Stop Cursing Challenge

The Resilient

Ostrich
Orthodox
Honestly I'm thankful for my Orthodox conversion it made me more mindful of my language in the way that I presented myself as a Christian... And even then cursing never came naturally to me due to the extensive vocabulary that my paternal grandmother instilled in me when I was being raised by her for a few years. She said that people that cursed had a lower IQ and a limited vocabulary, and that should never represent myself that way.
Even while living a lascivious life in my mid-20s I would still hear The echoes of her words.
She was a member of Mensa and I even got invited to join when I was 14 but irresponsibly refused (emotional maturity wasn't something i had much of)
So even then for the majority of my life even without the Christian value system that I was given by attending church and Christian social events in my formative years... Istill found it difficult to intentionally curse .

It felt unnatural to me and my orthodoxy has doubled if not tripled the ease of not cursing in order to feel accepted amongst others.

Trusting Christ to save your soul and making him the Lord of your life brings about this peace... Just my two thoughts

fireshark

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Cursing is a very small problem for me, I don't do it a great deal, but it's a very good point that even a small amount of cursing indicates larger problems aren't far behind.

Challenge accepted.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
It may be really, really boring... but perhaps a tactic is to only use words with definite, non-expletive meaning (if that make sense).

For example, when I get hurt, instead of restraining an f-bomb with my typical "fffffffff!", I can opt for the much more meaningful "That hurt!"

Maybe that'll make me a square... But I also wonder if it would ultimately be more interesting to myself and others. Just thoughts.
Correct, because the substitution still allows your mind to recall the profane word. You want to neither say nor THINK profanity.

This is one reason you still get a forum warning if you censor bad words with asterisks. It still forces readers to recognize the full word.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
In the interview of Dr. Robert Malone by Joe Rogan today I heard the Doctor say nuckin futs.

It wasn't crass and kind of fit his gentile speaking style. He probably preplanned something 'cool' like that to more identify with Joe Rogan.
I'm not sure, I'll have to skim over some other Joe Rogan interviews. Does he swear alot?

I am consciously trying not to curse and have been trying for 1.5 years. The climate I work(ed) in contains cursing as stress relief.

If I slip, and I still do, I immediately say "Sorry, excuse me for swearing, please"

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
In the interview of Dr. Robert Malone by Joe Rogan today I heard the Doctor say nuckin futs.

It wasn't crass and kind of fit his gentile speaking style. He probably preplanned something 'cool' like that to more identify with Joe Rogan.
I'm not sure, I'll have to skim over some other Joe Rogan interviews. Does he swear alot?

I am consciously trying not to curse and have been trying for 1.5 years. The climate I work(ed) in contains cursing as stress relief.

If I slip, and I still do, I immediately say "Sorry, excuse me for swearing, please"
Post timeout edit: *genteel* not gentile

Tom Slick

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Rogan swears about as much as Elijah Schaffer, who is Christian. It's tough to find anyone interesting online who doesn't, but they're certainly out there, like clergy; I don't think there was any cursing in the debate between E. Michael Jones and Jared Taylor.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
That debate was on race? I'll skip it, thanks. I'm in the camp that we should all come together, not divide. Debating on race is divisive, although I'm sure they must be good debaters if you admire them @Tom. I'll look up Schaffer now, thanks

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox

That video was taken down by either the creator or the host site.
First time I've seen this happen so quickly. Obviously, its been saved but wow, I never saw real time fear like this.

Ovaries, bone marrow, cancer precurser and come together were what I remembered as keywords/phrases.

And that weird reversing of curse words.

Veemerk

Chicken
Woman
Protestant
I was on vacation around New Years Eve and these young boys on bicycles were using disgusting profanity in front of these young girls who seemed to think it was cool. Everyone in the area seemed pretty shocked and disappointed to be hearing what we were hearing from these kids. It was so sad.
I don’t remember kids using these types of curses when I was a preteen/teen.
Hoping the next generation of kids think it’s uncool to swear. I’m hoping to lead by example.

Samseau

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
Swearing reflects poorly on one's soul, but it's not as big of a deal as many Christians make of it. Christians turn a blind eye to far greater evils, like the schism among Christian churches, gluttony, debauchery, greed, etc, and yet love to virtue signal about not swearing and having a clean mouth when in fact it is pure hypocrisy because cleaning up swearing will not clean up your sin. Therefore, swearing is not what to focus on - removing the other sins is, and then swearing naturally evaporates from your language. As your anger, greed, and debauchery leaves your soul, so too will swearing leave your vocab. Swearing is one of those sins that should be forgiven immediately, without second thought, 1 million times if necessary, because on the list of sins it is at the bottom of the list (as Jesus taught, which is explained below).

Roosh is mistaken in his article about swearing - but I do not blame him for this. Sooooo many Christians have been wrong about swearing and this just gets passed on without any critical thinking. Swearing a symptom, not the cause of sin. That is what Jesus taught.

"16 And Jesus said, `Are ye also yet without understanding?

17 do ye not understand that all that is going into the mouth doth pass into the belly, and into the drain is cast forth?

18 but the things coming forth from the mouth from the heart do come forth, and these defile the man;

19 for out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, whoredoms, thefts, false witnessings, evil speakings:

20 these are the things defiling the man; but to eat with unwashen hands doth not defile the man.'"

- Matthew 15

So, strictly speaking, according to Christ, it is not the sounds we make that are sinful, but the intents of the heart the words represent that defile us.

Vulgar words are not sinful in themselves, they are but sounds we make with our mouths and are no more inherently sinful than any other sound. Therefore, when you see others swear, do not recoil in disgust, do not judge, and do not simply turn your back on someone who swears, but instead, have pity, have mercy, and try to understand what injury on their soul causes them to swear. This is what Christ called on us to do, if we wish to be saved.

I am 100% certain of the main reasons for our current apostasy and decline is that Christians in the turn of the 20th century were obsessed with pure language, and showing off to others how "pure" and good they were, rather than actually be good in any meaningful sense. It is easy to pretend one is good by having "clean" language and other such fake public showings, like praying in public. It's phony hypocritical nonsense, and I would rather be around those who swear nonstop but actually are virtuous, because I know their swears do not have sinful intent behind them.

Thus, this is why you can find soldiers who curse and cuss nonstop, but will actually be your best friend in times of crisis and lay their life on the line for you (which, as Christ taught, there is no greater love than to lay one's life down for his friends). Cuss words may represent injuries to the soul, or they simply may just be cultural artifacts that the language imposes on others by habit, or the person may be filled with evil. Without this knowledge, how can one judge?

Unless you are sure what someone's intent is, it is wrong to judge them for swearing. Otherwise, judging someone for mere sounds out of their mouth is massive Pharisee hypocrisy, of focusing on dry acts without understanding the lesson of love behind them.

I believe the Christian obsession with pure language is dangerous, and I will pray for everyone here who judges vulgar language too harshly to soften their hearts and return to the teachings of Christ, lest they get condemned for hypocrisy over something as meaningless as swearing. Swearing is meaningless on its own and must be understood by the discerning Christian as reflecting a potential injury on the soul, or someone who is just messing around with words and being a wise guy. But until you've got that knowledge of someone's soul, do not judge them for swearing or you will place yourself in grave danger for judgement day. The hypocrisy of caring about someone's language but not their soul could easily send someone into the "I never knew you," camp.

To those wishing to clean up their language, you must understand that cleaning up the language is not the goal. The goal is a pure soul, to purify oneself in the blessings of Christ and God, do good for your Neighbor, and have mercy and forgiveness for others. When this is accomplished, you will find yourself swearing less and less, to the point where you wondered why you ever needed to swear in the first place?

Removing swearing from your vocab comes naturally as your soul is healed from sinful injury. It does not merely come because you monitor your language and censor yourself constantly. God does not want you to censor yourself, he already knows what is in your heart before you utter any words, so instead focus on God's love and allowing God's love to permeate through you to others so that you may do His will.

When you pray to God for help to stop swearing, what actually happens is that God will look at the other sinful injuries on your soul and try to fix those, since those are the sources sin. Like a river, foul language disappears when you fix the source. You will never need to censor yourself again. Even if you do utter a swear out of habit, you will know it's not actually a swear because there is no intent behind it - and if there is, you will quickly apologize.

Sorry for the length of this post, but I have seen far too many Christian communities get destroyed by their pointless obsession over language. Satan loves this stuff because it's so easy to divide and destroy God's flock over - f'ing words!??
my swear right here reflects the anger I have in my soul over this topic, but it hurts so much to see it happen again and again I cannot contain my anger, have mercy on me brothers.
Christ would be saddened for people who care about words more than love, it is no different than Pharisees who focused on washing hands instead of loving their Neighbors.

Samseau

Owl
Orthodox
Gold Member
Had a date with a petite natural blond who exuded innocence and family values. Spent all day together but at dark she started vomiting F-bombs. Knew her one year before that and never heard a peep of colorful language. I told her to stop whereupon she started to rationalize her profanity. I said, this not a discussion, either stop or leave. I said, I don't cuss for my own respect and out of respect for you. I expect the same courtesy. She obeyed and stuck around for the evening. She ghosted after that, though. All my friends know that I will not put up with sewer mouths.

Brother, please soften your heart, there is no reason to simply disassociate with someone who may or may not be your Neighbor in Christ because of mere sounds out of their mouth. I shall pray for you.

Although obviously I mustn't take the Lord's Name in vain, to my knowledge, no one has addressed euphemisms, such as OMG, or even "oh my goodness", and "Oh, my" is also from Oh my God. Criminy is "Christ's money". There's gee whiz, and golly is from "godly". "God damn it" is not allowed, but is "damn it"? Is "go to hell" taking the Lord's Name in vain? "Oh my god, what the bloody hell's wrong with you?"? "Oh gee, she looked so beautiful in that movie"? "Oh my, whatever will we do?"? If OMG is okay, then we're right back where we started from. The "Lord's name in vain" refers not only to angry expletives, but also to trivializing euphemisms. Please find me a pastor who has meaningfully addressed this.

This is another thing that has been perverted beyond all recognition. Saying "Oh my God" is using the Lord's name in vain? I've seen people, usually Catholics, claim this, and yet not once can anyone explain why this is vain to call on God's name.

In fact, there is nothing vain about it. Vain means vanity. Where is the vanity in calling on God's name?

Conversely, saying "God damn you," is vain, since one is acting like God will obey your commands to damn someone. That is vanity, believing oneself to be so important they can command God.

I saw a 4 car pileup and wreckage the other day - I immediately exclaimed, "HOLY JESUS CHRIST," because that was exactly who we all needed at that moment to help and protect us. Miraculously, no one was hurt despite 4 cars being trashed. God does not let anyone die before He is ready to call them to judgement. What would be vain about using the Lord's name here? In what way did I signify myself more important than others by calling out for the messiah?

Again - this all gets to the point of my post above - this is pointless obsession over language, it is Pharisee stuff, has almost nothing to do with Christ's teachings except on a superficial level, and yet Christians go to insane lengths over self-censorship instead of genuine soulful improvement.

I must stress, and will stress as long as I live, that language policing is extremely dangerous and only leads to hell. Christians prior to this fallen age used to do the same thing, and it produced a world of hell we live in now. "Ye shall know them by their fruits," and the language censorship of the past produced the sinful world of today so we must conclude the old ways were in fact corrupt.

Do not police language. I believe Roosh's forum rules for this reason on swearing is quite misguided, but I understand Roosh's intent and therefore do not make a big deal about it.

infowarrior1

Crow
Protestant
It may be really, really boring... but perhaps a tactic is to only use words with definite, non-expletive meaning (if that make sense).

For example, when I get hurt, instead of restraining an f-bomb with my typical "fffffffff!", I can opt for the much more meaningful "That hurt!"

Maybe that'll make me a square... But I also wonder if it would ultimately be more interesting to myself and others. Just thoughts.

Honest straightforward language is a breath of fresh air compared to lies, obfuscation and ego stroking. It is offensive enough to name things by their true nature without the need for expletives.

Goodness,Truth and Beauty doesn't need to be anything but itself to scorch flammable material.

As proven by that interview with a deranged gay rights activist by a genuinely confused presenter in Uganda I posted a video about.

They call that being a conformist identical square with no identity and individuality? Laughable.

cyborg1337

Robin
Muslim
@Roosh is a good man with a lot of insight, in particular from a God conscious perspective.

It's interesting how we tell our children to not curse, but yet keep doing it ourselves. We are hypocrites.

The way you carry yourself, including the language you use will have a lot subconcious carry over to the people around you.

Suburban Yahoo

Robin
Protestant
@Samseau There is much good and true in what you say. However, I think cussing is mainly a violation of social boundaries--saying unacceptable words. Blurting out "f**k" is a boundary violation, blurting out "I want to kill that f****r!" is qualitatively different and shows different things.

We shouldn't be flippant about boundary violations, and the urge to do them flamboyantly and constantly is a sin problem. At the least it shows a lack of self-control--typically anger control problems.

But also Christians getting bent out of shape about them 1) shows they don't understand what cussing is and 2) focusing on cussing while the rest of the culture is in total ruins shows a willingness to go for cheap yet pointless culture war victories (they're going to lose another one anyway), a complete lack of perspective. Do they even mention the obesity epidemic? No.