levels. NASDAQ has been hitting new highs, yet many stocks in companies with high debt/zero profit have not recovered.

NVDA has taken off lately, although I don't get why. You still cannot find their GPUs in stock, they've been having issues since last year. Facebook is doing well although there's a lot of negative press around them. Amazon also gaining although not quite as much as I had hoped. SQ is up again in the 250s, seems that a lot of overpriced stocks are reaching new highs while the cheaper bargain bin ones are stagnating.

Last edited:

aeroektar

Pelican
What do people here think about uranium stocks? I heard it put this way recently "you could buy up all of the uranium producers, who supply 11% of the worlds power, for $20B, while tesla has a $700B market cap".

Blade Runner

Pelican
What do people here think about uranium stocks? I heard it put this way recently "you could buy up all of the uranium producers, who supply 11% of the worlds power, for $20B, while tesla has a $700B market cap".
A 5 year hold will be phenomenal unless you get scared by a big deflationary move. My feeling is that the deflationary spiral will be transitory as the Fed will paper it over and off to the inflation phase we go

budoslavic

Owl
Gold Member

There’s a single New Jersey deli doing $35,000 in sales valued at $100 million in the stock market​

Hedge fund manager David Einhorn warned of dangers for retail investors that he sees in the market, and one of his main examples was a tiny New Jersey deli with a market capitalization of more than $100 million.

The Paulsboro, New Jersey-based Your Hometown Deli is the sole location for Hometown International, which has an eye-popping market value despite totaling $35,748 in sales in the last two years combined, according to securities filings.

“Someone pointed us to Hometown International (HWIN), which owns a single deli in rural New Jersey ... HWIN reached a market cap of $113 million on February 8. The largest shareholder is also the CEO/CFO/Treasurer and a Director, who also happens to be the wrestling coach of the high school next door to the deli. The pastrami must be amazing,” Einhorn said in a letter to clients published Thursday.

Hometown, which appears to have begun trading in 2019, according to FactSet, has shares that trade over the counter and rarely has more than a few hundred shares change hands per day. Often, there are no trades logged in an entire trading day.

Still, the company’s market cap is just over $100 million, according to FactSet.

Hometown did not immediately return a request seeking comment made to the phone number listed in the company’s securities filings. A manager was not available to comment at the deli’s phone number.

According to the company’s latest 10-K filing, the company’s single location was closed from March 23 to September 8 of last year because of the coronavirus pandemic. During that time, the company’s stock price rose to $9.25 per share from $3.25 per share. It last traded at just under $14 per share.

The company sold 2.5 million shares last year and has about 60 total shareholders, according a filing.

Hometown reported more than $600,000 in expenses last year, up from about $154,000 in 2019. The company also reported a net cash gain of $2.2 million from financing activities, such as selling stock, in 2020.

Einhorn’s highlighting of Hometown comes as politicians, regulators and high-profile investors have publicly fretted about the boom in certain types of stocks over the past year.

As a new wave of retail investors joined the market in recent months, special purpose acquisition companies have launched at a record pace and some stocks, like GameStop and Discovery, have seen wild swings after being bid up by traders on Reddit or hedge funds.

The over-the-counter stock market, often referred to as pink sheets and penny stocks, have historically been a risky place for investors. Shares of penny stocks have also soared in recent months.

236-2367373_pepe-the-clown-smug-meme-clown-pepe-hd.png