Stop Cursing Challenge

ScannerLIV

Woodpecker
Last night a temporarily female roommate who excessively curses like a sailor had to give me a cigarette for every cuss word.

To my surprise she lost only three cigarettes over four hours.

If you have friends who curse, holding them accountable this way-cigs, quarters, etc might be effective way to reduce their usage.

joy_grace

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Although obviously I mustn't take the Lord's Name in vain, to my knowledge, no one has addressed euphemisms, such as OMG, or even "oh my goodness", and "Oh, my" is also from Oh my God. Criminy is "Christ's money". There's gee whiz, and golly is from "godly". "God damn it" is not allowed, but is "damn it"? Is "go to hell" taking the Lord's Name in vain? "Oh my god, what the bloody hell's wrong with you?"? "Oh gee, she looked so beautiful in that movie"? "Oh my, whatever will we do?"? If OMG is okay, then we're right back where we started from. The "Lord's name in vain" refers not only to angry expletives, but also to trivializing euphemisms. Please find me a pastor who has meaningfully addressed this.

This one is a next level challenge haha... Maybe boss level.

SeaEagle

Robin
Catholic
This was a good reminder! I often swear while driving or in anger. I feel like reducing or eliminating vocal emotional outbursts is the best path. Substituting foul language for Ned Flanders-esque euphemisms isn't very becoming.

@joy_grace has the right idea in my opinion.

joy_grace

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Found it on someone's post:

Don’t fool yourself Christian....

Just so some of you won't remain ignorant concerning what you say, below is a list of some oaths that are of a religious nature adapted from the list found on Wikipedia. Although both "God" and "damn" are Bible words, the use of these words together is offensive and thus some of the letters are blanked out in the definitions.

Begorrah = By God
Bejabbers = By Jesus
Bleeding heck = Bloody Hell
Blimey = Blind me
Blinking heck = Bloody Hell
Bloody = By Our Lady
By George = By God
By golly = By God's body
By gosh = By God
By gum = By God
By Jove = By God
Cheese n' Rice = Jesus Christ
Chrissakes = For Christ's sake
Christmas = Christ
Cor blimey = God blind me
Crikey = Christ
Criminy = Christ
Cripes = Christ
Crivvens = Christ defend us
Dad gum = God d--n
Dagnammit = Damnation, God d--n it
Dagnabbit = Damnation, God d--n it
Dang = Damn
Dangnabbit = Damnation, God d--n it
Dangnation = Damnation
Darn = Damn
Darnation = Damnation
Doggone = God d--n or Dog on it
Drat = God rot it
Egad = A God
For crying out loud = For Christ's sake
Gadzooks = God's hooks (referring to the nails in Jesus on the cross)
Gat Dangit = God d--n it
G.D. (pronounced "jee dee") = God d--n
Gee = Jesus or Jerusalem
Gee whizz = Jesus
Gee willikers = Jesus or Jerusalem
Gorblimey = God blind me
Good grief = Good God
Goodness gracious = Good God
Gosh = God
Gosh darned = God d--ned
Heck = Hell
Jason Crisp = Jesus Christ
Jebus = Jesus
Jeepers Creepers = Jesus Christ
Jeez = Jesus
Jeezy Creezy = Jesus Christ
Jehoshaphat = Jesus
Jesus wept = Jesus Christ
Jiminy Christmas = Jesus Christ
Jiminy Cricket = Jesus Christ
Judas Priest = Jesus Christ
Jumping Jehoshaphat = Jumping Jesus
My goodness = My God
Sacré bleu = "sacred blue" = Sang de Dieu ("God's blood")
Sam Hill = Hell
Suffering succotash = Suffering Saviour
Tarnation = Damnation
Yumping Yiminy = Jumping Jesus
Zounds or 'Swounds = God's wounds
"Shinola, " "Shoot, " "Shucks, " "Sugar, " etc., all refer to the modern and vulgar barnyard reference to dung. "Freaking, " "Frickin, " "Fudging, " "Feck, " "Fig, " and other "F-words" obviously refer to the highly obscene and insulting "F-word" that is so commonly used by the ignorant, vulgar and profane. As often as it is used by some one would think it was the speaker's middle name.

Sad that words and similar can regularly be heard in Christian homes, work places, and even in churches.

What ever happened to Matthew 12:36... But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Or

Matthew 5:37... But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Or

Ephesians 4:29 which implies you grieve the Spirit with loose talk.....”Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.”

Finally WWJD still stands, would Jesus utter any of the words in this list ??.... I think not.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox

Just so some of you won't remain ignorant concerning what you say, below is a list of some oaths that are of a religious nature adapted from the list found on Wikipedia. Although both "God" and "damn" are Bible words, the use of these words together is offensive and thus some of the letters are blanked out in the definitions.

Begorrah = By God
Bejabbers = By Jesus
Blimey = Blind me
Bloody = By Our Lady
By George = By God
By golly = By God's body
By gosh = By God
By gum = By God
By Jove = By God
Christmas = Christ
Crikey = Christ
Criminy = Christ
Cripes = Christ
Dad gum = God d--n
Dang = Damn
Dangnation = Damnation
Darn = Damn
Darnation = Damnation
Drat = God rot it
Egad = A God
Gat Dangit = God d--n it
Gee = Jesus or Jerusalem
Gee whizz = Jesus
Gorblimey = God blind me
Good grief = Good God
Gosh = God
Gosh darned = God d--ned
Heck = Hell
Jebus = Jesus
Jeez = Jesus
Jehoshaphat = Jesus
My goodness = My God
Sam Hill = Hell
Tarnation = Damnation
"Shinola, " "Shoot, " "Shucks, " "Sugar, " etc., all refer to the modern and vulgar barnyard reference to dung. "Freaking, " "Frickin, " "Fudging, " "Feck, " "Fig, " and other "F-words" obviously refer to the highly obscene and insulting "F-word" that is so commonly used by the ignorant, vulgar and profane. As often as it is used by some one would think it was the speaker's middle name.

Sad that words and similar can regularly be heard in Christian homes, work places, and even in churches.

What ever happened to Matthew 12:36... But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

Or

Matthew 5:37... But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Or

Ephesians 4:29 which implies you grieve the Spirit with loose talk.....”Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.”

Finally WWJD still stands, would Jesus utter any of the words in this list ??.... I think not.
Is there a list of suitable substitutes?

joy_grace

Sparrow
Woman
Other Christian
Is there a list of suitable substitutes?

Unfortunately not...

Also dropping another useful link:

Tom Slick

Woodpecker
Orthodox
I'm living in a ROCOR house and our priest made no cursing a rule for which the punishment is three prostrations per utterance. I was averaging about 9 prostrations a day for a few weeks, but it gradually came down while I also examined why I was cursing so much. I believe the reason was impatience and intolerance that wrath fosters and, after a few months, now I rarely curse out loud. In fact, I do prostrations for when I merely think curse words and that's down to about 1-2 per day. Ironically, many of the curses are against myself.

While painting today, I spilled some thinner all over my trousers and unexpectedly exclaimed, "Aw shucks!" A small achievement, but having a strict rule for this sin has been helpful, as have been others our priest made for the house. It feels good to be progressing backwards to a more orderly and clean state of mind where cursing and lustful thoughts are rare.

I'm beginning to notice and dislike media content that I wouldn't have objected to even a year ago, such as the recent Kyle Rittenhouse interview by Elijah Schaffer. Nothing against them, I like them both, but the cursing and constant gay sex innuendo and jokes genuinely rubs me the wrong way. I just can't listen to very much of it, so I switch it off.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
Unfortunately not...

Also dropping another useful link:

I'll just adopt Homer Simpson's catchphrase then.

infowarrior1

Crow
Protestant

Begorrah = By God
Bejabbers = By Jesus
Blimey = Blind me
Bloody = By Our Lady
By George = By God
By golly = By God's body
By gosh = By God
By gum = By God
By Jove = By God
Christmas = Christ
Crikey = Christ
Criminy = Christ
Cripes = Christ
Dad gum = God d--n
Dang = Damn
Dangnation = Damnation
Darn = Damn
Darnation = Damnation
Drat = God rot it
Egad = A God
Gat Dangit = God d--n it
Gee = Jesus or Jerusalem
Gee whizz = Jesus
Gorblimey = God blind me
Good grief = Good God
Gosh = God
Gosh darned = God d--ned
Heck = Hell
Jebus = Jesus
Jeez = Jesus
Jehoshaphat = Jesus
My goodness = My God
Sam Hill = Hell
Tarnation = Damnation

Or

Or

Emblematic of clownworld but formality need not be about obfuscation or beating around the bush:

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
How about this for alternatives:

Oh boy
Oh my
Oh wonder
Oh my wonder
D'oh
Aw schucks

Edit: I removed "aw nuts" since it refers to a part of the male body.

Last edited:

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I know having small children has really cleaned up my language, they are like parrots repeating everything and the last thing I want is them to repeat profanity.

Yeah, it's a pretty easy switch to start saying "poop!" as an expletive when you have a child, lol.

SaintThomas

Pigeon
Protestant
It may be really, really boring... but perhaps a tactic is to only use words with definite, non-expletive meaning (if that make sense).

For example, when I get hurt, instead of restraining an f-bomb with my typical "fffffffff!", I can opt for the much more meaningful "That hurt!"

Maybe that'll make me a square... But I also wonder if it would ultimately be more interesting to myself and others. Just thoughts.

MartyMcFly

Kingfisher
Other Christian
It may be really, really boring... but perhaps a tactic is to only use words with definite, non-expletive meaning (if that make sense).

For example, when I get hurt, instead of restraining an f-bomb with my typical "fffffffff!", I can opt for the much more meaningful "That hurt!"

Maybe that'll make me a square... But I also wonder if it would ultimately be more interesting to myself and others. Just thoughts.
What you said about 'being square' reminds me of a quote I saw a couple days ago. Why is 'being square' bad these days? A baseball player asked this same question many years ago. I think too many people swear because they feel a need to act young and cool and really it doesn't often work. It might be the same reason many older people get tattoos and post explicit photos (ex. Madonna) and do hard drugs as well. Western society pressures people to act rebellious even when they are 40, 50, and 60.

WeChat Image_20211219161437.jpg