Supply chain disruptions thread

Jive Turkey

Woodpecker
Would it be a good time to start a basic manufacturing business? Even just for simple things like linen and clothes? The idea has been in the back of my mind for a while and it’d be great to get input from someone knowledgeable
Try it and find out brother! In Barren Metal E. Michael Jones argues that all economies start with the manufacture of linen and cloth and that the practice of giving so many free unlimited clothes to Africans is what prevents an economy from forming. Why not give it a go? Start small and scale!

Gimlet

Kingfisher
Maersk, the Denmark based global leader in manufacturing and rental of containers (among other things) had their Chinese container manufacturing plant shut down early 2020 to halt the spread of covid. Not replacing worn out containers of course is a part of shortage.

But good news! China is acquiring the Maersk container manufacturing business and will close the deal quickly:

Maersk has been buying up distribution channels here in the US and Europe

None of this is evidence of a controlled demotion of our supply chain. This is not divvying up the steaks from the beached tuna. Just ask Snopes.

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I expect the panic buying to start, making things worse. The supply shortage issue has been floating in the news so normies will go to the supermarket and buy whatever they can afford. Remember just a few months ago on the east coast they were putting gasoline in plastic bags because of a temporary shortage. November could be a challenge. Get used to going to multiple stores on the day you shop for food.

I'd resist the temptation to excessive stock up in order to relieve your anxiety. Christ commanded us not to worry about tomorrow. Buy within reason, use temperance, and trust in God, not your own abilities. Any acute shortage that happens will pass.

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
From what I could tell at my local grocery store, there wasn't too much that was missing, at least not that I noticed. Prices definitely do seem to be going up, however. I'll try to go to some different stores over the next few weeks and see how they compare.

Gimlet

Kingfisher

Nonsense.

They can change the currency as a part of the terms of the deal, so I call BS.

More likely it is the new China policy "Dual Control of Energy Consumption" which shuts down factories on a rolling basis. (look it up) I don't know the rhyme and reason to when they are shut down and why... But to shut down goods headed to the current superpower makes sense, if you want to take its place.

I stand behind my belief that this is all deliberate.

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member
From what I could tell at my local grocery store, there wasn't too much that was missing, at least not that I noticed. Prices definitely do seem to be going up, however. I'll try to go to some different stores over the next few weeks and see how they compare.
I'm in Western New York.

I've noticed the bold as well. Two staples in the kid's snack category of my household have almost doubled since about a week and a half ago.

There were a few empty shelves in random places around the store, but I couldn't be sure if some shelves were due to any shortage of something or if they were just moving product around and I was seeing the empty spot. Then again, the aisle with all the paper products (tp, tissue, paper towel, paper plates, napkins) was bare bones.

Cases of bottled water were noticeably low, Gatorade and Powerade were non existent.

I'm heading out in a while to do some more shopping. It's much easier and quieter in the late evening, and I'll be a little more attentive to the aisles tonight.

budoslavic

Eagle
Orthodox
Gold Member
Cases of bottled water were noticeably low, Gatorade and Powerade were non existent.
As an alternative, you could buy a 5 gallon jug for less than $20 in a Walmart store to use it to refill water.

I have three 5 gallon jugs of water in my kitchen since I never buy cases of bottled water. The water refill machine in a local supermarket near me only costs $2.25 to fill a 5 gallon jug.

Edit.

As for Gatorade, I always buy a box of Gatorade's Propel packets. You may want to consider looking into various boxes of powdered/mixed drink packets.

Barefaced

Sparrow
As an alternative, you could buy a 5 gallon jug for less than $20 in a Walmart store to use it to refill water.

I have three 5 gallon jugs of water in my kitchen since I never buy cases of bottled water. The water refill machine in a local supermarket near me only costs $2.25 to fill a 5 gallon jug.

Edit.

As for Gatorade, I always buy a box of Gatorade's Propel packets. You may want to consider looking into various boxes of powdered/mixed drink packets.
You may want to find an alternative electrolyte drink/powder, as fetal cell lines are used in the production of Gatorade and Propel (PepsiCo).

scubadude

Woodpecker
I expect the panic buying to start, making things worse. The supply shortage issue has been floating in the news so normies will go to the supermarket and buy whatever they can afford. Remember just a few months ago on the east coast they were putting gasoline in plastic bags because of a temporary shortage. November could be a challenge. Get used to going to multiple stores on the day you shop for food.

I'd resist the temptation to excessive stock up in order to relieve your anxiety. Christ commanded us not to worry about tomorrow. Buy within reason, use temperance, and trust in God, not your own abilities. Any acute shortage that happens will pass.
Absolutely, don’t buy to relieve anxiety. It’s also completely reasonable to always have whatever supply that one deems appropriate to be generally prepared for most general disasters or times of uncertainty. God also had people prepare for times of famine. Many of his animals stock food for winter (either store it like squirrels or consume extra to hibernate) when they know it won’t be available. Preparing for very likely and apparent incoming problems (now or 5 years from now) is not a lack of faith.

Gimlet

Kingfisher
Panic buying is a made up term by the media that became a self fulfilling prophecy. (I am speaking of the US.) Last year, when everything shut down at once, toilet paper, paper towels and bleach disappeared in a day. The media said it was panic buying. How did they come to that conclusion? They did not ask anyone with industry experience.

The reason why those goods disappeared in a day is because locational shopping patterns completely shifted in 1 day. What I mean is this: Some people pick up products at the superstore off the highway during their commute home. Some people pick them up on the way home from dropping kids off at soccer practice. Or after bowling, or night school. Main food shopping is done near their house on Sat/Sun. Overnight when everything shut down, the shopping patterns changed so that the shopping center off the highway that expects traffic during the week got none, and everyone went to their local grocer/walmart etc. That place sold out while the usual commuter walmart/target etc was stocked. I personally went to a commuter Target and bought a dozen 2 packs of N95 masks, toilet paper etc when it happened.

I know this because I took several "Demand Planning" courses for Walmart business and learned how it works. I also learned that Walmart cannot shift goods from 1 store to another (i.e. commuter store to neighborhood) because their supply chain is not set up for it. Teh DCs can make changes, which takes a week. Supermarkets are the same. I learned well because if you dont get it, you get bounced and will never return.

They just called it Panic Buying because the people who work for the media are morons who think Google is enough. That said, I don't think it was on purpose. They just never thought to ask anyone with experience, because they are smarter than a lowly worker like me. They could have reported, "Go back to your usual store to buy what you need for two weeks. Your retailers will catch up" but these are morons reporting. So what happened? They said TP is scarce so people are panic buying!!!" So everyone who saw TP tripled up.

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member
And regarding what Gimlet wrote above, another factor was that folks were buying only one or two more than usual as far as the non-perishables.

Suddenly a store is out of tp, and the nuts run to the store down the road and there's that one whack job that starts hoarding.

Ironic because tp is more of a luxury in a shortage.

An0dyne

Robin
Joseph used good stewardship to store extra from the seven years of plenty to prepare for the seven years of famine. Joseph was a type of the Lord Christ, Who told us to be wise as serpents and innocent as doves. It would be foolish to not read the signs of the times and be prepared (of course, we should also not be anxious and panicked, or “panic buy” out of fear for tomorrow. But we should use our God-given abilities to wisely plan).

Sam Malone

Ostrich
Gold Member
Went on a grocery run this morning and made a point to check out almost all the aisles.

For now, Lunchables, about 1/3 of the yogurt, and pickles were noticeably empty and included a few "We're Sorry" type of signs. There were also quite a few sections throughout the store that utilized 'facing' (when the product is moved to the front of the shelf to hide what's behind it, which in this case was nothing).

For what it's worth, the cat food shelves had sporadic holes, so maybe the crazy cat ladies are stocking up, too.

Here's a few pics of the signs that are being posted. In the 'temporarily out of stock' pic, the store filled the empty space with their generic brand.

Take note of the Kraft sign:

Attachments

• 7D3B0744-674C-4E89-827C-3F0CDE3C960C.jpeg
    7D3B0744-674C-4E89-827C-3F0CDE3C960C.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 30
  • EC5D542A-A90C-440C-A7FD-AFDB77D04F0A.jpeg
    EC5D542A-A90C-440C-A7FD-AFDB77D04F0A.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 3FB151E6-6148-44D4-87BD-5E40153AB662.jpeg
    3FB151E6-6148-44D4-87BD-5E40153AB662.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 30