Supplements and foods that may DECREASE testosterone

Heh - soy:

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/the-truth-about-soy/

No shit - if women can regulate hot flashes with soy, then by golly men should be very careful with it.

P.D. Mangan has a good article on it:

hormones-foods.png

Also note the estrogenic food table. Soy is the Superman/Hulk in terms of power level there.

reliquary

Woodpecker
And here I was always getting the pinto beans at Chipotle because they were more authentic... :s

On the water front, I managed to finally wrench the showerhead off in my apartment this weekend, and immediately looked to get a Culligan filter, which is held generally to be the best showerhead level filter. Obviously the best is to do a whole house filter, because with shower pressure and heat, the ability of a tiny filter in a showerhead to do a lot (especially with pharmaceuticals) is rather limited.

To my surprise, the city I live in, like many other cities in the US, has switched from chlorine to chloramine. Chloramine completely bypasses the redox filters found in Culligan and most other conventional showerhead filters.

After doing some more research, I found that the only type of showerhead filter that can effectively process chloramines is a Vitamin C filter which processes ascorbic acid through to neutralize them. Sonaki is the best brand by general consensus, I will be trying it out.

The next layer of the onion is that many Vitamin C filters are just that; they only get rid of chloramines, but don't do anything else. Luckily, I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GDRJNM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8MRSQI9XSR1O

It is a combination Vitamin C and particulate filter which addresses both major pollutants.

[email protected]

Pelican
Gold Member
swuglyfe said:
Calcium-d-Glucarate (CDG) is a natural substance produced by all mammals, including humans. Small amounts are also found in fruits and vegetables. Early humans were able to get enough calcium-d-glucarate from their own production since they ate relatively low amounts of toxins and lived in a clean environment. As toxin exposure has increased, humans need more calcium-d-glucarate to excrete the extra toxins.

Just ordered some of this (although it is the NOW brand, 500mg).

How much of this stuff should I take daily? 1000mg? More?

reliquary

Woodpecker
swuglyfe said:
Calcium-d-Glucarate (CDG) is a natural substance produced by all mammals, including humans. Small amounts are also found in fruits and vegetables. Early humans were able to get enough calcium-d-glucarate from their own production since they ate relatively low amounts of toxins and lived in a clean environment. As toxin exposure has increased, humans need more calcium-d-glucarate to excrete the extra toxins.

Just ordered some of this (although it is the NOW brand, 500mg).

How much of this stuff should I take daily? 1000mg? More?

I take 1000 mg daily.

reliquary

Woodpecker
Source Naturals is 500 mg per tablet, with a recommended of 2 tablets per dose.

Also,

Recommended dose: A normal detox dose is 500-1000 mg. People with high estrogen may benefit from taking as much as 3000-4500 mg a day – ask your doctor before adding any supplement to your regimen.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/calcium-d-glucarate/

Of particular note/relevance to some in this forum, is this section of the aforementioned link:

Humans are meant to eat large amounts of protein and fat. Our livers and kidney efficiently process proteins and are able to remove harmful byproducts like ammonia. However, humans can only handle so many toxins. The human body is involved fending off xenoestrogens, air pollutants, chronic infections, and mycotoxins. This leaves very little room for dealing with the metabolites of protein. Our modern world is so polluted, that humans don’t always have the necessary means to fend off natural byproducts of a healthy metabolism. If you’re consuming a high protein diet (25-35 percent), you should consider supplementing with calcium-d-glucarate.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
This is one of those concentration questions that bugs the shit out of me.

If you look at the bottle, both Swanson & SourceNaturals come from Glucarate CDG. This is the case with most supplements, they all come from the same plants, but most aren't marketed as such.

Since Glucarate is trademarked they have to show it. Same thing with CarnoSyn. If you look at any good bottle of Beta-Alanine, it says "from CarnoSyn" trademarked. Same shit, different bottle!

We can check this with Swanson & Source's dosing too.

Swanson: 250mg CDG, 30mg calcium = 12% calcium

SourceNaturals: 1000mg CDG, 124 Calcium = 12.4% calcium

OK. Now that we've determined we're taking the same thing, I'll up the dosage.

Has anyone had testosterone decrease due to taking antibiotics? I took a two week course of antibiotics starting three weeks ago and the whole time my desire to have sex was way low. After I'm done, it seems like things are improving slowly.

reliquary

Woodpecker
GreenHills said:
Has anyone had testosterone decrease due to taking antibiotics? I took a two week course of antibiotics starting three weeks ago and the whole time my desire to have sex was way low. After I'm done, it seems like things are improving slowly.

A quick perusal of the research and search results seems to suggest this is more in broscience territory. I think this might have more to do with the fact that antibiotics will destroy all the helpful symbiotic flora throughout your body, and it has to rebuild. Pharmaceuticals will never help, though, that's for sure.

Hypno

Crow
GreenHills said:

you need to get your gut bacteria back in shape. you need to take both probiotics and prebiotics. most people only take the probiotics and don't see any effect.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
Hypno said:
GreenHills said:

you need to get your gut bacteria back in shape. you need to take both probiotics and prebiotics. most people only take the probiotics and don't see any effect.

Probiotic pills are useless.

See: The Fermentation Thread, by Veloce

Gas

Kingfisher
Gold Member
CleanSlate said:
Timely thread. Great info.

I've decided to go off TRT. I'm doing a restart because I'd been on test for 2 years. My lifestyle was bad up to 2 years ago -- stress levels through the roof, bad diet, too much drinking, and no lifting.

Now I have my lifestyle habits dialed in, been lifting for 2 months straight, cut back on alcohol, eating clean(er) and effectively managing stress.

So I want to take the TRT wheels off and see how my body does on its own. We shall see how I feel 3 months from now. Lifestyle habits and this thread will have a positive impact I'm sure.

Please keep us updated, even start a thread if you have the time. I'm sure many of us who are thinking about starting TRT in the future, and those already on it, would be interested. MikeCF wrote about doing the same on his blog - check it out if you haven't already.

Gas

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Zelcorpion said:
Heh - soy:

http://roguehealthandfitness.com/the-truth-about-soy/

No shit - if women can regulate hot flashes with soy, then by golly men should be very careful with it.

P.D. Mangan has a good article on it:

hormones-foods.png

Also note the estrogenic food table. Soy is the Superman/Hulk in terms of power level there.

Fuck, peanuts. I devour peanut butter, especially on workout days. Full of fats and protein. And apparently estrogenic fuckery too.

CaptainChardonnay

Ostrich
Gold Member
Just picked up a Klean Kanteen Wide 40 oz. water bottle. The lid is plastic but the part that touches water is full metal so only metal touches the water in it. Looking to pick up a RO system from Costco shortly and just carrying my drinking water around.

I thought the Nalgene metal bottle is a better design but the lid is still plastic and made of a material called tritan that claims to be BPA free but isn't.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25477047

Our data showed that some (4/14) unstressed and stressed BPA-free thermoplastic resins leached chemicals having significant levels of EA, including one polystyrene (PS), and three Tritan™ resins, the latter reportedly EA-free. Exposure to UV radiation in natural sunlight resulted in an increased release of EA from Tritan™ resins. Triphenyl-phosphate (TPP), an additive used to manufacture some thermoplastic resins such as Tritan™, exhibited EA in both MCF-7 and BG1Luc assays. Ten unstressed or stressed glycol-modified polyethylene terephthalate (PETG), cyclic olefin polymer (COP) or copolymer (COC) thermoplastic resins did not release chemicals with detectable EA under any test condition.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Catholic
Gold Member
I had a Klean Kanteen but it dented easily and was a pain in the ass to open. I have a large Hydro Flask now and love it.

Hypno

Crow
redbeard said:
Hypno said:
GreenHills said:

I have dropped 15-20 pounds with probiotics and prebiotics in 2 months. I do agree that probiotics without prebiotics are largely worthless. Prebiotics are simple and inexpensive - potato starch, psyllium husk, etc. You can't digest it but your good bacteria thrive on it.

tarquin

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Hypno said:
redbeard said:
Hypno said:
GreenHills said:

I have dropped 15-20 pounds with probiotics and prebiotics in 2 months. I do agree that probiotics without prebiotics are largely worthless. Prebiotics are simple and inexpensive - potato starch, psyllium husk, etc. You can't digest it but your good bacteria thrive on it.

What prebiotics and probiotics did you use?