Stop Cursing Challenge

condor29

Chicken
You should tell this to Jay Dyer who will actually swear on his Youtube videos along with his hardcore critical nature of anything that is not Christian Orthodox. The swearing part was actually what I got tired of in his videos and one major reason I stopped watching his channel along with a few other things that were annoying me but great article and great you point out this issue Roosh which is quite common even for Christians.

joy_grace

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
What I found interesting is how the Movie: "Lord of the Rings" is so clean of curse words. Yet their speech can be so eloquent and biting. Surprisingly wholesome.

Yep, there are people who's able to disapprove and rebuke others without any single utterance of curse/dirty words. I found it to be more badass. It's also sounds more intelligent (using curse/dirty words is lazy and easy).

Btw, I think I saw a similar username as yours commenting several times on Anonymous Conservative posts...

andy dufresne

Pelican
Other Christian
Question for those on this thread:

In more secular times I found the saying 'F*** it' to provide release. The F bomb can be used in a context where it is not used in anger but more in release.

I've wondered often what I should replace it with. Any ideas? Something simple, but with the same power of emotional release.

joy_grace

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian

In more secular times I found the saying 'F*** it' to provide release. The F bomb can be used in a context where it is not used in anger but more in release.

I've wondered often what I should replace it with. Any ideas? Something simple, but with the same power of emotional release.

Maybe: "Who cares!"

Another context, instead of "f* off" I would use "back off."

Doubting Thomas

Sparrow
Catholic
I've tried to work on correcting my vices. I've made significant progress on most of them, but this one remains at the forefront.

I went through my social media recently to make sure I hadn't written anything in college that someone would find and cause me trouble. I didn't have anything that would get me fired, but I was struck by the incredible amount of foul language I had on there. I was like I wasn't able to form a thought without an f-bomb in there. And this was the face I sought to put forward for the world to see on a public platform? Needless to say, it has all since been deleted.

Arby

Sparrow
Woman
Atheist
I don't really swear very much, and I think I could reduce it even further without too much difficulty, except in one context - and that one is a vice in and of itself. Thing is, I have a very "normie" taste in music. And those songs sometimes contain swear words, which if I sing along I will sing too.

I'm aware those songs aren't good for me to listen to and I should really stop. I need to put in the time to find some good alternatives.

gent

Sparrow
Catholic

I would say something like "forget it" in that context.

Philonous

Sparrow
Protestant
The only time I still curse is when I go back to Baltimore, the town where I was raised. This, even though it wasn’t so scuzzy back when I was raised there, nor did we live in a bad part of it. Even so, the moral failure spread outward, and as it did the whole region made discord and rancor part of every exchange. It became what I did, what my friends did.

That was also part of why it was soooo hard for me to quit smoking, and I eventually just switched to vaping & snus. But I smoked like a chimney my last years there. A way of showing solidarity with the dispirited and overwhelmed.

And now?

If I have to go back for some reason, I may blurt an f-bomb or two after I come home—do it with no more thought than pushing my glasses up on my nose. And if I startle someone I’ll just say, “Baltimore”.

But no, that’s no longer common language for me. Furthermore, it’s unsettling if someone knows I’m a Christian and they just keep cursing and cursing in our exchanges—showing what they really think of me.

We follow the Book of James. We aim to control this pathetic little muscle that can do so much otherworldly damage—namely, our own tongue. And you’d think the non-Christian man would be intrigued by that—talking about how much he can bench, but there goes his tongue like it’s its own person.

infowarrior1

Crow
Protestant
I don't really swear very much, and I think I could reduce it even further without too much difficulty, except in one context - and that one is a vice in and of itself. Thing is, I have a very "normie" taste in music. And those songs sometimes contain swear words, which if I sing along I will sing too.

I'm aware those songs aren't good for me to listen to and I should really stop. I need to put in the time to find some good alternatives.

Try looking into Classical Music or Neoclassical Metal like this one if this is up your alley:

Last edited:

joost

Kingfisher
Cursing too much seems like a lack of vocabulary.

One word I used to describe something bad was crap instead of using $#!T. Many don't consider* it a bad word but I was looking for a substitution to no avail.

*There is even a book about it:
iu

thetruewhitenorth

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Great point. Not swearing is actually setting of boundaries. If you're an atheist, and you have no boundaries, why not swear? It's just a manifestation of exactly that one point that differs those who have a religion in general and those who do not, for with the former not everything goes, as it does with the latter. When I swear I try to correct myself almost instantly and it works.

I also noticed that cursing is very common among secular folk. When I used to go to the work gym, I would hear people dropping F word constantly. Once I counted, one guy used it about 10 times within 25 seconds or so.

In the english language, most of heavy cursing boils down to the F word. But what a nasty word it is. When I hear it, I usually recoil in disgust.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
Catholic
A friend and I once years ago were up drinking and cursing. Lent was coming on and I said we should give up swearing. We made a side bet at the time, $1 for each swear word uttered beginning the next day (I know, not an ideal fast). Anyway, we both had the same result, we swore 6 or 7 times in the first day, and 6 or 7 over the remaining 40.

The article raises a good point, putting attention in a way which reminds you when you swear causes you to remember that you don't want to swear. A swear Jar isn't a bad idea like above, if it is used to remind yourself, can work extremely well. Also the funds can be put towards something good - just be careful not to pay for your F Bombs.

When I hear someone take our Lord and saviours name in vain, to me that is something to really take notice of. Somehow it always seems to be people who are non believers. It's also frustrating how often people use "Gawd", or "OMG" ....it's everywhere, and even good people play loose with this.

Filthy Language is for filthy people. An F Bomb doesn't personally bother me to hear among men. But it does reflect poorly on the person, and sets a dark tone. What happens is people use it among friends and then they bring it into their workplace, or home.

Last edited:

paternos

Sparrow
Catholic
Sharing my own experience on cursing.

I don't come from a religious family, so there were no real limitations on that. But when I got into puberty and while studying, it got kind of "cool" to use cursing in my sentences. Felt it made me look edgy, outspoken, direct, powerful. Like I really say what I think. I don't hold in. It felt like release.

But the curse lost meaning. When you use f*** in every 2 sentences it just makes you look and feel like a loser.

I think it's good to see it for what it is. Speak a curse, a spell on something or someone.

What it also does, is externalizing the problem, and thereby losing all agency to solve things yourself, when the other man or thing is ****, there is no need to investigate the own emotions of fear and anger and finding peace in god.

With a lot cursing I temporarily *fixed* my own anger and fears.
Ever since I started to pray my desire to curse went way down.

This is the same for me. When I got insight in the emotional patterns and when I started turning to God in prayer, bible reading, church, literature, the desire to curse started to leave me.

How I see it now, is that cursing is a reflection of the spiritual state of a person, when I curse nowadays I think to myself, what's up? Mostly I have pent up frustration and I need to see the true order again. Turn to God. Calm down.

I think most cursers are in a spiritual numb state. Simple solution, turn to god.

JohnnyRotten

Chicken
Other Christian
Originally posted on RooshV.com

woman-mouth-profanity-1024x683.jpg

Christians should never use profanity. If you wouldn’t say a word to a priest or to a child then you shouldn’t utter it before anyone else, for we are all striving to be innocent before Christ. Cleaning your mouth may be the easiest way to please the Lord and receive more of His grace.

The old me was a vulgar sleaze. If you’ve read my game books (I hope you haven’t), most pages were soaked in disgusting language. I cannot read a single page of a book like Bang Iceland without wanting to throw it across the room for being an abomination to God. Sadly, the words of those books reflected who I was at the time. Since I no longer want to be that man, I’ve thrown out all the sinful behaviors that he performed, and that includes profane language.

Every time you use a profane word, you crack open the door for the demons to tempt you, because profanity is the language of the demons. No such word is ever used around God’s throne. It’s what the demons use to darken your mind and turn it away from God and onto anger, judgment, vanity, sex, wrath, and violence. Profanity is a crutch for the lazy mind, a tool of the evil mind, and the vomit of the atheist mind. It should never escape the Christian’s tongue, and if it does, it should be confessed before your priest.

I greatly dislike when people curse, but I am but a mere man, struggling in my walk with Christ. Imagine how much God hates it when you use such filth! There is no need to embark on a ten-stop program to stop cursing: simply make the decision to stop and then pray to God for help. He will then make you aware of how sordid your language may have become. For those of you who want to accelerate the process, wear a rubber band around your wrist and snap it as hard as you can whenever you speak a profane word. The pain that your wrist feels is but a shade of what the ears of your receivers feel when you speak such putridity.

There is no excuse to curse, not even in righteous anger. Once you cleanse your mouth, you also cleanse your soul, and while foul words will still occasionally enter your mind, you will know how to block them from exiting your mouth. Don’t rely on your own pathetic strength to help you with this: our Lord Jesus Christ is standing by, ready to purify you as long as you let Him. If one day you see me unleash a rash of profane epithets, I must have fallen backward, because where profanity is heard, sin is not far behind.

Read Next: How To Live A Holy Life
Had a date with a petite natural blond who exuded innocence and family values. Spent all day together but at dark she started vomiting F-bombs. Knew her one year before that and never heard a peep of colorful language. I told her to stop whereupon she started to rationalize her profanity. I said, this not a discussion, either stop or leave. I said, I don't cuss for my own respect and out of respect for you. I expect the same courtesy. She obeyed and stuck around for the evening. She ghosted after that, though. All my friends know that I will not put up with sewer mouths.

Although obviously I mustn't take the Lord's Name in vain, to my knowledge, no one has addressed euphemisms, such as OMG, or even "oh my goodness", and "Oh, my" is also from Oh my God. Criminy is "Christ's money". There's gee whiz, and golly is from "godly". "God damn it" is not allowed, but is "damn it"? Is "go to hell" taking the Lord's Name in vain? "Oh my god, what the bloody hell's wrong with you?"? "Oh gee, she looked so beautiful in that movie"? "Oh my, whatever will we do?"? If OMG is okay, then we're right back where we started from. The "Lord's name in vain" refers not only to angry expletives, but also to trivializing euphemisms. Please find me a pastor who has meaningfully addressed this.

Kitty Tantrum

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
I have to work on swearing less. It is not easy.

My mother tells me I used to walk around when I was really little, muttering under my breath "f'in dammit!"

Gee, I wonder where I learned that!

Working in kitchens didn't help. Marrying a retired sailor didn't help. :laughter:

I give my kids each a quarter if they catch me swearing. 50 cents per swear usually isn't worth it. I've been taking liberties here and there since they've been at their dad's house and that habit could get expensive after they get back.

If I ever make money a published writer, my kids will end up entitled to a cut of any profits based on how many swear words I use.