Stock Market thread

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
When I was listing mining companies that produce metals used in lithium batteries, I didn't list any that produce actual lithium. Lithium itself seems to be a little more complicated than cobalt, nickel, vanadium, and graphite. There is no "market price" for lithium as it doesn't have an international market standard. Lithium prices collapsed from 2019 through the end of 2020. The fall was, in part, because there was overproduction in lithium because Chinese domestic production of it surged while at the same time battery production was falling, which was exacerbated by the pandemic economic slowdowns. The crash in lithium prices almost put some Australian and Chilean mining companies out of business, because that's where the majority of non-Chinese lithium comes from.

The price of lithium now seems to be going back up, but there are still some fairly cheap prices out there for Lithium producers, with some exceptions. Here are some Lithium companies.

Large companies:
- Sociedad Quimica y Minera- SQM
- Albemarle- ALB

Mid-sized:
- Livent- LIHM
- Lithium Americas- LAC
- Orocobre- OROCF
- Mineral Resources- MALRY
- Galaxy Resources- GALXF

As for small companies, I notice that many of the ones I looked at have very amateurish websites and presentations. I'll list the ones that looked more legit at the top, with the more fly-by-night ones after that:

- Rock Tech Lithium- RCKTF- Peter Thiel is a backer of this company, so I think its stock price is a little elevated because of his name being attached. They're developing a mine in Canada and will process it in Europe.

- Millennial Lithium- MLNLF- Argentina. Their presentation has hard dates on it, such as when they'll begin production (2024).

The following appear to be more risky or otherwise very early in development and don't provide a timeline on when they expect to go into production:

- Lithium Chile- LTMCF
- Noram Ventures- NRVTF
- E3 Metals- EEMMF
- Pure Energy Minerals- PEMIF
- Frontier Lithium- LITOF
- Alpha Lithium- ALLIF
- Cypress Development- CYDVF
- American Lithium- LIACF
- Critical Elements Lithium- CRECF
- Megawatt Lithium & Battery Metals- WALRF
- Lake Resources- LLKKF
- Pilbara Minerals- PILBF
- Kidman Resources
- Argosy Minerals- ARYMF
- AVZ Minerals- AZZVF

Last edited:
60 minute AMA with Dr. Susanne Trimbath (whistle blower). Must watch. It's organized by a GME subreddit, but the AMA is mostly about the stock market as a house of cards. Very good watch, exciting if you're hopeful for this "movement."

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
I don't invest in stocks at all, but work in supply chain where we have a huge shortage of drivers. Looks like there is expected to be a big gas shortage this spring and summer, driving up prices. Not sure if you guys could parlay that into anything useful.
If I understand correctly, a surge in inflation particularly hurts fixed-interest bonds and dividend-paying stocks. Ways to hedge against it are:

1. Inflation-adjusted bonds, like TIPS (one of the mutual funds I'm invested in with Vanguard is an "Inflation-protected securities fund.")
2. Commodities like precious metals, oil, and agricultural products. So, would investing in mining companies be a good play?
3. Real estate, including REITs (real estate mutual funds)
4. Money market- I recently reduced my money market exposure. Should I up it back a little?
5. Shorting dividend stocks

What am I missing?

C-Note

Ostrich
Gold Member
Here are some Lithium companies.
I neglected to mention Standard Lithium (STLHF). It's a Canadian company that has two projects in Arkansas and California. They say they may have initial production in Arkansas by as early as the middle of next year. Their stock jumped by a dollar to $3.43 over the past couple of weeks, but if they deliver on that date for starting production, then I don't think that price is necessarily too high. If they really can get into full production within a year or so, then their stock could really pop, of course predicated that Elon Musk et al are still screaming for more lithium.

I haven't done a deep dive on the company, just a cursory glance at their website and corporate presentation.

Also, I should add that Orocobre is currently acquiring Galaxy and E3 Metals looks more legit than they did at first glance.

Last edited:

Deepdiver

Crow
Gold Member
May 2021 Strategic Intel Report 65 page PDF - here is the TLDR summary:

The List Of Twenty To Sell Here is the list of twenty stocks to dump if you own them. Below, explains why each one, at current prices, offers investors minimal upside and enormous downside: 1. Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) 2. Starbucks (NYSE: SBUX) 3. Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) 4. Wynn Resorts Ltd. (NASDAQ: WYNN) 5. Capri Holdings (NYSE: CPRI) 6. Royal Caribbean Group (NYSE: RCL) 7. American Airlines Group (NASDAQ: AAL) 8. Uber Technologies (NYSE: UBER) 9. Host Hotels & Resorts Inc. (NYSE: HST) 10. Burlington Stores (NYSE: BURL) 11. Wayfair Inc (NYSE: W) 12. Beyond Meat (NASDAQ: BYND) 13. Invesco Solar ETF (NYSE: TAN) 14. SolarEdge Technologies (NASDAQ: SEDG) 15. Enphase Energy (NASDAQ: ENPH) 16. Jinko Solar Holding (NYSE: JKS) 17. Plug Power (NYSE: PLUG) 18. Tesla Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA) 19. General Motors (NYSE: GM) 20. Carvana Co. (NYSE: CVNA)

And the flip side...

The five stocks we feature below are quite distinct from one another. They are: • a fertilizer manufacturer; • a distributor of consumable supplies to the oil and gas industry; • a shipping company specializing in liquid petroleum gases like propane; • a financial company with an iconic credit card brand; and • a technology company that’s doubted because it’s considered to be slow-moving and uncool. You may notice a common thread in the five stocks we feature below: They are, generally speaking, considered to be “value stocks.” Value stocks were out of favor until late 2020. Prior to that, “growth stocks” ruled the roost. After a decade of underperformance in the 2010s, value stocks are likely to outperform growth stocks in the 2020s. While there is no universally accepted definition for either type of stock, some stocks are clearly in one category or another. One way to differentiate growth stocks from value stocks is to gauge how high investors’ expectations are for future financial performance. If investors have very high expectations for future revenue and earnings growth, they will be willing to buy and hold stocks at very high valuations. Expectations tend to be significantly lower for value stocks. So, value stocks are generally under much lower pressure to deliver outstanding performance.

We think the expectations embedded in the prices of these five stocks are still low, and easily beatable: 1.CF Industries Holdings (NYSE: CF) 2.NOW Inc. (NYSE: DNOW) 3.Dorian LPG (NYSE: LPG) 4.American Express Co. (NYSE: AXP) 5.Oracle Corp (NYSE: ORCL)

Each Stock is reviewed in Depth in the Report.

Also ten stocks we expect to perform well in the post-pandemic world – to be a valuable addition to your subscription.

In preview, here are the names of each stock. Below, you’ll find our detailed case for each one, along with how much upside potential we expect in the years ahead.
  1. Kinross Gold (NYSE: KGC)
  2. Yamana Gold (NYSE: AUY)
  3. Barrick Gold (NYSE: GOLD)
  4. Kirkland Lake Gold (NYSE: KL)
  5. Newmont Corp. (NYSE: NEM)
  6. Alamos Gold (NYSE: AGI)
  7. U.S. Global Investors (NASDAQ: GROW)
  8. Freeport-McMoRan (NYSE: FCX)
  9. CME Group (NASDAQ: CME)
  10. Edgewell Personal Care (NYSE: EPC)
These aren’t official recommendations, so I won’t be tracking them in portfolio updates. We’re publishing these stock picks to provide you with extra guidance and added value for your subscription ahead of a post-pandemic world.