Supply chain disruptions thread

Helmsman

Sparrow
Protestant
Here's one point:

You know how people say that a "peaceful divorce" would be a disaster because we need access to transportation via California's ports, and it would be terrible if we lost that?

We're already halfway there dude.
Soooooo......we gon' need us a new container terminal tho' for those deep draft Asian and Panamax ships (dunno if Houston can handle Panamax). Plus we're going to need extra capacity beyond what Houston, Savannah, Corpus, and FL can provide. We double-track the rail lines around Port Lavaca, TX then dredge the Pt Comfort ship channel to 70ft. Build us a new container terminal on the gulf at the old Alcoa smelter. Already upgrading US59 to I69 so roads are taken care of, maybe do some work on TX60 and TX35. BOOM! Cut Cali loose and let the good times roll.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
Get ready, gentlemen.

Make Preparations! Canadian Cross Border Trucking Vaxx Mandate Now In Effect, Domestic Trucking Mandate Starts Next Week​

The cross border vaccine mandate for truckers in/out of Canada is now in effect. The U.S. vaccine mandate takes effect on January 22nd.

It will take a few days to see the consequences, but there will be consequences.

Keep in mind, any impact is taking place in a supply chain system that is already tenuous and unstable at best. A small disruption that may have been minimally significant against a fully operational supply chain, is more likely to be a much bigger disruption in a supply chain that is already under a severe amount of demand side stress. Somewhere in the range of 16,000 to 38,000 daily loads are likely to be impacted.

When questioned about this, Canadian Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic Leblanc says the trucking industry “has had adequate time to prepare for this.” Keep in mind, the mandate was announced 45 days ago (November 30th). According to the Canadian government, changing the structural rules for all the logistics and commerce in cross border shipping, 45 days is enough notice.

CANADA – […] “I think you probably won’t see that movement … that the government’s looking for,” retail expert Bruce Winder told CTV News Channel on Saturday when asked if the effort will encourage truckers to get vaccinated.

[…] The mandate throws a “major wrench” in the Canadian and North American supply chains, he added, with grocers, food producers, the auto parts industry and building materials among the sectors expected to be most affected.

“I really hope that we’re not at the stage where you see food insecurity, where you’re actually going to grocery stores and there’s nothing on the shelf,” Winder said. “That could be the worst-case scenario.”

Mike Millian, president of the Private Motor Truck Council of Canada, told CTV News Channel on Saturday that there were as many 23,000 vacancies at the end of the third quarter of 2021, with his group’s own studies showing that roughly 20 per cent of Canadian truck drivers operating across the border are unvaccinated.

[…] “If we remove a fifth of that workforce, we’re going to see shortages on shelves and we’re going to see inflation of prices, because the cost to bring this stuff here is going to go up.”

The truth is no one knows how bad the disruption will be. What we do know is that there will be disruption, and there is no infrastructure for a level of rig-switching at the border crossing region that could accommodate changing rigs, drop-offs and/or pick-ups or driver transfers on the scale that is being discussed. The logistics here are a total mess.

Keep your fingers crossed, but prepare for FUBAR.

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Catholic
Gold Member
^ I'm in western NY and used to frequent the Canadian side regularly. There are only three border bridges in that area, Lewiston, Rainbow, and Peace (Grand Island is on the US side).

- Tractor trailers aren't permitted to cross at the Rainbow Bridge, and the logistics to maneuver a rig aren't there

- The Lewiston Bridge is like a normal multi lane highway with a border crossing

- The Peace Bridge may have some of the physical space on the Canadian side to pull this off, but that would require the rest of that area to be closed off to even have a chance for it to work

There's no way this works unless they plan on using airport runways for the space, but if they do that it really defeats the purpose of the whole idea in the first place.

This is going to be a disaster. Duty_Free_Key_Map.jpg

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
I'm curious how long they'll keep this up for with the midterms later this Fall.

Best way to get everyone to vote Republican and get ransacked at the polls is to empty the shelves while inflation goes to 15-20%. That cuts thru political lines. We're talking about hammering the bare necessities everyone relies on.

Pointy Elbows

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Seeing a lot of reports of US-Canada trucking problems. Haven't seen much from the US-Mexico side yet. It will be interesting if this is one of those cases where the US treats Canada like dirt whilst at the same time turning a blind eye toward Mexico for the same infractions.

There's a little history of this, with trucks and truckers from Mexico driving in the US with crappy vehicles, etc. They tightened down on it a few years back, but I don't think the US authorities have the cojones to be tough on trans-border issues with Mexico. That won't play well in the press. We'll see.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Orthodox
Seeing a lot of reports of US-Canada trucking problems. Haven't seen much from the US-Mexico side yet. It will be interesting if this is one of those cases where the US treats Canada like dirt whilst at the same time turning a blind eye toward Mexico for the same infractions.

There's a little history of this, with trucks and truckers from Mexico driving in the US with crappy vehicles, etc. They tightened down on it a few years back, but I don't think the US authorities have the cojones to be tough on trans-border issues with Mexico. That won't play well in the press. We'll see.
I once had Exxon refuse a load i arranged through my 3rd party logiics company because they didn't have a US DL.

I told the 3pl company this and they start placing "No Mexicans" on our paperwork.

Haha luckily I caught that before that went out the door and caused a law suit.

TooFineAPoint

Ostrich
Protestant
I'm curious how long they'll keep this up for with the midterms later this Fall.

Best way to get everyone to vote Republican and get ransacked at the polls is to empty the shelves while inflation goes to 15-20%. That cuts thru political lines. We're talking about hammering the bare necessities everyone relies on.

This is one of those rare "bipartisan initiatives" they like to talk so glowingly about.

Seadog

Kingfisher
I'm amused as anything about this and sitting with baited breath to see what happens. I have enough food for a few months as I always do in the form of a large rotating freezer/pantry, so I'll at least be better off than 90% of folks, but once *real* shortages start we get to see how people really feel about these vaccine mandates. You're fine to pay triple while your neighbor starves so you can rest easy that none of the dirty folks can get in? Wonder if that's the majority. It can potentially put the politicians in a big bind too, as if they back track then it's akin to saying "the virus isn't that scary", but if they don't, then their population starves or at least is paying hugely more for food. Then they run for the pitchforks. They've painted themselves into a corner with no good option....

.....this is of course assuming they can't somehow manage to rectify the current levels of shortages and inflation (highest in 40 years) with like 50% or whatever of the current transport capacity.

I've never used this gif before, but if ever there was a time...

mj.gif

hkhathaj

Woodpecker
Other Christian
In Hungary there is some level of inflation and the government force freezed the price of these products:

* white sugar
* wheat flour
* sunflower oil
* pork thigh
* chicken breast and chicken tail
* UHT milk with 2.8% fat

Forced freeze of prices may lead to shortages on the market. So they also made it mandatory for shops to sell the same amount of these products as last year. I have no clue what will be the result of this.

It may be connected to the great reset or it is only connected to that there will should be election this year in April and for low income people this could be working propaganda. May be both if it works until the election and causes disruptions after the election when these prices will become unmaintainable due to inflation.

ViatoremColognia

Sparrow
Jewish
In Hungary there is some level of inflation and the government force freezed the price of these products:

* white sugar
* wheat flour
* sunflower oil
* pork thigh
* UHT milk with 2.8% fat

Forced freeze of prices may lead to shortages on the market. So they also made it mandatory for shops to sell the same amount of these products as last year. I have no clue what will be the result of this.

It may be connected to the great reset or it is only connected to that there will should be election this year in April and for low income people this could be working propaganda. May be both if it works until the election and causes disruptions after the election when these prices will become unmaintainable due to inflation.
If someone still thinks that rationing and price fixation works, they are beyond all help. It will only lead to shortages. Why will the producers sell at a loss?

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
If someone still thinks that rationing and price fixation works, they are beyond all help. It will only lead to shortages. Why will the producers sell at a loss?
You're right, price fixes at this point seem intentional to create a panic through empty shelves. If they compensate the producers with government fiat that is just debasing the currency even more, taxing workers, and destroying the economy further. Insanity.

Bannic

Sparrow
Catholic

* white sugar
* wheat flour
* sunflower oil
* pork thigh
* UHT milk with 2.8% fat

Venezuela

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
FJcQbGwXMAAy8cu

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox

• A new apprenticeship program will allow 18- to 20-year-old drivers to travel beyond their home states to deliver customer goods
  • The initiative deviates from existing law, which requires truckers crossing state lines to be at least 21 years old
  • Right now, the industry is facing an exodus of 600,000 retiring truckers by 2028, and thousands of new hires are needed to offset attrition
  • A safety advocate worries the new initiative could lead to catastrophic crashes, citing statistics that indicate younger drivers are more accident prone
  • But the American Trucking Associations, a large industry trade group, supports the measure as a way to help with a shortage of drivers

Helmsman

Sparrow
Protestant
Heard a story on a job site once about a big 13y/o kid, massive ol boy who used to run 18 wheelers years ago. Had the size for it. His mom stopped him. Not because she didn't like him driving but because he was doing 80-85MPH over the TX/LA line on I10. Speed limits like 65 I think there.

For real though, there's a lot of insurance BS that keeps younger hands from driving heavy equipment. Good to see that could change. Knew a lot of directionless men in college who'd be better served in a blue-collar trade. If they had the guts for the work.